Best Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun for 3 Gun Shoots

PDA

TheAngrySquirrel
April 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Can I get some feedback on what firearms you have seen at 3 gun shoots and your opinion on what you prefer to use?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun for 3 Gun Shoots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
April 12, 2013, 05:53 PM
Best is a very relative term. Best for you? Best for professional competitor? Is money a concern?

You will find mostly AR-15 types, and lots of glocks. Mostly because the AR and the Glock are ubiquitous firearms in America. Plus they're good guns. Shotguns vary widely, but serious competitors run a lot of Benellis.

Me, I have run M1As, Garands, a moldy Colt SP1, Mini-14, SCAR-16, and am thinking of trying a 1903 Springfield. :D

My shotgun is a 9-shot Mossberg 590 with iron sights. I am not fast.

My handguns of choice are Colt or Dan Wesson 1911 (for Heavy Metal) or SIG P226 (Tactical Irons/Optics).

I don't shoot Open, but I see a lot of STI raceguns and Saiga 12s in that division.

If I were starting out right now and wanted to try to be competitive in TI/TO, I'd go with a quality AR, 18-ish inch barrel, rifle length gas system, direct impingement, with a good JP or Miculek brake, and either irons or a quality 1-4 optic (all the major mfgs make a "tactical" or 3-gun optic). Handgun of your choice, M&P, Glock, SIG, CZ, XD, etc. 18+ round mags come in handy. Shotgun? I'd have a good look at the Mossberg 930, or try to find a used Benelli M1/M2 in good shape for a reasonable price.

Practice loading your shotgun. Lots of people are going with the new hotness, the "load 2" technique. Google it.

Welcome to THR :cool:

GCBurner
April 12, 2013, 05:59 PM
Most folks at the ones I've shot in used some version of an AR-15, some flavor Glock, and a pump or semi-auto "tactical" 12 guage. My choice was an Olympic AR 16" carbine, a 9mm Glock 17, and a Mossberg 930 9-shot.

hacksaw
April 12, 2013, 06:01 PM
Check out 3-gun nation.com and the Brian Enos forums if you want some in depth info on firearms choices for this game. For pistols, Glocks, S & W M & P's are all very common, some people with the inclination/cash like a good 2011 as well.

Rifles run the gamut fron stock DPMS, Bushmasters, Colt's etc. to high dollar customs like JP. The Stag 3G is also very popular (I have this one).

Shotguns: Remington Versa-max, Benelli M1 and M2, FN SLP are the major players with the Mossberg 930 JM making major in-roads due to it's price point.

Good luck!

allaroundhunter
April 12, 2013, 08:17 PM
If you want the "best", then I will give them to you:

Rifle: Not one "best" per se, as they are so customized. But be ready to spend upwards of $2800 to be in the league with the "best" rifles.

Shotgun: Benelli M2, welded lifter, opened loading port, mag extension... other upgrades pushing you close to $2500

Pistol: STI or Infinity 2011 - Expect to spend upwards of $1800

Now, what do I make do with?

Rifle: Stag 3G upper with Burris MTac optic

Shotgun: Mossberg 930 JP Pro

Pistol: Glock 34 with V4 race connector, competition spring kit, and (soon) Dawson front and Heine rear sights.

waktasz
April 13, 2013, 01:25 AM
Rifle - AR-15 with variable scope with 1x on the low end. There are a few different 1-6s available that are popular. (Swarovski, Bushnell Vortex)

Shotgun - SLP, Benelli, Versamax are the most popular. Myself and 3 buddies all have SX2s and I like mine a lot. Wish I got the 3.5" chamber though for easier reloading.

Pistol - Lots of 2011s at the bigger matches, but also a lot of Glocks. You see the FN plastic guns a lot because of all the FN sponsored guys on TV. Never seen one in person though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun for 3 Gun Shoots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!