Well, I got my lower parts kit and it's not pink.

PDA

freewheeling
April 9, 2013, 02:04 PM
Whew! Just looking at it at the moment. The lower is black (MAG Tactical, magnesium alloy) but the parts kit with a Magpul stock and grip is dark earth. Now I have to narrow down the search for an upper. Here are the criteria:

* Barrel Length: 16 inches (16.5?)
* Midlength Gas Systsem (Middy)
* Material: Stainless Steel or 4150 with chrome lining
* Barrel Profile: Medium or SPR, possibly lightweight (possibly fluted)
* Chamber: Wylde (.223 & 5.56) (NATO Match is the same as Wylde)
* Twist: 7 or 8 (to use hotter loads up to 75)
and to implement it
Upper:
* A3 or Flat Top (allows mounting any sight as attachment)
* Receiver ramps have to match whichever barrel I get, rifle or M4.
Sights:
* Vortex SPARC or TRS-25
FSB:
* Tapered pins.
Bolts & Carriers:
* MP inspected (magnetic particles for defects)
* Shot peened (like bead blasted but more so)
* Staked carrier key (pressure inserted, like ZT thumb studs)
Fire Control Group (hammer, trigger, sear):
* I think the trigger is already part of the lower parts group, but stock trigger can be tuned for about $30.
Possible Options:
* Piston Gas System
* Fluted Barrel
* .22 LR Conversion Kit

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, I got my lower parts kit and it's not pink." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
April 9, 2013, 02:19 PM
i'm trying to finish up a build with pink furniture for my wife right now

Walkalong
April 9, 2013, 02:25 PM
My wife wants a pink AR. I am just going to wait it out.

NeuseRvrRat
April 9, 2013, 02:36 PM
i had some of the parts pre-panic. only part i ended up overpaying for was the BCG. oh well.

freewheeling
April 9, 2013, 03:35 PM
i had some of the parts pre-panic. only part i ended up overpaying for was the BCG. oh well.

I was lucky to get a decent lower. Will just watch and remain somewhat flexible. I'd even be willing to go up to a 24" barrel. I guess the fact that an entire country of relatively rugged types (Australia) went gunless in a sudden frenzy makes such a thing in the US plausible, but the ability to manufacture parts at home within the next 5 to 10 will put an end to this constant sword of Damocles. At that point the only control left for the state will be ammo, and I'm sure Americans will find a way around that just as they did with auto-opening knives. I mean, some of the alternative knife opening systems work so well that people commonly "de-assist" their knives, and that's mostly *because* the ban spurred innovation.

M1key
April 9, 2013, 03:42 PM
I asked my wife if she wanted a pink AR...her answer was H-E-double hockeystix-NO. So I guess that answers that, thank goodness. ;)

M

freewheeling
April 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
I wonder how much it will cost to build your own phaser, and will the stun setting be extra?

freewheeling
April 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
Put it together with a little cussing and some finesse. The take-down spring came out and flew all over the room so I looked for it for a couple of hours and couldn't find it. Giving up I started to pack everything up and found it laying on the desk right in front of me! Some kind of sign or something?

There were a few parts left over. Most have to do with the trigger guard which I didn't need but then there some kind of adjustment thing that goes with the stock and can't find a place for it. Oh well, half a gun so now I'm really looking for an upper.

Update: Apparently the adjustment thingy is a friction lock to keep the stock from wiggling, but I'm not sure where it goes. Not really necessary anyway. I also found my old spanner wrench so I could tighten the slotted nut for the buffer tube. Looks like I've also got most of the tools I need to put together an upper too. Now to find one...

InkEd
April 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
MagPul sells a complete pink MOE kit in a clamshell package. That seems like the easiest way to do it.

freewheeling
April 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty happy with the dark earth or coyote brown or whatever it is. I didn't realize, at first, that the buffer spring goes in the buffer tube, LOL. No pics in the instructions and so I thought the buffer spring was that little doohickey, and stuck the buffer tube into the stock so it was pretty much spring loaded. Ooops.

Think I got 'er now. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, I got my lower parts kit and it's not pink." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!