ARs prices are dropping like crazy

PDA

nathan
April 19, 2013, 06:44 PM
at gunbroker, in fact, many are not selling even at normal prices. Very weird indeed. It seems people are not interested no more , rather they re more glued watching the Boston bombing coverage. Besides the 5.56 ammo is gonna cost quite a bit of chunk if you get an AR today. People are smart !

If you enjoyed reading about "ARs prices are dropping like crazy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheSaint
April 19, 2013, 06:51 PM
Excellent point you've made. There are guns going there for that are NIB for $1000-1300 that aren't being bid on at all, whereas it was impossible to snag these models at all in the last couple of weeks without paying even more inflated prices. If you don't absolutely need one right now, I say hold off and let prices drop even more.

nathan
April 19, 2013, 07:06 PM
The panic went on for only a month or so and it stop right there. With the recent Senate winning over , we hope it will correct the market imbalance. SO far it hasnt really sinked in yet.

tomrkba
April 19, 2013, 07:17 PM
$785 for a Core15 at the LGS in Herndon, VA the other day.

Others are becoming available. I'm holding out for a Colt 901 :)

TheSaint
April 19, 2013, 07:28 PM
There's 4 (count 'em four!) Ar-15's in stock at my local gun store. Three Windham's and one DPMS. The DPMS is going for $950 and the Windham's are going for $1200.

NYH1
April 19, 2013, 07:33 PM
I wish 223/5.56 ammo prices would drop and become available so we can use our AR15's. Got em setup the way we wanted and then Sandy Hook and obama happened. Maybe we'll get lucky tomorrow at the Syracuse Gun Show and we can find some ammo at a reasonable price. Usually prices are inflated at the gun. . . . .show so we're not holding our breath on it.

Sorry for the rant! :eek:

NYH1.

beeenbag
April 19, 2013, 07:41 PM
One of my LGS has two brand new bushmasters in stock. I didn't get a price on either rifle but the fact that they have them is very encouraging.

OilyPablo
April 19, 2013, 07:50 PM
I still want a Sig M400 for some reason.

Whacked
April 19, 2013, 07:51 PM
My LGS has quite a few AR's and a couple mini14's. Didnt count or pay much attention to them as i'm not in the market for one but I would guess they had 6-8 of them.
They also have a couple lowers and a Franklin Armory CSW kit.

The consignment rack is pretty bare.

Few hundred rounds of .223 and 5.56 and some 5.56 on clips. All are pretty pricey tho at $20+/box

GCMkc
April 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
Makes sense.

-Panic buying increased the price.
-People bought like crazy at outrageous prices.
-Panic dies down and people are selling for less than what they paid.
-Manufacturers up production 24/7/365 to pump out more guns.
-No one wants to buy an AR because they already have one.
-Now manufacturers can't sell them because everyone has one so they have to lower their prices to gain attention again.

straightShot
April 19, 2013, 08:35 PM
Prices should be dropping. The idiots who were willing to pay way more than they should have are probably out of money by now...

bluekouki86
April 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE]I still want a Sig M400 for some reason./QUOTE]

You won't regret that purchase. I bought the enhanced m400 days after sandy hook (knew what was coming) and have never looked back. It is a fantastic AR platform with many features not found on most AR rifles.

WardenWolf
April 19, 2013, 09:32 PM
I do hereby resolve to NEVER buy anything else from Cheaper than Dirt again if I can possibly help it. I'm on their mailing list and just this morning, I received an email from them with this subject:

Buy Your AR-15 Before Lawmakers Outlaw Them!

They are feeding and trying to extend the panic even though it's effectively over. For that, they've lost me as a customer, even though I rarely shop there because their prices are usually high.

4v50 Gary
April 19, 2013, 09:38 PM
Panic has passed. Demand is down and prices follow OR we had peak guns/ammo.

TheSaint
April 19, 2013, 09:38 PM
I refuse to shop with CTD as well. I used to do business with them, but the outrageous prices they were charging instead of instituting limits on purchases so everyone can have a chance to purchase something in these times of panics is unacceptable.

I strongly believe that GOOD gun outlets MUST acknowledge that gun ownership is a right and the citizens that own and operate those businesses as much as possible should make every effort to make sure the maximum number of people have access to that right. We should support businesses like Midway, Walmart and others who have kept their pricing somewhat normal and instituted quantity limits so that everyone has a chance at exercising their rights.

beeenbag
April 19, 2013, 09:49 PM
We should support businesses like Midway, Walmart and others who have kept their pricing somewhat normal and instituted quantity limits so that everyone has a chance at exercising their rights.

I agree, but I would have never thought wally world would be in the same sentence as Midwayusa. Wally world did do the right thing with the pricing, I didn't like it when they said they were gonna pull all of the Modern sporting rifles from their shelves.

RetiredUSNChief
April 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Good news for me.

Personally, I've never been a fan of AR's. Just not my bag...don't like the looks of nearly any of them. A personal bias, not based on any performance issues to be sure.

My wife, however, has recently expressed a strong desire for one.

Why?

Not because she wants to go hunting or target shooting with one. Not because she particularly likes the rifles. Not because she wants one for home defense.

Nope. Not any of those reasons at all.

So why does she want one?

Because she has a problem with authority, bless her heart. She wants one because there are elements in our government who are telling her she CAN'T have one.

If there's one thing that will get her dander up it's either someone telling her she CAN'T do something or that she HAS to do something.

'Course, she told me she wanted one at the height of the price hikes, so buying one just then was totally out to lunch. Now that the prices are coming down, though, I'll be keeping an eye out for something just for her.

When the market is ripe, I expect I'll be asking some questions on this site about them, so bear with me when I do.

