Any reason not to move to Missouri?

PDA

griff383
April 20, 2013, 11:19 PM
Might be moving to the St Louis area soon, any reason not to?

Are there places to shoot long distance or hunt easily?

Carry laws good?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "Any reason not to move to Missouri?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zeeemu
April 20, 2013, 11:39 PM
Rural folks are mostly conservative while larger cities have more than a fair share of liberal minded residents, about as one might expect these days. I grew up in SW Mo. but left for better employment decades ago. I like Missouri and visit family near Springfield every year. Missouri is a great place for hunting, fishing and raising a family. Guns laws are far better than they were fifty years ago. Winters can be a bit harsh, especially compared to Texas. If you do move to St. Louis, try to stay out of Illinois. It's an unfriendly police state that's best avoided.

Coop45
April 20, 2013, 11:42 PM
You'd be close to MidwayUSA.

Lex Luthier
April 20, 2013, 11:50 PM
There was a recent news story (you'll have to googlefu it) where a sheriff's department employee gave the DHS a comprehensive list of ALL Missouri conceal carry license holders. He started at the DHS the next day. Go figure.

There is however some excellent barbecue to be had.

Kim
April 20, 2013, 11:51 PM
Lot of crime in St. Louis. Like most big cities one must learn where NOT to go. I am lucky cause I get to live in a rural area. I understand a lot of people need to live in cities for good jobs. I am thankful I still get to live in the rural area I grew up in. I understand people around here. Zeemu did you live close to Cassville? I'm going there next week to visit a friend. Love that area of MO.

Outlaw Man
April 21, 2013, 12:20 AM
Much better baseball there than where you're coming from.:D

Seriously, though, I really enjoy visiting St. Louis. Almost as much as visiting Dallas. (I'm about equidistant between the two). From what I've seen, though, I'd prefer living in Dallas.

If the decision was already made, as it sounds like yours could be close to, I could learn to like it. There are some really nice neighborhoods in the area. Good food, though the BBQ is...different. Just stay on the West side of the Mississippi.

TheSaint
April 21, 2013, 12:23 AM
It is a beautiful state. The Ozarks are some of the most gorgeous spots in the U.S. I loved my travels through there. The weather can be very muggy, with lots of thunderstorms. In general, the folks are very down to earth. I'd consider living there.

jerkface11
April 21, 2013, 12:24 AM
There's a bridge in Branson where you have to drive on the wrong side of the road! Plus traffic circles!!!

Outlaw Man
April 21, 2013, 12:37 AM
There's a bridge in Branson where you have to drive on the wrong side of the road! Plus traffic circles!!!
Traffic circles/roundabouts are getting unreasonably common in Little Rock. Not a good thing with our drivers, either. I once saw someone back up in one because they missed their turn. There's no way they could handle that bridge in Branson.

Just a few miles north of that bridge is the big Bass Pro Shops, and there's a Cabela's west of St. Louis. I haven't been to any, but I'm sure there are some good local gun stores. The state, overall, is very gun friendly.

Zeeemu
April 21, 2013, 12:55 AM
"did you live close to Cassville?"

I've been to Cassville. It's not far from Shell Knob, SW of Springfield. I was born at home in Mt. Vernon at the beginning of WWII. Spent my teenage years living just east of Springfield. Lots of great memories from my time there. Hunted, fished and camped the area. Drove the two lane Rt-66 to St. Louis in my 1949 Ford Coupe when I was 17 and saw I-44 being built. Joined the Air Force and returned to attend college. After all these years, crossing the Mississippi and driving past the arch always makes me feel that I've once again returned home. Now living in the east but my heart will always be in Missouri.

griff383
April 21, 2013, 01:00 AM
Im actually from much farther north than St Louis so the "cold" will be more than tolerable. The job would be west of St Louis proper about 10 miles so moving further out where some land could be had might not be such a big commute. Not sure Im looking forward to the humidity though...

MICHAEL T
April 21, 2013, 01:14 AM
Just move to Ky Sooner or latter you would any way . Were way better than Mo.

okiewita40
April 21, 2013, 01:25 AM
the 4 state area is nice. Hit BPS in Springfield when you come down.

vamo
April 21, 2013, 01:48 AM
I live in the stl area, firearm laws a pretty lenient here. My only real gripe is the ccw class is a tad expensive and long, but once you've taken it you're good to go. You mentioned it would be the st louis area as the possible location it goes without saying avoid living on the Illinois side of the river at all costs.

As far as shooting locations I like busch wildlife (state park) 3 bucks for an hr of range time, or 25 clays on the shotgun range is hard to beat. Theres a few private ranges in the area too, which are usually in the neighborhood of $10 per hr without a membership. I don't know of any range that has targets further than 100yds out, but I haven't really looked.

