Senate (Toomey-Manchin Amend.) Gun Bill Has been...

PDA

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 04:23 PM
KILLED!

Its blocked now.

The Toomey Manchin Amendment was the only moderate/bipartisan element that may have wooed republicans, the UBC bill is virtually dead now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Senate (Toomey-Manchin Amend.) Gun Bill Has been..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hnk45acp
April 17, 2013, 04:28 PM
killed

Ryanxia
April 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
Are you just basing this on how they claim they will vote tomorrow?

USAF_Vet
April 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
How was it killed? Link please.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
Are you just basing this on how they claim they will vote tomorrow?
No. They just voted on the Toomey-Manchin bit which was the only part Republicans would have supported possibly.

I'm watching it live now.

mdauben
Yes!!!

Cosmoline
54-46--that's OUR NUMBER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sdXJiKsQrI

(Appropriate since we won't be going to prison now)

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
How was it killed? Link please.
They don't have enough votes to advance it. They needed sixty.

gopguy
April 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
Turn on CSPAN2 folks they are dealing with the gun bills now.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
Huzzah!? Do you have a link to a livestream?

The Teacher
April 17, 2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 04:35 PM
Huzzah!? Do you have a link to a livestream?
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

Some anti just shouted "shame on you!"

Shame on you for assaulting the Bill of Rights, mam.

The Teacher
April 17, 2013, 04:38 PM
You can also go back and watch all the votes from the beginning, including the Toomey-Manchin vote, here:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Voteson

Ryanxia
April 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
Yes! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

See what we can do as a nation when we defend freedom?!

SuperNaut
April 17, 2013, 04:42 PM
Excellent, now let's make a list of those to go in 2014.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 04:43 PM
Yes! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

See what we can do as a nation when we defend freedom?!

Heck Yeah! :D

But remember that their are a horde of other amendments, including an AWB and mag ban that will be debated in the coming weeks and months. All this means is that any bipartisan support is now dead. If a few Blue Dog dems vote with us as they often do, we are good to go.

http://www.sightm1911.com/1911pix/historic/Damn_Site_Poster1.jpg

The Teacher
April 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
Heck Yeah! :D

But remember that their are a horde of other amendments, including an AWB and mag ban that will be debated in the coming weeks and months. All this means is that any bipartisan support is now dead. If a few Blue Dog dems vote with us as they often do, we are good to go.

http://www.sightm1911.com/1911pix/historic/Damn_Site_Poster1.jpg

I think those votes happen today as well, but I'm not positive.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
Update: The Grassley/Cruz amendment which was very Pro-gun with no concession failed 52-48.

So far we have lost nothing and gained nothing.

AlexanderA
April 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
The Grassley plan was voted down also. This means that the underlying bill defaults to the Schumer UBC, which is so unpalatable in the Senate that it kills the whole bill. The rest of the votes today are just an academic exercise.

longknife12
April 17, 2013, 04:54 PM
This will never be over till they get whatb they want.....Remember that!
Dan
:neener:

Gregaw
April 17, 2013, 04:58 PM
It's bitter-sweet. Good that it didn't pass; sad that a majority of US senators voted for this atrocity. We must now keep up the pressure.

CoRoMo
April 17, 2013, 05:02 PM
The local Walmart is chocked full of ammo again!!

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/AR15%20Stuff/C4C3DF9C-443C-4944-B414-F5EC46DED404-5830-00000CEB4E6ED948.jpg

WOW!! Just goes to show you how fast the panic buying 'cooled off' once the gun control legislation died.

;)

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 05:03 PM
In RELATED news...

But, Colorado...

itchy1
April 17, 2013, 05:04 PM
Seems like those liberally biased poll questions/results on background checks were off just a little bit. These Senators want to get re elected. If 90% of their constituents wanted this bill to pass, it would have passed. 50+ Senators willing to sell us out is still way too many though.

AlexanderA
April 17, 2013, 05:06 PM
Lest anyone become overconfident going forward, keep in mind that the gun bill would have passed if this was a straight majority vote. It was killed only because of the Senate filibuster rules, which require 60 votes to do anything. If the Senate majority (Reid & co.) really wanted to bypass the filibuster, they could have done so, by reforming the rules earlier in the session. In many ways, what happens in the Senate is Kabuki theater and political posturing.

mljdeckard
April 17, 2013, 05:10 PM
Battle is won. We need to clean gear and resupply for the next one.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 05:10 PM
Breaking: Obama to speak at 5:30 on failed progress on gun control. Aides hint at "executive action" being taken to respond to what he feels most Americans desire.

Arkansas Paul
April 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
Great news. Enjoy it for a minute, but don't let up.
Continue to support the NRA and stay in contact with representatives at the least inkling of a gun control bill.
We can't get complacent.

