Grease or just oil?

PDA

SoFRamRod
April 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
Do you grease certain parts of your gun or just use oil?
I've heard arguments for both. I've always just used oil myself but new I'm wondering if I shouldn't be using grease on some moving parts more subject to wear.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grease or just oil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bovice
April 11, 2013, 10:40 PM
Frame rails, outer barrel surfaces and barrel lugs get grease. For long term storage, oil goes in the bore and on the metal surfaces.

SlamFire1
April 11, 2013, 10:43 PM
Grease is a thickner with oil. The oil does the lubrication. Greases hold to surfaces better.

For the number of rounds I shoot, the surface holding ability of grease does not matter. Oils clean up easier, I tried grease in my M1911's, the stuff is much harder to remove from all the nooks and crannies.

bikerdoc
April 11, 2013, 10:53 PM
Grandpa used to say ,
If it rusts, oil it, If it moves grease it.
I use a small amount of Mobil one on my rails.

theblaze
April 11, 2013, 10:55 PM
I've seen heavy coats of heavy grease on slide rails slow the action enough to cause malfunctions.

On the other hand, light coats of light grease (like Tetra) can work well on slide rails. I do that myself for pistols that may set for a long time before they need to be used.

For general use, and definitely for competition use where the gun sees a lot of use, oil works just fine.

icanthitabarn
April 11, 2013, 11:00 PM
I grease with reload lube in warmer weather.

JTQ
April 12, 2013, 12:06 AM
I use oil, but then I'm shooting all steel guns.

The SIG guys recommend grease for their aluminum framed guns.

http://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-sig-sauer-pistol-rails/

non2os13
April 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
I use tetra grease for the slide rails and other high friction areas.

Fremmer
April 12, 2013, 01:22 AM
Bought a new sig, used tetra on the rails and was impressed enough that I'll use it on all my semi's.

marcclarke
April 12, 2013, 04:19 AM
I use tetra grease for the slide rails and other high friction areas.

Same here. Shooter's Choice red synthetic grease also works well.

ku4hx
April 12, 2013, 08:55 AM
I just follow the manufacturer's advice usually found in the owner's manual. Has served me (and the guns) perfectly well for 50+ years.

The Lone Haranguer
April 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
Grease is probably best on frame rails that make full contact with the slide, especially aluminum frames. SIG-Sauer recommends grease there, for example. Plastic frames that just have little steel tabs only need a little oil.

bigfatdave
April 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
I grease things that slide and oil everything else.

Good thing to have on hand, don't spend too much time worrying about the "best" grease, anything for guns is fine and will last a long time. The syringe applicators are nice, and refillibale if you manage to empty one.

The Lone Haranguer
April 12, 2013, 09:43 AM
All the grease you really need is a dab about the size of a kitchen match head, rubbed in with your finger and the excess wiped off after the gun is assembled. It doesn't need to ooze everywhere.

flphotog
April 12, 2013, 09:47 AM
I used to use grease but since switching to break free cop that's all I use. I also makes cleaning a lot quicker.

Urban_Redneck
April 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
An acid brush makes applying a thin coat of grease fast and easy.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Staples/s0481427_sc7?$splssku$

YMMV

Bovice
April 12, 2013, 12:08 PM
"Heavy coats of grease" causing stoppages is nonsense.

If you're using an appropriate grease, it doesn't matter. If you're using bearing grease, then yes. Bearing grease makes a mess out of a gun. Not all grease is the same. Ever heard of viscosity?

Blaming lubricants for stoppages (assuming the lubricants are appropriate for the application) is just an excuse for a gun in poor condition, a design flaw, or your ammo is too weak. There's only so much space between your frame and slide for the lube to occupy. The rest gets kicked out when you reassemble.

foghornl
April 12, 2013, 02:11 PM
If it slides, grease. If it rotates, oil.

bigfatdave
April 12, 2013, 02:36 PM
+1 on the acid brush application, I either use a little bitty brush, a syringe, or a finger tip, the brush wastes the least grease.

matrem
April 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
Grease has the potential to "lube" longer, but..

In almost every lubrication requirement, proper oiling is every bit as adequate, and far harder to overdo.

red rick
April 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
Grease can hold dirt and act like a lapping compound. I use oil. Just think what oil does for your cars motor. Change your oil regular in your car and clean your guns after shooting and before if they have been setting a long time. They will last a long time.

C0untZer0
April 12, 2013, 06:37 PM
I've fired them dry, wet, and gooped up on gop, and they haven't failed.

I think lubrication is probably less critcal for Glocks than Glock owners would like to believe. I have heard that the number one reason Glocks go back to Glock is because they are over-lubricated. It may be an Internet rumor - I have no idea...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165488&stc=1&d=1338563028
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165489&stc=1&d=1338563028
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175144&stc=1&d=1353560819

I haven't had any problems - well I've head one problem, failure to ignite Wolf 9mm... and that cartridge had a good sized indentation put in the primer by the firing pin - not the gun's fault.

