What's your favorite firearm activity to do?

PDA

Sheepdog1968
April 15, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm NOT asking what is your favorite weapon or what if you can only have one.

I am just curious what puts the biggest smile on your face when you go shooting.

My favorite is without a doubt shooting clays with my shotgun. I'm not very good (hit about 60% of them most days) but I just enjoy it a great deal. I love the sights and sounds of the event and i get a huge grin when I turn one of the lays to a cloud of dust.

A close second would be shooting tin cans or steel spinners of some kind with a 22 rifle.

What say you? What do you like to do?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your favorite firearm activity to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oklacoyotekiller
April 15, 2013, 02:15 PM
Roll a coyote! Makes me smile everytime!

Nwflycaster
April 15, 2013, 02:23 PM
I would have to go with high power xtc matches.

Hokkmike
April 15, 2013, 02:24 PM
Ak, currently....

tyeo098
April 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
I like building.

Hearing my own AK rack the first time of 2 weeks putting it together... was the best feeling I ever felt. My own blood, sweat, and tears (literally, had the bolt slam home on my thumb a few times).

Now I'm building a DP-28 and its the same feeling :D

CSG
April 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
As a former LEO, I still like plinking at cans and punching holes in paper targets (vs. run and gun training).

bergmen
April 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
As a child I was introduced to the fun of plinking. That was my Dad's favorite shooting pastime although he was also a very enthusiastic small and big game hunter as well.

Today I find plinking to be the most fun activity with almost all my guns. Dad liked to plink with .22s but I bring all of the shooting irons into the fun of plinking (except my scoped big game rifles). The lever action 30-30, .45 Colt and .454, the semi-automatic M1A, the SR-556, virtually all of the handguns (SA, DA and semi-auto) make great plinking guns.

I have boxes of steel cans in the garage as well as several boxes of bio-degradeable clay pigeons that are thrown into the back of the pickup on a regular basis. We are lucky to live close to several large BLM tracs that make it easy and fun to go have fun.

Dan

FitGunner
April 15, 2013, 02:38 PM
Shooting gallery with water bottles, 2-liters, etc. and a 12-gauge. Big boom, lots o' fun. .22 plinking is good too.

jr_watkins
April 15, 2013, 02:42 PM
I like breaking glass bottles. Empty, full of water, or old full pop or beer cans/bottles shaken up that really spray when the bullet hits. Happiness through destruction I guess. I just really like the immediate response to the shot.

Strangely, the glass gets so pulverized into the dirt that it really isn't that dangerous.

Umm, not recommended for the local gun range. ;)

guyfromohio
April 15, 2013, 02:42 PM
Clays!!!!! Love that feeling of turning orange into black dust.

Sniper66
April 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
Whacking prairie dogs after all the time building loads and accurizing rifles is very satisfying indeed. Range time is the warm up. Fun for sure, but not as much as watching a p-dog explode on impact from a well-placed round that I built at my loading bench.

osteodoc08
April 15, 2013, 02:47 PM
Clays and plinking. I also like high powered cartridges and full 2L bottles at range. Tannerite is also a blast

Sauer Grapes
April 15, 2013, 03:41 PM
Sporting Clays and 5 stand. Second would be USPSA.

Arkansas Paul
April 15, 2013, 03:48 PM
I am just curious what puts the biggest smile on your face when you go shooting.

Those rare occasions when I shoot a group and then look through the spotting scope and see one ragged hole. Doesn't happen often, but boy it feels good when it does.

The 2nd biggest smile on my face is when I get home and get to reload all that brass.

Ranger Roberts
April 15, 2013, 03:55 PM
Sporting clays are my favorite, followed by plinking, then tannerite.

Ky Larry
April 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
Going to the range and unpacking my 6" Python. Before diabetes wrecked my eyesight I could do the 50yrd popcan dance with any of my Snakes, Kimbers, or S&W revolvers. I loved to shut up the boys with the wonder-9 CrunchenTickers.

The_Next_Generation
April 15, 2013, 04:11 PM
Shooting steel with any handgun is a huge amount of fun for me, but so is clays..I guess it's a tie :D

-TNG

allaroundhunter
April 15, 2013, 04:13 PM

Whacking a coyote, 3 gun competition, and USPSA are my favorites and you will never catch me without a smile while I am doing any of those.