Arkansas Paul
April 17, 2013, 05:15 PM
Aides hint at "executive action" being taken to respond to what he feels most Americans desire.

We've went over this before. Executive action cannot make new laws. He can't just decide to institute universal background checks or assault weapons bans.

KTXdm9
April 17, 2013, 05:18 PM
Interesting, Reid voted no. Pretty much all of the Dems on the fence look to have voted no.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 05:20 PM
THEY ARE VOTING ON THE AWB NOW.

the scum that vote for this in particular are the ones we need to oust in 2014.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 05:21 PM
Oh Christ, the witch is on. "Big clips"

22-rimfire
April 17, 2013, 05:21 PM
Funny CoRoMo. No Wally worlds in my neck of the woods have any of consequence.

McCain voted for the amendment. Feinstein is speaking now. She needs to get here facts straight if she wants to fight crime.

I just saw that Reid had voted "No" to the background check amendment. This corrects what I just posted.

KevinB
April 17, 2013, 05:22 PM
Does anyone have a link to the votes? I can't view the video.

Gtscotty
Thanks for the CSPAN link, I've been listening to the proceedings. They are now voting on the universal carry amendment. Schumer is such a tool, his emotionally based plea against the amendment was rife with ridiculous falsehoods... Something about universal carry law giving weapons to criminals...

:rolleyes:

Blackstone
So I'm confused about proceedings. The Cornyn amendment proposes reciprocal carry. Why bother trying to add this very pro-gun amendment into a bill that is overall anti?

JVaughn
April 17, 2013, 05:23 PM
Let freedom ring my friends!

Now, that's one battle. We have a long way to go, and when this nonsense dies down again, let's put the pressure on our reps to push something we want.

Arkansas Paul

Agreed. And I have a feeling it will happen.

morcey2
Fienstien just chewed out senate for not caring and for requiring 60 votes on these votes.

baz
April 17, 2013, 05:24 PM
But what's this I read about Reid voting NO so as to have the ability to bring it up again?

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 05:24 PM
So I'm confused about proceedings. The Cornyn amendment proposes reciprocal carry. Why bother trying to add this very pro-gun amendment into a bill that is overall anti?
Poison pill.

On the off chance it all passed any anti-gunner that voted yea for the overall bill would have to own allowing Texans and Kansans carry on the streets of New York and San Francisco. The very prospect of it terrifies them.

Queen_of_Thunder
April 17, 2013, 05:25 PM

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/AR15%20Stuff/C4C3DF9C-443C-4944-B414-F5EC46DED404-5830-00000CEB4E6ED948.jpg

WOW!! Just goes to show you how fast the panic buying 'cooled off' once the gun control legislation died.

;)
Quit teasing.

morcey2
April 17, 2013, 05:27 PM
But what's this I read about Reid voting NO so as to have the ability to bring it up again?
I'm trying to find the reference to the rules, but it has something to do with a motion to reconsider being raised by someone from the losing side.

Matt

leapfrog
April 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
Bloomers whinning about SPECIAL INTEREST groups killing it, what the heck does he consider himself and the slugs he organized?

Queen_of_Thunder

Just get the list of those voting for it and post it here so we know what races o send money too come the primeries

browneu
We have to keep the pressure up through 2014. This, I fear, is only the beginning.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Creature
April 17, 2013, 05:30 PM

CmdrSlander, please post the results when it is over! This is my only "news outlet' for the next few hours.

wow6599
April 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
We have to keep the pressure up through 2014. This, I fear, is only the beginning.

Voting them out may buy us another good 10 - 15 years, just like '94 did.
A good reminder.....

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 05:34 PM
AWB crushed like a roach!

Hallelujah!

wow6599
April 17, 2013, 05:35 PM
AWB crushed like a roach!

Yeah, but our very own McCaskill voted for it.

CmdrSlander, let's not forget.....

browneu
April 17, 2013, 05:39 PM
Now the president is giving a statement with parents of the Newtown students.

They're talking about how they're not giving up.

This is why we can't give up.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 05:39 PM
Feinstein AWB amendment, well and truly shut down. 40-60

Manchin and Toomey are nays.

lpsharp88
April 17, 2013, 05:41 PM
Sorry if I seem ignorant on the subject, but has anything happened regarding mag capacity limits?

wannabeagunsmith
April 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
It will in the future. For now, I am happy but the battle in not won.

browneu
April 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
Sorry if I seem ignorant on the subject, but has anything happened regarding mag capacity limits?

No. Voted down.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 05:44 PM
Yeah the Feinstein AWB amendment, which included mag cap limits was just rejected.

lpsharp88
April 17, 2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks, wasn't sure what all got rolled into DiFi's bill

Creature
I would buy everyone here a drink and cigar if I could.

