Mystery Winchester... What model is it?

PDA

CoyoteSix
April 9, 2013, 11:37 PM
Hey, all I'm in the market for a pump shotgun. I decided that browsing my local pawn shop (Pawn #1) my find me a good deal on a shotgun that needs a home. (I adopt rescue dogs, why not guns? :rolleyes: ).

On the shelf were three that caught my. An Ithaca something in a field gun configuration $179, a S&W M-something with a youth-ish stock and strange choke $200-ish, and finally, a poor bastardized Winchester for $99.

I got to handle the Winchester, the action was smooth, it had a 28 or 30 inch barrel with a vent rib and bead, A Strange, shortish looking fore-arm/comb, a standard 2+1 tube, and was covered in black paint with some of the wood stock showing through. I couldn't see what model it was.

I'm willing to save this poor orphan gun but I want to know what model it is so I can research and make sure it's worth the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery Winchester... What model is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PabloJ
April 10, 2013, 12:58 AM
Impossible to tell from info given. If it has alloy receiver it's probably model 1200 or 1300. The Sears or Montgomery Ward version was called Model 120 or Ranger if I recall correctly. The best value in Winchester pump was old Model 12 'Cowhand's version' with fixed barrel which was referred to as Model 25.

jaguarxk120
April 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
If it is a 1200/1300 be aware that there are parts in the gun that wear/break and are not made any more. Also the 1200/1300 was Winchesters way of making a cheap gun, aluminum recievers stamped/plastic parts, cheaper wood stocks.

Do they shoot, yes very well till they break something.

WardenWolf
April 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
If it is a 1200/1300 be aware that there are parts in the gun that wear/break and are not made any more. Also the 1200/1300 was Winchesters way of making a cheap gun, aluminum recievers stamped/plastic parts, cheaper wood stocks.

Do they shoot, yes very well till they break something.

It depends. The earlier ones were better quality and had all metal parts. I've heard they can sometimes break extractors, but that's about it. If you get a good one, chances are it'll outlast you unless you really run it hard or constantly shoot magnum loads. I had a Winchester 1300 20 gauge that was an incredibly smooth gun. The only reason I don't use it anymore was because it was particularly unsuited for quail hunting (too slow and the modified choke it had was too tight), and I replaced it with a Saiga 12 when they were cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery Winchester... What model is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!