Look how much hate there is for the NRA

PDA

larryh1108
April 12, 2013, 12:06 AM
This is how silly the lawmakers are getting in their attack on guns and groups like the NRA.

Conn. senator wants Fox to pull plug on NRA race

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A U.S. senator from Connecticut has sent a letter to media mogul Rupert Murdoch asking that Fox network not broadcast Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup race sponsored by the National Rifle Association.

Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy wrote to the News Corp. chief that the race is taking place during Senate consideration of legislation to reduce gun violence in the wake of the elementary school shootings last December in Newtown, Conn. Murphy said the race will give national attention ``to an organization that has been the face of one side of this heated debate.''

Fox officials declined comment Thursday. The NRA 500 from Texas Motor Speedway will be broadcast as scheduled.

link to entire story:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20130411/NASCAR-NRA/

If you enjoyed reading about "Look how much hate there is for the NRA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MErl
April 12, 2013, 12:10 AM
ok, I retract my doubts about their sponsorship.

Kim
April 12, 2013, 12:13 AM
A lot of our politicians at like 8y/o brats. No wonder we live in a sick society. Immature.

mokin
April 12, 2013, 12:18 AM
Totally agree with you!

There is a lot of hate out there for the NRA. Even though "they" may not represent everything we would like them to as gun owners and shooters, "they", among other things (youth instruction, instructor certification, club insurance, general promotion, etc.), offer the opposition a huge target on thier backs for the antis to point at while letting the rest of us (this includes other organizations) grt a pass to go about thier business, namely, opposing gun control.

-Gadsden-
April 12, 2013, 12:30 AM
before the brass even hit the ground in Newtown, the media had made up its mind to blame the NRA, as if they put the gun in Lanza's hand and made him pull the trigger. Most of the idiots criticizing this mythically nefarious NRA had probably never even been aware of its existence until a few months ago

joeschmoe
April 12, 2013, 12:58 AM
ok, I retract my doubts about their sponsorship.

r1derbike
April 12, 2013, 01:07 AM
Unbelievable. Antis ignorance knows no boundaries.

M2 Carbine
April 12, 2013, 01:57 AM
If the antigun people didn't hate the NRA I would be worried.

Really, it's fair, I'm a NRA life member and I hate everything about the anti gun crowd. I wouldn't give them a bucket of water if they were on fire.
So, if they do not hate me, then I must be doing something wrong.

TennJed
April 12, 2013, 02:12 AM
I have never watched a NASCAR race. I know nothing about the sport. I will watch this one.

cfullgraf
April 12, 2013, 02:14 AM

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A U.S. senator from Connecticut has sent a letter to media mogul Rupert Murdoch asking that Fox network not broadcast Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup race sponsored by the National Rifle Association.

Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy wrote to the News Corp. chief that the race is taking place during Senate consideration of legislation to reduce gun violence in the wake of the elementary school shootings last December in Newtown, Conn. Murphy said the race will give national attention ``to an organization that has been the face of one side of this heated debate.''

Fox officials declined comment Thursday. The NRA 500 from Texas Motor Speedway will be broadcast as scheduled.

The NRA message does not fit with the gun control crowd's message. Therefore, they do not want it broadcasted.

Keep those without knowledge ignorant of the facts.

docnyt
April 12, 2013, 05:33 AM
I have never watched a NASCAR race. I know nothing about the sport. I will watch this one.

It's just a bunch of expert drivers making left turns at 200 mph :)

But now they're sponsored by one of ours.

Reloadron
April 12, 2013, 05:43 AM
I want those who are anti-gun to openly hate the NRA. It makes it easy for me to identify my enemies.

I am also sick and tired of hearing about Sandy Hook. I am sorry for those who lost family to a deranged mentally ill killer but sick of hearing it over and over again as they try to usurp the rights of 80 million legal and responsible gun owners. Many of those who oppose gun ownership really need to get a life and stay out of my life.

Ron

Hacker15E
April 12, 2013, 08:01 AM
At first I was irritated that so many gun control people continued to demonize the NRA, believing that all pro-RKBA actions in the country are the result of NRA manipulation. I was angry that so many people could completely fail to realize that it is US CITIZENS who are standing up for a BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT that are responsible for those actions.