CmdrSlander
Yeah the Feinstein AWB amendment, which included mag cap limits was just rejected.
Time to break these out:
http://0.tqn.com/d/cigars/1/0/v/A/-/-/epernay2.jpg

Chevelle SS
April 17, 2013, 05:48 PM
Woohoo!!! On to the next fight.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 05:52 PM
Offtopic but everytime I hear "Mr Johnson of Wisconsin" I chuckle.

Burr's amendment to protect veterans narrowly rejected 56-44.

Big one coming up now, Blumenthal's magazine capacity ban amendment.

fanchisimo
April 17, 2013, 06:02 PM
If I didn't have class later tonight, I would start celebrating. Blumenthal is debating a magazine ban right now, Amendment 614.

Iggy
April 17, 2013, 06:03 PM
Remember Midnite Friday nite votes.... It' ain't over yet!!

fanchisimo
April 17, 2013, 06:05 PM
Now Grassley of Iowa is talking against the magazine ban. It's so normal, the pro-guns argument cites a report and facts against the bill, the anti just tries to talk about the tragedy at Newtown.

76shuvlinoff
April 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
Biden appeared to acknowledge that defeat was likely but assured supporters that victory was not lost forever.

“If we don't get it today, we'll get it eventually,” he assured gun control supporters.

"I see this as just Round One," Obama said in his Rose Garden remarks.

Like we didn't know that is the plan.

kwguy
April 17, 2013, 06:14 PM
Very nice Cmdrslander:cool:! I'm joining you as we type. The battle may be won, but the war sure is not over. It never will be.

As an aside, you know, I find it amazing that those of us who support the 2A are now classed as a 'special interest group'. Wow.

Hacker15E
April 17, 2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks, wasn't sure what all got rolled into DiFi's bill

The AWB amendment included mag limits, but there was also a separate mag-limit-only amendment that was going to be offered.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
Which is the one currently being voted on?

JVaughn
April 17, 2013, 06:16 PM
CoRoMo,
When and where did you shoot the WalMart photo you posted earlier? My local WM is still bare of everything but .270 and 22-250.

Tomcat47
April 17, 2013, 06:17 PM
In the words of Craig Ferguson ....

ITS A GREAT DAY FOR AMERICA!

And I realize it is not over! But this is what we needed to excite our base...:D

Now Lets Put The Fuel To It !

fanchisimo
April 17, 2013, 06:18 PM
Blackstone,
I think it's currently the independent magazine ban.

TIMC
April 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
We took 6 for 6 today. I think it was a good day for us even though the fight is not over.

Gtscotty
April 17, 2013, 06:23 PM
Normal-cap mag ban defeated 46-54

More amendments to be voted on tomorrow.

r1derbike
April 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Very nice Cmdrslander:cool:! I'm joining you as we type. The battle may be won, but the war sure is not over. It never will be.

As an aside, you know, I find it amazing that those of us who support the 2A are now classed as a 'special interest group'. Wow.Special Interest Group is just polite speak for Terrorists. This administration will stoop to new lows to vilify us. They actually put us in the same league as terrorists. We must get these criminals out of office every chance we get. I wish we could start with Bloomberg.

I'm waiting to see what type of impeachable offense our CIC will try. Both eyes and ears open. Cloak and dagger politics are on their way.

The war isn't over, it has just begun!

BamAlmighty
April 17, 2013, 06:36 PM
Choke on that Obama.

You call us a minority... take one look at gun and ammo sales and keep telling yourself that.

The hardest days of your presidency are ahead of you. A future of failures for a failure. Thanks for nothing.

parker51
April 17, 2013, 06:43 PM
I would write and thank my senators from my state for their support but I can't, I'm from WV. I do hope folks don't forget their position the next time they are up for reelection.

gym
April 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
Once again he dragged those poor people out in front of the camera's. Aside from his shameless antics, he failed to achieve the amount of votes necessary to get his legislation passed. He just keeps repeating 90% of Americans want this passed. Obviously that's untrue or it would have skated through. The shameful thing is that these family's aren't well informed as to what they were actually backing nor how evasive the legislation really would have become had it succeeded. Perhaps they won't ever know that side of the argument, "maybe they don't care", and I can understand that also, having been told that this was the right way to achieve the goal of a safer School System and Country.
We know better and cannot or a second forget what this would have left the door open for had it passed.
I don't think he's done by a long shot, he will try to back door us using tactics that he just accused us of using, "threatening upcoming elected officials" with the wrath of the American majority. Again the majority has just spoken, they said no.
We need to keep our foot on the gas pedal now, and press forward, perhaps to a "national carry license", or he will come up with some new way to try to limit the 2nd Amendment, he basically said so at the end there.
They need to admit that security is needed for our kids in these times, "it seems like people forgot", the war on terror is here to stay.
Weather Domestic or Foreign, Terrorism, and Violence, exists in different colors and forms.

