Help me Pick a C&R for my Brother!!!

PDA

OlBoyFrye
March 16, 2004, 12:17 AM
I'm trying to decide on an inexpensive, not cheap, nice rifle to get my brother. I already have all of the paperwork at www.aimsurplus.com, so I'd like to do business with them. What do you all suggest. I was looking at the M-44, 1938, 91/30 or 91/59 Russian models. All are like $60 and ammo is only $60 for 800 rds. Some of them say that all serial numbers match, does that matter on these types of rifles? Anybody ordered one of these rifles from AIM? Condition? Quality? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me Pick a C&R for my Brother!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pbhome71
March 16, 2004, 12:32 AM
I ordered M38 from Aim. These rifles are arsenal re-finished. The one that I got has almost no cosmoline on it, which is a bit unusual. The bluing look very good to excellent. Mine also was counterbored - muzzle drilled out for the first 1-2 inches to get rid of worn rifling. This is acceptable for a surplus firearm, and should not effect rifle shootability. I have not shot mine, yet. However, others reported that they are fine shooter. My action is also pretty slick.

Regarding matching serial number, it is more desirable to get a matching number. It usually means that the gun is original, and not a gun which someone built from a pile of parts.

AIM are good folks. I order things (ammo, and rifles) from them all the time.) If you have any problem, contact them and they usually try to make thing right for you. There are some folks reported problem with AIM, but this is unusually.

BTW, the ammo are corrosive ammo. Don't forget to clean the rifle right after shooting.

Enjoy.

-Pat

thefitzvh
March 16, 2004, 02:34 AM
I'd go with a 91/30 first... if he likes it, he can get an M44...

Reason I say that is the M44 is a bit uncomfortable to shoot after anything a while. My shoulder's real banged up from my range trip today.

They're so cheap, you should pick yourself up one too..

The 91/30 I just recieved from AIM is positively BEAUTIFUL. Mag floorplate doesn't match but everything else does. Stock has the "Soviet refinish" proofmark... as I understand it, that means it was refinished sometime in the early 50s.

From the proof marks, my rifle was madein the Izhevsk arsenal - 1943. my m44 was made in the same place in 1945, but has a proof mark on it that signifies a Hungarian stock.

Winchester makes new manufacture 7.62x54R that's non corrosive... but it's kinda expensive. Get LOTS of surplus, use windex... then clean as usual :cool:

James

Citadel99
March 16, 2004, 06:38 AM
Isn't buying a rifle for someone else with a C&R license a really big no-no?

Mark

c_yeager
March 16, 2004, 08:01 AM

Sorta. But, buying one for yourself and giving it to a friend or family as a gift is OK. Just be sure to log it as such in your BB. If it makes ya feel funny you could always log it as a 'sale' for $1. Technically it isnt a 'straw purchase' if you log it into your book properly. And of course you shouldnt do it a LOT but, once shouldnt be a big deal.

We are of course assuming that OlBoy's brother isnt a felon or under 18.

goalie
March 16, 2004, 10:26 AM
I got a really nice hex-Tula receiver 91/30 from AIM.

George S.
March 16, 2004, 11:58 AM
I just bought a 91/30 from the local Big 5 Sporting Goods store. I piad $80 for it. I has a Izhevsk mark and a 1931 date on it (hex receiver) and all the numbers match except for the bayonet.

It has a re-arsenal mark on it and overall it is in excellent condition. No big scratches or gouges on the re-shellaced stock, no counterboring and it measures .309 at the bore. The bore appears to be in good shape.

From what I have read, the carbines (M38 and M44) are pretty punishing to shoot unless you have a good shoulder pad. I passed on a very good M44 that was the same price, but I may go back and look again.

7.62x54R Ammo is fairly cheap (Wolf can be around $3.95 a box/20 ) but it's not reloadable. The milsurp stuff is corrosive but cheap. Just douse everything with Windex immediately after shooting and clean it when you get home. Looks like it would be cheap to reload too although the load data I have seen takes over 40 grains of powder :eek: for most bullet weights!!

OlBoyFrye
March 16, 2004, 12:04 PM

Mark

I don't have a C&R liscense. I just meant a cheap mil-surp rifle. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for all of the help so far. Its looking like I may get a 91/30 for him and a 38 for myself. I hope they're as nice as everyone says. Thanks again

Route 66
March 16, 2004, 01:40 PM
If you do buy a bolt action that has a non-matching bolt I'd have the headspace checked before firing.

Zeke Menuar
March 16, 2004, 01:42 PM
All of the aforementioned Mosin-Nagants are good choices for a beginning C&R collector. I started with a Big 5 M38 Mosin and am very pleased with it. I also have a 91/30 and a Hungarian M44. Nice looking guns and good shooters. IMHO the blast and recoil from the carbines is a bit overstated. If you can handle a 18.5" barrelled 12ga shotgun, a Mosin carbine is no problem.

Another gun that is C&R eligible that you might consider is a Yugo SKS carbine, Reasonably accurate, very reliable. About 30-30 power level. Ammo is very inexpensive. I bought my Yugo SKS from AIM when they had them and I am very pleased. Shooting the SKS is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Be aware that C&R collecting is very addictive.

ZM

armoredman
March 16, 2004, 02:40 PM
http://www.aztecguns.com/index.htm

Price can't be beat.....gonna get an M44 and shoulder pad......:D

OlBoyFrye
March 16, 2004, 03:38 PM
Another gun that is C&R eligible that you might consider is a Yugo SKS carbine

I already bought a Yugo SKS from AIM. The last thing it has been is reliable. I cleaned all of the cosmoline off and then cleaned it really well, but I can't get it to shoot more than 3 rounds consecutively. So thats another reason I'm looking for a good C&R for my brother instead of just getting him one of those.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me Pick a C&R for my Brother!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!