After the last couple months, though, I am finding it strangely amusing that gun-control folks are so focused in their rage and actions on fighting, in effect, a straw man. Many gun control advocates would be thrilled to be able to take down, or diminish the NRA -- and most of them would feel like they've 'won' if they did that. Unfortunately for them, if the NRA is 'beaten', those US citizens with a desire to protect their Constitutional rights are still there.

I say let idiots waste time, money, and effort at hating the NRA.

itchy1
April 12, 2013, 08:18 AM
It always amazes me that the same people who demonize the NRA(org that represents millions), champion the efforts of a tryanical billionaire.

beatledog7
April 12, 2013, 08:22 AM
When I heard this on the news yesterday I was at first amazed, then amused, then mildly afraid. The degree of hatred some of these people have for guns and gun owners knows no limits.

Firearm's connection aside, what business would the Senate have interfering with the operations of NASCAR? Commerce clause? General welfare clause?

The anti-gun movement seriously believes their position is THE valid position. They will assert their beliefs into every aspect of life that has any connection with any sort of firearm.

They will not stop until all privately held firearms are eliminated, and who can predict where they'll take the fight once they've eviscerated 2A?

wetpowder
April 12, 2013, 08:26 AM
they hate the NRA because they fear them.

Queen_of_Thunder
April 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
This is how silly the lawmakers are getting in their attack on guns and groups like the NRA.

link to entire story:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20130411/NASCAR-NRA/
Can you say First Amendment Violation.

larryh1108
April 12, 2013, 08:52 AM
The thing that amazes me the most is the extent that those in government, who are anti-gun, will go to eviscerate guns from the general public. Suspensions at school for making the sign of a gun with your fingers, trying to ban NRA sponsorship of an event, etc. In one generation, anything associated with guns will be so anti-society that repealing the second amendment will be a slam dunk. They know the present gun society will not accept this and we will fight tooth and nail but give it a generation of anti-gun brain washing and our second amendment will be nothing more than a question on a history quiz about amendments no longer in use.

Ryanxia
April 12, 2013, 09:32 AM
The thing that amazes me the most is the extent that those in government, who are anti-gun, will go to eviscerate guns from the general public. Suspensions at school for making the sign of a gun with your fingers, trying to ban NRA sponsorship of an event, etc. In one generation, anything associated with guns will be so anti-society that repealing the second amendment will be a slam dunk. They know the present gun society will not accept this and we will fight tooth and nail but give it a generation of anti-gun brain washing and our second amendment will be nothing more than a question on a history quiz about amendments no longer in use.
That's right, our best line of defense is getting more people and more kids into the shooting sports, hunting, plinking or whatever suits your fancy.

wingman
April 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
Note: When they hate the NRA they are really hating American gun owners because we are the NRA, so this politician simply is showing his true colors.

HOOfan_1
April 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
Anti-gun nuts claim the NRA is leading conservative legislators around by the short hairs....well, the Brady Bunch and Bloomberg Bafoons are leading the left wingers around by the short hairs.

These legislators hate what Brady and Bloomberg tell them to hate, they vote how Brady and Bloomberg tell them to vote. It is obvious these pawns don't think for themselves. Just look at all the times they have shown utter and complete lack of knowledge about the items they are trying to legislate.

Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus "Caligula" would say

oderint dum metuant

KimberUltra
April 12, 2013, 10:05 AM
I got into it last night with a liberal who was offended by the NRA 400. I told him "at least they didn't call it the Bushmaster 223. And he went in and on about how to NRA makes money off of people dying. I asked him to prove it. I asked him to give me the name of the last NRA anyone outside of self defense. I also notified him that there is no way the NRA makes money off of people dying. They aren't hit man. You can't go to the NRA store and buy unregistered guns to go kill innocent people.

Needless to say he ran out of ignorant things to talk about

I don't understand how people think what they say is true

HOOfan_1
April 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
I don't understand how people think what they say is true

They get their information from the media....you know outlets run by the likes of Michael Bloomberg and Ariana Huffington.

Pilot
April 12, 2013, 10:11 AM
All leftist, statist media lies. Nobody holds them accountable.

hillbilly
April 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
It's good to see this thread, because some of y'all are finally waking up to a basic truth.

Anti-gunners don't hate guns.

They hate us.

They hate you, personally, with a purple-raging passion.

Learn it, accept it, embrace it.

jem375
April 12, 2013, 12:21 PM
Note: When they hate the NRA they are really hating American gun owners because we are the NRA, so this politician simply is showing his true colors.
this

BigG
April 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
It's good to see this thread, because some of y'all are finally waking up to a basic truth.

