Recoil Approximation

PDA

R Merrell
April 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
I'm trying to approximate my felt recoil in my handloads to that of my factory self-defense loads and I have a few questions regarding this endeavor.

1) How much affect does burn rate have on felt recoil in a 4" 1911, with all other factors being the same? Example: 2 identical cartridges with the exception of powder. One loaded with a fast burning powder, the other with a slow burning powder. Both spitting the bullets out of a 4" gun at the same speed. Will there be a noticeable difference in recoil between the two cartridges from the same gun?

2) Assuming the difference above is negligible, can I relate different bullet weights and felt recoil by using the momentum equation (Momentum = Mass x Veloctiy)? Example: My self-defense loads are 230 grain HP cruising at 890 fps. The only bullets I can readily find are 200 grain LSWC. I want felt recoil between these two to be the same. So if I multiply 230 grains x 890 fps = 204,700 grain-fps. Then divide this number by 200 grains to get 1,023.5 fps. If I then go about finding a powder to match this speed, will I have approximated the felt recoil for the self-defense load?

3) How much of an affect will practicing with lighter recoiling loads have when shooting the heavier recoiling self-defense loads ie. Is this exercise a waste of time?

Thanks for any input.

Robert

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Approximation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 14, 2013, 02:06 PM
Plug in your numbers here:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

It factors in powder charge weight, but there is no accounting for burn rate 'feel'.

You just have to try it.

rc

murf
April 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
any practice will have positive effect on your shooting. dry-firing and shooting 22lr in a same size and weight pistol to improve ones shooting has been done for years. the k-22, k-32 and k-38 s&w masterpiece revolvers were all made the same size for that purpose.

a lighter bullet will recoil quicker, all else being equal.

murf

R Merrell
April 14, 2013, 02:28 PM
That's an awesome calculator.

Thanks RCModel!

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Approximation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!