TC Venture

PDA

dvdcrr
April 16, 2013, 01:45 AM
What are your basic opinions of this rifle in terms of value, and quality? The 6.5x55 chambering is interesting and it also looks nice in 22-250

If you enjoyed reading about "TC Venture" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cee Zee
April 16, 2013, 06:43 AM
The fact that almost every one that has ever been made has been recalled by S&W is not something that gives me a lot of confidence in their quality. I almost bought one too. Glad I didn't. Generally people have decided that great accuracy isn't great if the build quality isn't there and they think it isn't there with the Venture. It isn't a cosmetic defect either. They can fire without the trigger being pulled. Not good. Not good.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_777653_-1_757978_757978_image

MtnCreek
April 16, 2013, 09:42 AM
I sent two back that were in the recall. Had both back within a few weeks. You should check the serial number of any you're looking at to see if it's in the recall. The sear is marked after S&W checks them / replaces any parts.

IMHO, it would be hard to find a more accurate / better handling hunting rifle in the Venture price range. They have a more refined feel than anything I've handled in that price range too.

dvdcrr
April 16, 2013, 10:13 AM
What was the recall?

jmr40
April 16, 2013, 10:34 AM
What was the recall?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_777653_-1_757978_757978_image

In the above post. #2

Having any company recall their products to fix potential problems is a good sign in my opinion. Ruger and Toyota have probably recalled more guns and vehicles than any other gun or car company. They work to fix problems rather than try to hide them. Remington's have been proven to fire with no trigger pull since 1946. Remington still won't do a recall and spends money to cover up the problem.

In my opinion the Venture is the best of the budget rifles. The quality of workmanship that gives you some pride in ownership isn't there. But the rifles shoot very well. They have good feeling triggers. I think of them as a USA made, slightly less expensive version of a Tikka.

viking499
April 16, 2013, 11:15 AM
slightly less expensive version of a Tikka

I would rather have the Tikka.

Cee Zee
April 16, 2013, 03:23 PM
Ruger and Toyota have probably recalled more guns and vehicles than any other gun or car company.

And how many people were killed by that accelerator problem with their Toyotas? They have one of the highest death rates of any car maker for things that eventually were recalled Toyota really dragged feet on that major recall and they have not been at all responsive to other issues in the past. If you remember they blamed faulty floor mats for the problem and it was only when people continued to die that they finally took responsibility for a major problem with their cars. Then there was my 1980 Toyota 4WD truck. The CV joint on the front drive shaft went out a week after I bought it. It took me almost a year to get one. They had to ship one from Japan. Toyota actually made decent vehicles in the 80's but their quality dropped down radically by the turn of the century. Let's talk about the heads cracking on the 4Runner because they use an iron block with an aluminum head. They have finally started to do recalls because people actually gave them credit for doing a recall even though they were very, very slow about doing it. That's something I have never figured out. People were dying but Toyota still came out looking good. It just shouldn't work that way.

The Venture is a similar thing IMO. The thing that they were recalled over was very serious. It should never have left the factory that way in the first place. I thought they were well built rifles too. I was wrong. And I'm not the only one that thinks they let people down with the construction of that rifle. A rifle that fires without the trigger being pulled is a very serious thing. It just shouldn't happen. I'm sure they fixed it quickly because they didn't want any more bad press than they already got.

I've always liked T/C rifles. But when someone asks me about that specific rifle and the quality of it's construction how could I not mention that recall? I'm not going to just say it's fine, don't worry about it. The OP has a right to know. I'm a long way from being alone on this side of the issue too. Lots of owners were pretty ticked that the rifles they bought had to be shipped back to the factory in a short time. And not all of them came back so quickly either.

This is just my opinion. The OP should read up on the issues and decide for himself. But I know what I think. Any time a rifle maker misses something that crucial I'm going to wonder about whether they missed something else too.

Fire_Moose
April 16, 2013, 03:31 PM
I love my venture. Just wish I could shoot as well as it can.