They hate us.

You said it there, pal!

RiverPerson
April 12, 2013, 02:11 PM

They hate us.

Have to agree with this.

They're fighting a cultural war. In the anti mind, a typical gun owner is an uneducated, racist, hillbilly, despite the fact that people from all racial, social, and economic classes own guns.

If they didn't make massive pushes like they are now, it would be easier for them to just whittle gun rights down over a few years. Instead their actions have united gun owners, making anti-gun legislation harder to pass.
But, as others have said, in a generation or two, they will have no problem completely destroying the 2nd Amendment, as our current educational system and media are making it look like some archaic thing that no longer applies in our new, "enlightened" world.

Sav .250
April 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
Hope all that have posted are ...................NRA menbers!

SilentStalker
April 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
What pisses me off is that we now have the government stepping in even more and telling people how to run their businesses. The last I checked this is supposed to be a free country and if Fox and the NRA want to enter into any deals with each other than as a free society they have that option. A government official of any kind trying to step in and stop such a deal IMO is abusing his powers and should therefore lose his position.

hillbilly
April 12, 2013, 02:49 PM
Sav .250....Life Member here.

Baba Louie
April 12, 2013, 03:13 PM
They are... Scared of the firepower both at the Lobbying level and the 4 MM+ individual members owning arms.

What is ironic is that ONLY 4 million+ members out of about 15 - 20X that number of citizens that own arms and are not members are causing such an organized fearful reaction.

There is no love of, or for, Individual Freedom in this Nation anymore, apparently.

Can we get the membership numbers to top 5 million? I think we can and must. 2014 elections are right around the corner. Wondering if "angry white gunowners" (to use a 20 year old phrase) can pull off another '94 mid-term election sweep? If it could be done, will the newcomers in office hold the line on RKBA as well as the other issues that really need some thoughtful redressing to get the Republic and economy back on track? (I know, stick to RKBA issues here)

wgp
April 12, 2013, 03:20 PM
If there is any silver lining to the present state of anti-gun affairs, it is that finally we are seeing the level of hate and ignorance held by those who have come out of the woodwork to demand the new laws that have been proposed. I doubt many of them, especially those who are elected office-holders, would have ever felt comfortable showing their true feeings before now. Apparently they take comfort in numbers.

Now it is up to us to remember what we are witnessing.

Deer_Freak
April 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
The anti gun crowd gets to scream for infringement of our rights at 6 pm every night but we celebrate our rights and they want to take it off the air. I can not wait until the next election.

wetpowder
April 12, 2013, 03:30 PM
Life member since 1984

morcey2
April 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
Been a member for years, but not a life member yet. Will be soon though.

joeschmoe
April 12, 2013, 03:44 PM
Can you say First Amendment Violation.
No. His letter has no legal weight. It's a polite request that can be ignored. If Congress had passed a law on this issue, then that would be a 1st violation.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

xXxplosive
April 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
Yup.....keep voting for lawyers for your elected officials and see where it get ya....we're almost there.

steelerdude99
April 12, 2013, 03:50 PM

They hate us.

The anti-gunners also feel that those who agree with the Second Amendment don't deserve the protections spelled out in the other amendments (like the 1st or the 4th). My choice of entertainment is a free speech issue. Plus many "proposals" for gun control think that random home inspections of one’s safe and storage is "common sense". When will the foolishness stop?

Additionally, I find it strange that the original post is from Comcast / xfinity. Comcast is already known to be anti-gun. Are they taking issue with NASCAR saying they have no official position on gun rights?

http://news.msn.com/us/comcast-pulls-all-gun-ads-from-cable-network

and

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/19/nbc-parent-company-comcast-now-quietly-rejecting-ads-promoting-firearms-or-weapons/

chuck

larryh1108
April 12, 2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

No one in Congress and most of the people honor and respect this part of the Constitution. It is revered as part of who we are and what makes us the greatest nation on earth.

How is it that the government, media and half of the citizens of this country think nothing of stepping on the 2nd amendment as if it is evil and out dated?

If religion X was 10% of our population and a mass murder was committed by a zealot of religion X and the government decided to have anyone who practices religion X to register, get a card to show their affiliation, to limit gatherings to 10 or less and limit the places they can practice their faith, the country would be in an uproar and cry foul! "The government can't do that! It's part of the Constitution and part of what makes us great!" The government would not even consider such a move but here we are defending another right they want to stomp on. It makes no sense.

