.22 shorts in a revolver?

PDA

mljdeckard
April 20, 2013, 01:22 AM
My little sister is having a gopher invasion on a ranch where she works. She has a Ruger sinvle-six, I told her to use it, she said she is worried about it being too loud and scaring other animals. Would .22 pistol artridges be significantly quieter, and is there any reason she shouldn't shoot them out of the lr cylinder?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 shorts in a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tomcat47
April 20, 2013, 01:33 AM
I Like the CCi CB ... They are pretty quiet compared to Long Rifle and are still fast enough to get results on the little critters..

If You Can Find Some Right Now..... :uhoh:

lobo9er
April 20, 2013, 01:33 AM
I've shot 22 shorts out of a derringer still little loud. Maybe CeeBee's?

DesertFox
April 20, 2013, 01:39 AM
Works great. Tastes great. Less filling.

Do it all the time with a Taurus Model 94 9 shot while riding around on the riding lawn mower.

Water-Man
April 20, 2013, 01:52 AM
Try CCI QUIET.

Pyro
April 20, 2013, 05:16 AM
Cheaperthandirt has those quiet primer-only rounds from aquilla for sale at the moment

critter
April 20, 2013, 08:16 AM
CB's work well out of mine and are really accurate, just maybe a slightly different POI.

Deltaboy
April 20, 2013, 09:21 AM
I use shorts around the house all the time for small best control, they should work fine in that single six.

303tom
April 20, 2013, 11:02 AM
I use .22 shorts in my H&R 922 when we are trapping, but we are usually at point-blank range, I don`t know how much power you will have left out at 30 to 50 yards...............

mljdeckard
April 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
I actually am in a part of the state right now where I have a couple of dealers who are off the beaten path, and have surprised me in the past having stuff in stock during crises.

She freaked out because she dragged trough one with spikes the other day, and it went crazy and chased her, her dog went nuts barking....to be honest, I wish I could have been there to see it. :D

Water-Man
April 20, 2013, 01:22 PM
^^^?????

scaatylobo
April 20, 2013, 02:31 PM
You dont state the distance,but I am going to guess its close or there would be a .22 rifle involved.

I use the CCI .22 long CB caps as they are much easier to manipulate [ compared to the .22 short CB's ].

I find that the .22 long CB's are gtg for a small game kill to about 50' out of a rifle,AND very quiet.

I just shot a rat for a friend yesterday and it didnt know the different between a .22 CB or a .22 short.

She really needs to try a few shots on paper to see where it hits,then a few to see if she gets enough penetration.

Carl N. Brown
April 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
.22 shorts in a revolver

Long answer
The evolution of cartridges from the original Flobert Bulleted Breech Cap rimfire cartridge was to lengthen the case and add more gun powder and/or a heavier bullet. Diameter of case and bullet remained the same. The progression was:

Year Cartridge Case Bullet Overall Description
1845 BB .284" 20 GR .343" Flobert Bullet Breech cap
1857 Short .423" 29 gr .686" Smith & Wesson cartridge #1
1871 Long .595" 29 gr .798" ¨Frank Wesson?
1880 Extra Long .750" 40 gr 1.160" ¨?
1887 Long Rifle .595" 40 gr .985" J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co
1888 CB .284" 20 gr ---- Conical Bullet version of BB*

Modern CB rounds use the Short or Long case length with a 29 grain bullet.
A .22 LR cylinder like the Single Six will fire modern CBs, Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles.

Short answer
Yes.

Carl N. Brown
April 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
The question of the noise of .22 shorts out of a revolver. Hi velocity shorts can be loader than .22 longs (for some reason) but not as loud as high velocity long rifles.

(I am on the last six boxes of an old brick of Winchester High Vel .22 short that are pretty loud and punchy.)

