Confirmed: Tennessee is in America

PDA

Oleg Volk
February 3, 2003, 01:17 PM
It may or may not be the best state, but it beats my previous residences:

1. Summer camp ads, incl. those advertising camps for girls, almost always show archery and sometimes air gun lessons in the ad graphics.

2. Carrying a G17 in a G-Code holster (hardly subtle) gets no notice from anyone, including gas station clerks or Betty's grandmother.

3. Students at an art school (!) discuss how machine gun ownership is a right...except they all agree that it is and so no argument occurs.

That, and 50-70*F and sunny made my weekend!

If you enjoyed reading about "Confirmed: Tennessee is in America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Betty
February 3, 2003, 01:24 PM
or Betty's grandmother.

And I think she's given up on the ethics of me carrying, thank goodness.

And popping small balloons at 75 yards with my Mosin M44 made my weekend. Next time I want them past 100. :p

coonan357
February 3, 2003, 01:30 PM
ok you 2 quit rubbing it in , just because its been in the 30's cloudy and rainy , and we can't conceal ..... hmmm I think I might go to tennesee !:D

mtnbkr
February 3, 2003, 01:52 PM
Tennessee is a nice state. I lived in Columbia from 1981 to 1987ish (when I was 8 to 14 years old). My wife and I went to Gatlinburg for vacation this fall and enjoyed it. If it weren't so far from our families, I think I could talk her into moving to Tn (our familes are in Va and NC). I remember people carrying openly when I lived there. Heck, we used to walk through our neighborhood with airrifles, 22's, and shotguns to do little shooting on the edge of the subdivision (a development outside of town on the highway to Spring Hill, we were about 1-2 miles or so from the Saturn Plant).

Chris

Oleg Volk
February 3, 2003, 01:53 PM
Pics from early on Saturday.

BTW, runt is really quite good with that M44. I ran about 120 rounds through it over the weekend and can appreciate how hard it is to pop 4-5" balloons moving with the wind at 50-75 yards.

BerettaNut92
February 3, 2003, 01:54 PM
2. Carrying a G17 in a G-Code holster (hardly subtle) gets no notice from anyone, including gas station clerks or Betty's grandmother.

Is open carry permitted in TN?

Oleg Volk
February 3, 2003, 01:57 PM
The little carbine.
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/hillside_s.jpg (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/hillside.jpg)

http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/fog_s.jpg (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/fog.jpg)

Betty
February 3, 2003, 01:57 PM
Open carry isn't clearly stated in TN, IIRC. I don't do open carry so I don't end up in the middle of a fuss if some sheeple get scared and call the cops. I also don't like advertising where my gun is.

Oleg Volk
February 3, 2003, 01:58 PM
Is open carry permitted in TN?

Yes, though practicality varies by location.

hso
February 3, 2003, 02:00 PM
Oleg,

I do hope that the "previous state" you were referring to wasn't the USSR :neener: !

Skunk, Tennessee has a firearms carry law instead of concealed carry. The original carry law was CC, but it was recognized that you could be in violation if your weapon became exposed inadvertantly. As a result the law was changed to allow carry with the permit.

Mike

Oleg Volk
February 3, 2003, 02:04 PM
Frozen chosin' Minnesota, Illinois and New York City...all of which were and are disagreeable to various extents. Weather here is nice, and one gets to meet young ladies of quality and firepower, mental and ballistic.

A thought about the M44: the kick is minimal (!), probably due to well-fitting stock and use of sling to spread the recoil. Even with the muzzle velocity loss due to the shorter barrel, it throws a 200-gr softpoint at about 2x velocity of 10mm Auto...so about 4x kinetic energy. Muzzle flash is serious with some ammo, minimal with other brands.

bogie
February 3, 2003, 02:06 PM
Well, in Misery, the temps were between 50 and 60, for the first time in a long time. So I bagged the concept of cleaning the apartment/going through stuff, and went for a walk. Since I've been spending a lot of time on the torturecycle, the first five miles went great! Moving right along...

Then I realized I had to turn around to walk home.

Today, I am aware of muscles that I didn't know I had.

hso
February 3, 2003, 02:06 PM
Oleg,

I've worked in all 3 and would not want to live in any of them.

Mike

MitchSchaft
February 3, 2003, 02:18 PM
You can carry openly only if you have a carry permit, but expect to be detained by the cops depending on where you are.

Yes, our permit is a handgun carry only. You dont have to worry about concealing it. This year, the TFA is going to present legislation to have it changed to a weapons carry permit so we can carry any weapon we'd like. I'll keep ya'll updated in that respect.

Otherwise, stay away from Memphis. :neener:

NewShooter78
February 3, 2003, 02:38 PM
If I don't get this last job I interviewed for, I'm moving back up to the Nashville area. I graduated from MTSU back in 2000, and I've missed the area ever since I left.

