Abused Ruger Old Army

PDA

aHFo3
April 9, 2013, 02:37 AM
I bought an abused ROA today. A previous owner tried to customize the original cylinder with a grinder and a drill. One charge hold has a thread less, oversized hole where the nipple should be, and the charge hole is slightly oversized and out of round. The base pin retention screw is beat up where they tried to drive it out with a punch or screwdriver.

On the other hand, the action is as it should be, and 5/6ths of the charge holes are perfect.

What would you all do with it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Abused Ruger Old Army" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acorn Mush
April 9, 2013, 02:52 AM
If it was me, I'd contact Ruger just on the off chance they would still repair it. You sure have nothing to lose by trying.

kituwa
April 9, 2013, 03:02 AM
Sumitko will prolly see this and give you some good advice. Lots of others here too but i know he knows the ROA's well.There is some place that makes customized cylinders for them i think? It is the best cap and ball so it is well worth fixing it up i think.

woodnbow
April 9, 2013, 08:32 AM
Try Ruger first. After that I'd start haunting gun shows and gunbroker for other parts, classicballistx.com for a cylinder...

On a side note, it never fails to amaze me how ham handed and just stupid people can be... :cuss: helluva fate for such a fine arm. :fire:

J-Bar
April 9, 2013, 09:56 AM
Once in a while a cylinder shows up on a gun auction website like Gunbroker. Keep watching. Or you could buy a conversion cylinder for .45 colt from Kirst and another ROA, and have two guns; one gun for cartridges and one for percussion caps.

mykeal
April 9, 2013, 01:07 PM
The cylinder is not repairable; if it were my gun I'd purchase a classicballistx cylinder and put the old one in the parts bin. Ruger will not repair it, but asking costs nothing so give it a try.

dprice3844444
April 9, 2013, 01:11 PM
blue or stainless?

dprice3844444
April 9, 2013, 01:18 PM
http://classicballistx.com/Spring2012offer.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/oldArmy.pdf w/contact number for parts
http://roaparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=8dfe125b52c6cbd34b5e9dfd35fbbca7

aHFo3
April 9, 2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the great info. It's stainless.
I called Ruger. It costs $99 for a replacement cylinder and $80 to fit it and ship it back.
Here are some pics

Jim, West PA
April 9, 2013, 03:37 PM
Ruger will indeed repair it. Give them a call, BE PATIENT !!, tell them your situation, they will give you a RO # and in a week er two you'll get it back good as new.
They just did this for with an OA with no cylinder.
Mine came back with new cylinder, rebuilt inards and it cost me $0 !!
( they told me it was gonna cost me $130.00 )
They thanked me for bein a customer.

aHFo3
April 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
Any danger in using it as is, as a 5-shooter?

JN01
April 9, 2013, 04:13 PM
What the hell? Was that goober auditioning for one of those "reality" TV gun smithing shows? What, exactly, was he attempting to do?

AbitNutz
April 9, 2013, 04:44 PM
Wow, I'm stunned by what was done to that pistol. Fortunately it's stainless so the scratches on the frame can likely be polished out. I suspect that even the retaining pin can be saved.

The cylinder, that be toast...

Patocazador
April 9, 2013, 06:32 PM
Definitely send it back for REPAIR from Ruger. They will probably send you a new cylinder and only charge you for the repair ... or not charge you at all.
A new cylinder from ClassicBallistx will run about 2 bills.

mykeal
April 9, 2013, 06:46 PM
Patocazador +!. That's good news about Ruger repairing your revolver. Definitely take them up on it.

kituwa
April 9, 2013, 06:59 PM
Really makes you wonder what the previous owner was doing.Must have been removing a stuck nipple with a electric drill in one hand and a beer in the other,lol.Wonder why he had ground of the writing around the cylinder? Did he grind off anything on the frame too?

J-Bar
April 9, 2013, 07:47 PM
Dang! That looks like something a woman would do after her husband announced he was going to divorce her!

I'm glad Ruger can still help you out. I understood they were out of parts. I am delighted that I was wrong.