If North Korea launches a nuke towards Hawaii, will the government order every citizen of Korean heritage to an internment camp like they did to the Japanese in WWII? Did we learn from that or are they dumb enough to call it an act of terrorism and impose the Patriot Act? I never wore a tin foil hat before but these tactics of late have made me realize that the government isn't of the people, by the people, for the people any more. They want total control and are actively starting the process. I'm surprised Obama hasn't proposed an amendment to remove the 2 limit term on the presidency. I truly believe he wants to be The King.

Twmaster
April 12, 2013, 04:55 PM
Proud NRA member here. Recently converted my membership to LIFE!

P5 Guy
April 12, 2013, 07:19 PM
When the NRA sponsoring a NASCAR race I thought that was a great idea. I personally would like to see NASCAR S&W Magnum 500. Or a Strum Ruger IRL GP 100 race. Just to watch the grabber simmer to a rolling boil!

Oh and yes I'm a proud member of the NRA and I put the sticker on my car.

GambJoe
April 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
I hate the NRA because they want to turn schools into prisons.

beatledog7
April 12, 2013, 08:10 PM

No, the NRA wants to prevent them from being slaughterhouses, and so do I.

TennJed
April 12, 2013, 08:12 PM

Slight exaggeration don't you think

SuperNaut
April 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Obama Proposes More Armed Guards In Schools (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/01/16/obamas-proposals-on-school-safety/)

GambJoe
April 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
I stand by what I wrote. Armed guards, cops and security camera's everywhere isn't a way to raise children. Unless you're educating them to live in a police state.

So the NRA and Obama agree with each other regarding adding security in schools. I don't.

Black Knight
April 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
I have heard it said more than once, "The Second Ammendment protects all the others". Without the Second how long will we have the others? Not long I suspect. Now they go after the NRA's First Ammendment right of free speech as well as Fox News.

tomrkba
April 12, 2013, 09:34 PM
These people are marginalizing gun owners. First they start with stereotypes (see Bloomberg's ads), followed by villifying a group for a perceived action (Sandy Hook). They then move to pass legislation that affects the subgroup. Nazi Germany did it to the Jews in only six years.

joeschmoe
April 12, 2013, 09:36 PM
I never wore a tin foil hat before

:scrutiny:

deputy tom
April 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
If the antigun people didn't hate the NRA I would be worried.

Really, it's fair, I'm a NRA life member and I hate everything about the anti gun crowd. I wouldn't give them a bucket of water if they were on fire.
So, if they do not hate me, then I must be doing something wrong.
I'm with M2 Carbine but it wasn't a bucket of water I'd refuse in case of fire. tom. ;)

hang fire
April 12, 2013, 09:55 PM
First they came for the punishment of cigarette smokers, I did not smoke, so said nothing.

That is the crux, the general public, including many here on this forum, thought it was OK to go after those nasty habit smokers.

So now that the brain washing and pre-conditioning of the public to go after gun owners the same as smokers has been codified. As an anti smoker that should not cause you too much angst, after all, you stayed silent (acquiescence) or even vocal, in support for laying the SOP ground work of your own demonization and demise.

hang fire
April 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
A lot of our politicians at like 8y/o brats. No wonder we live in a sick society. Immature.
A great many so called pro-2nd Amendment politicians want nothing more than to be really, really, loved on the DC cocktail circuit and get their smug mugs on tv'ee.

If I said what I really thought of our two Arizona lick spittle US senators, I would be banned from THR in a heartbeat.

hang fire
April 12, 2013, 10:11 PM
What they fear, they hate, so therefore, they must destroy the NRA.

TennJed
April 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
I stand by what I wrote. Armed guards, cops and security camera's everywhere isn't a way to raise children. Unless you're educating them to live in a police state.

So the NRA and Obama agree with each other regarding adding security in schools. I don't.

Well what do you propose? I have children age 16, 5, & 2 so this issue is important to me. And with all due respect you statement is part of the problem. The school is not raising my kids. I am. Their morals and beliefs are taught by me. Parents who want the schools to raise them at the problem. The lack of family structure by other parents bothers me and unfortunately for the safety of my kids guards and cameras are the best solution we have.