MLH
February 3, 2003, 02:54 PM
Don't you mean where your "guns" are?:neener:

Guyon
February 3, 2003, 03:11 PM
Man, it was a nice weekend. No shooting for me, but I did get in 18 holes of golf. Stunk it up on the front, but about hole 7, the swing started to click again. Wound up with a 38 on the back. Not bad for me.

They say it's going to be mid-30s tomorrow though. It's not fair!!!

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to live anywhere that the gun laws and attitudes are any stricter. TN is definitely in America.

John Forsyth
February 3, 2003, 03:13 PM
Oleg & Runt, where did you shoot? I was at the IDPA match at Music City Tactical Shooters up in Millersville Sat. My club shoots IDPA on the 2nd Sun of the month in Manchester.

Jmurman
February 3, 2003, 03:47 PM
sounds nice, as does west Va. My wife and I are in the beginning stages of re-locating.

El Tejon
February 3, 2003, 03:52 PM
You forgot having the cutest ADAs in the country!:D

Yeah, too warm, melted all of our snow here. At least there will be no drought.

Some bugs may live if this keeps up. Hope for another deep freeze, hold the snow.:p

thisaway
February 3, 2003, 06:44 PM
To Oleg and Runt:

When is there gonna be a Middle Tenn. THR informal shoot? I'd be thrilled to come and meet a bunch of the THR crew. I have more than a few toys I could bring along...nothing really remarkable, but not too shabby either!

Betty
February 3, 2003, 08:21 PM
When is there gonna be a Middle Tenn. THR informal shoot?

I have no idea. We have occassional social gatherings at our small condo, but we're going to burst at the seams if we invite more people. Who knows what my neighbors are thinking every time people start walking up to our door with suspicious long cases.... :p

"It's a 'Tupperware' party, really!"

We could probably set up some kind of informal gathering when it gets warmer, and meet at a local range.

Oleg & Runt, where did you shoot?
We shoot at my mom n' dad's place, about an hour's drive from Nashville. It's nice and quiet, and you don't have to worry about range idiots. (With the exception of my brother's friend who was shooting with us - he would pick up his handguns by the TRIGGER GUARD with his finger ON the trigger. :what: I'm staying far, far away from that genius. )

coonan357
February 4, 2003, 02:33 AM
sounds like you need to keep a darwin award handy for that one !:D

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 02:47 AM
Runt, that sea squirt market got any openings right now? I can teach music at night and chop up fish in the morning ;)

twoblink
February 4, 2003, 07:35 AM
Went shooting this weekend; (bb guns) oh well..

Shot targets, 39 out of 40.. Ironically, my shooting has improved drastically...

TN is still on my list of "America" that I might move to...

Intune
February 4, 2003, 10:58 AM
I am not aware of many outdoor ranges here in Middle TN. There is a nice one on the steam plant property in Gallatin but it's membership is full. I used to belong to a range down by Franklin, Owl Hollow (owl something) but that's a pretty good drive from Hendersonville and they didn't have any sort of matches. We usually just go to friend's for some informal plinking. Any reccomends out there for Mid-state ranges?

Elmer Snerd
February 4, 2003, 01:17 PM
Bend of the River is about 10 miles from Cookeville(insert felony stop joke here).

http://webpages.charter.net/cpardue/rangeinfo.html

http://gemini.tntech.edu/~cpardue/ (slow to load)

spacemanspiff
February 4, 2003, 02:31 PM
yeah TN sounds nice and whatnot, but why settle for half the state being normal when Alaska has nearly NO sheeple whatsoever.

come on, where else will you have open carry laws such that no one bats an eye for anyone carrying the smallest mousegun on their hip all the way up to the largest wheelgun possible? shall-issue status is wonderful, and permits are issued promptly.

and even the media is on the pro-gun bandwagon. where else do you get front page headlines like this one from this past summer:

Politically Incorrect
February 4, 2003, 02:44 PM
Weather here is nice, and one gets to meet young ladies of quality and firepower, mental and ballistic.

Tennessee sounds nice to me. :D

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 02:55 PM
If I move to TN and can't meet a girl that can shoot and fiddle, I want my money back.

Lancel
February 4, 2003, 03:23 PM
Lived in Tennessee until age ten then my family moved on to other states.
Later, as a soldier, I married a female soldier and we looked for over 10 years for the place we would retire to.

We traveled worldwide and researched many places and the winner was ... Tennessee.:)

It's positive viewpoint toward firearms ownership was among the list of considerations.:cool:

Larry

MitchSchaft
February 4, 2003, 03:29 PM
The laws are only going to get better with the legislative proposals the TFA has cooked up.