;)

TheSaint
April 19, 2013, 09:57 PM
I don't like that they pulled the modern sporting rifles either, but we can petition them to get them back. Keep in mind, Walmart is the primary gun shop for many people that don't have access to many LGS's or out-of-stock issues online. Overall, Wally's has been fairly pro second-amendment, and it is very important to the access of all that they get back on the right track regarding modern sporting rifles.

vamo
April 19, 2013, 10:24 PM
When did walmart stop selling ars? I was under the impression they only stop selling the specific model used in newton. I've seen some 22lr ar-15s there since, but I assumed the panickers just cleaned out the 223/5.56s

beeenbag
April 19, 2013, 10:28 PM
I don't like that they pulled the modern sporting rifles either, but we can petition them to get them back. Keep in mind, Walmart is the primary gun shop for many people that don't have access to many LGS's or out-of-stock issues online. Overall, Wally's has been fairly pro second-amendment, and it is very important to the access of all that they get back on the right track regarding modern sporting rifles.
My wally world already has them back on the shelves, it may be a store to store decision. I just didn't like the announcement that corporate made when this all started.

PlaneJain
April 19, 2013, 10:29 PM
I still want a Sig M400 for some reason.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/sig-sauer-m-400-enhanced-rm400-16b-ec-sigm400-enhanced-1099

morcey2
April 19, 2013, 10:33 PM
Now hopefully I'll be able to find a complete upper and actually have something to shoot.

Matt

UnderTheGun
April 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
Hopefully ammo will be next in line for decent pricing. Glad I increased my supply last September but still would like more when pricing is good.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

TheSaint
April 19, 2013, 10:41 PM
My local Walmart only sells pellet and bb guns in CA. They haven't sold any guns in a long time, well before Sandy Hook and other recent madness. Perhaps that's just a store manager call?

orionengnr
April 19, 2013, 10:46 PM
I bought my most recent AR in 1987. I find it amusing how AR prices have moved since then....almost entirely on speculation.

I remember going to gun shows and seeing guys with crates of SKSs for $69 each. I never bought one, but then again, I never bought any Microsoft stock, either. :rolleyes:

April 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
at gunbroker, in fact, many are not selling even at normal prices. Very weird indeed. It seems people are not interested no more , rather they re more glued watching the Boston bombing coverage. Besides the 5.56 ammo is gonna cost quite a bit of chunk if you get an AR today. People are smart !
People are not smart. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a panic in the first place.
Moreover, there can't be an indefinite panic demand for the ARs. The pocketbooks are not bottomless.

armedandsafe
April 19, 2013, 11:20 PM
I don't really care for the AR platform. That said, I picked up a Mossberg 715T today at Big-5 for $302 out the door. It is .22LR with a 10 round magazine, but that is OK in my mind.

Pops

morcey2
April 19, 2013, 11:27 PM
...but then again, I never bought any Microsoft stock, either. :rolleyes:
Is the Microsoft stock a fixed or adjustable? If it's adjustable, does it rattle like some of the others?

:neener:

(I'm a software engineer and I hate microsoft.)

Matt

morcey2
April 20, 2013, 12:04 AM
I've been calling it. Same thing's gwin happen wit ammo.
... which is why the ammo manufacturers did the right thing by not investing in new manufacturing capability based on a most-likely short-term panic.

Matt

JVaughn
April 20, 2013, 12:34 AM
Wait, are you guys confusing Walmart and Dick's sporting goods? Walmart oly said they were committed to the responsible sale of firearms, dicks pulled the AR's. I am pretty sure Walmart never did. Someone back me up or have other info?

Grassman
April 20, 2013, 12:38 AM
Maybe I can finally find my 300 Blackout upper.:rolleyes:

TheSaint
April 20, 2013, 12:40 AM
I know about Dick's move against AR's, can't speak to any Walmart policy on restricting the rifles. I've since boycotted Dicks and spread the word on them. Perhaps the other posters can provide some light on Walmart's policies regarding AR's? Is it a national thing, regional, or even store choice to sell them?

Grassman
April 20, 2013, 12:40 AM
Wait, are you guys confusing Walmart and Dick's sporting goods? Walmart oly said they were committed to the responsible sale of firearms, dicks pulled the AR's. I am pretty sure Walmart never did. Someone back me up or have other info?
You are correct sir. No need to bash Walmart on the gun issue. Their meat department, separate issue.

Grassman
April 20, 2013, 12:42 AM
I know about Dick's move against AR's, can't speak to any Walmart policy on restricting the rifles. I've since boycotted Dicks and spread the word on them. Perhaps the other posters can provide some light on Walmart's policies regarding AR's? Is it a national thing, regional, or even store choice to sell them?
You can find any number of AR's at Walmart, provided you get there at 4 AM. Just like all the rest.

TheSaint
April 20, 2013, 12:50 AM
Interesting. At the Walmart I visited in CA, they don't sell any firearms, AR or not. Come to think of it, that would make a good question to ask of the store manager next time I'm in there.

gspn
April 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
That is impossible...you must be mistaken. After all...plenty of people loudly assured us that prices would NEVER come back down. They assured us that basic economic principles didn't apply here...that prices on these guns would only go up forever. Yes...you must have it all wrong.:D

They were probably the same folks that also said gold would keep going up in price forever...oh what a funny call that turned out to be.

MrCleanOK
April 20, 2013, 01:04 AM
The Saint,

Walmart doesn't sell firearms at all of their stores. It's expensive for them to maintain an FFL for each store that sells firearms, so they carefully select which locations can be profitable selling firearms at Walmart's "always" low prices. If a town has two stores, one may sell firearms while the other doesn't. If you have a store near you that does sell firearms, but they don't have the one you want, ask to see the catalog and what you want it is in the book, they can order it for you from a different store or from their warehouse.

nelsonal
April 20, 2013, 01:08 AM
Hit the nation's Gun Show, today. We were early (they opened the doors well before the stated opening time. Lines were long for the reloading tables and cheap ammo guys. But the black rifles didn't seem to have much interest. I was surprised that on the first day a pile of M&P 15s that were selling at $1,700 last show (Jan) were marked down to $1,300. The only vender that didn't appear to have normal stock was the CZ vender (who normally has the entire CZ product line but had a few conspicuous items missing, P-01 and 85).

TheSaint
April 20, 2013, 01:12 AM
MrClean, thank you very much for the valuable advice.

