Lyman Plains .50, ugly bore

PDA

Texan Scott
April 11, 2013, 11:54 PM
Obviously, these things not costing much to begin with, a hard-used one isn't worth much at all. BUUUT.... if I offered a friend a bit of cash for one with a cruddy bore (dirty/ worn rifling/ a bit corroded inside), could a decent smith mill it out to .54? Obviously, this would make it a smoothbore (not "period correct" I suppose), but given that they make a rifled .54, I'd think the barrel wall thickness would be fine.

Has anyone here done something weird like this? Any idea what it might cost? It'd never be worth anything, but it seems a shame to just let it "die".

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman Plains .50, ugly bore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boommer
April 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
Let me see! not worth much? We will offer nothing to a friend " (WORN RIFLING ON A MUZZLE LOADER)? You want to bore it out to a .54 to a smoothbore ! AND you would have A 20 GA muzzle loader with rifle sights? some what! I would bore it to correct dia for 20 ga.

Acorn Mush
April 12, 2013, 01:37 AM
Get hold of Robert Hoyt at the Freischutz Shop, 700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320. His phone # 717-642-6696.

I understand his work is excellent and his prices are reasonable. He may be able to take care of your problem and still give you substantial change for a Franklin.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Texan Scott
April 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
Worth checking out, tks!

Texan Scott
April 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
Boommer, not sure what you're on about... but I would have concerns about milling a 7/8 octagonal out to 20ga... I'm not sure it would leave enough sidewall.

If he wants to sell, and it looks like the pitting isn't that deep in the grooves, I'll meet his price and we'll see what happens.

GCBurner
April 12, 2013, 04:52 PM
Track of the Wolf has brand new barrels for the Lyman rifles available, in both .50 and .54 calibre.

Missionary
April 13, 2013, 02:28 PM
Greetings
There is nothing wrong with a smoothbore rifle firing patched round balls. Out to 50 yards they can be as accurate as a rifled bore and are far easier to reload. There are some smoothie barrels out there that win muzzle matches out to 70 yards with linen patched balls. Go spend a little time the Traditional Muzzleloader site and do some reading.
Another good smith out there to consider reboring (if it is needed) is Al Siegrist 989 873 3929 up in MIch. Either of these two men can tell you how much steel can be removed to safely rebore to whatever caliber.
But first clean it and shoot it. A good fitted ball with a proper linen patch will shoot well out of some ugly barrels.
Mike in Peru

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman Plains .50, ugly bore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!