How tight ?

PDA

Matt1911
April 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
I am considering re barreling a Mauser with a short chambered barrel. The one thing I haven't seen anywhere is how tight to make the new barrel. Any suggestions of reading would be appreciated .

If you enjoyed reading about "How tight ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SilentScream
April 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
Are we talking a sporter barrel with no sights? If so the barrel does not need to be torqued on with a huge amount of force. When I install that style barrel basically I spin the barrel on, and with my action wrench I snug everything up. If we're talking a military or sporter barrel with sights, the sights are going to determine to a point how much you have to torque the barrel.

Jim K
April 15, 2013, 12:07 AM
If the Mauser is a 98, you want to get the barrel face snug against the inner collar at the same point the shoulder goes tight against the front of the receiver ring. This is pretty easy and not as difficult as it sounds. Then, with the barrel tight, you use an extension on the finish reamer to adjust the headspace. (Some folks use measurements and calculations to finish cut the chamber with the barrel out of the receiver and claim that is the better way. Maybe I am not as smart, but I always did the final headspace adjustment after installing the barrel so I could try it with the bolt as I went.)

Rebarrelling a military rifle with a take-off barrel is tricky and sometimes can't be done without messing up the sights, stock fit, bayonet lug, etc. FWIW, Mauser installed the barrel first, then using the receiver flat as a reference point, installed the sights.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "How tight ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!