Keep in mind. Just because its on the recall list does not mean it's defective. They put every gun made before 2011 or something on there.

I have not sent mine in yet. I wanted to do a break in/use up the 200 primers I got first. Have had no issues of the gun going off without a trigger pull. But of course, the 4 rules would keep anything bad from happening.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

MtnCreek
April 16, 2013, 03:38 PM
The original recall was just odd serial #'s, then they expanded it to every rifle within that time frame. Just a guess, but I assumed they became aware of a issue with one machine, then someone decided to expand it to every rifle. No mass manufacturer is going to get it right 100% of the time; to me, it's how they handle it when a problem is found. FWIW...

Cee Zee
April 17, 2013, 05:41 AM
I never said I didn't like T/C. I certainly do like them. I nearly bought one myself. I just don't like what I saw with the Venture. If you can't question the quality of any rifle that has had even minimal problems with firing without the trigger being pulled there's something wrong with the world. I'd still like to have one if it was checked by the factory and fixed if needed. But in the back of my mind I'd still think of that recall. A firearm has got to be safe above all. Yes I know how to remain safe even if a firearm goes off without the trigger being pulled. I don't sweep anyone with any of my weapons with the possible exception of my CCW gun which can sweep someone without me knowing it. Those guns must meet an even higher level of quality IMO. But I've had even high quality guns fire from being too hot etc.. I know a person should never point any weapon, loaded or not, at another person unless you intend to shoot them for some reason. I'm not knocking T/C in general. In fact I've loved their stuff since the 1960's. I like S&W's too.

MtnCreek
April 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
I don't sweep anyone with any of my weapons with the possible exception of my CCW gun which can sweep someone without me knowing it.

Gotta love them shoulder holsters.

mookiie
April 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Are theses the one with swappable barrels or am I thinking of something else?

MtnCreek
April 17, 2013, 06:10 PM
I think that's the Dimension. Barrel swap on Venture would require a smith.

AK Gun Man 88
April 18, 2013, 03:22 AM
Loved mine...it was 338 Win Mag...most accurate rifle I owned. I regret selling it (to fund a 338 WM barrel for my Encore). I do agree that the OP should know about the recall. I was astounded when I first heard about it too! However, I felt that recalling every rifle, and paying for the whole process, was a huge outstanding move by the company. They admitted there was a problem, and fixed it. I don't think buying a Venture is a bad choice at all. I would recommend it!

Bull Nutria
April 18, 2013, 08:52 AM
I bought a 7mm08 Venture, in 2010, it was recalled and it returned quickly. it shoots right at 1 MOA with my reloads, bolt is very smooth, magazine works well, blueing is very nice, doesn't rust at all. never had a problem with it. I would buy another. Thompson Center makes an American made quality firearms.

I handled a Ruger American in a LGS, felt too light, too cheap compared to the Venture, I like Rugers I have MarkII 22pistol and a 357 Security Six both are excellent firearms.

Bull

ssyoumans
April 18, 2013, 06:13 PM
Love mine in 308 Win. Free floated 5R barrel, smooth bolt, and I like the styling. Accuracy has been right at the 1" mark for me with 150gr SSTs. My only complaint has been that the trigger is much stiffer than spec, even when adjusted to its lowest setting. There are no aftermarket trigger groups for it. I bought mine in Nov last year and was on sale, $350 after $50 mail in rebate.

I'd still buy one again.

Cee Zee
April 19, 2013, 07:53 PM
Gotta love them shoulder holsters.

Very true and that's a big reason I've switched over to using them most of the time. But even some shoulder holstes will sweep people. If your gun rides horizontal instead of vertical you'll still be sweeping folks. I do still use my IWB holsters but I'm careful about them most of the time. Sometimes you just can't be. Still the guns are designed to not go off while being carried so I don't worry as much as I would have a while back.

If you enjoyed reading about "TC Venture" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!