My local Walmart is the ONLY Walmart for over 60 miles around. I live in a fairly rural area of California, so going to another Walmart involves a long drive that may negate any cost savings of driving all around. What you said does make sense regarding FFL in general, but the area I live in is fairly conservative/pro gun compared to most parts of CA, which from strictly a business choice that seems odd to me.

Any other THR'ers from CA? Do any Walmart locations in this state sell AR's? I've seen others that sell guns, but they were limited to bolt-action rifles and shotguns.

Zoogster
April 20, 2013, 01:48 AM
TheSaint said: Interesting. At the Walmart I visited in CA, they don't sell any firearms, AR or not.

Walmarts in CA do not sell firearms. They had some problems a decade ago with the state for violations and the result is they stopped selling entirely.
They paid a few million dollar fine, and temporarily suspended sales pending training of employees.
A decade later they still have not resumed sales.

AlexanderA
April 20, 2013, 01:51 AM
Hit the Nation's Gun Show, today.

I was there, too, and I agree with the assessment. Prices of AR's and 30-round magazines seem to be slowly coming down, and there was plenty of availability. The ammo supply was still spotty.

Ignition Override
April 20, 2013, 02:00 AM
Over a week ago a pawn shop in West Point MS on Hwy 45 had at least four AR rifles in .223. The guns seen on Friday were still waiting on Monday.
They also had an AK-74 (5.45x39-IF the correct barrel is attached...not a 5.56) listed at $800.

Add to that the observation that the Memphis gun show had at least five ARs in .223 and it was very clear.

The only question for people who never planned ahead is when ammo will follow the ARs on an increasingly steeper downhill slide.
Though many of us planned ahead, watching the vast numbers of sellers sweat will be Schadenfreude.:)

jjadurbin
April 20, 2013, 02:04 AM
Good news for me.

Personally, I've never been a fan of AR's. Just not my bag...don't like the looks of nearly any of them. A personal bias, not based on any performance issues to be sure.

My wife, however, has recently expressed a strong desire for one.

Why?

Not because she wants to go hunting or target shooting with one. Not because she particularly likes the rifles. Not because she wants one for home defense.

Nope. Not any of those reasons at all.

So why does she want one?

Because she has a problem with authority, bless her heart. She wants one because there are elements in our government who are telling her she CAN'T have one.

If there's one thing that will get her dander up it's either someone telling her she CAN'T do something or that she HAS to do something.

'Course, she told me she wanted one at the height of the price hikes, so buying one just then was totally out to lunch. Now that the prices are coming down, though, I'll be keeping an eye out for something just for her.

When the market is ripe, I expect I'll be asking some questions on this site about them, so bear with me when I do.

;)
Chief, your wife sounds like one great lady, that attitude doesn't get more REAL American.

I hate to say how rare that is becoming.

breakingcontact
April 20, 2013, 03:01 AM
At the local gun show, I noticed AR prices were about back to normal, with some good deals on higher end models. Colts were still high. Also, unacceptably high for me, were AKs. Romanian WASRs for $900? Say what?

RetiredUSNChief
April 20, 2013, 08:05 AM
Chief, your wife sounds like one great lady, that attitude doesn't get more REAL American.

I hate to say how rare that is becoming.

Oh, she's a rare find, that's for sure! I count her among my blessings.

She's a real personal challenge to deal with across a wide spectrum of issues, too, let me tell you. Like when we were living in base housing when I had shore duty...not only did her feathers get ruffled about some of the rules (because, you know...it's the military and there are rules which have to be followed), but she went totally ballistic when base security tightened up right after 9/11 and she had to show her ID just to get into base housing on the way home.

Heck, it was years before I could get her to wear a seatbelt when she drove, because she rebelled against seatbelt laws.

:banghead:

Bless her stubborn, red-headed, Irish heart.

:neener:

308win
April 20, 2013, 08:25 AM
Colt branded 30 round magazines are advertised at $19.95 at Vances in Columbus with a limit of 5; have been for a few weeks. They also have some brands of ARs at what seem like reasonable prices. I haven't priced ammunition nor shopped for reloading components for a long time. I wouldn't expect the Obama regime to allow any policies on ammunition imports or surplus stocks that will help firearms owners - just the opposite. Once ammunition stocks are replenished by the DOD (if necessary) the prices should come down if the market isn't manipulated or affected by government anti-firearms policies.

jolly roger
April 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
I rebel against most regs meself being an Irish madman...but I will wear a seat belt...getting ejected out a vehicle in a wreck will do that to ya...and I learned early on too not to ride with crazy people... :)

FROGO207
April 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
I am waiting for the ammo dealers to give away AR's with 30+ round MAG's to assure we keep buying lots of ammo in the future.:D

Agsalaska
April 20, 2013, 09:23 AM
I refuse to shop with CTD as well. I used to do business with them, but the outrageous prices they were charging instead of instituting limits on purchases so everyone can have a chance to purchase something in these times of panics is unacceptable.

I strongly believe that GOOD gun outlets MUST acknowledge that gun ownership is a right and the citizens that own and operate those businesses as much as possible should make every effort to make sure the maximum number of people have access to that right. We should support businesses like Midway, Walmart and others who have kept their pricing somewhat normal and instituted quantity limits so that everyone has a chance at exercising their rights.
Can you explain that first paragraph to me? Maybe it is different where you live, but in Texas all the companies that instituted the low price rationing had the inventory wiped put the second it came off of the truck. I wuld not consider that 'giving everyone a chance to buy.' whereas shops that raised their prices were able to still sell thru their inventory but just in time to receive the next shipment. That IMHO, is giving everyone a chance to buy.

I'm not trying to defend CTD. They had some real problems. And they also were marked up far beyond mostof their competitors. But one fundamental to retail turns is to sell your last item the moment you receive your next shipment. That's a pretty common rule in retail and what min max systems are based on.

alsaqr
April 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
Good.

In a year or two the market will be flush with used AR-15 rifles. Bought two AR-15s early last year from a guy coming out of a pawnshop. The pawnbroker had offered him $750 for a Stag Arms AR-15 and an 1960s Colt that was barely used. Gave the guy $900for both and sold the Stag Arms gun for $600.

nathan
April 20, 2013, 01:27 PM
They are dropping in prices as ammo prices are increasing like theres no tomorrow. WHo would be willing to pay $1 a round of 5.56 but only a few out there.

alienbogey
April 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
I've never been an AR fan either, I'm perfectly happy with my Mini-14, and I didn't rush to buy one before what may have become another ban.

