Dremel question for polising slide

PDA

TennJed
April 19, 2013, 12:18 PM
Ok I am new to dremels but not guns. I have several stainless revolvers and semi autos that I have polished with a rag and mothers mag over the years. I have seen all the post about DO NOT POLISH GUNS WITH A DREMEL. YOU WILL RUIN THE GUN, ect.

My question is, are there soft tip tools for your dremel that you can use with something like mothers mag? Looking at dremels in the store and there seems to be some softer tips, almost like cloth. I was just wondering if this would accomplish the same thing as a rag and polish, only quicker

If you enjoyed reading about "Dremel question for polising slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve H
April 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
Yes those items are available for a Dremel but IMHO I would not use them. They are too small and would possibly give you very inconsistent results. If you are new to the polishing process I suggest you use a soft cloth and polish ( I use Flitz) and practice on an item that you don't care about.

rcmodel
April 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
Don't.

You will end up with swirl marks all out of keeping with the desired end result.

You could use a low speed 1,800 RPM buffer with a 8" loose cotton wheel and get good results.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/new-bench-buffer-polisher-grinder-buffing-polishing-machine/210899402.html?listingId=43395647

http://www.pjtool.com/buffingwheels.htm

But you will not get good results with a high-speed Dremel running 20,000 - 30,000 RPM.

Even the little soft cotton Dremel wheels become rock hard when spinning that fast.

rc

TennJed
April 19, 2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I will stick to my old elbow method I have been using

788Ham
April 20, 2013, 12:05 AM
That'll work best.... and after a bit you'll begin to hearin' a slight "clickin'" sound, don't worry about that either, its your elbow joint goin' in the fritz! :evil:

45_auto
April 20, 2013, 08:22 AM
I have seen all the post about DO NOT POLISH GUNS WITH A DREMEL. YOU WILL RUIN THE GUN, ect.

I personally believe that you're special and all those warnings don't apply to you.

Drail
April 20, 2013, 11:13 AM
I have done some gun polishing over the years and I have never used any type of powered buffing wheel or tool. I use nothing but fine grades of wet or dry sandpaper wrapped around flat or round pieces of wood. Start with 400 grit and work up to 1500 grit if you really want a mirror finish. If you want a nice smooth finish without rounding off corners use paper. There are guys who can properly polish a gun on a wheel but it takes years to learn how to do it without messing up the lines of the gun. S&W used to make you an apprentice to a Master polisher for 3 years before you were allowed to touch a production gun to a wheel. Go to a store that sells auto body supplies. They have what you need. Dremels and wheels will do a lot of damage if you don't know how to use them. There is no fast easy way to polish steel. It is work and it takes time.

rcmodel
April 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
I agree.

However, the OP ask about using Flitz.

And you can't get in trouble using Flitz on a loose cotton buffing wheel run at 1,800 RPM for polishing, not buffing.

rc

twofifty
April 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
Drail: Whadda you mean "There is no fast easy way to polish steel. It is work and it takes time."
That statement is un-American. ;)

TennJed
April 20, 2013, 06:01 PM
I personally believe that you're special and all those warnings don't apply to you.

Thanks, I think your special too. But like I said in my OP this is a little different question that any others I have read about Dremels. I was specifically asking about soft cloth wheels and fritz/mothers mag. Thanks RC and others for your helpful responses.

Drail
April 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
Touche, twofifty.

1911Tuner
April 21, 2013, 07:29 PM
If you want to keep flats flat...a Dremel isn't the way to go.

Use progressively finer grits of sandpaper flat on a piece of glass. Polish the round top via the Chattanooga Shoe Shine method first...then use the glass and paper to reestablish the straight lines where they meet.

HankB
April 21, 2013, 08:34 PM
A Dremel is unsuitable for polishing large surfaces - but it DOES work very well for polishing a feed ramp, with proper bits, meaning either a Cratex-type abrasive bit or (better) a felt wheel or cylinder charged with a mild abrasive like Simichrome.

Cratex bits can remove more metal than needed if you're not careful . . . I'd reserve them for really rough feed ramps or perhaps breaking a few sharp edges, like the trailing edge of the lugs on a revolver's extractor star . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "Dremel question for polising slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!