front sight question about a smith 686

PDA

greyling22
April 18, 2013, 10:53 PM
what is going on with this front sight? I have never seen a sight like that before. is it an aftermarket replacement for a 686 that had the front sight integrated into the barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "front sight question about a smith 686" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wgf
April 19, 2013, 12:10 AM
It is a factory target sight. Turn the horizontal wheel to select one of four front sight heights. Use an Allen wrench to adjust the individual settings for different bullet weights or speeds.

greyling22
April 19, 2013, 01:21 AM
oh, well that's cute I guess. Never seen anything like it before. thanks!

9mmepiphany
April 19, 2013, 02:13 AM
It was introduced by S&W to compete with the Python in PPC Distinguished Matches.

Distinguished matched did not allow a bull barrel and the M19 had a hard time keeping up with the Python with it's underluged barrel

S&W offered the adjustable front sight as an unfair advantage. The four clicks of the wheel are for the shooter to set their sights at 7,10,25 and 50 yards to hit the X-zone. Many shooters used a neck/head hold at 50 yards for more accurate sight picture...and set that adjustment for that amount of drop

StrawHat
April 19, 2013, 06:58 PM
...S&W offered the adjustable front sight as an unfair advantage...

If it is with-in the scope of the rule books, it is hard to claim it is an unfair advantage. S&W also used a different rifling twist in their 357 revolvers. Some claim it is more accurate with 38 Special ammunition, specifically 148 gr WC ammo. When I shot PPC, S&W ruled the trophy case.

If you enjoyed reading about "front sight question about a smith 686" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!