T.Stahl
February 4, 2003, 04:07 PM
Hmm, this Tennessee-thing becomes more and more interesting. :cool:

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 04:15 PM
Hmm, this Tennessee-thing becomes more and more interesting.

TStahl, do you know any German girls that play the accordion and shoot HKs? If so I will get a bigger apartment ;)

T.Stahl
February 4, 2003, 05:21 PM
Hmm, I know a Chinese girl who sings, plays the piano and likes to shoot. :cool:

But German girls? Yes, I know a few who like to shoot, but not one who plays the accordion. And most of them are already married. :(

Intune
February 4, 2003, 05:23 PM
It truly is a great state. I moved here in '84 and felt right at home. I have lived in quite a few states and countries, have visited a bunch more. Here are the one's I've lived in: KS,FL,IL,CO,NY,VA and TX. Germany(3 times,4 if you count birth) France and Iran. This by no means makes me an expert but give TN a try and I think you'll like it. Ya'll come back now, ya hear? Now if I can just track down a great range...

MolonLabe416
February 4, 2003, 05:24 PM
Middle and East TN are very nice. West TN, in particular Memphis, however, is lost.

See the RangeMaster newsletter www.rangemaster.com for the stats on crime in MEM. Number one most dangerous city in the US. Again.

I grew up there, but it's a good place to be from.

Still enjoy visiting friends in Middle and East TN.

MitchSchaft
February 4, 2003, 05:30 PM
Stay away from Memphis! It's considered the ********** of TN.

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 05:51 PM
Hmm, I know a Chinese girl who sings, plays the piano and likes to shoot.

Hongkonky Tonk or Crassical?

Oleg, great photo. I guess that's what a foggy mountain is supposed to be huh? All those songs....I guess they're real!

Intune
February 4, 2003, 05:55 PM
Yeah, no earthquake yet but they have a major fault nearby and plenty of room for it in the Mississippi river. There are tons of other places in tN to eat bbq and hear music.

Powderman
February 4, 2003, 06:03 PM
Oleg and Betty, if you like your little rifle, you will absolutely LOVE the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

For the money (usually around 100 or even less) you can't beat it. Balances well, and are usually close to match accurate right out of the store. Once you decipher the mystery of the brass disk on the stock and learn how to read it, it is possible to get a super accurate rifle right off the shelf.

Very little recoil, and has a bullet of good weight pushed at reasonable velocities. Think of the .308 case necked down. Try one!! You'll be hooked.

Bainx
February 4, 2003, 06:52 PM
Reference Dan Quayle talking from Hawaii:

Hawaii [TN] has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific [America]. It is in the Pacific [America]. It is a part of the United States that is an island [state] that is right here.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, Hawaii, 4/25/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92) :D

Titan
February 4, 2003, 11:59 PM
Middle Tennessee is where it's at! I live in Maury county and we have the Maury Gun Club.Visitors get with a range officer and can shoot,nice folks,and one of the best views from the club house.About twenty minutes away in Marshall county is the TN. Pratical shooters range(not IPSC anymore,really practical IDPA type shooting) Good folks there! Murfresboro just opened a new range but I just heard about it today so I dont know the scoop on that one yet.Owl hollow near Franklin is still crankin,last I heard.Most law enforcement are pro gun(most hunt and fish too)Yall Come! ;)

faustulus
February 5, 2003, 04:24 AM

Good job Oleg now it is 20 again :what:

One of the best things about TN is all the IDPA clubs to shoot. Now if they would only get more IPSC clubs we'd be set.

RandyC
February 5, 2003, 09:53 AM
Yes, life is good in Tennessee. I used to travel a lot. It's a beautiful country. But no matter where I'd been it was always great to be on long final into Nashville and see those two lakes coming up.

I shoot outdoors in Millersville up this Tennessee "holler". Big sign on the gate saying beware of dog, a big scruffy beast who wouldn't hurt a flea. It's very gun friendly around here and I like it just fine.

T.Stahl
February 5, 2003, 11:15 AM
Hongkonky Tonk or Crassical?

Her singing: more modern, western as well as Chinese
Her piano playing: probably more classical

NewShooter78
February 5, 2003, 11:29 AM
From what I heard, and tasted while I was up there, the hunting is great. I had a few friends that made the best deer steaks. Those were the days! And in 4 1/2 years I was in Murfreesboro for college, I didn't go fishing once! :what: I still kick my self in the backside for that one. I can't wait to get back up there. And I'll agree about the Memphis comments. I was only there a couple of times, and it was too much like here (New Orleans) for comfort. I decided not to go back after the last trip over there. Graceland isn't all that important for me. I'll settle for the Opry anyday. Maybe skunk should look into playing there if his banjo skills are up to snuff. If you bring the banjo I'll bring the bass.