If you have a better solution please share.

beatledog7
April 12, 2013, 10:42 PM

The single most effective steps in making schools safer would be to remove their mythical "gun-free zone" designation and allow teachers and administrators to carry on campus. Both measures are free and don't involve uniformed guards or surveillance cameras. They involve only allowing people to exercise their RKBA.

zorro45
April 12, 2013, 10:48 PM
If you really want to get them upset, lets get Ted Nugent and Hank Williams Jr. to do the commercials, just need to catchy gun-oriented jingles. I can still remember "are you ready for some football???" I'm sure they could come up with something fitting for the event. "are you ready for some FREEDOM?"

Hacker15E
April 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
Well what do you propose? I have children age 16, 5, & 2 so this issue is important to me. And with all due respect you statement is part of the problem. The school is not raising my kids. I am. Their morals and beliefs are taught by me. Parents who want the schools to raise them at the problem. The lack of family structure by other parents bothers me and unfortunately for the safety of my kids guards and cameras are the best solution we have.

I propose we all accept the risk that is inherent with living in a free society and teach our children the same -- that freedom and liberty involves risk, and that the benefits of living in a society that allows liberty and freedom is well worth those risks.

I have school-age children, too...and I accept the fact that school violence is a phenomenally rare occurrence given the number of schools that operate every day and the number of kids who are in attendance at those schools. I accept that they are far more likely to die in a car accident or a house fire or dozens of other 'freak' occurrences than they are in a school shooting.

beatledog7
April 13, 2013, 10:39 AM
I propose we all accept the risk that is inherent with living in a free society and teach our children the same -- that freedom and liberty involves risk, and that the benefits of living in a society that allows liberty and freedom is well worth those risks.

I have school-age children, too...and I accept the fact that school violence is a phenomenally rare occurrence given the number of schools that operate every day and the number of kids who are in attendance at those schools. I accept that they are far more likely to die in a car accident or a house fire or dozens of other 'freak' occurrences than they are in a school shooting.

YES! This is America, free and at risk by virtue of being free. Why do so many people want to change that?

larryh1108
April 13, 2013, 10:55 AM
This is America, free and at risk by virtue of being free. Why do so many people want to change that?

There seems to be a large segment of the population that feels the government is protecting them and watching out for their best interests. However, by feeling this way, the government is deciding what is in their best interests. Look no further than a control freak attempting to ban buying big gulp type drinks. That sums up how the government attempts to control us rather than representing us. History has proven this to be a bad thing. However, it seems that these people don't learn from our past mistakes.

303tom
April 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
We NEED a like button so I can LIKE this post.............

Deanimator
April 13, 2013, 11:27 AM
I'll bet the Japanese weren't big fans of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars in 1945 either.

Bad people always hate it when other people do good.

The proper response is to rub their noses in it every chance you get.

Uconnjack
April 13, 2013, 06:56 PM
I've written to Chris Murphy to express my outrage.

Wayne02
April 13, 2013, 09:55 PM

Very well stated and right on the money.

jauguston
April 13, 2013, 10:34 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed the total lack of mention of the NRA Sponsorship of the race.

Jim

TennJed
April 13, 2013, 10:53 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed the total lack of mention of the NRA Sponsorship of the race.

Jim

I don't normally watch NASCAR, do they usually make a point to mention the sponsor?

razorback2003
April 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
Where is all the hate for Budweiser or Jack D? A lot of people have died in car accidents from folks drinking too much, ruined health, and families from drinking too much alcohol.

I don't agree with blaming Budweiser or liquor stores for a drunk anymore than I agree with blaming a gun. It is the PERSON who misuses products that cause problems, not the product.

Guy B. Meredith
April 14, 2013, 02:07 AM
Get with it. The anti gun attitude is all about bigotry: demonizing, willful ignorance, hate, stereotyping. Everything that made the Jim Crow laws possible.

We need to treat it like bigotry and a civil rights matter.

Elm Creek Smith
April 14, 2013, 03:03 AM
I keep getting called a low intelligence, uneducated, hillbilly with...well, let's just say people claim to know more about my private parts than my wife of 39 years. Why? Because I have guns and speak out against those who would restrict my rights.

Most of those who attack me aren't fit to hold my coat.

ECS

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

csspecs
April 14, 2013, 03:39 AM

A better solution is likely in fences and more effective lock down doors.. I saw a number of pictures that appeared to show the front door of sandyhook, with the glass broken out of the door.. If you can smash the glass and open the door, you don't have a lock, you have a suggestion!