I still think it's a good idea to buy a second one, though.

wap41
April 9, 2013, 07:54 PM
Who did you call to get repairs done on your ROA.I called them last fall to have a broker base pin replaced and they said they no longer had any parts or did any service on old armys.

aHFo3
April 9, 2013, 08:15 PM
I called the number in DPrice's link. I spoke to Wayne or Dwayne. Their system said zero cylinders, but he spoke to a tech who said they had them. I'm sending it tomorrow.

Would you send the boogered cylinder along with the gun?
Thank you all for your input!

I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

Patocazador
April 9, 2013, 09:07 PM
I called the number in DPrice's link. I spoke to Wayne or Dwayne. Their system said zero cylinders, but he spoke to a tech who said they had them. I'm sending it tomorrow.

Would you send the boogered cylinder along with the gun?
Thank you all for your input!

I'll update as soon as I hear anything.
If you don't send the whole gun, they may not repair it since they only repair genuine Ruger items. They don't sell cylinders but they do replace/repair them. How can they repair something you don't send????
You may not get your original cylinder back since they don't want defective parts 'out there.'

crazyjennyblack
April 9, 2013, 09:27 PM
WOW. Just WOW. however, I think the cylinder could be repaired. Not worth the effort if you can get a new one for under a hundred bucks, but could be done. Widen the hole some more, and thread it for a plug which could be used as an adapter for an original nipple.

The damage to the outside of the cylinder could be fixed by someone with a lathe who could merely finish up the groove the goober made. Looks like the guy was trying to erase the text stamp ring on the cylinder, and maybe fit the chambers for some other kind of bigger nipple, or maybe a 209 primer ignition system.

I would definitely keep the original cylinder. You could end up doing something interesting with it like changing the nipples to use something bigger. I don't think its a total loss, but it would take a ton of work and skill to make anything useful out of it. If you send it to Ruger, they will probably just dump it in the trash and not send it back to you.

josiewales
April 9, 2013, 10:24 PM
Send it to Ruger! Some of the best CS in the industry!

Pancho
April 10, 2013, 12:14 AM
Have them fit a new cylinder and keep the 5/6. After all most guys only load 5/6 anyway.

Acorn Mush
April 10, 2013, 01:06 AM
aHFo3, I STRONGLY suggest you send that cylinder back to Ruger with your revolver. Sure it is fun to think about what could be done with an extra cylinder and all, but heed well Patocazador's words. Is it really worth the risk to you of Ruger not repairing your revolver just because you wanted to keep the old cylinder for experimentation?

Wuz it me buddy I'd send it back, cylinder and all. Ruger will do you right.

aHFo3
April 10, 2013, 01:10 AM
It's boxed up, cylinder and all, ready to ship tomorrow.

I'll update ASAP

Jim, West PA
April 10, 2013, 07:59 AM
I know you will be very please with how they treat you.

4v50 Gary
April 10, 2013, 08:35 AM
Glad Ruger can still replace the cylinder.

BHP FAN
April 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
Good choice. which would you rather have, a good as new ROA, or a fancy pencil holder?

tom e gun
April 13, 2013, 01:07 AM
i just acquired an Old Army a while back that could probably use some checking out by ruger, i'm glad you fellas were discussing this!

Noz
April 15, 2013, 12:32 PM
Really makes you wonder what the previous owner was doing.Must have been removing a stuck nipple with a electric drill in one hand and a beer in the other,lol.Wonder why he had ground of the writing around the cylinder? Did he grind off anything on the frame too?
Hey Bubba! Watch this!

Jim, West PA
April 15, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hey Bubba! Watch this! Ha ha.
But, not near as bad as ..." here, hold my beer " :uhoh:
lol

classicballistx
April 18, 2013, 07:20 PM
All -

We've seen a few brutalized guns in our time and never seen anything to compare to Ruger's superb customer service.

It's been interesting to see what's happened in cases where our customer was unable to get timing/lockup satisfactorily with CBX cylinders, but upon our recommendation sent his gun off to Ruger for repair. In each case, the gun came back with proper pawl and latch, after which it timed and locked perfectly with our cylinders and the OEM returned with the gun.

We can't speak as to whether Ruger replaced the OEM cylinders, but there's proof positive that Ruger built one fine gun in the ROA and stands behind it even though it's no longer in manufacture. It may be that we're in the grace of Bill Sr's ghost and his admonition that the ROA was his favorite.