Hacker15E
April 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hopefully this is a wake-up call for all RKBA proponents that this is going to be a generation-long fight (or longer).

A 'victory' today is merely a single battle in a much larger war.

BamAlmighty
April 17, 2013, 06:46 PM
Like Osama said... it's not over.

Elections are coming up in a year, we need to remind the senators who voted for the anti second amendment legislation what happened the last time they did this.

vtail
April 17, 2013, 06:49 PM
Where is Hairy getting this "90% of the American people supported this" number??

Bill4282
April 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
Clinton said in an interview that one of the most damaging things he did to the Dems was getting them to vote for the original ban. Took away the majority and lost many seats in Congress.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
Clinton said in an interview that one of the most damaging things he did to the Dems was getting them to vote for the original ban. Took away the majority and lost many seats in Congress.
Do you have a link to a source for that? Would love to read/watch that.

alsaqr
April 17, 2013, 07:05 PM
Do you have a link to a source for that? Would love to read/watch that.

From Bill Clinton's book:

Just before the House vote (on the crime bill), Speaker Tom Foley and majority leader Dick Gephardt had made a last-ditch appeal to me to remove the assault weapons ban from the bill. They argued that many Democrats who represented closely divided districts had already...defied the NRA once on the Brady bill vote. They said that if we made them walk the plank again on the assault weapons ban, the overall bill might not pass, and that if it did, many Democrats who voted for it would not survive the election in November. Jack Brooks, the House Judiciary Committee chairman from Texas, told me the same thing...Jack was convinced that if we didn't drop the ban, the NRA would beat a lot of Democrats by terrifying gun owners....Foley, Gephardt, and Brooks were right and I was wrong. The price...would be heavy casualties among its defenders." (Pages 611-612)

"On November 8, we got the living daylights beat out of us, losing eight Senate races and fifty-four House seats, the largest defeat for our party since 1946....The NRA had a great night. They beat both Speaker Tom Foley and Jack Brooks, two of the ablest members of Congress, who had warned me this would happen. Foley was the first Speaker to be defeated in more than a century. Jack Brooks had supported the NRA for years and had led the fight against the assault weapons ban in the House, but as chairman of the Judiciary Committee he had voted for the overall crime bill even after the ban was put into it. The NRA was an unforgiving master: one strike and you're out. The gun lobby claimed to have defeated nineteen of the twenty-four members on its hit list. They did at least that much damage...." (Pages 629-630)

"One Saturday morning, I went to a diner in Manchester full of men who were deer hunters and NRA members. In impromptu remarks, I told them that I knew they had defeated their Democratic congressman, Dick Swett, in 1994 because he voted for the Brady bill and the assault weapons ban. Several of them nodded in agreement." (Page 699)

X-Rap
April 17, 2013, 07:06 PM
Elections mean things and the small margin in these votes proves it. If you have Senators that stood their ground then call and write them with thanks for their service to their state. If they wilted and caved or did exactly as predicted call and write them and let them know you fully campaign against their re election. Unfortunately those of us from Colorado have little to celebrate in this session. But we still need to get busy and let our representatives know we are pissed off and want them gone.
I'm sorry that those who dislike the R&D comparisons but Ray Charles could see what side of the fence the majorities are on.

Blackstone
April 17, 2013, 07:08 PM
Thank you alsaqr :)

JustinL
April 17, 2013, 07:10 PM
What tremendous news!

We should enjoy the victory but remember that in politics there are no final victories.

alsaqr
April 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
President Obama is on Tv having sour grapes for supper. :D

NosaMSirhC
April 17, 2013, 07:20 PM
It's not over. Senator Reid voted against it so procedurally he can bring it up again for a vote at a later date. He did vote for the AWB and magazine ban amendments...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

morcey2
April 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
I think of this as a "smoke-em-if-you-got-em" moment. A few are standing guard while we're cleaning our guns, taking showers, refilling magazines, changing oil in the vehicles, get a nap, and be ready for the next battle which I don't think is that far in the future. 2014 at the latest.

I'm proud of both of my Senators, Lee and Hatch. Schumer and Feinstein both looked like the oligarchs-in-decline that they are. It was embarrassing. I haven't seen Obama's tirade yet, but it wasn't any better from what I understand.

Matt

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 17, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cry us a river of crocodile tears Obummer--you communist scum.

Cosmoline
April 17, 2013, 07:28 PM
This is not the end, of course. But look at the faces. Look at the hair and the wrinkles. I think this is the end of a generation of gun control. Dianne, Frank and Biden are the old guard. Chuck is a little younger but he's always been teamed with them. I remember the NRA once called him, Dianne, Frank and I think Ted Kennedy the "four hoursemen." Well that day is done. And I don't think we'll be seeing the AWB or high cap bans proposed again at the federal level.