JHill
February 5, 2003, 11:35 AM
There are a lot of folks chiming in from Middle and Mid-west Tn. If you like this: http://www.smokyphotos.com/images/2000AndrewsBald12.jpg
and all that it affords: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, travel, scenery, etc, etc. East TN may be more favorable to you.

Some pluses: Pretty Republican area, IPSC, ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsmans ASSC--great range), great fishing, hunting, TN VOLS Football, Gatlinburg, Cades Cove, Clinch River= big trout---the list can go on.

I grew up in middle TN--though I love the area--it's flat.

my .02

D.W. Drang
February 5, 2003, 11:44 AM
"Honey, I've decided we're moving in with my parents.":D

Betty
February 5, 2003, 12:01 PM
Hey Skunky,
They hold a big Bluegrass Festival down in Pulaski every year.... lots of banjos...... :p

mtnbkr
February 5, 2003, 12:58 PM
Gatlinburg, Cades Cove

I was there this Fall. We missed the colors by a couple of weeks though. Still, it's a nice area. I took my wife to some of my favorite places hoping to see a black bear (15 years ago, I saw several in a single trip), but we weren't so lucky.

Chris

Drjones
February 5, 2003, 01:14 PM
Guys, reading all this not only makes me incredibly jealous, but it makes me feel like I'm living on a whole different planet. (CA) :(

John Forsyth
February 5, 2003, 01:24 PM
One of the best things about TN is all the IDPA clubs to shoot. Now if they would only get more IPSC clubs we'd be set.

faustulus, keep in touch. Middle Tennessee Shooters in Manchester has plans. We are shooting IDPA every 2nd Sunday now, but IPSC is in our future as well. We want to offer both one weekend a month, but we have a lot of work ahead of us.

http://www.midtnshooters.com/

Razor
February 5, 2003, 02:47 PM
Guys, reading all this not only makes me incredibly jealous, but it makes me feel like I'm living on a whole different planet. (CA)

Well, you are. :neener:

Seriously, I'll be moving up to the Johnson City area after I finish school next year. Any good shooting ranges or shops around there?

juju
February 6, 2003, 11:30 AM
I live in the upper East TN area. The Unaka Rod and Gun Club is a nice outdoor range in the Johnson City area. It is a members only club but you can bring non member friends. Cost is about $60 a year and they will pretty much let you shoot anything. It has as 200 yardish rifle range and a 50 yard pistol range (just built this past fall). Another one in the area is, I believe, the Cherokee Gun club. Never been there nor seen it so I can't comment on it. There use to be an indoor shooting range (Shooter's Mark) but it shut down when the original owner died. There has been rumors about it reopening but nothing concrete.

T.Stahl
February 6, 2003, 03:17 PM
Ok, you got me interested. So here comes an important question:
What are the gun laws like for legal aliens?

Tamara
February 6, 2003, 03:39 PM
Ask lendringser. He's probably bought more firearms in the last 48 months than the U.S. Army... :D

Steve Smith
February 6, 2003, 03:54 PM
You guys ae killing me. Being from Eastern North Carolina, I know about all this stuff you're talking about.

I'll be back there for a few days in late Feb. Maybe I'll get my Bluegrass fix while I'm there.

T.Stahl
February 6, 2003, 05:48 PM
Ah, but I'd have to spend a fortune to replace my full- and high-cap mags and to register my Bubits-stock... :D
...and Audi doesn't sell diesels in the US. :(

I better wait until September '04 and check out Norway in the meanwhile. ;)

Tamara
February 6, 2003, 07:18 PM
Horse hockey. ;)

I just bought 11 twenty-round Bundeswehr-surplus G3 mags for $3.00/ea.

I just bought a 75-rd Romanian drum mag for my folding-stock AK-47 for ~$50.

Why own a diesel Audi when gasoline Beemers and Benzes are thick on the ground and cheap? (I drive a Z3 2.8, lendringser has a 325i, and neither of us is what you'd call "rich"...)

Don't believe me, ask the expatriate Jerry himself...

TexasVet
February 6, 2003, 10:51 PM
Oleg, if you are new to Tenn, then in April you HAVE to go down to Shiloh Battlefield south of Savannah. April is the month the battle took place and one should first see it in that month. Pick up some history of the area.
It always gets to me when I see the neatly laid out cemetary of the Union dead and the mass graves of the Conederate dead. Especially since I learned last year that my great grandfather is in one of those trenches.
It is a full days visit to see everything. There are great picnic grounds and a good visitor's center. Pretty country and a lot to learn.
And REALLY good farm grown catfish resturants all around that part of Tenn!

If you enjoyed reading about "Confirmed: Tennessee is in America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!