However, now I'm considering getting one, once prices are back to normal, just to CELEBRATE the ban that didn't happen, and to piss of anyone who thinks I shouldn't have one.

;)

nathan
April 20, 2013, 07:25 PM
Me , too, im looking on a rock rive arms midlength .

hso
April 20, 2013, 07:34 PM
Walmart has been selling AR platforms as they got them all along in TN.

Fishbed77
April 21, 2013, 12:13 AM
I do hereby resolve to NEVER buy anything else from Cheaper than Dirt again if I can possibly help it. I'm on their mailing list and just this morning, I received an email from them with this subject:

Quote:
Buy Your AR-15 Before Lawmakers Outlaw Them!

They are feeding and trying to extend the panic even though it's effectively over. For that, they've lost me as a customer, even though I rarely shop there because their prices are usually high.

You have resolved to do what I chose to do a few months ago. CTD will never receive another dime from me again.

What an appallingly greedy and deceitful company.

foxs
April 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
Yes they are dropping in price like crazy around here. Looked at a windham month ago 1299.99 and the same model is now 899.99. I think i will wait even longer.

mljdeckard
April 22, 2013, 09:16 AM
CTD never left my poop list since 2009. Of course they are free to charge whatever they want to. And I am free to choose to not do business with them.

This is the thing about gouging. You can do it if you want to, but the trick is to get out before the bubble pops. I said at the beginning of January that demand had peaked, and they all should have known that it would fall like a rock as soon as the senate killed new gun laws. Live by gouging, die by gouging.

Stargazer65
April 22, 2013, 09:34 AM
I noticed that the Mini-14 price dropped 100 dollars here in CT in the past week. They can't sell ARs any more here of course, except .22 AR's (you can get any EBR you want as long as it's rimfire). I'm waiting for someone to start complaining about the rimfire AR loophole after a while. Also Stag Arms has mentioned that they are looking to roll out a CT compliant AR prototype in the next couple months, that should spin up some anti-gunners.:p I've never been that interested in an AR, but I might get something just because it's frowned on by the government.:neener:

jrdolall
April 22, 2013, 10:35 AM
I have seen ARs all along at my local Walmart but they generally sold quickly. Last week they had one that was there fro at least 3 days but it could be because they have no ammo for sale. LGS in the are also have had plenty of aRs reccently and they are not blowing off the shelves but, like WM, there is no ammo available unless you want to pay $1 a round.
Amazing how this thread turned into a CTD bash. I am not really sure I understand this as it is simply a matter of not buying from them if their price is too high. I have received multiple emails from them with exorbitant prices and I simply ignore them. In the past, pre-panic, I have used them on multiple occasions with excellent results and I see no reason not to do so in the future as long as they offer a price that is in line with or better than their competition.

If I were desprerate for some type of ammo, as in I was out and absolutely had to have some, then I would check them out. The companies that have really good prices on items they don't have in stock are really great companies. Except for the fact that they don't have anything in stock. I fail to see how a company can be considered "Bad" for having high prices with availability but another company can be considered "good" because they have good prices but no product to sell. It's only price gouging if they force you to buy something you have to have.

I wonder how many of the CTD haters would place orders if the next email or flyer had .22 bricks for $20 or so? My gut feeling is that there would be a lot of haters secretly hitting their website to place orders.

Bruno2
April 22, 2013, 10:40 AM
I didn't think about that. I guess we will be seeing the return of the "sporter" rifles since we have a couple of new AWB states. Do any of you guys remember the MAK 90's and other assorted post ban EBR's that we saw after the AWB in 94? All the gun manufacturers started building rifles that would by pass the ban. That was one of the reasons the new AWB proposal was so stringent. They were trying to counter all of the future attempts to side step the new law.

9w1911
April 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
you guys should check out Armslist here in Nevada, no one has told these [provate sellers that ARs are going down LOL

CoRoMo
April 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Wow. Optics Ready M&P15s going below $900. The run on AR rifles is definitely over.

ngnrd
April 22, 2013, 06:25 PM
There are a bunch of folks out there who have found themselves on the back end of the speculation market and are still pricing their recently acquired inventory according to mid-panic peak prices. Even as demand is waning, they are holding to those prices to justify their investments. Of course, since there are less and less buyers at those prices, they will either have to hold on to that inventory longer, or they will have to give in to market forces and lower prices. The fact that new inventory is showing up in regular retail channels again should force price reductions sooner, rather than later.

TheSaint
April 22, 2013, 06:35 PM
Can you explain that first paragraph to me? Maybe it is different where you live, but in Texas all the companies that instituted the low price rationing had the inventory wiped put the second it came off of the truck. I wuld not consider that 'giving everyone a chance to buy.' whereas shops that raised their prices were able to still sell thru their inventory but just in time to receive the next shipment. That IMHO, is giving everyone a chance to buy.

I'm not trying to defend CTD. They had some real problems. And they also were marked up far beyond mostof their competitors. But one fundamental to retail turns is to sell your last item the moment you receive your next shipment. That's a pretty common rule in retail and what min max systems are based on.
I worked in retail as a store manager for many years. To me, yes, being efficient with your inventory is certainly a good idea. That being said, even in times of short inventory, I NEVER charged my customers 400% markups over their wholesale costs. CTD has tremendous sway over their wholesale pricing given their size. No other retailer so egreiously took advantage of their loyal customers by posting insultingly high prices on common items. That's not the point.

I have plenty of money in the bank, nice credit lines and so forth. I see firearms are a right. Those who deal in firearms should try to understand that such a right should be exercised by as many people as possible, not just make it a sport for those of us who have tons of cash or credit cards. It is a matter of principle. You can still make money and be principled. CTD chose to sell out for short-term profits at the expense of the average citizen. I will never do business with unprincipled people if I can at all avoid them.