Security planning at schools is terrible. I can walk into most of the schools in my area, no fences and the same glass windowed "security door" on each one. On the other hand, there is a warehouse that has power tools at it next door. They have 10 foot security fences topped with barbed wire and doors that I doubt a truck could ram open. To protect drills and saws already covered by their insurance, not human lives.

Schools can be both secure and inviting. fencing does not need to be ugly. And doors don't have to look armored. Guards are actually more likely to be effective if they are out of sight. Arming teachers is not an idea I'm fond of, it may be effective, but its a stereotype answer the NRA should have avoided.

But actual improvements cost money. Blaming the NRA is cheap and keeps parents from suing the school for totally failing to provide basic grounds security.

mister_murphy
April 14, 2013, 07:41 PM
Unfortunatly the NRA 500 may get put down even more...

The death of a man in the infield of Texas Motor Speedway on Saturday night during the Sprint Cup Series NRA 500 has been ruled a suicide from a gunshot to the head according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/man-shoots-self-infield-nra-500-214951761--nascar.html

With the media against the NRA sponsering this race, it will be interesting to see how this will be spun...

gwsut
April 14, 2013, 08:19 PM
The hate for the NRA is because they are the only major roadblock to the anti's real goal ...... to completely disarm the America People. Remember, only free men in free countries own guns ....nowhere else in the entire world!

Tob
April 14, 2013, 10:04 PM

Jim

I watched most of the race, and also noticed this. While lack of sponsorship mention may happen during the broadcast of other races, it was glaringly apparent in this one.

TennJed
April 14, 2013, 10:46 PM
I watched most of the race, and also noticed this. While lack of sponsorship mention may happen during the broadcast of other races, it was glaringly apparent in this one.
I checked into that after the first post on the subject. From what I read NASCAR and Fox offer a "Premium" sponsorship package which includes extra logos and broadcaster's mentioning them by name. The NRA declined to purchase this package. If this is the case (and this how all NASCAR races are handled) you can't blame the TV network for it

Carl N. Brown
April 19, 2013, 09:18 AM
I saw a billboard-size NRA sign in the background, but no it does not appear to have been a "premium" sponsorship package where they constantly refer to the sponsor.

SleazyRider
April 23, 2013, 09:32 AM
If you really want to get them upset, lets get Ted Nugent and Hank Williams Jr. to do the commercials, just need to catchy gun-oriented jingles. I can still remember "are you ready for some football???" I'm sure they could come up with something fitting for the event. "are you ready for some FREEDOM?"
This just in: looks like the NUGE just called for a public hanging of the Boston Marathon Bomber. I'm thinkin' he probably wouldn't be a good choice.

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
My thoughts on the matter:

1. I've lived in San Franciso, Chicago, and some suburban areas in CA and IL to boot. Anti-gun-rights zealots are largely from urban areas. Having lived among that type of crowd, let me tell you, even having some of them as co-workers or friends..., um, yea. They have a MAJOR disdain for all things rural, or even suburbia. Their elitist mindset makes them believe that they truly are better than those backwater hicks that enjoy NASCAR, guns and drink beer instead of wine coolers. Until you've interacted with them on a daily basis, you really have no idea just how hate-filled some of these people really are. Tyrannically so, if you ask me. Case in point: Obama. Is there nothing about how that man talks, walks or even looks at other people like he isn't some type of god on earth who was sent here to rule the great unwashed masses?
2. I can't stand NASCAR, and it isn't a 'sport' in my book. A sport involves exercise to me. Also, going around in circles just bores me to tears. Give me rally racing or something with a bit of excitement. Nonetheless, I acknowledge that a large portion of middle-America loves NASCAR, so more power to them. It harms nobody, even if I think it is just plain silly. I much rather have a NASCAR neighbor who once he's done watching big boys go around in circles on the track, stop by my house and we can go out to the range together, compared to having some liberal elitist snob for a neighbor report me to the police because they saw me cleaning my handgun through the kitchen window.
3. NRA is smart in sponsoring NASCAR even I don't like the sport. It baited the anti-gun loonies into trying overt censorship. Sometimes these folks are their own worst enemies. If they were a bit more subtle, they'd be far more dangerous. Heck, I really don't like NASCAR, but as an act of defiance to these anti-freedom moonbats, I might watch a lap or two! :D
4. The NRA should continue to go on the offensive and spend as much money as they can take in to keep expanding their cultural reach. Training courses are good. Those new news videos are good that were linked to in another thread documenting in high-production value clips the anti-freedom agenda. Also, being more involved in things such as NASCAR allows the NRA not to just be "that organization that controls Washington" as it is so often painted by the MSM. The NRA needs to be increasingly a cultural force outside of its base, and to their credit, I think they're doing quite well at that.
5. I just signed up as a completely new Life Member of the NRA this last month. The $1000 I gave them was easily worth the smile on my face when I saw this:

