Conical bullet question- Will they work?

PDA

LivewireBlanco
April 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
I picked up a half full box of .457 Buffalo Arms 190gr conical lead bullets for $2 at the LGS. I have an 1860 Army Pietta that I would like to shoot them in. Did I waste $2 or will they work even though they are a bit bigger than .451?

If you enjoyed reading about "Conical bullet question- Will they work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dframe
April 11, 2013, 03:05 PM
No You shouldn't have much trouble with them. Their additional length sometimes makes it harder to get them under the rammer, and you must adjust your powder charges to accomidate LESS room in the chambers. Most people at some time or other try conicals in their cap and ball revolvers, though nearly all eventually go back to round ball. A few like them and continue to use them. Some are so long as to be impossible to load unless you remove and load the cylinder separately. Thats what I do if I use them. There is some disagreement about whether you need to lube over the conicals since most have some sort of grease groove. I always err on the side of caution and grease over the conicals just like I do with RB. Good luck and please give us a range report on your experiance with them. $2 a box is a teriffic price. I'm jealous.

Patocazador
April 11, 2013, 04:36 PM
You want them bigger than .451 to shave off lead when loading. Otherwise you may have bullets backing away from the powder charge during recoil.
I shot some 210 grain conicals in my ROA and they were quite accurate with 3FG Goex. I like flat-nosed bullets for hunting otherwise I would use them on deer.

LivewireBlanco
April 11, 2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give them a try with about 20 grains of Jim Shockey's Gold behind them and see what I see! :)

woodnbow
April 11, 2013, 09:06 PM
shoot me a PM and I'll trade you a box of .451 Buffalo Bullets made for the Italian replicas. I have an Old Army Ruger that would love those boolits! :D

BTW, they may just work, chamber diameters do vary...

If you enjoyed reading about "Conical bullet question- Will they work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!