T Bran
April 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
.22 shorts are still pretty noisy little devils when fired from a revolver.
CB's are far quieter and still have more than enough impact to deal with smaller critters.
I am currently heavily in like with Aguilla SSS (Sniper sub sonic) as they are less noisey than .22 lr but have amazing penetration due to a 60 grain projectile.
Luck
T

mljdeckard
April 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
I love you guys. I'll tell her to just use whatever. Right now it might actually be easier to find finge rounds like CBs and shorts than LRs and birdshot shells for the mag cylinder.

saltydog452
April 20, 2013, 06:46 PM
.22 CB Caps are ( were) a quiet, fun camping toy. So is a Whamo sling shot and a bag of cull .45 boolits. We don't, won't, go 'camping' in Big Bend anymore. It was fun while it lasted.

Have fun,

salty

tubeshooter
April 20, 2013, 07:05 PM
Right now it might actually be easier to find finge rounds like CBs and shorts than LRs and birdshot shells for the mag cylinder.

I have found this to be the case, at least for me locally. I can find shorts and CBs much easier than LR right now.

Shorts are still pretty loud, especially from revolvers. They still pack a pretty good punch too. I think a CB would likely do the job you are asking, but be aware you may not get all one shot putdowns. That will end up being louder than a short would have been, with the commotion factored in and all.

I have serious doubts about Colibris and/or Super Colibris in the requested role. I personally would not try that.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
I would pick up some CCI CB shorts or the CCI Quiet. Both will still be fairly loud in a revolver. If that is too noisy, get a pellet gun.

tubeshooter
April 20, 2013, 07:43 PM
Good point - I had forgotten about the new CCI Quiet. They should actually hit a little harder than a CB, since they are an honest 40 grains.

The only thing I don't like is that they are nearly indistinguishable from regular LR*, so you have to be careful about keeping them separate (i.e. usually in their own box) so you know what you're shooting.

scaatylobo
April 21, 2013, 10:49 AM
The CCI CB longs are a good deal quieter than the CCI Quiets.

That is shot from a rifle and I am sure MUCH more from a revolver,meaning more noise than wanted from the handgun.

The item missing is what distance are the shots to be taken.

I just bought a T/C single shot in .22 and it shoots all VERY well and might be a much better choice to rid oneself of vermin.

Salmoneye
April 21, 2013, 02:23 PM
Aguila Colibri...

Super Colibris will be a tad louder...

Mooseman
April 21, 2013, 09:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, are the gophers out there the same size as our ground hogs here in Pennsylvania? Not sure if we're talking about the same critter. I'd be concerned that .22 shorts might not have enough umph to put them down.

rcmodel
April 21, 2013, 09:22 PM
I'd venture a guess they are not even close.

The biggest gophers we had in Colorado weighed 1/2 pound at most.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(animal)

Ground hogs here in Kansas are a completely different and much larger animal, running 6+ pounds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog#Description

And he could be calling chipmunks gophers.
They weigh 2 ounces soaking wet.

rc

bigdaa
April 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
Use the Aguila Colibri primer only rounds. I killed a skunk with a head shot with one. It will dispatch a gopher and is the quietest round I know of.

I also used a Ruger Single Six.

Bored1
April 21, 2013, 10:04 PM
The Aguila Colibri primer rounds are the quietest round for a 22 revolver I have tried and are pretty easy to find even with the current craziness thats going on. Local Scheels here has probably at least 2k boxes in stock right now.

Deltaboy
April 21, 2013, 11:03 PM
Any of them will work.

788Ham
April 22, 2013, 12:34 AM
I've shot cottontail rabbits with them, knocks their socks off DRT ! Shooting about 75 feet, never knew what hit 'em !

ArchAngelCD
April 22, 2013, 04:01 AM
As already said and I'm only confirming the information.