12many
April 22, 2013, 07:32 PM
you guys should check out Armslist here in Nevada, no one has told these [provate sellers that ARs are going down LOL

Ya, I agree. Must still be a shortage in NV or no one is buying. My buddy was trying to buy a glock 19 or 17 (I think) and could not find any in town.

TheSaint
April 22, 2013, 07:39 PM
Armslist is very expensive in CA too. It seems that they are trying to cater to those newcomers to the sport that aren't aware of what a fair-market price is for any particular item. I've even seen that quite a bit on other sites, but Armslist is certainly among the most pricey.

vtail
April 22, 2013, 11:59 PM
Was in Walmart tonight. They have both an S&W M&P 15-22 and a Mossberg tactical 22 both in stock. Can't remember the pre-panic prices but they both looked about like normal pricing. No AR-15's yet. Ammo is still depleted. Black powder gone now too.

Kiln
April 23, 2013, 01:47 AM
If Democrats gain control of the house and retain the senate, be prepared to buy everything at inflated prices.

freebird
April 23, 2013, 12:51 PM
With the prices coming down I am considering purchasing my first AR. I have always been more into handguns so this may be a stupid question but do I need to have a 5.56 to shoot .223's or can a .223 shoot the 5.56 as well. Sorry for my ignorance here but want to leave my options open.

Also, I know you get what you pay for but what would be a good starter AR for my first go at it? I am looking at trying to stay in the $1,000 range give or take a few hundred.. I have seen some .223 Del-Ton's for $850 out the door and Bushmasters for $1250 to some really nice Colt's for.....uh, yeah:what: Any suggestions? Thanks!

mljdeckard
April 23, 2013, 12:56 PM
Remember that the only way they can TAKE the house is to admit more moderate, blue dog members. That is why they were unable to make any changes in 2009, the moderate dems stopped them.

April 23, 2013, 01:21 PM
Here ya go, from CDNN today.:evil:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/99c3876c30b42968d4190988b/images/Special423.jpg

DeathByCactus
April 23, 2013, 03:09 PM
That's a shame. I was about to sell mine at a ridiculous price to spite panic buyers... and so I can afford .357 mag ammo and reloading equipment.

freebird
April 23, 2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks! Looks like some good prices.

Now can I get one that is listed as a .223 and shoot 5.56 through it or does it have to be a 5.56 that I get to be able to shoot .223's? I see some listed as 5.56, some .223 and some 2.23/5.56. Did not know if all one and the same. I thought 5.56 would shoot both but not sure if 2.23 will shoot both.

anothernewb
April 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
I believe the 5.56 stamp on a barrel will shoot both, but a 223 stamp cannot.

taliv
April 23, 2013, 04:18 PM
i'm waiting. they'll keep dropping for a while yet

Bullz
April 23, 2013, 04:25 PM
Everyone hates CDT these days.

they make me sick.

Bianchi?
April 23, 2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks! Looks like some good prices.

Now can I get one that is listed as a .223 and shoot 5.56 through it or does it have to be a 5.56 that I get to be able to shoot .223's? I see some listed as 5.56, some .223 and some 2.23/5.56. Did not know if all one and the same. I thought 5.56 would shoot both but not sure if 2.23 will shoot both.

5.56 will shot both.

.223 will not.

Most of the time, if it's labeled "mil-spec", it will shoot 5.56.

JTHunter
April 23, 2013, 04:42 PM
Vamo said (in post 19):When did walmart stop selling ars? I was under the impression they only stop selling the specific model used in newton. I've seen some 22lr ar-15s there since, but I assumed the panickers just cleaned out the 223/5.56s.

Wal-farts in this area of Illinois near St. Louis haven't been selling rifles for at least 10 years!

Kiln
April 23, 2013, 05:17 PM
Everyone hates CDT these days.

they make me sick.
I gave them a break when they temporarily suspended gun sales and still believe their story that record numbers of gun sales forced them to change policies on a few things that had to do with backorders.

I did however stop buying from them when they inflated all of their prices to take advantage of the panic buying. No thanks CTD, I'd rather pay more some place else in the future. You've bitten the hands of those who have fed you for years in the past few months and I'm done giving you business.

KimberUltra
April 23, 2013, 07:57 PM
No AR's on the shelves where I am :(

pharmer
April 23, 2013, 09:07 PM
CDNN had the Colt 6920 for $1100 before the panic as did WallyWorld. I guess I'll have to get another when the price gets there again, probably around June 1. Joe

lionken07
April 23, 2013, 09:10 PM
Enjoy buying AR15 guys. We in CT can no longer do so:banghead:

KimberUltra
April 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
That's why the prices dropped! There's a couple hundred thousand people in ct that already have like 6 of em and they can't afford anymore. There is the lower demand right there. Haha

Bruno2
April 23, 2013, 10:29 PM
Enjoy buying AR15 guys. We in CT can no longer do so

Right, and they are made there. How stupid is that really?

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 10:32 PM
In CO, when they passed the normal capacity magazine ban, they told Magpul that they'd be welcome to stay in the state and STILL SELL those "evil high capacity magazines" to other states. It just highlights the hypocracy of these gun grabbers. They're more than happy to deny individual citizens their natural rights, but still want the makers of said "evil" products to remain in-state to take in the millions of tax dollars and indirect revenue that these industries provide. Colt and others in CT need to follow the lead of Magpul and get the hell out of dodge.

Kynoch
April 23, 2013, 10:37 PM
In CO, when they passed the normal capacity magazine ban, they told Magpul that they'd be welcome to stay in the state and STILL SELL those "evil high capacity magazines" to other states. It just highlights the hypocracy of these gun grabbers. They're more than happy to deny individual citizens their natural rights, but still want the makers of said "evil" products to remain in-state to take in the millions of tax dollars and indirect revenue that these industries provide. Colt and others in CT need to follow the lead of Magpul and get the hell out of dodge.

I don't believe a state can ban the manufacturing of goods that are legally sold in other states. There are federal laws prohibiting that.

