Snowbird and gun


April 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
Can a snowbird in GA own a gun or non-resident alien are completely prohibited to 'have a gun in his possesion on his private property'?

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Snowbird and gun" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
April 16, 2013, 04:18 PM
Snowbirds in FL have all sorts of guns - they make up a lot of our business at the trap/skeet gun clubs - I have friends who are English and own a home here - they have their guns here and shoot them regularly at our clubs

April 16, 2013, 04:54 PM
How can they buy when the fll form ask for Alien number? A snowbird has no alien number.

Art Eatman
April 16, 2013, 09:15 PM
Any US citizen or legal alien in Georgia can have pretty much any legal firearm he wants. (Can't buy full-auto, of course.)

April 17, 2013, 06:28 AM
^^ Provided he or she is not otherwise prohibited.

Kestak, are you asking whether you, as a "snowbird" or "legal alien" can buy one while in Georgia, or simply possess one?

If you lawfully own one somewhere else within the US, you can certainly bring it into Georgia and possess it when you go there to visit. If you do not live in Georgia, and wish to buy one there, the laws regarding purchases of firearms by people who are not residents of the state in which the purchase takes place would apply.

April 17, 2013, 08:11 AM
No. My mom and dad, canadians, want to come live in GA 179 days a year. They have guns in Canada and because crossing borders and states with guns is iffy, they want to buy a couple here while they are here.

While they are in canada, because I live here and I am US citizen, I'll store them in my safe.

I know the law for me, but I can't find relevant info for their situation.

April 17, 2013, 08:30 AM
Here is the best answer I found. But I do not think a hunting license for non-resident can make you buy a gun by replacing the A number....

If you are a resident alien (have a green card) then you fill out the same form as everyone else, put your alien admission # (green card #) on the form in the space where it is requested (bottom of first page) and you have to show documentation that you have been in the state continuously for 90 days. This documentation can be rent receipts, utility bills, bank statements, etc. It just has to have your name and local address on it and you need 3 months worth of them.

If you are a non-resident alien (visiting on a temporary visa). Then you need a hunting license.

If you enjoyed reading about "Snowbird and gun" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!