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Obama-in-the-Rose-Garden-with-Crying-Joe-Biden.jpg

:D:D:D:neener::neener::neener::neener::neener::D:D:D

gym
April 23, 2013, 11:18 AM
What happened to the first amendment, I'm sure this race was planned way before the legislators decided to hold their hearings. Why don't they just move their hearings if it bothers them so much. Why is it the gun people always are the ones who have to give in.
And better yet what does a race sponsor have to do with gun control.
See if this guy wants to pay for sponsoring the race. I don't watch NASCAR either but I would defend their right to sponsor whatever was good for our position.

Blackstone
April 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
Does this mean Obama should not be broadcast on TV because he's the face of one side of the gun debate?

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 11:24 AM
Personally, I think choosing Biden was so helpful for our cause. The man is truly a blithering idiot at times with some of the things he says. Honestly, his stupidity helps win over middle-of-the-road folks who can see the loon is lacking any sort of cogent thought up there at times.

gym
April 23, 2013, 12:04 PM
I agree and have said that Obama knew this would fail from the beginning, that's why he put Joe in charge. This way he has deniability, he can say I put the vice president in charge and he couldn't get the job done.
He stays away from anything he thinks might not get through.

NosaMSirhC
April 23, 2013, 04:39 PM
I disagree.

While Vice President Biden may make some really outlandish comments at times he is a VERY DANGEROUS politician.

He was very much a key player in the 1994 AWB.

If you underestimate Joe Biden you do so at your own peril.

Be Safe!

NosaM

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

tomrkba
April 23, 2013, 06:34 PM
Michael Bane from Outdoor.tv talks about how gun owners are now the new Jews. They are working very hard to marginalize us and use us as scapegoats for terrorism and crime.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/down-range-radio-311-are-gun-owners-the-new-underclass/21919/

larryh1108
April 23, 2013, 06:36 PM
Their elitist mindset makes them believe that they truly are better than those backwater hicks that enjoy NASCAR, guns and drink beer instead of wine coolers. Until you've interacted with them on a daily basis, you really have no idea just how hate-filled some of these people really are. Tyrannically so, if you ask me.

100% agree.
These same people are, unfortunately, the ones who run for public office as well. They want to be involved and make a difference. They want their ideals and opinions to permeate throughout the land. They feel they know better than we do what is best for us. When they move from the big cities to other areas they take their ideals with them and change the environment to their way of seeing things (See urban areas of pro-gun states). They are the ones who can't be swayed to our way of viewing things, constitutional or not. They don't care. We don't know what we are talking about because we aren't one of them. They wouldn't be caught dead socializing with one of them. The funny thing is they'd crap their pants if they knew one of 'them' was carrying. We blend in rather well. We are the eyes and ears of who they hate the most.

gym
April 23, 2013, 07:02 PM
http://cqrcengage.com/smith-wesson/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=777, Hit this and let the representatives know we are watching what they do. And there are plenty of things that they can do right now instead of trying to disarm us. The link is from the S&W ad on the website, I just took the actual site and pasted it here.
By the way, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds are grounded because of this Sequester nonsense, and Meals on wheels among hundreds of other things we all grew up with. This administration swore this would never happen, they are after the NRA, and we need to support them, so there is no doubt that we are behind them and what they are doing to help us keep our rights, weather it's sponsoring a race or Special Olympics show support and get through those people who would like to see us go away, that we aren't going any ware.
Make it crystal clear that we are not going to let off the gas on this, if I have to send them a letter every day it's a small price to pay for keeping the Constitution intact from those who would like to rewrite it, and have come out and said so publicly. Maybe I am a little old fashioned, but when I grew up that was treason.