TheSaint
April 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
They never tried to get Magpul to stop making the magazines, as of course CO LEO's are still going to want access to them, not to mention the civilian markets in other states. Nobody in CO tried to ban the manufacture of these magazines, but my point is that the legislature was happy to try to keep them in the state of CO to collect that tax revenue, the VAST MAJORITY of which is from out-of-state sales to civilians like you and me.

KimberUltra
April 23, 2013, 11:27 PM
Ct is doing the same thing. Our local gun advocates (ccdl) seems to be planning a lawsuit.

firesky101
April 23, 2013, 11:59 PM
AR's are still hyper-inflated in my area. Gun grabber state politicians here are still making lots of noise, and they probably have the votes to do just about anything they want to us gun owners.

JRs12Valve
April 24, 2013, 12:55 AM

Colt is moving to Texas. :D

Ignition Override
April 24, 2013, 01:16 AM
But will the proposed states/counties/cities offer enough tax incentives etc to lure those other gun companies away?

The fact than an Airbus aircraft final assembly plant -previously only in Europe- will soon break ground in Mobile AL (old Brookley Field) means that the opportunities for gun manufacturers to escape the socialist hyper-regulations and threats are possible.

TheSaint
April 24, 2013, 02:33 AM
They are not only possible, but they are happening right now. As mentioned by JRS12Valve above, Colt is following suit to Magpul's move to pull the hell out of tyrannical states and move to free parts of the country. As soon as Magpul moves and gets set up again, I'm going to order tons of goods from them as a show of support, and write them a letter as to WHY I'M DOING IT. If businesses in the gun industry get the hint that we'll support them as long as they support our rights, that's not only patriotic on the part of their management, but also good business!

OilyPablo
April 24, 2013, 07:19 AM
Colt is moving to Texas.

Is this a certainty? All production? HQ??

redneck2
April 24, 2013, 07:51 AM
I was at the LGS yesterday (Tuesday the 23rd). They have LOTS of AR's. All brands and price ranges. Probably a couple of dozen hanging on the wall. Stripped lowers for $99.

Arkansas Paul
April 24, 2013, 10:52 AM
I've noticed the prices going down as well on ARs. What I can't figure out is why AK prices haven't gone down. Gunbroker prices for AKs are as much as ARs. It doesn't make any sense to me. I'd like to buy an AK, but not until they come WAY down.

5.56 will shot both.

.223 will not.

There's a difference in WILL shoot and SHOULD NOT shoot.
Either one WILL shoot the other. However, it's not recommended to shoot 5.56 in a firearm only labeled for .223.

TenDriver
April 24, 2013, 10:57 AM
Everyone has run out of gun money. They apparently still have plenty of ammo money though.

taliv
April 24, 2013, 05:17 PM
looks like BCG prices are starting to fall. couple $175 ads still have no takers for over a day and they've been in stock at PSA for $190 for several hours. maybe if nobody buys them, they will fall back to a much more reasonable $130 or so

sonick808
April 24, 2013, 05:46 PM
many of the valley fun stores have ar's, ak's, 30rd pmags, 30rd eastern european steel ak mags, and ammo to feed it all. The rifles themselves are the most reasonalby priced; i saw one a2, forget the brand, it went for 729+ tax! The AK's aren't dropping their prices quite as fast. I'm still 200$ over ANY AK price I paid in 2011. 300 over 2009.

.22LR on the other hand, still pretty scarce, as are lee carbide die sets. From what i've read, the gov. ammo expenditure aren't that out of the ordinary if you look at the historical data. I think things will rebound as long as Obama's tantrum doesn't morph into some ridiculous attempt to use e-power. He was really throwing a major fit after the senate vote wasn't he ? Wow.

jrdolall
April 26, 2013, 01:17 PM
Walmart here in Alabama had an M&P .22 for $447 yesterday which is pre-panic pricing. If only they had any ammo to feed it.

Xfire68
April 26, 2013, 01:19 PM
I can't even imagine the look on the faces of those that paid 3k for a Colt AR or 2k for a Bushmaster!

Ouch!

KMatch
April 26, 2013, 01:29 PM
In response to a post on page 3. Sorry, didn't realize there where I was in the thread...

That's an age old debate (5.56-.223... 5.56 is supposedly higher power and microscopically larger/longer in size. I've heard of .223s shooting them when chamber checked, but most offer a warning it's not the best thing to do.

Twmaster
April 26, 2013, 04:37 PM
Colt is moving to Texas. :D
No.

A company that makes some rifles under license from Colt is moving to Texas.

http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2013/apr/08/colt-competition-plant-coming-to-breckenridge/

"Colt Competition is part of Bold Ideas Inc., which licenses Coltís iconic brand to craft competition shooting rifles."

So, no, it's not Colt.

RP88
April 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
ammo is still 150-200% of what it used to cost. I have no doubt it will come down again, but like all things it will take a season's worth of time. I wager by July-August ammo will be findable again.

Seeing ARs back at normal prices is good. It's a shame AKs are pretty much stuck where they are now.

SSN Vet
April 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
WOW...

LPKs available at Midway and PSA ..... and on sale at PSA for pre-hyperactivity prices.

Oh happy days are here again, the sky is bright and clear again.... happy days are here again :)

Ed Ames
April 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
Not ARs but I saw something amazing today.

Local gun store had a stack of Kel-tec RFBs on display...

Even more astounding...they were priced at $1199 each!

Yeah, availability of black plastic is getting better.

straightShot
April 26, 2013, 09:54 PM
looks like BCG prices are starting to fall. couple $175 ads still have no takers for over a day and they've been in stock at PSA for $190 for several hours. maybe if nobody buys them, they will fall back to a much more reasonable $130 or so

PSA can keep their $179.99 Bolt Carrier Groups. I won't do it. At $135, Windham's prices are still high, but that's where I went.

tjs45d
April 26, 2013, 10:40 PM
Local LGS had 2 or 3 NEW DPMS rifles for sale today, at $1099.00. Still too much in my opinion.. By the way, ammo of all kinds was almost extinct at this local gun store.. About 20 boxes of 20 rd. .223 and 10 or so boxes of .45ACP. No 9mm to be seen.. They just implemented a 2 box limit on ammo purchases in the last few weeks.. This LGS has always been the "go to" shop for reloading supplies and a wide variety of ammo.. Shelves are VERY empty...! I do think it WILL turn around, but I would like to see the local LGS guys' to be able to stock their shelves..!!!

