Black Talons Banned!! Breaking news!!

PDA

mljdeckard
April 18, 2013, 11:15 AM
The Enlightened Peoples' Benevolent Protectorate of San Francisco has reached into the future and banned a device so destructive as to have ....seemingly mythical properties. Get this.....there is a round out there called the Black Talon. When it hits a human target, it actually comes alive and tears chunks of flesh out of people. But San Francisco is ahead of this game, and they have ensure that no one in that city needs to be worried about such .....mayhem.

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/16/san-franciscos-black-talon-ban-comes-a-little-too-late/

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Talons Banned!! Breaking news!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
April 18, 2013, 11:20 AM
Wow. Talk about missing the boat. Of course, I'm sure their courts will interpret the law to include anything "substantially similar". I.e., all hollowpoints or at the very least Ranger XST's.

jerkface11
April 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
Not sure what to say about that.

TAKtical
April 18, 2013, 11:23 AM
Sometimes I am truly amazed at the stupidity I see on a daily basis.

Whacked
April 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
not surprised in the least.

bigdaa
April 18, 2013, 11:33 AM
San Francisco is truly the land of the socially, morally and mentally bereft.

While you may find any and every prurient entertainment there, you will not find logical thought and motivation.

It is the blight of my state and the center for degradation and decay.

That being said, it does have some awesome scenery and a couple of impressive bridges.

Tommygunn
April 18, 2013, 11:34 AM
Weren't Black Talons a particularly EVIL hollowpoint round that, if you shot someone in the pinkie with one, it would disintegrate his entire body?? -- and weren't they marketed somewhere back in the 1990s, before they were, uh...given a new name, or something???:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dr. Sandman
April 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
What a great name for ammo... The Black Talon! That has to be in the top ten all time of great ammo names. This legislation is what happens when people that are ignorant with regard to key issues try to regulate things that they don't understand.
ETA: I hope that Mythbusters does not try to define "ballistically similar"

leprechaun50
April 18, 2013, 11:45 AM
Black Talon.............Black Assault Rifles.......... = EVIL

I think I see a pattern here.

MachIVshooter
April 18, 2013, 11:46 AM
and weren't they marketed somewhere back in the 1990s, before they were, uh...given a new name, or something???

They are no longer black in color, and now bear the name Ranger Talon SXT. Much safer ;)

Sam1911
April 18, 2013, 11:49 AM
Wow! They aught to expand that program and ban other things -- the Atari 2600, "New Coke," Yugos -- and other stuff that hasn't been made in 20 years!

bigdaa
April 18, 2013, 11:49 AM
It was 94 when the Black Talon craze hit.

I tried to order 200 Black Talons in 44 mag. I got my order in just a snit too late and received NOTHING!

The ammo then hit the resale market at prices commensurate with what people are trying to get for 22 rimfire right now.

That was a long time ago and I wouldn't have thought about BT at all except for situations like this where somebody brings it up.

leprechaun50
April 18, 2013, 11:50 AM
They are no longer black in color, and now bear the name Ranger Talon SXT.

SSSHHHHHHHHH they'll hear you.

dprice3844444
April 18, 2013, 11:50 AM
and they still reproduce

mljdeckard
April 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
Does it not seem like Dr. Evil giving briefings on his new plans, titled "The Alan Parsons Project" and "Preparation H"?

:banghead:

nathan
April 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
I would love to see the T series compared with the Federal HST.

Bubba613
April 18, 2013, 11:58 AM
They were occasionally referred to as "black felons". They weren't stellar performers either. Winchester basically repackaged them into the SXT, which stands for "Same Exact Thing".

Bianchi?
April 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
Eh....at least they didn't ban the Ranger Ts.....

Akita1
April 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
I still have a few 9mm from back in the day; shoot them at hogs at my camp from my SIG - of course buy the SXTs as well!

Oklacoyotekiller
April 18, 2013, 12:25 PM
Sound predjudice to me

InkEd
April 18, 2013, 12:27 PM
Sounds like they want to ban HP ammo.

Oklacoyotekiller
April 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
No. Just black guns and black ammo. ;)

herkyguy
April 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
someone needs to market a JHP called the "rainbow spreader" or something. Maybe the bullets can come in different colors. make it look like a box of crayons.