I like coyote hunting most, but I get to shoot competitions more often.

HankR
April 15, 2013, 04:33 PM
1. Plinking w/ my 8 year old daughter.
2. Hunting w/ my teenage son

CoRoMo
April 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hammering an elk in the shoulder.

Once I realize that I connected, I experience a joy that cannot be described. It keeps me coming back every year!

stumpers
April 15, 2013, 04:41 PM
My favorite is probably dual weilding G19s and emptying mags into the berm, hitting the steel about twice...

This is purely for the reaction I get from other shooters...usually laughs, sometimes scolding from guys without a sense of humor, which I can't hear anyway because of my ear protection, which makes it all the more comical for me.

I firmly believe I do this in a safe manner, despite the obvious fun level being ratcheted up a notch. All rounds hit the berm and I have positive control of both guns...

Hunterdad
April 15, 2013, 04:48 PM
I love shooting trap and skeet is a close second. Shhhh, don't tell my 3-gun buddies.

clutch
April 15, 2013, 05:10 PM
Part of the year it is hard to go shooting do to winter so I'm going to say hang out with people like us and shoot the breeze.

I like shooting rimfire rifles, off hand and from the bench.

Drue
April 15, 2013, 05:15 PM
I shoot rifle silhouette (well, I shoot at them anyway). Knocking down the smallbore rams at 100M and the HP rams at 500M, offhand is a rush.

Drue

BigBore44
April 15, 2013, 06:40 PM
Taking someone new. That's the most fun for me.

Mat, not doormat
April 15, 2013, 06:58 PM
I get my biggest thrills shooting fast, so either SASS, or IPSC. Would like to try 3 gun, too.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

oneounceload
April 15, 2013, 07:17 PM
Shooting pigeons or helice, followed by FITASC and Sporting Clays

StrutStopper
April 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
Just like my username would suggest, it's definitely taking a nice longbeard with my Mossy 835 and a load of Hevi-13s. Season starts in 10 days!

Chevelle SS
April 15, 2013, 08:46 PM
S&W 1917 plinking

montanaoffroader
April 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Going after the elusive, dangerous, killer vermin known locally as "gophers" - with a revolver. :evil:

Chopdoktor
April 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
My current favorite is shooting A500 steel silhouettes with my suppressed firearms. Their quieted action makes the loud ping of lead-on-steel all the more satisfying!

Steel Horse Rider
April 15, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hitting our 600 yd steel gong, shooting prairie dogs, and shooting water filled milk jugs are my favorite in that order. A close fourth would be shooting branches off the trunk of a large dead pine tree at the back of the private range I have access to with pistols.

btaylor73
April 15, 2013, 09:15 PM
Long distance rifle shooting. I love hearing the sound come back seconds later after hitting steel or a rock. Its just finding a good place to do it is the problem.

witchhunter
April 15, 2013, 09:49 PM
Prairie dogs, I could do that all day long. Well, until the wind comes up anyway.

morcey2
April 15, 2013, 09:54 PM
My favorite is watching someone I just taught to shoot consistently hit stuff and get excited about it. Usually one of my kids or their friends. I enjoy that more than any shooting that I do on my own.

For my own shooting, I enjoy watching a jackrabbit disappear (mostly) at 200+ yards from one of my rifles. There's usually a little bit left. (depends on the bullet.)

Matt

preachnhunt
April 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hitting an elk. Hands down.

Harvie
April 16, 2013, 05:36 PM
I enjoy Skeet shooting. It helps me practice for fall hunting. My favorites are Doves and Ducks. I have wonderful recipes, for both...YUM!

Ignition Override
April 16, 2013, 05:55 PM
Spraying orange paint on a concrete block, then spraying the fragments to be blasted.

At least the dust shows that you hit something.

Grassman
April 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
I just enjoy the time spent shooting with friends and family. We do all kinds of shooting, but the time spent together is the most enjoyable.

PT92
April 16, 2013, 06:17 PM
Likewise I love trap shooting as I am a shotgun aficionado to say the least. That said, as a 'urbanite' reluctantly trapped in 'the concrete jungle,' I love going out to the country where my buddy has some land. We can shoot absent the big crowds or rude Range Masters and enjoy the beauty that Mother Nature has to offer (as opposed to the indoor range in the city which stinks both figuratively and literally).

