Impact of the panic on new gun owners.

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
April 20, 2013, 09:02 PM
Today I went to Wal-Mart to check out a recent shipment. There was no ammo to be had, though I've been in luck lately. My focus is shifting from getting new guns, to stocking up on ammo for the ones I already have in the hopes of avoiding another drought like this.

It makes me think of the Great Depression. People who came of age during the depression hoarded cash because they didn't trust banks. Could newer gun owners start buying ammo in bulk as a lifelong habit because they no longer trust the supply chain?

If you enjoyed reading about "Impact of the panic on new gun owners." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1key
April 20, 2013, 09:06 PM
yes....:cool:

M

O C
April 20, 2013, 09:38 PM
I believe that the new gun owner will buy much more ammo than he needs initially more because he's caught up in the moment. Then as the dust settles he realizes that this stuff is heavy, bulky, no place to store it, wife complains, he doesn't shoot anyway, and the Zombies didn't show up after all. Now he won't buy any more, and may even sell some that he has.
On the other hand, if you were in Boston, and were told to stay home, lock the doors, and wait helplessly while the cops and crazies duke it out in the street. NOW it would be reassuring to have an EVIL BLACK ASSAULT RIFLE, and several hundred rounds stashed in the house. How many people were just cowering in their homes hoping nothing bad happened to them? This is what "Gun Control" gets you.

monotonous_iterancy
April 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
On the other hand, if you were in Boston, and were told to stay home, lock the doors, and wait helplessly while the cops and crazies duke it out in the street. NOW it would be reassuring to have an EVIL BLACK ASSAULT RIFLE, and several hundred rounds stashed in the house.

That's a good point. Gun sales might go up in MA. But doesn't MA have pretty strict laws?

Cranky CJ
April 20, 2013, 11:12 PM
Yes absolutely yes.

New gun owner, long time gun owner. Going into the future, I think all are going to 'stock' up.

TheSaint
April 20, 2013, 11:33 PM
I would be SHOCKED if gun sales in MA didn't increase at least 10-20% for a while in light of what has happened, liberal state or not. When such mayhem like that takes place, it can even make some middle-of-the-road liberals reevaluate their position.

Ignition Override
April 20, 2013, 11:41 PM
OC: Excellent point about the terrorists who were on the loose in Boston.

What if something like that happens one day (very possible) in NY state after all LEOs have switched to magazines with only seven rounds, but the psychos or career criminals Still have 'normal size' magazines?

Whether any magical power forces robbers/rapists to throw away their large magazines or not, why do the 'antis', or even the parents of the Newtown victims believe (..feel...) that NY state LEOs or other law-abiding citizens must be at a tactical disadvantage?

TheSaint: Maybe many Boston residents will start to understand what reportedly happened with some of Charlton Heston's neighbors
during the LA race riots in the mid-90s.

People claim that a few of Heston's anti-gun neighbors were nervous when watching tv, rang his gate/door bell and asked to borrow a gun.
He supposedly told them that he would not, because they had made the decision that people don't need guns, or had ridiculed his job with the NRA.

BigBore44
April 21, 2013, 05:51 AM
Ignition,
That's a very interesting statement about Heston. I had never heard that before. It was also smart because most of those people probably didn't even know how to safely handle a firearm and could have possibly ended up shooting an innocent or maybe themselves. I'm sure he wasn't just thinking about the "good neighbor" side of that equation, but also the legal ramifications should there have been an accident.

thump_rrr
April 21, 2013, 06:04 AM
OC: Excellent point about the terrorists who were on the loose in Boston.

What if something like that happens one day (very possible) in NY state after all LEOs have switched to magazines with only seven rounds, but the psychos or career criminals Still have 'normal size' magazines?...

I think everyone would be safer if LE were only using 7 round magazines.
Their hit ratio this week was somewhere south of 7%.
This includes the "Elite FBI HRT" now that they claim that the neck injury to "white hat" may have been self inflicted.

Just to clarify a lone citizen defending their family or home would probably need 30 round magazines more than a LEO who has plenty of backup as was seen this week.

TheSaint
April 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
Excellent points all around. Just because a LEO is a LEO doesn't make them a crack shot automatically. In fact, I've known several LEO's over the years and a considerable portion are not gun people. They see them as tools, and for many of them, tools they use rather rarely. Furthermore, many of the lack proper range time to nail the needed skills to be a master shooter, especially in a high-stress tactical drill/simulation.

That 7% figure as quoted above is cause for concern. Thankfully, the bulk of the shootouts occurred in the wee hours of the morning when most folks were fast asleep. If it had taken place during the day time, both the suspects and LEO's could have inflicted massive casualties in those narrow, crowded Boston neighborhoods.

My thoughts:

- The average policeman needs more training as it relates to firearms, especially under duress
- No LEO or law-abiding citizen should have their magazine size restricted, you need as many as you need to finish the job, that's like saying that they shouldn't sell high capacity duck tape rolls, you never known when you need more
- For WROL situations, you/your family/your neighborhood could be going up against armed gangs, fiddling with crippled-sized magazines is a sure way to get the good guys killed or constantly ducking for cover for unnecessary reloads instead of engaging the bad guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Impact of the panic on new gun owners." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!