In any event, whether your gun has seen a lot of use, been abused, or was one of the unfortunate later production articles made on tooling at the end of its wear cycle, Ruger's service men will put it right and for a song if not free. Without reservation, we recommend you let their professionals do their job.

Still, we follow a tough act with what we think is the best option possible with every Classicballistx cylinder we sell. It makes us very proud every time we hear from one of you who's taken advantage of that. It really doesn't matter to us whether your benefit is six more rounds quickly, a win at bullseye or silhoutte, or a hog's shoulder broken down. What matters is that what we did works for you.

There's a horizon. Some of you may have read our rants about ROA's, big loads, and big hands. My personal solution is a Colt 1860 Army grip frame. Walt's is a Bisley. We thought you all might enjoy the option and we should be offering that by fall, hammers and triggers as well.

Same goes for our CBX ROA rear sight that adjusts down about 30 MOA or ~7 inches at 25 yards. It's streamlined, making your adjustable more like a fixed sight in profile. Last but not least is a loading pivot that doesn't need a coin to change out. It makes having our extra cylinders even handier.

The only thing we can't seem to do is persuade Ruger to re-introduce the ROA. Oh well....

Cheers!

Wisent
Classicballistx

AbitNutz
April 19, 2013, 10:18 AM
I am so happy things are going well! I'll buy whatever you come out with. I'm really happy with my Power Customs Colt billet frame but if it were a bit bigger....that would really be nice.

The last cylinder I got from you was excellent. I'll be ordering another shortly.

Patocazador
April 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
All -
It's been interesting to see what's happened in cases where our customer was unable to get timing/lockup satisfactorily with CBX cylinders, but upon our recommendation sent his gun off to Ruger for repair. In each case, the gun came back with proper pawl and latch, after which it timed and locked perfectly with our cylinders and the OEM returned with the gun.

We can't speak as to whether Ruger replaced the OEM cylinders, but there's proof positive that Ruger built one fine gun in the ROA and stands behind it even though it's no longer in manufacture.
Still, we follow a tough act with what we think is the best option possible with every Classicballistx cylinder we sell. It makes us very proud every time we hear from one of you who's taken advantage of that. It really doesn't matter to us whether your benefit is six more rounds quickly, a win at bullseye or silhoutte, or a hog's shoulder broken down. What matters is that what we did works for you.
The only thing we can't seem to do is persuade Ruger to re-introduce the ROA. Oh well....

Cheers!

Wisent
Classicballistx
I can affirm that the replacement cylinder that I got from ClassicBallistx is more uniform on its tolerances and better finished than my OE cylinder that came with my ROA.

That news from Wisent about the rear sight and the Bisley grip really gets me excited.

Jim, West PA
April 24, 2013, 10:51 AM
Mmmmm.... i 'spect we should be hearin' the outcome of this any time now.

raa-7
April 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
i just acquired an Old Army a while back that could probably use some checking out by ruger, i'm glad you fellas were discussing this! I've never had to send any of my Rugers back for anything.That alone makes me a happy customer.But I do know that they treat they're customers well. I'm sure they will check out your ROA to make sure it's good to go.I'm looking to trade to get e ROA myself,as I've been wanting one for a long time now.good luck with yers :D

woodnbow
April 24, 2013, 08:45 PM
"Walt's is a Bisley. We thought you all might enjoy the option and we should be offering that by fall, hammers and triggers as well."

Oh man, you just made my day! The Pachmeyer grip works really well, but it's uglier than a mud fence. The Bisley grip looks as good as it works! Then you say you're coming up with a new tool free base pin release?? We've won the lottery boys!!

Jaymo
April 24, 2013, 09:44 PM
All hail Classicballistx!

CBX cylinder, Bisley grip and hammer, and pivot pin that doesn't require a coin.
The stuff dreams are made of.
I love Bisleys.
I hated the way they looked for many years.
Then I held one.
I no longer hate them.
Now, I covet them.
I must have.

aHFo3
April 25, 2013, 01:41 AM
UPDATE:

I have yet to hear anything from Ruger. I'm being patient and searching for percussion caps and .457" lead balls.

Maybe tomorrow...