MedWheeler
April 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
Herkyguy suggests:

"rainbow spreader"

Uh, no. Not in San Francisco. 'Nuff said.

ball3006
April 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
I still have a box of 45acp and 357 black talons. I guess I should take them to the next gun show. Maybe I can swap them for a EBR.....chris3

alex4922
April 18, 2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I remember the video of a surgeon holding a bloody expanded round explaining that it was even dangerous to the medical staff to handle after removal from the victim. Dunno if BTs really did expand with sharp points from the jacket all around but if so all the better. I say if you are going to send a gift, send the very best !

A

Outlaw Man
April 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
From the city that brought you Diane Feinstein, this shouldn't be surprising. :rolleyes:

What's next? Paper shotgun shells? Minnie balls?

mljdeckard
April 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
They tear open and the petals are....just as sharp as the jacket fragments from any other JHP.

FitGunner
April 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
Ah yes, banning stuff that is no longer available. Its just common sense, right?

phil dirt
April 18, 2013, 02:02 PM
San Francisco bans Black Talons? This sounds perfectly logical to me when you consider that San Franciscans have kept Feinstein in office all these years.

SilentScream
April 18, 2013, 02:11 PM
I remember back in the 90's when the gun control craze was in high gear(at least for that time period) Channel 4 or it might have been Ch.7 (Los Angeles) did a story on how destructive and evil the BT's where. Basically they had the reporter lady standing at an indoor range some place in L.A. yammering on about the destructive power etc. Then the comparison is made between FMJs and BTs; first she holds up a target shot by FMJs a bunch of standard ragged holes punched through. Then the one shot by the BT is held up and it has a perfect and I do mean PERFECT coffee cup sized circle cut out of the center. I think that was the moment I truly knew the media was so full of it, their eyes were brown!

Eyesac
April 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
This just made my day.

HighExpert
April 18, 2013, 02:47 PM
If they are worried about 20+ year old ammo, what is next? Do we need to ban the Corvair as well? For the love of.... How can we survive with all these evils around us?

Shanghai McCoy
April 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sometimes I am truly amazed at the stupidity I see on a daily basis.
I'm not..;)

I remember when the BT's were being demonized back in the 90's and then they were discontinued. Lo and behold, gun show sales of BT's were priced higher than gold at the time. Sound familiar..?:scrutiny:

Zoogster
April 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
I know we all get a laugh from this.

However I had to think of it from various angles. Perhaps they are trying to establish precedent in banning ammo, and chose a round that people viewed as bad but which would not result in any legal challenges?

It would likely sit on the books for years unchallenged because nobody with money is going to care enough to take it to court because it is ammo that has not been produced in 20 years and is similar or lesser in performance than many modern rounds police and citizens have been using for years.

mrvco
April 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
Prices are skyrocketing on Gunbroker for Black Talons :p

Complete set, Buy it now for $1,000...

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/337460000/337460887/pix438719100.jpg

mgkdrgn
April 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
They are no longer black in color, and now bear the name Ranger Talon SXT. Much safer ;)
SXT = Same eXact Thing

mgkdrgn
April 18, 2013, 03:25 PM
Prices are skyrocketing on Gunbroker for Black Talons :p

Oh man, you said it!

I just sold some from an old retired FFL on consignment, and man was he one happy camper when it was over!

Twmaster
April 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Heh. I'm glad I do not live in SanFran. I carry BT's in my 1911! :D

smalls
April 18, 2013, 06:52 PM
However I had to think of it from various angles. Perhaps they are trying to establish precedent in banning ammo, and chose a round that people viewed as bad but which would not result in any legal challenges?

My thoughts exactly. We laugh about it now, but this could come and bite us in the ass later.

But... it is really funny how stupid they are. I'm sure they're raising glasses to the fact they finally got those "evil cop killing" off the streets for good!

r1derbike
April 18, 2013, 07:07 PM
Hey! Don't be tryin' to ban my electronic Pong game! That's leftist extremism!

mrvco
April 18, 2013, 07:12 PM
SanFran's "Children Saved or Created Meter" must be off the charts now :neener:

jdooner
April 18, 2013, 07:19 PM
Hey..leave Corvairs alone!

vtail
April 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
Ah yes, banning stuff that is no longer available. Its just common sense, right?
Ban dinosaurs!!

They're dangerous.