The new battlefield is background checks and licensing. And as new faces emerge from our ranks, we can expect new faces from them as well. Bloomberg's involvement is actually beneficial to us since his ugly mug has huge negatives attached to it.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 07:52 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/Funny/17324_552665124756002_385013817_n.jpg

Kingofthehill
April 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2uh2yxz.jpg

Deltaboy
April 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
Way to Sen. MARK PRYOR of ARKANSAS who voted what his people wanted and not what the Prez wanted. OBAMA is now a Lame Duck.

TarDevil
April 17, 2013, 08:03 PM
The shameful thing is that these family's aren't well informed as to what they were actually backing nor how evasive the legislation really would have become had it succeeded. Perhaps they won't ever know that side of the argument

Perhaps it is time to change tactics and reach out to them. Write the NRA about ad campaigns to inform them that we very much care and will support laws that will protect their and our children NOW.. instead of "feel good" worthless measures.

SuperNaut
April 17, 2013, 08:06 PM
I would like to remind Arizonans that Reid stated quite emphatically that he "voted his conscience." While seemingly noble to some, it must be pointed out that he was elected to represent Arizona, not his conscience.

I've been a casual Reid supporter in the past, I've learned my lesson.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 08:08 PM
I would like to remind Arizonans that Reid stated quite emphatically that he "voted his conscience." While seemingly noble to some, it must be pointed out that he was elected to represent Arizona, not his conscience.

I've been a casual Reid supporter in the past, I've learned my lesson.
You mean McCain.

Reid is a Nevadan.

SuperNaut
April 17, 2013, 08:13 PM
Sorry I actually meant Nevada. I'm getting my RINO's and DINO's confused!

josiewales
April 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
Huzzah!!

Texshooter
April 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
As I think you all know, this was one battle. The war will last until the end of the Republic.

Many of the younger generation have grown up in the MTV, the Gov't will provide, It is all about Me generation. They will have to learn Freedom is not Free.

They will have to be reminded what will happen to the rest of the Bill of Rights if the 2nd is again attacked.

It is a war unto Eternity as long as evil men dwell among us.

Trent
April 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hell yeah!

I'm a happy man .. at least for today.

SilentStalker
April 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
I am going to remind you all to be eternally vigilant!!!!!!! We won the battle this time but it is far from over!

303tom
April 17, 2013, 08:43 PM
The assault weapons bill FAILED:

splithoof
April 17, 2013, 08:47 PM
Now, if some of you riders would trot on over to California, we need a little help....

Tom from WNY
April 17, 2013, 08:50 PM
Do not delude yourself. This is a respite from what may be an onslaught in the future. Take a short rest, post watch and continue the fight.

As an aside, I was embarassed to be a New York resident watching Schumer disrespect and debase all of our veterans when he spoke against the Burr amendment. I remind all of our veterans who laid thier lives on the line for your and my freedom that Charles Schumer firmly believes that you do not deserve to own and use firearms. He was quite willing to throw you under the bus.

CmdrSlander
April 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
This has its own thread but since a lot of people are in here I'd like to say that as these were being killed Kansas signed in to law sweeping gun law liberalizations, allowing teachers to carry in schools, protecting NFA weapons from Federal prosecution, banning the enforcement of confiscation and registration of firearms at the state and Federal level, and legalizing carry in any state building that lacks a metal detector and guard (on the grounds that in such buildings, only the law abiding would disarm).

joeschmoe
April 17, 2013, 08:57 PM
The knock out punch needs to come to them at the voting booth. Replace every one who voted against the 2nd Amendment.
We need to start vetting candidates and raising money now. Not just wait for the usual lesser of two evils game.

Fremmer
April 17, 2013, 08:58 PM
No compromising our 2nd amendment rights away! NO.

SabbathWolf
April 17, 2013, 09:00 PM
I would buy everyone here a drink and cigar if I could.
How's this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/smilies/b2fbadaf.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Swampdragon/media/smilies/b2fbadaf.gif.html)

:D

barnbwt
April 17, 2013, 09:25 PM
“If we don't get it today, we'll get it eventually”

Another Biden quote for the record books. It's uncanny how the man speaks his own words out of context so consistently. A regular Fruedian Slip machine :D

TCB

mljdeckard
April 17, 2013, 09:52 PM
I've been wearing out my fingertips replying on facebook. Lost a few friends today. (I won't miss them.)

-v-
April 17, 2013, 09:54 PM
This is great news indeed! Now, time to make up lists for 2014 of politicians to vote out of office. If they tried once, they'll try again.

