LARP/Archery Tag style arrows

PDA

firemanstrickland
April 15, 2013, 03:46 PM
Got it, Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "LARP/Archery Tag style arrows" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glistam
April 15, 2013, 03:52 PM
I know a place that makes them but I'd like to know what protective equipment is involved and the draw weight of your bow. You can PM me if you like.

firemanstrickland
April 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
got it, Thanks.

JShirley
April 16, 2013, 02:45 PM
The member is- perhaps foolishly- trying to be safe. Try it.

John

glistam
April 16, 2013, 03:31 PM
I've seen my share of injuries from these things. Both freak accidents, such as a glancing arrow flipping over and the nock sticking a guy in the eye orbit, and misuse by people who do not know what they are doing such as using high draw-weight bows or crossbows.

Plus there are different kinds so I was not really sure what you were looking for. Some are meant only to be used when wearing rigid protective items and will bruise if they hit unprotected skin; others meant to be safe for kids and don't require anything really other than perhaps goggles (frankly I wouldn't trust anything beyond a nerf arrow for this). I know that with most types you should never fire with a bow that pulls at more than 28-30 pounds, because rubber or foam moving fast enough will cause blunt-force injury.

firemanstrickland
April 16, 2013, 06:23 PM
gotcha, thank you

firemanstrickland
April 16, 2013, 06:24 PM
thanks for the help.

JShirley
April 16, 2013, 07:18 PM
If that type of "psitol ammo" is going to be used to shoot friends, a certain amount of caution would seem appropriate. Asking about your gear first was the prudent thing to do, AND THE REASON WAS OBVIOUS.

rcmodel
April 16, 2013, 07:34 PM
IMO: Shooting any kind of arrow any anything you don't want to do bodily harm too is foolish & reckless in the extreme!!

Arrows going barely fast enough to stay in the air will penetrate more of anything then a bullet from a handgun or most large rifles.

No matter what kind of soft head you put on an arrow to try & protect the target?

It is still liable to go through the soft head and hurt someone bad when it impacts.

rc

Walkalong
April 16, 2013, 07:37 PM
Asking about safety equipment before the poster tells you how to do something like this was just looking out for your well being. Quite thoughtful of the poster, as I am sure they were just looking to help. I would suggest taking whatever advise and guidance they have to offer.

glistam
April 16, 2013, 08:05 PM
There's this place, who check out as legit with the BBB, but they're kind of expensive: https://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-5419-larp-arrows-round-tip.aspx#

I believe the company archerytag.com will not sell they're products to consumers for patent reasons, and their site is really evasive about this.

There's also this style though they hit quite a bit harder and usually are only suitable if you have rigid protection over the entire head and neck. http://shop.argentlupus.com/Premade-Tubular-Rubber-Stopper-Foam-Siloflex-Arrows-OmaradArrowUnFletched.htm;jsessionid=F17550ABBFDF47E32F4E29A2BDA0997C.qscstrfrnt04

I didn't mean anything by asking about safety first. I see you're adult now. I've just gotten a bit wary due to some questions (not necessarily on this forum) that come from 13-17 year old knucklehead kids who have too much unsupervised time on their hands and access to daddy's credit card.

TimboKhan
April 16, 2013, 11:06 PM
Glistam, thanks for thinking safety first, and you needn't apologize for it.

sent from my Galaxy Note II.

mole
April 16, 2013, 11:12 PM
I too make my own bows and arrows with draw weights ranging from 18#-130#. I also used to play paintball years ago. A 30# bow is easily a potentially lethal weapon even with softer types of heads used. I think a prudent individual would abandon the idea.

Brian Williams
April 17, 2013, 06:48 AM
The safety questions involved are similar to those using simunitions and where to get them. I would first ask if all chambers will be fitted with a safety sleeve that prevents inserting real ammo while letting the simunitions chamber.

hso
April 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
Bingo!

The point is that you've asked roughly the equivalent of "how do I shoot at my friends in tag" and the next logical question is "what do you mean" followed by "what safety gear", "are you using simunition or airsoft", which leads to "what airsoft" because all of it matters in determining what all the parameters are to help keep you and your pals as safe as possible.

The fact that everyone was concerned about the safety of what you wanted to do means that it is a responsible and reasonable concern and that you might learn something more valuable than "where do I get...".

Being defensive about being asked out of an obvious concern for the safety for you and others is not reasonable.

The SCA long ago learned the hard way what problems were encountered with shafts, tips, and armor when shooting "arrows" at other members. At least with the SCA there are now requirements for inspection of gear and armor and Marshals to reduce the risk and oversee the "combat". Look at these to get an idea of where things are now with foam blunt tips and antipenetration devices for the other end as well. http://www.valkyrieforge.com/blunts_apds.html

As to the "protective equipment", you need to add additional head, hand, and throat protection to the list and with all of that I see this as a very real opportunity for Murphy to win the day and someone needing a medic.

Looking at the "archery tag" video I don't see safety as a serious consideration.

blarby
April 17, 2013, 08:30 AM
small interject :

No LARP group i've ever been privy to would ever allow this.

For most of the reasons stated.

SCA, as HSO mentioned has more allowed contact, primarily due to being centered around mock combat..... but I would hesitate to call that LARP'ing, in the strictest sense. More like playing at court, mixed with jousting.

What kind of LARP are you intending to use this in ?

kBob
April 17, 2013, 09:45 AM
Why am I thinking "Hunger Games"......other than the fact I finished the last book of the three last nigh? Swore I would not read the darned things, then my kid got assigned book one at school, I started reading it a week ago, finished it went to amazon/kindle read #2 over the week end and #3 yesterday.

Any way one of the reasons I lost interest in SCA was the use of the padded arrows and the treatment of Robert (Horse Clans) Adams. In the case of the arrows it was that in group gropes they allowed targeted individuals to bat incoming arrows out of the way or dodge and claim no hit. Really like to see that done with even a 65# longbow and bodkin pointed shaft. In the case of Adams not allowing the use of a battle axe as it might actually have been used.

The "creative" bits were a might much for me.

I will say I think Hunger Games will or has lead to more interest in bows.....unfortunately like the interest after the first two Rambo movies. No doubt there will soon be calls for bans on "Assault Bows" and high capacity quivers......

-kBob

Double_J
April 17, 2013, 06:18 PM
The last SCA event I was at where ranged combat took place at used tennis balls/foam tips on all of the arrows. This has been a few years ago, and if you can find a local barony they can help with any safety questions. I personally would be VERY cautious about using paintball gear as safety gear. It works great for its intended use but it is not designed for use as anything else.

On a side note the SCA wound up irking me with some of the "rules" they have about "court" and "proper protocol." I would up meeting a few "royalty" types out of the game and they could/would not step out of character to talk to me. This is when I am a customer at their business. I have dis-associated myself from them for a while, maybe I will go back one day.

firemanstrickland
April 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
Very well, I very much appreciate all of the advise and your concern for my safety, thank you very much.

If you enjoyed reading about "LARP/Archery Tag style arrows" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!