Anyone else hunting turkeys with a frontloader?

PDA

kbbailey
April 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
I have been carrying my Pedersoli 12ga sxs this spring. I made a powder/shot measure from a 28ga empty and my wads in a ziploc bag. lol I'm hoping I don't need to reload! 1 1/8oz of #4s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else hunting turkeys with a frontloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim, West PA
April 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
I built one years back. Hunted with it twice.
Didn't get a chance to use 'er.
Sold 'er recently to an avid turkey hunter.

loose noose
April 11, 2013, 08:52 PM
kbbailey, I just finished building my Pedersoli SXS 12 ga. about 2 months ago. I plan on using it this fall in UP Michigan on wild turkeys. My brother-in-law says the wild turkey out there are all over the place and becoming a pest. I plan on using 1 1/4 oz. of #4 shot and an equal amount of BP (from the same shot container), definitiely not 1 1/4 oz of BP! I got some wadding from TOW and I lube 'em with Bore Butter, (1/8" Nitro Card over the powder, followed by a fiber wad, the shot and a thin card over the shot). My Pedersoli will keep 87% of the right barrel in a 30" circle at 25 yards, and 90% +or- in that same circle from 25 yards. Any further than that I'll give 'em a free pass. BTW why are you only using 1 1/8 oz of shot?:)

AJumbo
April 11, 2013, 08:55 PM
My dad got his most recent turkey with his Pedersoli 10 ga. I think his load was 95 gr of Pyrodex Select under 1 3/8 oz. of "T" shot. Fiber wad, no shot cup. Yeah, it's a stout load, but Dad hates it when turkeys don't fall down. The only thing I might have done differently might be to drop down to 1 1/4 oz. of #6; faster, with more pellets in the pattern. Whatever you choose for a load, it's always worthwhile to pattern it.

kbbailey
April 11, 2013, 09:42 PM
BTW why are you only using 1 1/8 oz of shot?

I thought the 1 1/8 load patterned a little better than the 1 1/4 oz load for some odd reason. I punch out the same felt material for wad that I use on my .44 cap 'n ball revolvers. (google Duro-felt) Lubed with Crisco.
I may try the 1 1/4 load again....my pattern test was limited to just a few shots.

loose noose
April 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
kbbailey, where did ya get a punch for 12ga. I believe .742 diameter? I use a punch for my .44 & 36 C&B's but was unable to find one for my 12ga.:)

kbbailey
April 14, 2013, 12:04 PM
Loosenoose,

Sorry for the delayed answer, been gone for a cpl days.

I bought my sxs used from a guy who threw the punch in to sweeten the deal. I will go look at it for abrand name or other clue for you.

loose noose
April 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
kbbailey, I'll be awaiting your resonse, believe me I've been looking all over for one, to no avail.

kbbailey
April 16, 2013, 06:01 PM
It is marked General. I googled and found some available. google '3/4 inch hole punch'.

loose noose
April 16, 2013, 09:34 PM
kbbailey, I got your PM, thanks for the info. I plan on getting a hold of Graingers and see if I can order one here shortly. Thanks again.:)

bigbore442001
April 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hopefully on April 29th I will be out in the wilds with my TC Black Mountain Magnum 12 guage percussion shotgun. It is a beauty to carry and so far I have taken one gobbler with it.

Maybe this week I shall do some pratice with it.

kbbailey
April 17, 2013, 11:26 PM
I had an opportunity to do some more testing today. I settled on 1 1/4oz of #6 shot my sxs. The #4s just left too many holes in the pattern. I am confident out to 35yds.
Hopefully we find out tomorrow morning whether the #6s work for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else hunting turkeys with a frontloader?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!