DeadMoneyDrew
April 17, 2013, 10:05 PM
LOL. I just caught part of Piers Morgan's show from today. The butthurt that he spewed was fantastic.

76shuvlinoff
April 17, 2013, 10:07 PM
Dear gun grabbers:
Get off my lawn.

bigfinger76
April 17, 2013, 10:17 PM
Just enjoyed a Cuban at my bench.
The gov't. finally gets something right, and I've never seen so much anger on the "news". Interesting times...

Swing
April 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
Sweet.

Kingofthehill
April 17, 2013, 10:28 PM
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Texasbulldog74/547601_649766245049702_158265867_n.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/Texasbulldog74/media/547601_649766245049702_158265867_n.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Texasbulldog74/537291_498943226820145_1215843683_n.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/Texasbulldog74/media/537291_498943226820145_1215843683_n.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Texasbulldog74/538006_568512539836998_2716425_n.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/Texasbulldog74/media/538006_568512539836998_2716425_n.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Texasbulldog74/521627_734917663028_1262605288_n.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/Texasbulldog74/media/521627_734917663028_1262605288_n.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Texasbulldog74/164915_10151847122648056_366757657_n.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/Texasbulldog74/media/164915_10151847122648056_366757657_n.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Texasbulldog74/3575_437130719706787_901064834_n.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/Texasbulldog74/media/3575_437130719706787_901064834_n.jpg.html)

Claude Clay
April 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
shoud it be that we have turned the corner on the crazy times
it is but a pause. at the rate we are losing our culture of freedom and the gun...down in 30 years from evrey other house to one in three today.
as time goes by, soon there will be too few to stand against the
chipping away.

--------------

nibbled to death by goldfish

bigfinger76
April 17, 2013, 10:38 PM
Looks like Hagan got all of them right.

joeschmoe
April 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
Elections for the United States Senate will be held on November 4, 2014

By then everyone will have forgotten and go back to voting for the "lesser of two evils" game that got us here in the first place.
Do not re-elect those who voted against the 2nd Amendment. State and federal, especially legislators.

Tomcat47
April 17, 2013, 11:00 PM
I would write and thank my senators from my state for their support but I can't, I'm from WV. I do hope folks don't forget their position the next time they are up for reelection.

Be rest assured that I will write mine!

One gets kudos! Tim Scott

One Gets an invitation to leave... I hear McDonalds is hiring

Here are 16 I hope to hear "Want fries with that"?

Here are the 16 Republican senators who voted for cloture:

Lamar Alexander (Tenn.)
Kelly Ayotte (N.H.)
Richard Burr (N.C.)
Saxby Chambliss (Ga.)
Tom Coburn (Okla.)
Susan Collins (Maine)
Bob Corker (Tenn.)
Jeff Flake (Ariz.)
Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
Dean Heller (Nev.
John Hoeven (N.D.)
Johnny Isakson (Ga.)
Mark Kirk (Ill.)
John McCain (Ariz.)
Patrick Toomey (Pa.)
Roger Wicker (Miss.)

Stress_Test
April 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
I offer this in consolation to Obama and the other arrogant anti-2A elitists who wanted these bills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXg6UB9Qk0o

Cry me a river, gun haters! :D

Tomcat47
April 17, 2013, 11:34 PM
Note: It Seems Graham In Fact Voted Nay! Verify Your Senators Votes Please

DeadMoneyDrew
April 17, 2013, 11:45 PM
Be rest assured that I will write mine!

One gets kudos! Tim Scott

One Gets an invitation to leave... I hear McDonalds is hiring

Here are 16 I hope to hear "Want fries with that"?

Here are the 16 Republican senators who voted for cloture:

Lamar Alexander (Tenn.)
Kelly Ayotte (N.H.)
Richard Burr (N.C.)
Saxby Chambliss (Ga.)
Tom Coburn (Okla.)
Susan Collins (Maine)
Bob Corker (Tenn.)
Jeff Flake (Ariz.)
Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
Dean Heller (Nev.
John Hoeven (N.D.)
Johnny Isakson (Ga.)
Mark Kirk (Ill.)
John McCain (Ariz.)
Patrick Toomey (Pa.)
Roger Wicker (Miss.)

That was just a procedural vote. Only Collins, Kirk, McCain, and Toomey voted Yea on the amendment itself.