Not beating up on the dealer, but are the mfg's raising prices any due to the so-called "panic"..? If I remember correctly, these rifles were around $800.00 +- before all the hoopla..?

Walkalong
April 26, 2013, 10:46 PM
Bolt carrier groupsthey've been in stock at PSA for $190 for several hours. maybe if nobody buys them, they will fall back to a much more reasonable $130 or soThat's what I am waiting for.

silicosys4
April 26, 2013, 10:52 PM
Saw a Colt 6920 in a Wal Mart this week for the first time in 4 months, it was the MOE edition for $1197.

TheSaint
April 27, 2013, 02:49 AM
Bolt carrier groupsThat's what I am waiting for.
Can either of you gentlemen speak to the quality of the PSA versus Windham quality on the BCG? I'm building my first ever AR and am still in need of a BCG to complete my project, but don't want to pay extra if it looks like the prices are finally headed south. What is a reasonable price to pay for a BCG of decent quality? I still have two months to wait for the rest of my gear to show up, so I'm in no hurry, due to backorders. :)

Twmaster
April 27, 2013, 04:42 AM
The PSA and Windham ought to be OK. The Windham might be better as they are what used to be Bushmaster.

Either brand will be fine for a civilian AR.

TheSaint
April 27, 2013, 05:16 AM
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=23

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=24

I'm just wondering what's the difference between their m16 and ar15 BCG?

straightShot
April 27, 2013, 08:50 AM
I'm just wondering what's the difference between their m16 and ar15 BCG?

If you look at the bottom rear, the semi-auto carrier is cut out. On the M16 bolt carrier, it is not. The rear of the AR15 bolt carrier looks like an L that has been rotated 90 degrees clockwise. The M16 bolt carrier rear looks cyclindrical/blocky at the end since there isn't a cutout. Either one works fine in an AR15. You won't notice a difference with either one.

The question was raised as to the quality of PSA vs. Windham BCGs. I don't know who manufactures either one, so I can't delve into the metallurgical aspects and do some sort of scientific comparison. I can tell you that my Windham bolts carriers have chrome lining and work fine. On the other hand, I have no experience with and can't comment on the PSA BCGs since I don't own one.

Good luck.

TheSaint
April 27, 2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if the m16 was built to a higher quality standards to presumably withstand full-auto abuse? Even though I'm only building a semi-auto ar15, if either would work, and both are the same price, I was thinking about getting the m-16 version. Once again, thanks for the education! :)

Elkins45
April 27, 2013, 11:16 AM
Whittaker's in western KY had a whole rack full of AR's in stock when I was in there late Tuesday. I saw a NIB S&W for <$800.

Didn't check to see if they had any ammo, but the only primers in stock were SP. I bought 5000 for $175. That's about what they were selling for last summer/fall before Sandy Hook.

45bthompson
April 27, 2013, 01:39 PM
:DI just bought a NIB 6921 for $1300! Thats the best price I've seen since 2008. Impactguns still has them listed at $1900 out of stock.:D

Dr.Rob
April 27, 2013, 03:22 PM
CDNN has a Colt dissapator and a light carbine for $999

XD Fan
April 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
I was able to buy 100 rds. of .223 last Sunday at Walmart for $36 with tax. That was cheaper than before the panic. It was BrasMaxx (by Tulammo). Don't know if it is any good (I don't shoot steel cased Tulammo because I have had problems in the past.), but I am happy to try it at that price.

Hapworth
April 28, 2013, 12:00 AM
I can't even imagine the look on the faces of those that paid 3k for a Colt AR or 2k for a Bushmaster!

Ouch!
What I love is how many of them are trying to sell those same Colts and Bushmasters at the same ridiculous prices now and saying they "only want to sell it for what they have in it".

CDR_Glock
April 28, 2013, 12:19 AM
That's good that the prices are dropping. The thing about antigun people is that they just drive demand in people who never even considered buying guns before. I know people who had no inkling of buying one until this discussion started. As opposed to achieving their goals, they contributed to more people joining the pool of lawful citizens who do want to protect themselves. We all know how hard it is to wait for help to come when the SHTF. It's better to have it and not need it.

As for the ammo, the hoarding will slow down. It has stimulated the economy more than one can imagine for gun and ammo dealers.

For the folks who were selling their guns well above what they paid, it was a good run for them. Sure they made their buck. Who can blame them? No worries. For the ones thinking they will sell for a high price now, well, They'll put it into their safe and be none the richer. Just like the real estate bubble.

basicblur
April 28, 2013, 12:34 AM
Our local 'no haggle' gun shop has always kept his prices low.
His rack is now almost full of a wide range of ARs - he has stated he needs to cut back on his future AR orders.

Talked to him today - someone won? a KelTec KSG at a recent Friends of NRA dinner, but still hasn't picked it up. They wanted the shop to sell it for them for the inflated prices he reports seeing at online sites.

The owner refused - he says even though it's not the shop price gouging, many folks would not / could not differentiate, and his reputation would suffer.
BTW - the KSG owner kept telling the owner he was seeing $2600 tags on the KSG online. The owner told him it's about a $600 or so gun, and if he wanted anything more than that, he should pick it up and sell it online for whatever he wants.

I love my local gun shop! :D

RetiredUSNChief
April 28, 2013, 01:09 AM
What I love is how many of them are trying to sell those same Colts and Bushmasters at the same ridiculous prices now and saying they "only want to sell it for what they have in it".

I suspect that there are two main groups who bought high:

One group would be the people who bought with the intent to own (based on the political climate and potential future unavailability) and who will kick themselves for having bought when the market was so high. But these people will likely bite the bullet on the loss, since they intended to keep the gun(s) anyway.

The other group would be the people who bought with the intent to sell later. These people are likely not only kicking themselves for having bought so high...and learning what it's like to be a long term owner of something they never really wanted anyway.

I'm sure some of the first group found themselves overextending their budgets and would like to recoup that. But them's the chances you take any time the market reacts like it did and people buy high.

