Ultrasonic Cleaning?

PDA

rainbowbob
April 14, 2013, 05:56 PM
The range/club I belong to is offerring ultrasonic cleaning/lubing for both long guns and pistols. Three pistols or one rifle for $25. Obviously, cleaning them myself is cheaper, but price isn't the issue. There are plenty of things I can do myself, but prefer to pay others to do for me (e.g., mow the grass, change the oil in my car).

Anyone done this? Were you happy with the results?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ultrasonic Cleaning?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Aiko492
April 14, 2013, 06:49 PM
if the results are anything like the ultrasonic watch cleanings i have had in the past i would skip it.

Al Thompson
April 14, 2013, 09:46 PM
Worked at a LGS that offered USC. It's the heat as far as cleaning the most remote corners of the gun, but still needs the human touch to break up concentrations of grease and grit. If it's a closed system, like a revolver's lockwork, you still have to get in there with a mechanical scrubber to remove the crud.

Clark
April 15, 2013, 03:07 AM
I buy a lot of old dirty guns.
I take them apart and clean them.
I have an ultrasonic cleaner.
If I soak the parts in Kroil or simple green for long enough, the crud will almost come off with a toothbrush, but not quite.
I still have to use a dental pick to get out the crusty dirt, even when softened.

What ultrasonic is great for is getting one chemical out, so I can get another chemical in. Like get the dirty solvent out, so I can put some lubrication in.

Jim K
April 15, 2013, 04:38 PM
Ultrasonic cleaning is great in a shop where taking down a complex gun like the Browning A5 or the Winchester 94 takes so long that it is not profitable. But even for other guns, or for individual owners, ultrasonic will clean a gun without the dangers associated with disassembly (broken parts, lost parts, stripped screws). Is it perfect? No, but left run a while it will do a very good job.

Not many pistols get dirty enough or are hard enough to disassemble to justify an ultrasonic cleaning. Rifles or shotguns might, depending on how dirty they are and how hard they are to take down.

Jim

Peter M. Eick
April 15, 2013, 06:06 PM
I bought a big 1.5 gallon Stullersonic unit that really does a great job. it is putzy to do so i can see why they would charge $25 for the hassle. The key though is my guns come out surgically clean. I first give it a quick clean, then I take of the grips and just drop the whole gun in then let it run 15 minutes in Mpro7. I then take it out and and usualy everything is very hot and perfectly clean. I then run another 15 minutes in L&R gun oil and finally I let it cool down then lube it normally and I am good to go.

I only do a gun maybe once or twice a year, but for cleaning old guns or dirty guns it is great.

Don't forget that quick clean step first. It does not do well with soft greasy gunk. That you need to wipe out yourself. Hard dirt in boundaries it is great for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ultrasonic Cleaning?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!