CCI CB - 29gr LRN .22 Shorts @710 fps (CCI Part #0026)
CCI CB Long - 29gr LRN .22 Longs @710 fps (CCI Part #0038)
CCI Quiet-22 - 40gr LRN .22 LR @710 fps (CCI Part #960)

All 3 can be used without hearing protection. The Quiet-22 is fairly new and slightly louder than the CB rounds and carried a little more energy because of the heavier bullet at the same velocities. When you need something that will go unnoticed yet still take that varmint all 3 will do the job although I'm liking the 40gr Quiet-22 better all the time for slightly larger varmints than squirrels. The 29gr CB Longs do a great job on squirrels and the shot sound won't be noticed by the neighbors.

snooperman
April 22, 2013, 04:39 PM
The CCI Quiet are not "quiet" in my guns , but the CB longs are.

308win
April 22, 2013, 04:59 PM
I use CCI CBs in my Rossi Gallery Rifle to shoot squirrels off the bird feeder. If I shoot from inside my wife says she can't hear the shot outside. They are quiet.

Buck13
April 22, 2013, 05:09 PM
Remington shorts out of a 6" revo are pretty quiet. Not silent, but how sensitive are these other animals?

Of course, I was wearing earplugs at the range the last time I fired any...

mljdeckard
April 22, 2013, 08:58 PM
I don't know whether it's the animals or the neighbors she is concerned about.

Radagast
April 22, 2013, 09:31 PM
CCI quiet .22 gets my vote. I tried the 29 grain LongZ from Winchester, I was getting 4 inch patterns from my CZ452 at 25 meters. The quiet .22 gave a 1/2 inch group.
From a rifle there was no discomfort when shot on an indoor range. From a revolver there was still a slight ouch factor.

HadEmAll
April 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
I use CCI CBs to dispatch problem skunks and possums after I've trapped them. They want to live under my deck, and I can't have it. No city agency will take them, so I'm on my own.

Out of a .22 rifle they are quieter than any pellet rifle I've owned.

Unfortunately, out of either of my 4" & 5" .22 pistols, they are quite a bit louder, more than I can comfortably get away with in my urban environment.

So I use the rifles. The CB shorts will feed 95% of the time in my bolt-action, and I do the single shot thing in my semi- auto.

weblance
April 24, 2013, 01:26 PM
This is what she needs. Wont scare the animals, and uses regular 22 ammo.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/0405130736aMedium_zps635e57de.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/weblance/media/0405130736aMedium_zps635e57de.jpg.html)

mljdeckard
April 24, 2013, 03:26 PM
Not exactly. If you don't use sub-sonic ammo, the effect is limited.

Nope, a Ruger Single-six is what she's got. I'm not going to tell her to buy a new gun, apply for a suppressor, do the waiting, and pay the tax for a rodent problem at work. (For pete sake.)

weblance
April 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Not exactly. If you don't use sub-sonic ammo, the effect is limited.

Nope, a Ruger Single-six is what she's got. I'm not going to tell her to buy a new gun, apply for a suppressor, do the waiting, and pay the tax for a rodent problem at work. (For pete sake.)

Everything from a barrel 4" and shorter is subsonic. 22 CBs from a revolver, while quieter that full power ammo, are not, by any means, quiet. They are still LOUD. IF used in a rifle with a barrel 20" and longer, then they are quiet. They are even LOUD in a 10/22 and Beretta Neos Carbine. There is no trick to getting a handgun quiet. The only way is to suppress it. Believe me... Ive tried everything possible. I now have quiet handguns. One is pictured in my post above. Good Luck.

scallop
April 24, 2013, 09:49 PM
What better excuse to buy a new gun? :D CB's in a lever action are super quiet, hammer hitting the firing pin almost makes more noise than the round. Any of them thru a revolver will be noisy due to the gas leakage at the cylinder gap, so if she wants quiet a new gun would be in order. Or if she knows someone with a lever she could borrow......

Bill50
April 25, 2013, 01:52 AM
I've shot bulk pack, regular CCI's, and Remington .22 Subsonics out of my revolver. They all shoot, but I've never shot anything buy paper to know if they can kill a gopher.

As long as its not semi-auto, ammo labeled .22lr should be able to shoot from anything labeled .22lr. Semi-autos don't usually cycle with low velocity ammo. I don't know how loud they are since I can barely hear regular .22lr.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 shorts in a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!