M1911: Transplant Barrel, etc. from one slide to another?

PDA

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 12:45 AM
Is it possible to transplant a barrel and all other slide parts from a M1911 slide which has failed (due to a manufacturing flaw, all other slide parts are fine) to a new slide? The parts have of course been fit to the failed slide at the factory, but the gun was always fairly loose.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1911: Transplant Barrel, etc. from one slide to another?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg528iT
April 17, 2013, 01:26 AM
Yes, but they will need to be fitted. Of course I am talking about similar clones. An internal and external extractor slides are different of course. Oh and series 70 & 80 or swartz safety systems are different. Ok I'll change my answer to maybe.

Greg528iT
April 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
I could fit my STI slide onto my Springfield. I dont expect them to interchange back and forth but once fitted, possibly filing or peening, it should work just fine.

Vern Humphrey
April 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
With a standard mil-spec M1911A1, the parts are interchangeable. Unless your gun was tightly fitted by a smith, you should have no trouble using your old parts in a new slide.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1911: Transplant Barrel, etc. from one slide to another?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!