Texan Scott
April 18, 2013, 07:37 PM
"rainbow spreader"

:convulsive fit of laughter:
guess winnie's gonna have to stop making black talons...
:wheezing, strangled barking noises, pointing weakly, hypoxia-inducing laughter:

stubbicatt
April 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Didn't they stop making black talons several years ago?

tarosean
April 18, 2013, 07:52 PM
Didn't they stop making black talons several years ago?

If you consider around 20 several?

Look at the bright side though. Least all those ads finally won't be lying...

Twmaster
April 18, 2013, 07:53 PM
Pulled in 1993....

19-3Ben
April 18, 2013, 08:16 PM
Wow! They aught to expand that program and ban other things -- the Atari 2600, "New Coke," Yugos -- and other stuff that hasn't been made in 20 years!

Oh man. My wife just came in from the other room to see why I'm laughing.
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you. I needed that. I've had a really rough day.

Edit to add:
How about banning those snap bracelets. I hear those are really hot right now, and terribly dangerous.

Reloadron
April 18, 2013, 08:27 PM
The evil bullets:
http://www.bearblain.com/images/Black%20Talon%201.png

Let's see, had that box about 22 years and Winchester quit making them about what? Maybe 20 or so years ago? However, considering San Francisco I can understand this. The place has been run by idiots for well over 20 years and they just have yet to catch up.

<EDIT> I had to add the comment my wife just made. This is a good thing because while stupidity works for them it keeps them amused leaving less time for them to screw with other things. </EDIT> :)

Ron

Elkins45
April 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
I still have a box of 45acp and 357 black talons. I guess I should take them to the next gun show. Maybe I can swap them for a EBR.....chris3
There's a guy who frequents the gun show circuit here in KY that has some boxes of BT that he's asking some outrageous price for because they are such awesome man killers. I can't remember the exact insane price but he's been carting them around so long the black boxes are worn to a light gray.

Wonder if he finally sold them during the great ammo drought? I haven't been to a gun show since before Sandy Hook so I don't now how much of the perennially displayed junk finally found a noob to buy it.

Justin
April 18, 2013, 08:31 PM
Like every other piece of idiotic legislation, this one's probably been kicking around in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet since the early 1990s.

Coop45
April 18, 2013, 08:34 PM
A couple of fellers from San Francisco who must be trying to sober up the folks there about, arrived at the airport with 200 pounds of loco weed. The local police didn't understand they were on a mercy mission and put'em in jail with criminals. LOL!!

Ms_Dragon
April 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
@ Texas Scott!

Dude, just stop!
You're killing me here!

Seriously funny........for a Texan! j/k.

Coop45
April 18, 2013, 08:44 PM
I have an old box of 180 grain Black Talon and a 340PD if anyone wants to put a few down range.

firesky101
April 18, 2013, 08:46 PM
Ahhh makes me want to get some rangers and paint them black:neener:

jbrown50
April 18, 2013, 09:48 PM
An old box of 9mm Black Talons has been hiding out in my safe for several years now. I wonder if I could get a reward for 'em if I turned 'em in......:rolleyes:

4v50 Gary
April 18, 2013, 10:23 PM
The shooting of a law office at 101 California St. in San Francisco resulted in an out-of-court settlement whereby Winchester agreed not to sell Black Talon to the public. That's well over fifteen years ago.

So, if San Francisco's stupidvisors decide to outlaw Black Talon, they have two challenges they are facing. First, besides law enforcement sales, does anyone sell the stuff in San Francisco? Second, is the ONE gun dealer in San Francisco even selling pistol ammunition? If the answer is no to both questions, then it's the typical "feel good" legislation that SF Bored of Supervisors do to curry favors with the Dem Central Committtee there.

788Ham
April 18, 2013, 10:37 PM
Somethings not kosher here: Post # 12 says, "The craze hit in '94".... Post # 48 says, "They were pulled in '93."...... where'd they all go if some folks still have them? Ha SF never has been on a level field, about 1/2 bubble off plumb, since the smokey Hippie daze.

Bruno2
April 18, 2013, 10:48 PM
I think I still have a box of 9mm from 20 yrs ago. The Rangers looked to be the same. I have a couple of boxes and they are still black.

jerkface11
April 18, 2013, 11:39 PM
Rangers have more petals than black talons did. And I'm pretty sure the internal jacket design is different.

barnbwt
April 18, 2013, 11:56 PM
"then it's the typical "feel good" legislation"
Does legislation this blatantly pointless even accomplish that much? I'll bet it's just a distraction from budget woes completely unrelated to a new Arts center, or something :rolleys:

TCB

Guy B. Meredith
April 19, 2013, 04:35 AM

TheSaint
April 19, 2013, 04:40 AM
They better go house to house and make sure none of these tools of the devil are available any longer! [/sarcasm]

BigBore44
April 19, 2013, 06:10 AM
The Dems will view this as a "victory", and "just a step in the right direction". Only took 20 years for that step. Wonder how many millions it cost that failing state to propose and pass this. Probably could have saved several thousand kids lives with after school programs with all that money.