ETA: Also here in MO. we have a once a year Picnic whereby lots of (Legal) NFA weaponry is available for members to enjoy--Nothing comparable to firing ACTUAL "Assault" (selective fire) guns contrary to what Morgan and Co. would have the general public believe.

TheoShooter
April 16, 2013, 06:24 PM
Trap shooting. Totally addicted to it. Tens of thousands of rounds a year between the wife and I. I'm worried though that she's going to be out shooting me one of these days:eek:

mrnic3guy1989
April 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
I love to.take old baseballs scrounge up and hang them. I shoot them with my Marlin model 60 and get them to sway and try to hit them it's fun and cheap.

kbbailey
April 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
My long-time weakness.....shooting a good score in competition. Trap, skeet, clays, black powder, archery, and hopefully sometime soon....cowboy action.

kbbailey
April 16, 2013, 08:19 PM
......great thread btw

RetiredUSNChief
April 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
Pretty much any excuse to make a gun go "BANG" works for me!

I love plinking, target shooting, and small game/varmit hunting.

Target shooting at an outdoor range, or friend's property, is best because I get to shoot things other than paper targets. VERY satisfying to watch cans and bottles explode and to line up spent shotgun shells and make them disappear when I hit them.

Outdoor shooting/plinking is best when teaching others to shoot, too, because it's more exciting than punching holes in paper.

:)

loose noose
April 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
I like shooting at Front Sight in Pahrump Nv.. Pure disciplined shooting with no nonsense and every time I come back whether it's pistol, revolver, shotgun, or rifle, I know I'm that much of a better marksman than when I showed up. Excellent training, and fun to boot. The next would be instructing those that have never shot a firearm, and having them hit the mark nearly every time and see the satisfaction in there face, after such an accomplishment.:D

Romeo 33 Delta
April 16, 2013, 09:14 PM
Target shooting is a toss up to reloading ... with the BEST fun being WILDCATTING. Spending my life creating cartridges that have absolutely no practical reason for existing !:D ... because I can!

Neo-Luddite
April 16, 2013, 09:15 PM
Honest Answer: Procrastinating on cleaning and organizing.

Sheepdog1968
April 16, 2013, 09:35 PM
......great thread btw
Thanks. It does seem like folks enjoy it. Several years ago I made a thread asking if folks hunted with horses and their impressions. That went over well as well. Many folks even had some nice photos to share.

cheesebigot
April 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
I like to bring new shooters to the bench, open up the C&R cases and watch jaws drop.

ball3006
April 16, 2013, 10:51 PM
When I open the safe and smell the cosmoline. Because of the smell, I know these guns have been there, done that.................chris3

morcey2
April 16, 2013, 11:03 PM
When I open the safe and smell the cosmoline. Because of the smell, I know these guns have been there, done that.................chris3
+1.

Sheepdog1968
April 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
Sometimes I half joke to my wife that they should make a woman's perfume like that (or Hoppes). It would attract men like flies.

bandur60
April 17, 2013, 12:21 PM
A tossup, watching a first-time shooter safely:
(1) empty their first magazine of 5.56;
(2) hit their first jar of tannerite

All-riiight!!! Yesss!!!

horsemen61
April 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
Reloading for me and saving money on ammo while others complain about not finding any at Walmart :evil::evil::evil:

swalton1943
April 17, 2013, 01:18 PM
walking cans with a cap'nball colt. next is shotguning crazyquail.

Bio-Chem
April 17, 2013, 01:24 PM
putting small holes, close together in paper a long ways away.

but i also enjoy reloading, cleaning, holding my guns while watching the movie tombstone. among others

TRX
April 17, 2013, 06:52 PM
2-liter plastic water bottles. With the right bullet and velocity, you can turn one into weirdly deformed plastic shreds and dense fog.

