S&w 3904 (wow!)

PDA

gator1gear
April 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
I went out and bought myself a S&W 3904. I bought it because the gun felt GREAT in my hand, and because I wanted a 3rd Gen Smith and Wesson. I got the gun on Thursday and headed to the range with it today, and I can't tell you guys how impressed I am with this gun. I can't remember shooting another gun that shot better. I can't believe it took me this long to try one:banghead::banghead::banghead:...Better late than never I guess!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 3904 (wow!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ShelbyV8
April 16, 2013, 12:46 AM
That is a non-standard configuration. A 3904 should have a blue finish. I see the model number in the picture so it was probably a special build for a police contract. They used the 3904 alloy frame and a stainless slide from a 3906. You are right about the 3rd Gen S&W, I own several 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp. In over 30 years I have never had a malfunction. Enjoy a fine weapon.

USAF_Vet
April 16, 2013, 01:18 AM
Definitely under rated gems. I think the 3rd gen were where they perfected the gun, but my slightly older 2nd gen is not far behind. I've watched the prices nearly double in the past few years as people discover them.
Mine eats anything (I've thought about feeding it a .380 just to see if it could), can't break it, and accurate.

leadcounsel
April 16, 2013, 04:10 AM
Definitely under rated gems. I think the 3rd gen were where they perfected the gun, but my slightly older 2nd gen is not far behind. I've watched the prices nearly double in the past few years as people discover them.
Mine eats anything (I've thought about feeding it a .380 just to see if it could), can't break it, and accurate.

Great pistols, by all accounts. There are better out there, but the 3rd gens are fantastic IMO. However, as for prices "doubling" I don't see that. These were $700+ pistols in the early 1990s... Today these would be well over $1,000 new... but can be had for the sub-$500, heck, even $300-$400 range quite commonly... so if anything the price has come down dramatically...

chunk
April 16, 2013, 06:40 AM
3rd gen smiths are great, I wish I had more of them.

Thaddeus Jones
April 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
Congrats! :)

Very underated full size, single stack 9mm, that had a very short production run due to the ensuing high cap "wonder nine" craze.

I have the all stainless 3906 version. Yours is a special LE order for Gwinett County, hence the nonstandard finish.

Too bad someone doesn't make as nice a single stack 9mm today. Enjoy that fine 3904!! :)

USAF_Vet
April 16, 2013, 05:26 PM
LeadC,

Awhile ago I saw a 5906 at the LGS for $299. Thus was a few months after I bought my 469. Just after The 2nd Presidential debate, when the dreaded AWB question was asked, I saw another 5906 in the same LGS, with a price tag nearly double from the last time, $549.99. That may have been a fluke, but most I see online these days are hovering around the $450 mark, a solid $100 increase over what was typical a year ago. As these are not in high demand, everyone wants a plastic striker fired gun these days, the price increase isn't nearly as bad as it could be. I've seen used Glocks selling for MSRP+, due to demand and lack of availability.

While prices on the S&W guns are not quite double (apologies for a slight exaggeration in my previous post), prices have dramatically increased. I bought my 469 for $250 a couple years ago, but yet I have a standing offer for $500 for the gun.

As a used gun, no one is going to pay new gun prices. So who cares what they sold for, or what that equates to today? how is that even remotely relevant?

If the price on a used gun somehow dropped during all this, and what once sold for $300 now sold for $200, that is a drop in price. But that isn't happening. Prices on everything gun related has only increased.

gator1gear
April 16, 2013, 06:53 PM
ShelbyV8 you're right! I didn't even think about that until you posted. There was also a blued version of the 3904 there. I almost brought it home.

Highland Ranger
April 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
Was always sorry I never got one. Congrats . . . .

smalls
April 16, 2013, 08:06 PM
CDNN always seems to have mags for 3rd gen S&W autos if you need more.

Deaf Smith
April 16, 2013, 08:15 PM
If stainless and stamped '3904' that is a collector item!

So you may want to take real real good care of it.

Deaf

Highland Ranger
April 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
Looks like it is from second pic - why is that a collectors item?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 3904 (wow!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!