Here's the entire voting record for the amendment from http://www.senate.gov

S.Amdt. 715 to S. 649 (Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013)

Alphabetical by Senator Name
Alexander (R-TN), Nay
Ayotte (R-NH), Nay
Baldwin (D-WI), Yea
Barrasso (R-WY), Nay
Baucus (D-MT), Nay
Begich (D-AK), Nay
Bennet (D-CO), Yea
Blumenthal (D-CT), Yea
Blunt (R-MO), Nay
Boozman (R-AR), Nay
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Brown (D-OH), Yea
Burr (R-NC), Nay
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Cardin (D-MD), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Chambliss (R-GA), Nay
Coats (R-IN), Nay
Coburn (R-OK), Nay
Cochran (R-MS), Nay
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Coons (D-DE), Yea
Corker (R-TN), Nay
Cornyn (R-TX), Nay
Cowan (D-MA), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Nay
Cruz (R-TX), Nay
Donnelly (D-IN), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Fischer (R-NE), Nay
Flake (R-AZ), Nay
Franken (D-MN), Yea
Gillibrand (D-NY), Yea
Graham (R-SC), Nay
Grassley (R-IA), Nay
Hagan (D-NC), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hatch (R-UT), Nay
Heinrich (D-NM), Yea
Heitkamp (D-ND), Nay
Heller (R-NV), Nay
Hirono (D-HI), Yea
Hoeven (R-ND), Nay
Inhofe (R-OK), Nay
Isakson (R-GA), Nay
Johanns (R-NE), Nay
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Johnson (R-WI), Nay
Kaine (D-VA), Yea
King (I-ME), Yea
Kirk (R-IL), Yea
Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Lee (R-UT), Nay
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Manchin (D-WV), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Yea
McConnell (R-KY), Nay
Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
Merkley (D-OR), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Moran (R-KS), Nay
Murkowski (R-AK), Nay
Murphy (D-CT), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Paul (R-KY), Nay
Portman (R-OH), Nay
Pryor (D-AR), Nay
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Nay
Risch (R-ID), Nay
Roberts (R-KS), Nay
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Rubio (R-FL), Nay
Sanders (I-VT), Yea
Schatz (D-HI), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Scott (R-SC), Nay
Sessions (R-AL), Nay
Shaheen (D-NH), Yea
Shelby (R-AL), Nay
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Tester (D-MT), Yea
Thune (R-SD), Nay
Toomey (R-PA), Yea
Udall (D-CO), Yea
Udall (D-NM), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Nay
Warner (D-VA), Yea
Warren (D-MA), Yea
Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
Wicker (R-MS), Nay
Wyden (D-OR), Yea

MagnunJoe
April 17, 2013, 11:48 PM
My fellow Floridians: we must get rid of Bill Nelson, he's a disgrace and a phony.

MK75
April 17, 2013, 11:50 PM
It's not over yet gents. We have to be/remain vigilant.

Bruno2
April 17, 2013, 11:57 PM
WA state had both of its Senators vote in favor of every anti gun bill that came across the board today. They also voted against every pro liberty bill that was proposed. WA , you guys need to clean house ASAP!

gc70
April 18, 2013, 12:28 AM
Looks like Hagan got all of them right.

I would not count Hagan's vote FOR the Manchin-Toomey amendment as a positive; YMMV.

bigfinger76
April 18, 2013, 12:38 AM
That contradicts what I read elsewhere. I stand very corrected.

Ignition Override
April 18, 2013, 12:42 AM
Heaven forbid another terrible event involving a gun in the near future, but it would not take much to push the Capitol Hill 'canoe' out of its fragile balance.
Please support the NRA's lobbying on Capital Hill. I've yet to hear/read about a single organization with equal clout, but enlighten me on what it might be.

Coromo: Is that an Old photo of Walmart's ammo?

Does today's vote suggest that many of the multitudes of ammo flippers could soon start to sweat, in a discounting battle:scrutiny:?

wacki
April 18, 2013, 01:19 AM
honestly, I'm in disbelief. NPR said this bill had 90% public support in February. I honestly don't understand how this passed.

This is pretty amazing.

Well this puts up a big roadblock for backdoor gun registration schemes. That's for sure.

Bill4282
April 18, 2013, 03:52 AM
Keep a watchful eye - they can introduce the same bills and amendments every year. Check the record, Fienstein in office to 2018. Currently 79 years old. One catastrophe or bad election, and TSHTF all over again. Bloomberg's plan - attack at the State level, gun bans one State at a time. Look at Colorado, never would have believed it.

sidheshooter
April 18, 2013, 04:02 AM
WA state had both of its Senators vote in favor of every anti gun bill that came across the board today. They also voted against every pro liberty bill that was proposed. WA , you guys need to clean house ASAP!

No mean feat, believe me. King county is a tough nut to crack.

Thursday45
April 18, 2013, 04:06 AM

Unfortionately for everyone living in WA yet outside of the Union of Soviet Socialists of King County, that ain't happening. Basically; how King County goes, so goes the State of WA.

joeschmoe
April 18, 2013, 04:14 AM
What we need are better candidates to run against them. Not throw away candidates with no credentials.

