Mystery Sniper's Rifle

PDA

Big Al Mass
April 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
I came across this photo a while ago and there was no info as to who the men are or (more importantly) what the rifle is. It is clearly a Mauser action on some kind of aluminum stock. The barrel has cooling rings in the visible section.

Any info appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery Sniper's Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scooter22
April 17, 2013, 09:23 PM
Don't know where the pic came from but it looks like a movie "ghetto" special. That high scope mount isn't exactly stable and those ridges in the barrel really won't cool anything. Looks like a poorly machined barrel. That stock........:barf: I'll bet Rapcrap music was playing in the scene. Oh and I'll also bet they showed .50BMG rounds for the gun. Waste of a good Mauser.

HOOfan_1
April 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
Looks like a mauser in an aftermarket stock

barnbwt
April 17, 2013, 09:30 PM
Barrel looks a bit thin compared to the length of the ejection port. The barrel, mount, rings, scope, and butt all culminate to scream "homebrew" to me :D. I'm guessing a 22LR blank firer for some Holy(er than thou)wood gun-defamation flick :D. The "intense stares" of the actors would seem to suggest a prop-gun as well.

TCB

Scooter22
April 17, 2013, 09:33 PM
Thats a M98 action. Oh and if it was a 8x57/30-06 or other medium cartridge homeboy is going to get his eye poked with the scope.

Coyote3855
April 17, 2013, 09:35 PM
If there's any recoil at all, that thing will put his eye out!

dprice3844444
April 17, 2013, 09:37 PM
almost looks like a thompson bbl,45acp?

Gordon
April 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
Looks like it was cobbled up in a poor african state from a mauser with a MG barrel and cheap scope and mounts. This is NOT what you want to have a terr pointing at U as it MAY be sighted in!:cuss:

taliv
April 17, 2013, 11:14 PM
is that one of those scopes with the ferris wheel on the other side? i have no idea what those things are used for.

hey,at least they didn't put the scope on backwards

adelbridge
April 17, 2013, 11:18 PM
Am I the only one that noticed the spinner side focus?

brian923
April 17, 2013, 11:19 PM
I believe those scopes are made for airgun shooting. I think, but may be wrong, parallax adjustment? but that is a mauser action, maybe a mini mauser type since the action does look short, and I also agree that the barrel does resemble an old thompson barrel. but I would not call it a sniper rifle...

PlaneJain
April 17, 2013, 11:20 PM
They could have mounted the scope a little closer to the barrel while they were at it.

303tom
April 17, 2013, 11:23 PM
Looks like a Hollywood Prop to me...............

akv3g4n
April 18, 2013, 08:12 AM
It's from the series "Strike Back".

http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2011/08/dvd-review-chris-ryans-strike-back-uk.html

Looks like Andrew Lincoln of "Walking Dead" fame is also in the series.

WardenWolf
April 18, 2013, 10:53 AM
That can't be an original 8mm or 7mm Mauser. The action and barrel are way too thin. I'm suspecting a "Mini Mauser" like the ones made by Zastava chambered in .223. They're essentially 98's just scaled down. While they're accurate rifles, they're no long-range sniper.

MtnCreek
April 18, 2013, 11:37 AM
It needs more chrome and a little fur on the check piece would look nice too.

Big Al Mass
April 18, 2013, 02:45 PM
It's from the series "Strike Back".

http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2011/08/dvd-review-chris-ryans-strike-back-uk.html

Looks like Andrew Lincoln of "Walking Dead" fame is also in the series.
That is indeed where it is from. It is listed on the IMFDB as the Truvelo Armory CMS Sniper Rifle (Link here: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Strike_Back_-_Season_1). Thanks for all the help guys.

Orion8472
April 18, 2013, 03:56 PM
When I see a "spotter" with cornrows, I generally see it as not worth looking at anyway. Looking at the barbaric condition of the rifle, . . . even more so.

rcmodel
April 18, 2013, 04:07 PM
It is listed on the IMFDB as the Truvelo Armory CMS Sniper RifleBut it isn't.
It's a converted Mauser action with an air-rifle scope on it TV/movie Prop Gun.

A real Truvelo Armory CMS Sniper Rifle?
Not hardly!
http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/files/militarysystems/supplier_docs/Truvelo%20SR%20Brochure%202011.pdf

rc

Big Al Mass
April 18, 2013, 11:48 PM
Well then the IMFDB is in error. Not surprising since it is a wiki-type site. This isn't the first time they are wrong on something.

josiewales
April 19, 2013, 03:23 PM
Anyone notice all the good trigger discipline in the IMFDB write up?

dagger dog
April 19, 2013, 03:36 PM
If the scope was mounted any lower you couldn't flip the safety, but it has a bolt handle bent to clear a low mounted scope, probably super glued together from spare parts.

Surely they wouldn't have cut the barrel of a Thompson !

kBob
April 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
Numerich used to have finned Thompson barrels for near nothing in the way back, they likely still have them , but not for near nothing.

Maybe three years ago Sportsmans guide had them if you wanted to build a dummy gun as part of a kit.

Of course a 1928 style Thompson barrel would not keep the BATF happy in the US, but there have been 16.5 inch barrels made for semi autos sort of like the 1927 for ages, but they definitely were not cheap.

Hmm a Mauser 98 or even 93 mated with a .45 ACP barrel......if you could make it use a 1911 magazine or maybe one of the newer double stacks...... Threaded muzzle of course.....Something like a Tuetonic De Lisle carbine...... hmmm. Maybe for non suppressed some loads with something slower burning than Unique or 231 that might like a 16.5 inch barrel.... darn good thing I do not have the money or equipment to experiment ....

Actually the idea sort of reminds me of the .45 ACP Springfield 03-ish in Hatcher's Notebook.......

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery Sniper's Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!