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
@ larryh1108:

Good points. After knowing many gun owners, most of them are of the "you don't bother me, I don't bother you" mentality. While this is a good in principle, many anti-gunners are very activist minded. More pro-gun folks need to be involved with the fight, even if their natural inclination is more passive in nature. The other side isn't being passive, so we have to get our collective butts in gear.

Marlin 45 carbine
April 23, 2013, 09:08 PM
I agree - plinkers, hunters, target shooters need to make some noise now my. favorite shooting is black powder guns and some self-defense handguns.

larryh1108
April 23, 2013, 09:36 PM
Hopefully what has been happening will awaken the present generation to get active in politics. It seems that the pro-gun lobby isn't getting enough of the better minds to run for public office. The private sector does pay better but hopefully some new blood will infuse pride from our history and strong Constitutional values back into office. This has become red vs blue but there are too many red wafflers for my taste. If we pass immigration reform it will put between 11 and 20 million new voters of the blue persuasion in our voting ranks. I can't see one reason why any red vote would accept this knowing the cost.

Thermactor
April 23, 2013, 09:41 PM
"At least they didn't call it the Bushmaster 223."

Hardly. They should have called it the Bushmaster 556.

Kynoch
April 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
I want those who are anti-gun to openly hate the NRA. It makes it easy for me to identify my enemies.

I am also sick and tired of hearing about Sandy Hook. I am sorry for those who lost family to a deranged mentally ill killer but sick of hearing it over and over again as they try to usurp the rights of 80 million legal and responsible gun owners. Many of those who oppose gun ownership really need to get a life and stay out of my life.

Ron

That's VERY wrong. I want an NRA that's 30M members (not 5M) that can set policy rather than continually react to it.

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 10:37 PM
Totally agree with Kynoch. Look at he AARP. They have 40 million members who are active voters. Agree with their policy stances or not, they have HUGE clout on Capitol Hill. The NRA needs to focus the bulk of its spare change towards recruitment and getting new shooters into the gun ranges/classes. One of the main reasons why I joined the NRA this year as a first-time member is because I value their ability to go to a law-maker and say we now have 5,000,001 members instead of 5,000,000 a moment ago.

If everyone thinks like this and joins up, more and more politicians who are hateful towards guns or at least ambivalent will realize that gun grabbing legislation will kill them come reelection. We need to put the fear of god back in their hearts. Strength in numbers (heck even 10 million NRA members would be a very bold statement!) wins battles.

larryh1108
April 23, 2013, 11:04 PM
I also agree with getting the NRA numbers up to the 20 million range. The NRA has proved, with the recent bullying from the president, that they (we) are worth the small fee of $35 per year. Hopefully all of the old hardliners have realized that without the NRA, we would be up the creek without a paddle. We've also sold millions of new guns since Obama has been in office. Hopefully they realize that the NRA represents them as well. I say that every new gun purchase should have a free 1 year membership to the NRA (just mail in a card or go online and punch in a code to become a member). We need better marketers to get the numbers up. With numbers comes strength.

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 11:14 PM
Good point on all the new guns being sold. An excellent counter-point to those who would grab them. In the Obama economy, guns and the related gun accessory industries are one of the VERY FEW success stories in recent years.

Sobering thoughts:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-wealthy-keep-getting-wealthier-2013-4

The richest 7% of American households saw their net worth grow by 28% to a whopping $3.2 million during between 2009 to 2011, according to a new study by the Pew Research Center.
In contrast, 93% of households lost money. Average household net worth for this group fell by 4% during the same period, down to about $133,800 per household.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-wealthy-keep-getting-wealthier-2013-4#ixzz2RLKcr96R

Guns are keeping Americans employed. Period.

splattergun
April 23, 2013, 11:16 PM
Personally, I think choosing Biden was so helpful for our cause. The man is truly a blithering idiot at times with some of the things he says. Honestly, his stupidity helps win over middle-of-the-road folks who can see the loon is lacking any sort of cogent thought up there at times.
Biden may be a fool, but he's a born iconoclast. He pulls down everybody's idols and sneers at what he cannot pull down,—our ideals.

TheSaint
April 24, 2013, 02:40 AM
His snide behavior is motivation for me and thousands of others to continue to lobby even harder against him and his cohort. Iconoclast or not, the man drives me to work even harder against his trampling on the Constitution.

If you enjoyed reading about "Look how much hate there is for the NRA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!