Bruno2
April 18, 2013, 08:32 AM
Tom Coburn is leaving office after this term. I believe that's why he is voting against the peoples wishes. His FB page got slammed when he voted for the debate of our constitutional rights. He weaseled out by denying support for Manchin/Toomey yesterday morning at the last minute. He openly admitted to collaborating with them to write the bill. He also voted for cloture on the Reed bill that is supposed to be debated today. Coburn put up an explanation of why he was going to vote for UBC's on his FB page. It read something to the effect that he was not going to do what was popular, but what he felt was right.I wrote him informing him that the popular vote put him in office so he had better do what was popular!

OTOH, Jim Inhoffe our other Senator stood tall and never waivered through the entire attempt to steal our civil rights. Hats off to Inhoffe. We need another one just like him.

I was very disappointed to see that Alan Gottlieb from the ccrkba/saf helped to write the Manchin/Toomey bill as well. I withdrew my support for them as well. Their FB page was on fire as well after they came out and openly admitted involvement.

This should be a lesson to all. Coburn was a staunch conservative with an excellent voting record to back it up with. He turned at the last minute and he may still burn us with the next vote. A UBC proposal is still on the table.

CoRoMo
April 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
CoRoMo,
When and where did you shoot the WalMart photo you posted earlier? My local WM is still bare of everything but .270 and 22-250.
So is mine. The picture is from long ago. :neener:

Creature
April 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
wacki wrote: honestly, I'm in disbelief. NPR said this bill had 90% public support in February. I honestly don't understand how this passed.

Thats because those polled was a sampling of registered voters from NJ, PA and VA. Here is the source of that ridiculous "90%" statistic: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes--centers/polling-institute/search-releases/search-results/release-detail?ReleaseID=1842&What=&strArea=;&strTime=3

Pilot
April 18, 2013, 01:16 PM
I think Toomey really got hosed by the Dems. He will now be very vulnerable next election cycle. This may have been the Dems motivation, and he took the bate. Politics is a tough business. He just got schooled.

wacki
April 18, 2013, 11:55 PM
Thats because those polled was a sampling of registered voters from NJ, PA and VA. Here is the source of that ridiculous "90%" statistic: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ea=;&strTime=3

Then whats the real answer?

SuperNaut
April 18, 2013, 11:58 PM
Then whats the real answer?
Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/159830/debt-gov-dysfunction-rise-top-americans-issue-list.aspx). 4% of Americans polled think guns are an important problem.

http://www.humanevents.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/gallup_apr15.gif

Bartholomew Roberts
April 19, 2013, 12:33 AM
He weaseled out by denying support for Manchin/Toomey yesterday morning at the last minute. He openly admitted to collaborating with them to write the bill.

Coburn was originally in negotiations with Schumer, Kirk, and Manchin to pass a background check bill (not Manchin-Toomey). The negotiations fell apart because Schumer insisted on records of legal sales and Coburn would not agree to that. After it fell apart, the same trio suckered Toomey into supporting UBCs and worked out a new deal.

Coburn actually had a separate amendment advancing his own plan for background checks on all sales but no records. Reid didn't even schedule it for a vote - even though the background check issue is the major obstacle in the whole bill. I think Schumer fears a workable background check system that doesn't generate records of legal sales more than anything else.

gc70
April 19, 2013, 02:17 AM
For those who have not yet had a chance to read about it, following are links to Coburn's amendment and related documents:

Amendment Text (http://coburn.senate.gov/public//index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=ec4679e8-8e06-4bc8-bbc5-ea18337f9151)

Section by Section Breakdown (http://coburn.senate.gov/public//index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=8982ef40-1ccf-4325-ad25-b5a0182a7c37)

Talking Points (http://coburn.senate.gov/public//index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=e9f37e42-c1fd-435e-8104-88308b154e7a)

Manco
April 19, 2013, 10:19 PM
Choke on that Obama.

You call us a minority... take one look at gun and ammo sales and keep telling yourself that.

No, I think he's correct here--gun owners are a minority in this country now. And as a minority, we can expect to be subjected to prejudice, bigotry, demonization, irrational hatred, and the denial of our Constitutional rights, just like every other minority group throughout history.

What would somebody like Obama know about being a member of a minority group? After all, he has the majority of the people--the "mob" as it were--on his side now (even in the Senate, the required supermajority notwithstanding), so he doesn't have to care about our rights--we're just a minority group, and therefore subhumans who don't matter. That's how people are, as history has shown us. While his kind doesn't have the majority of the House yet, they will before long, and public schools will make sure that it stays that way indefinitely.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
gc70, thanks for posting that... i am going to start a new thread so we can crowd source analysis of that amendment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Senate (Toomey-Manchin Amend.) Gun Bill Has been..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!