Hagen442
April 17, 2013, 07:20 PM
1) Cowboy Action SASS
2) Sporting Clays
3) Trap

Shoot66
April 20, 2013, 02:06 AM
plinking: steel and clays

drjohn
April 20, 2013, 04:25 AM
It’s all fun, but the most was BB gunning with my kids when they were young. Don’t need to go to the range, shoot right in the backyard. My daughter even earned her high school letters on the school shooting team thanks in part to all the pounds of BB’s sent down range and more than a couple worn out daises. Now.. I’m getting this first grand kid…..can you say pal rifle….

Mr.510
April 20, 2013, 05:00 AM
Shooting steel spinners with a .22 pistol. :D I could do that all day, every day and never get tired of it. I have to get one of the 'drag racing tree' ones next, for a little friendly competition. :evil: I have a feeling this will turn into a mini arms race and I'll end up with Volquartsen everything eventually....

bannockburn
April 20, 2013, 06:03 AM
Plinking away at cans (filled with water or pop), plastic bottles of various sizes, and finishing up with several after Halloween pumpkins.

Agsalaska
April 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
Filling out a 4473 form. :neener:

Just kidding.

Buying a gun is my favorite thing to do with a gun.

April 20, 2013, 09:00 AM
Trying to take a deer with my .50 cal. flintlock.

sota
April 20, 2013, 09:05 AM
shoot.

gk2410
April 20, 2013, 09:14 AM
That's easy - taking my sons and grandsons out for an afternoon of general plinking. I've got the ten year old boy very comfortable with the 45 acp and 45 Colt. Not afraid of anything and a better shot than many of us. Nice to be young, calm and with GOOD EYES. The 14 year old is holding 3/4 to 1" 3-shot groups with his .243. Did I say how proud I am?

breakingcontact
April 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
IDPA

BigN
April 20, 2013, 09:52 AM
Testing reloads and finally getting one right

bigdaa
April 20, 2013, 09:59 AM
DAMN: THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FIREARM!

57 YEARS OLD AND I STILL CAN'T PAY ATTENTION

Well, the favorite firearm activity is definitely casual plinking to out and out blasting. Never leaving anything garbage wise at the range. Never.

My favorite is my International Harvester M1 Garand. It's an old DCM gun I have had for 15 or 20 years.
It also happens to be the favorite of my two sons, Brian (15) and Scott (13)

They ask to shoot it but know it only comes out on special occasions.

I also have a sweet Russian Parade SKS with blacked out bolt and laminated stock. Not so much a shooter as a looker, I have run a few rounds through it.

2nd favy is my 500 S&W. It always draws a crowd and people love it when I let them try a round or two.
Scott likes it but hasn't put a round down range with it yet. This is him a couple years back in grade school.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b207/Bigdaa/07-25-2010067.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Bigdaa/media/07-25-2010067.jpg.html)

OilyPablo
April 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
I have to say steel targets at distance is fun. But day in and day out, indoors and out - rapid target shooting for fun. I'm not talking about just blasting bullets down range, but 3 or 5 rapid shots - goal being the tightest group possible. Challenging, fun and if done correctly good training.

drjohn
April 21, 2013, 01:13 AM
Go Flintlocks! Flip your Frizzen and Spark one up! This was to be a reply to "3213" in post #65

Ms_Dragon
April 21, 2013, 03:16 AM
To be honest I really enjoy feral animal eradication.

Australia has very delicate ecosystems and feral animals do a lot of damage annually.
It makes me all warm and fuzzy to see a feral pig, goat, fox, dog or cat removed from native bushland.

TheSaint
April 21, 2013, 04:04 AM
Tough call, but I just good ol' plinking at the indoor range. There's few things in life more satisfying than getting a good tight group.

Close seconds:

- Buying new gear (who doesn't feel like Christmas when we get our new 'toys'?)
- Tweaking, cleaning, making adjustments to get it just 'right'
- Reloading (can't say for sure, just ordered gear for the first time, but I hear it becomes an addiction for most, even though only 7% of shooters do it)

nelsonal
April 21, 2013, 08:12 AM
I love cleaning them after a range session. I love the smell of Hoppe's and the oils, and the whole process. Probably followed by working up a load that works best in each firearm.

OilyPablo
April 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
I love cleaning them after a range session. I love the smell of Hoppe's and the oils, and the whole process.