Carl N. Brown
April 19, 2013, 07:49 AM
San Francisco to ban "Black Talon" a brand off the market since the 1990s (and a not especially different bullet despite the name). San Francisco is the epicenter of a wormhole defect in the space-time continuum, a Lovecraftian place were all time is contemporaneous, past and future are one with the present.

Again, a lot of the propaganda on the Black Talon had to do with advocacy journalists promoting gun control by misrepresenting a forensic article in which a recovered Black Talon was illustrated and use of chain mail mesh gloves were recommended when examining such wounds; however, the article itself recommended chain mail mesh gloves for examining all wounds involving jacketed bullets, broken off knife blades, broken glass, shattered bones -- sharp edged effects. The black talon photo was, as I recall, an example of a mushroomed jacketed bullet.

TRX
April 19, 2013, 09:57 AM
Back in the first go-round in the '90s, in the old rec.guns newsgroup, I suggested they simply rename them "Happy Green Fun Bullets!"

Constrictor
April 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
I have a couple hundred boxes of these. looks like its time to auction them off.

rallyhound
April 19, 2013, 12:31 PM
I've got a box of 357 talon flesh eating macro life destroying exploding rounds.

I'd gladely donate to a San Fran resident if they'd agree to walk around the city randomly dropping them for the police to find.

The news stories would keep us entertained for a month.

Kiln
April 19, 2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah they're a little late to that party. They're living so far in the past that they don't know that the majority of people now understand that most of the mislead politicians at that time were totally ignorant about guns, ammo, and the way both work.

Shadow 7D
April 19, 2013, 04:28 PM
I'm trying VERY HARD not to laugh
and reminded why I WILL NEVER return to Cali,

MikeS.
April 20, 2013, 04:01 AM
I still have 3 boxes of BT in 10mm.

Aaron1100us
April 20, 2013, 05:25 AM
Friend of mine gavee a box of
.40 last year. Will keep them around just to look at. The black bullets are odd looking and I like odd things :)

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Fred_G
April 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
Funny stuff. Must be some mythical bullets, I wish I could find a box of ammo for $9.99 ;)

Robbins290
April 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
The rainbow spreader can have random color confetti mixed in with the powder. Each shot is a different color

CB900F
April 21, 2013, 11:04 AM
Fella's;

It's my understanding the the Black Talons are collectable these days. If I had any, I think I'd take 'em to the gun show & at least get a value on them, instead of shooting them. Which is not to say that they're worth the sun, the moon, and half the earth, but it might be a nice little investment that you hadn't known you made.

900F

GEM
April 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
Well, it's about time someone banned them. The last time I saw the issue raised was a dude selling them at the gun show with a sign:

Banned by the USA and UN. Get them now!

As far as it being a blast from the past - a prominent preacher type just denounced Dungeons and Dragons as a current cause of violence. A little out of touch.

Shanghai McCoy
April 21, 2013, 10:11 PM
I found a 9mm BT shell in some lose ammo that I had. It has been properly disposed of down range to avoid any risk to to the folks in Frisco.:p

Fred_G
April 21, 2013, 10:13 PM
OMG, you just restarted global warming!:what:

I hope you are happy unleashing such terror on the world. :)

josiewales
April 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Wow! Banning something black?? RASCIST!!! :)

Deltaboy
April 21, 2013, 11:13 PM
Dad still got some Black talons in 357 mag. GREAT AMMO.

PlaneJain
April 21, 2013, 11:18 PM
Hypocrit liberal racists!

Shanghai McCoy
April 22, 2013, 07:37 AM
OMG, you just restarted global warming!:what:

I hope you are happy unleashing such terror on the world. :)
Good...;)
And Yes...:)

19-3Ben
April 22, 2013, 09:37 AM
Dad still got some Black talons in 357 mag. GREAT AMMO.

By 1990's standards, yes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Talons Banned!! Breaking news!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!