AbitNutz
April 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
I may have to buy yet another ROA just to mess with the new Classicballistx stuff

Jim, West PA
April 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
Any reason's a good one Nutz :D

Cosmoline
April 25, 2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe he was going to D&T the bigger hole for a musket nipple using musket caps for better liftoff? Weird.

Ruger will help you.

Dan D
April 28, 2013, 12:29 AM
I hope things turn out as well as expected. Let us know what the final result is.
Dan

Jim, West PA
April 30, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mmmm....it's beem 3 weeks.

aHFo3
May 1, 2013, 01:19 AM
Still not a word. I think I'll call them tomorrow.

aHFo3
May 1, 2013, 06:38 PM
I thought I'd read Ruger's FAQ section prior to bugging them over the phone. I learned that I should receive correspondence in the mail from them when they're ready to begin work. I'll wait for that bit of mail before inquiring about the repair.

FYI they received the gun, according to my tracking number, on April 12th.

Jim, West PA
May 1, 2013, 09:38 PM
Wow, they called me within 3 days of me mailing mine and i had it back in my hands exactly 14 days after mailing.
They must be backed up a bit huh?

BHP FAN
May 2, 2013, 11:39 PM
that or they're still handing it around to the repair guys at the factory saying ''will you look at this!? I'm sure all will be well. call if you're worried, I'm sure they will reassure you.

aHFo3
May 3, 2013, 09:35 PM
Today I received a UPS ship notification that a 4lb package is coming 2nd Day Air from New Hampshire.

I haven't received any correspondence from Ruger.

I'm cautiously optimistic, and I'll let you all know what's in the package on Tuesday - that's the estimated delivery day.

Acorn Mush
May 3, 2013, 11:20 PM
We'll be cautiously optimistic with you. Here's hoping.......

Patocazador
May 4, 2013, 11:21 AM
With no prior notice they either did the job gratis .. or passed on doing it. Time will tell.

aHFo3
May 7, 2013, 11:19 PM
No UPS delivery today. The scheduled delivery has been bumped to Thursday. The package shows and arrival on 5/05 to UPS @ Louisville, Kentucky and it hasn't moved since. Patience is tough!!!

Jim, West PA
May 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
I'd be giving UPS a jangle for sure.

Since Ruger didn't contact you. They most definately did the job as Patocazador
says.............."gratis" .............no charge.............FREE even !!! http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174492&d=1352564341

Ruger aint gonna send you your repaired gun with a bill.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173279&d=1349922206

aHFo3
May 9, 2013, 06:52 PM
Ruger amazed me. They replaced the cylinder, nipples, hammer, trigger, base-pin, base-pin retention screw, fixed the front sight and polished the scratches away. They didn't charge me a dime and I got a new box too!
Needless to say, I'm very pleased and I'll be a stronger Ruger supporter in the future.

Rojelio
May 9, 2013, 07:09 PM
Amazing! It's like a brand new gun now. Can't beat that with a stick:)

harvester
May 9, 2013, 10:43 PM
I need more Rugers.

Acorn Mush
May 10, 2013, 02:47 AM
Ruger amazed me. They replaced the cylinder, nipples, hammer, trigger, base-pin, base-pin retention screw, fixed the front sight and polished the scratches away. They didn't charge me a dime and I got a new box too!

Told ya!:D

I'm thinkin' you're thinkin' it was well worth the wait.:D

AbitNutz
May 10, 2013, 11:12 AM
Wow! Is all I can say...

Ryden
May 10, 2013, 11:57 AM
I so whish I could have one of those!:banghead:

Patocazador
May 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
Needless to say, I'm very pleased and I'll be a stronger Ruger supporter in the future.
Did you check the serial number? Maybe they DID give you a new gun. ;)

BHP FAN
May 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Freaking sweet!

aHFo3
May 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I feel very blessed - I only have $240 in it!

I can't say it enough though, Ruger is a phenomenal company.

Jim, West PA
May 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
Ruger takes great pride in thier products and they should.
They also have huge respect for thier customers.
Most stand up gun builders there is !!!

GREAT stuff aHFo3.
Thank you for sharing this with us all.

sota
May 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
that is one pretty looking gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Abused Ruger Old Army" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!