I was going to mention this - but I was afraid the hive may think I'm nuts. I love it when I have time to do a deep clean and the results show. There is something about acquiring a gun, firing it - but until I do a deep clean, it does not seem to be "mine". Rather it's a combination of both shooting and cleaning. For example when I get a used specimen, I always learn it well, deep clean it, THEN fire it - bring to the shop, clean it again - and now I feel like it's a keeper. :D

Nalgi
May 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Im with you! Sporting Clays is the most fun. Fast, lots of shooting, a challenge and you can give your friends major crap when they miss!

Squeaky Wheel
May 13, 2013, 09:17 AM
Interesting thread. I'm surprised by the number of folks who said that shooting clay pigeons is their favorite. I've never shot at clay pigeons so I don't understand all the excitement (obviously). When I was growing up only the wealthy (in my neck of the woods anyhow) shot clay pigeons. We were not wealthy.

Also, what is the distinction between skeet and trap? Is one just a more advanced version of the other?

nelsonal
May 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
There is something about acquiring a gun, firing it - but until I do a deep clean, it does not seem to be "mine". Rather it's a combination of both shooting and cleaning. For example when I get a used specimen, I always learn it well, deep clean it, THEN fire it - bring to the shop, clean it again - and now I feel like it's a keeper. :D

I can certainly understand that feeling. For some reason I never feel like something is "mine" until I've gotten it stripped enough to see each part's function, once done, it's usually up there for a good long time, but anything new is sort of black boxish until I see it working in 3-D space.

I suspect my cleaning desire comes from a misbegotten belief that a thing will remain "new" so long as I carefully follow the maintenance ritual. All I know is my detail desire drops dramatically once a thing is damaged. Happily, that doesn't happen to often (especially with my guns).

Furncliff
May 13, 2013, 11:45 AM
S Wheel...

http://showcase.netins.net/web/workingbcs/images/PerfectAimTrap.png

http://iweb.tntech.edu/cpardue/skeetfield.gif

jimmyraythomason
May 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
My favorite firearms activity is turning a piece of military surplus scrap iron into something worth having.

Lunie
May 13, 2013, 07:17 PM
Generically speaking:

Plinking!

Hardtarget
May 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hard to beat standing around with the guys and "challange" pinking with the .22 rifles or pistols. You know...I can do better than that! :D

My #2 is spending some range time with a "first timer". Trying to get that big grin after they see their first good group.

Mark

OilyPablo
May 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
I also enjoy when a "stranger" at the range ASKS me if I want to shoot their gun(s). I have got to meet some great people and try some interesting/cool guns at the same time.

Bruno2
May 13, 2013, 09:32 PM
Yeah , challenge or H.O.R.S.E. with the 22.

How about the "can race"? That's always fun for all ages!

MARKMALL
May 13, 2013, 09:34 PM
Trapshooting! I really like shooting games (oaklies,chips and protectors). After that I like to plink.

Bruno2
May 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
You guys ever shoot skrap?

justice06rr
May 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
I like Tac 3-Gun events and would also like to get into long range precision shooting.

Harvie
May 14, 2013, 05:31 PM
I enjoy bird hunting. I've been opening the season for over forty years, dove hunting. It really is a picnic. Duck hunting opens about 45 days later. Depending how successful the breeding is, duck season could go for 50 - 60 days. It is so much fun, and they are delicious.

tacxted
May 15, 2013, 07:14 PM
clays are alot of fun, especially with friends. moding and acessorizing brings a smile to me too.

AZG
May 15, 2013, 08:00 PM
I enjoy most all aspects of shooting except searching for reloading supplies and ammo. I love shooting clays. I've just started getting into reloading 12 ga and thats very gratifying. Hunting coyotes is always fun. Only have one under my belt but that's fine. I'm more about the stalk than the kill. Then there is building. I've been working for a company building Ak's for a month or three now. I really enjoy it aswell.

coloradokevin
May 16, 2013, 05:26 AM
Long range rifle work on steel or "soft reactive" (prairie dog) targets is one of my favorites. There's simply something magical in placing an object that's less than 1/3 of an inch across onto a 4-12" target at a distance of 1/3 to 1/2 mile away. Whether that results in a nice "ding" of steel, or a "splat" of a pest, it's a challenging and exciting range mission for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your favorite firearm activity to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!