FuzzyBunny
April 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
Someone up there said "If it slides, grease. If it rotates, oil"

My Grandpa always said "If it slides, oil it. If it rotates, Grease it"
They grease roller bearings and wheel bearings do they not?

Course Grandpa from time to time dramk a little whiskey for rumatiz, it never cured it.

Really though with todays mixed metals in the frame and a different one for the slide, that creates other problems. I use Lubriplate or wheel bearing grease.

I think the .mil says to grease rolling things in rifles.

SabbathWolf
April 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
I just use Remington Rem Oil with Teflon.
Or other CLPs.
Works fine for me.
Never used grease in my life to be honest.

FuzzyBunny
April 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
For guns I shoot very seldom I use grease all over.
Kinda like a poormans cosmoline. Of course I wipe them down real well to get the thin film of grease off before firing.

Other guns I shoot I use either grease or oil.
Mobile 1 is a pretty good all around oil. Hard to beat the price.

On my really nice keepers for ever, hand down to the grandkids rifles I use Shield but I hear it going by another name now. On your hand me down firearns that will go down the line. Be sure and stay on top of any rust or tarnish if it has silver on it, check at least once a year.

Some I oil and keep on mason jars that I vacuum seal with a Tilia vac sealer. Over the years I have NEVER had to re oil or mess with them.

Some guns I just can't afford to shoot now. This too shall pass.

Fremmer
April 12, 2013, 09:08 PM
Neither had I, but it really seemed to prevent rail wear (at least there was no rubbing off the finish on the rails) and it really slicks up the rails. I think I read that you should use a good bead of grease, which I did. The gun will hold the grease it needs, which turned out to be true; I only had to wipe a bit off the end of the gun after reassembly, and I never had splatter or leakage or anything else.

I like the convience of the tetra applicator at the end of the tube.

April 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
I am pretty much an "oil only" sorta guy (right now it's BreakFree LP) and I only apply grease where and when a manufacturer specifies that it is necessary.

robby04162
April 13, 2013, 01:57 AM
Wheel bearing grease here on my pistols
Rifles get oil on them

okiewita40
April 13, 2013, 05:39 AM
Only oil for me. When I became the armorer for my dept. someone before me had used grease on all of the handguns. when outside in the winter they would not fire at all.

I had to break down every weapon the dept. owned. Degrease and oil them. This was with temps at just above freezing. So there is no way I would ever put grease on/in a firearm from my personal experiance.

wally
April 14, 2013, 06:39 PM
I grease things that slide and oil everything else.
All the grease you really need is a dab about the size of a kitchen match head, rubbed in with your finger and the excess wiped off after the gun is assembled. It doesn't need to ooze everywhere.

This advice is about as good as it gets, although it needs to be modified for extremely cold conditions. The lube needs to be picked for the expected temperature range. Here its totally non-critical as it rarely freezes.

I've never seen the need to use anything fancier than Break-Free CLP.

pat701
April 14, 2013, 07:49 PM
If it slides grease it, if it rolls oil it.

JockeyShifter
April 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
grease will allow sand etc to attach to the gun and grind away over time.
Being in a sandy area. sand blows with the wind and sand and grit will act like lapping compound. I oil mine but no heavy grease.

mljdeckard
April 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
If it makes a difference I have not yet seen it, but I'm far from a machining expert. The only think I have ever put grease on was when I had an M1A, I used grease where the -10 told me to. I have an M-1 Carbine, I don't use grease.

I suppose if I was doing a very high round-count course I would look at grease, and I do have an aluminum-framed Para, based on the advice above I might look into using grease on the rails.

Hurryin' Hoosier
April 15, 2013, 05:03 PM
Or maybe get the slide drilled and tapped, install a Zerk fitting, and pump in Marfak Heavy Duty 2 until it oozes out. :D

Robert101
April 15, 2013, 08:06 PM
On a light duty weapon, a film of oil is fine. It doesn't need to be applied heavily. On a handgun readied to fire 500 rounds in a match may need something more. I don't over-think this and use Mobil 1 on most all my guns.

Sun Tzu warrior
April 15, 2013, 08:26 PM
I am a mill wright, on machines I tell my customers; If it moves oil it, you can't over oil.
You can over grease ball or roller bearings causing them to slide instead of roll. When the bearings slide instead of rolling they are wearing flat spots on them. On flat sliding surfaces, grease is needed. On firearms, it is a whole different scenario. my firearms are only oiled. Grease will collect grit, and cold weather can make a greased gun fail to fire.

jsab9191
April 16, 2013, 07:36 PM
Keep you guns clean and lightly lubed. Most lubes are fine, as long as gun is cleaned regularly.

k_dawg
April 16, 2013, 08:00 PM
great on rails as it stays better on a carry weapon during hot/steamy days.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grease or just oil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!