:):)

basicblur
April 28, 2013, 01:11 AM
Well I'm kicking myself - I kept saying I should have sold a few of mine during the panic and replace 'em when the drought was over.

Too late now... :banghead:

Silverado6x6
April 28, 2013, 04:39 PM
Used to just see a local gun show every couple of months, now its every other week at various locations like a high school, community center or the local sports complex.

Every other week, and they are packed.

I bet Obama has a strategy to pass out "stimulus" to the gun shows just like he did to everything else that got a stimulus...and failed.

CoRoMo
April 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
Holy cow!!

Twenty round 7.62/.308 Pmags are selling for $1.25 each!!?!! -> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339137446

ngnrd
April 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
Did I just hear a bubble pop?

Bruno2
April 29, 2013, 11:05 PM
Looked like there was only 1 for sale.

justice06rr
May 1, 2013, 12:50 AM
Not beating up on the dealer, but are the mfg's raising prices any due to the so-called "panic"..? If I remember correctly, these rifles were around $800.00 +- before all the hoopla..?

Some companies did raise their prices based on demand, etc.

For example Smith and Wesson M&P Sport were around $699 pre-panic. They have since gone up to $839 MSRP which is what I paid for mine last month. I verified this on the official S&W website.

They will come down a bit eventually, but I fear we will never really see the "good ol days" again. Ammo has gone up a bit too; a few dollars per box due to inflation and demand.

May 1, 2013, 07:28 AM
Looked like there was only 1 for sale.
Nah, he listed another one, and it sold for $17.00, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339283017
I think he learned a lesson, and now, the starting bid for his 3rd one is at $22.00, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339443637

ol' scratch
May 1, 2013, 10:35 AM
It is good to see. My next build is going to be a 6.5 Grendel. I have the lowers already. I am also going to get some more 80 percent lowers and a new jig. My future AR builds will be my business only. I am sick of politicians who don't know what they are talking about trying to ban things they don't understand.

Bullz
May 1, 2013, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the long term price of ammo and weapons. The market is getting pretty saturated. Over the last couple months I've been doing some research and formulating some business and pricing models around starting a new ammo factory. The long and sort of it as it pertains to current ammo pricing is this: 5.56 can be made and sold for approximately $0.25 per round (Direct sales/wholesale only) including a 25% markup over materials and overhead. That's what the steel case russian stuff sold for pre panic. FWIW, the price per round goes up to $0.30 - $0.35 with distribution costs to stores like walmart, etc.

Which means that the market will move back to that pricing if it can be profitably made and sold at that price - which I now know it can be. Otherwise, some people are going to get together and start a profitable ammo company because there is a lot of room for profit between $0.25/round and the current pricing on 5.56. Keep in mind, $0.25/round ammo is nothing more than a basic quality grade range/plinking ammo... but I think that's anyone wants in bulk. Just some affordable training fodder. I also looked at 9mm, .45 and .308.

The take away is... put aside your worries and fears because the current market prices on ammo are not sustainable in a capitalistic environment. The fact that Wal-mart never changed their pricing should offer some encouragement as that is the LOWEST price you are going to find in a conventional retail environment - i.e. not wholesale. They still have an empty shelf at my local wal-mart where the $7.38 federal .223 is supposed to get stocked.

Although I have NOT done similar research on firearms - mostly because I couldn't care less about starting a weapons plant - I would have to believe that the same is true for guns (if not more so).

So don't be surprised if you see S&W and Ruger offering factory rebates and other such incentives in Q3 2013 to boost sales forecasts. Look for incentives around September and October this year.

biohazurd
May 2, 2013, 12:31 AM
Yep. Its getting about that time. To build another AR that is.

justice06rr
May 2, 2013, 11:49 PM
Yep, its a good time to start those builds again. Just be patient and try to get parts in stock.

I actually built a Spikes AR15 during the panic for under $1k. Took a little while though as the BCG was the hardest thing to find at the time.

Bill Jones
May 6, 2013, 05:50 PM
I have been wanting a Colt 6920 for about a year and waited too long. I refused to pay the locally inflated prices so I have been casually looking at online auctions. I found one Saturday, new in the box. Even after shipping and paying for the FFL transfer it was cheaper than the local Wal-Mart after taxes.

freebird
May 11, 2013, 04:09 AM
So what is a good price on a Colt 6920? I am on a 3 day hold at Wal-Mart for the one I tried to purchase last night. $1147 is the price they had on it. Is that still too high?

OilyPablo
May 11, 2013, 07:45 AM
Gun show was $1099 (new) for 6920 last Saturday. Not sure how many he had. To me it seemed like a sure pre-banic price.

meanmrmustard
May 11, 2013, 08:03 AM
Gun show was $1099 (new) for 6920 last Saturday. Not sure how many he had. To me it seemed like a sure pre-banic price.
That sounds right.

I think freebird is looking at the Magpul 6920. It's the same at my Walmart.

Pilot
May 11, 2013, 09:53 AM

That is a pretty good price. I got a Magpul edition M4/LE6920 for $1050 pre-panic.

MikeLD
May 11, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hey Oily, I got my M400 right after Sandy for about $900.00 at Walmart and I love it, The trigger was a little rough for my type of shooting so I put in a Geisselle SSAE trigger and added a Leopold Scope and mounts. After 500 rounds no ftf, fte, or any kind of failure, noda zip, its a real tac driver and I couldn't be happier.

freebird
May 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
So is that an Ok price for the Magpul 6920 at Walmart or still too high?

Bill Jones
May 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
Seems fair to me. The regular 6920 is 1097$ at my local Wal- Mart.

GCMkc
May 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
$780....Del-Ton 16" Echo 316 Rifle: http://www.jsesurplus.com/del-tondti16echo316hrifle.aspx

WOWZAS :what:

AR prices are definitely dropping. I see a Colt LE6920 in my very near future. :D

PabloJ
May 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
New Burshmaster-gton with standard handle, iron sights and telescoping stock costs $700+ tax.

If you enjoyed reading about "ARs prices are dropping like crazy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!