As far as hunting goes thats not really my thing but even if you live in the middle of downtown st louis you are less than an hour from the middle of nowhere, and as far as I know most public lands allow hunting.

PS There has been a recent controversy about the state sharing a list of ccw holders with the feds at this time people are still fighting over semantics and theres a question as to what if any federal agency actually received the list in a readable form. The director of the dept of revenue actually resigned over this so I would think whatever allowed for the sharing will be going away shortly.

edit: Oh, and destructive devices aren't legal here so leave the bazooka, before the move.

BigBore44
April 21, 2013, 01:58 AM
Advice, stay rural. I live in Northeast OK. But I travel to Missouri and Arkansas often. The farther away from the city you are, the less liberal it becomes. Country folks just seem to be more "neighborly" in my opinion. +1 for communities, not cities.

Missouri has some AMAZING turkey and deer hunting. Pretty decent fishing also.

fanchisimo
April 21, 2013, 02:09 AM
Avoid East St. Louis, across the river in Illinois. That's where most of the crime and trouble is from what I hear.

BeerSleeper
April 21, 2013, 08:32 AM
Proximity to the People's Republik of Illinois is the primary drawback.

The further away from St. Louis you can get, the better it is.

Texan Scott
April 21, 2013, 08:42 AM
I've been there five times... Stay away from St Louis (I don't like big cities in general) and as far southwest as you can. Away from the river, the weather seems better.
Rural Missouri is gorgeous. It's a lot like the Tyler area, nature wise.

TheSaint
April 21, 2013, 08:49 AM
I'll second what Texan Scott just said. I've been up and down MO, and for the most part, the state is beautiful with low crime and a relaxed lifestyle. In the metro Saint Louis area you better watch out where you're at. There are parts of the city that are VERY run down and extremely violent. Once again, 95% of MO isn't like that, so if you know where to avoid the hotspot warzones, it is a gorgeous state to live in and honestly, some of the most friendly folks I've ever met, and I've been to 34 states. :D

zerofournine
April 21, 2013, 09:43 AM
I'm from the Springfield area, Southwest Missouri born and raised. While I grew up here, and enjoyed all the country life a boy could ever want, I thought I needed to see the rest of the U.S. after college. After living in Arkansas, New Mexico, Arizona and California, I am glad to be back home. I don't think I will ever be leaving again. The southwest and central parts of the state are a natural paradise. We have great lake fishing, hunting and hiking.

The war on meth labs has cost our state something fierce. And Yes, the recent CCW scandal marred our otherwise respectable 2A record, but it spawned a backlash that we still haven't seen the end of yet. The Missouri legislature is currently trying to pass a law that says we will ignore all federal gun laws past, present and future. Any federal agency trying to enforce restrictions on Missouri citizens gun rights will be guilty of a misdemeanor and the state will defend the citizen. They are also passing new CCW rules. You still have to take the class (8 hours) but after that you just present your paperwork to the county Sheriff, and he signs off on your carry permit. No longer do you have to go to the license bureau and get a new driver's license. It ends with the Sheriff signing your certificate. And the MO Dept. of Revenue is being punished with an overhaul. No longer will they be permitted to keep copies of your private data. They are stripping the system down in favor of citizens of Missouri.

I hope in the coming elections we can get rid of our Democratic lawmakers who side with Obama. Our state is one of a few that need to send a message to Washington.

So over all, our state has it's pro's and con's. But we have way more pro's.

tarosean
April 21, 2013, 09:44 AM
New Madrid:scrutiny:

zerofournine
April 21, 2013, 10:00 AM
One more thing. A simple word of caution.

The people of rural Missouri are the nicest you will ever meet. They mind their own business, but if you need help they will gladly offer it. It's pretty much a requirement if you see someone with car trouble, to stop and ask if they need help. When someone opens a door, they stand and let a dozen people through before they enter themselves. Manners matter here. I can't believe how rude people are in other states like California. Ridiculous. Learn to say "thank you" because you are going to be saying it often.

But I know in my part of the state, you really shouldn't mistake kindness for stupidity or weakness. We don't put up with a whole lot of nonsense. In my neighborhood, if you don't belong there, you are asked to leave, nicely the first time. In the most rural parts of the Ozark Mountains, you better obey "No Trespassing" signs. I have hillbilly relatives who would gladly show you their gun collection muzzle end first.

I was joking with a woman in California one time. She asked where we were from and I said Missouri. She said she had never been there and asked me what it was like. I asked her if she had ever seen the movie Winter's Bone. She said she had, and I said that movie might as well have been a documentary about much of rural Missouri. Ha ha. The look on her face was priceless.

420Stainless
April 21, 2013, 10:16 AM
I lived there back in the 80's. There used to be a pretty good range over in or near the Busch Wildlife Area west of the county. I don't recall if it extends out beyond 100 yards or not though. Good fishing in the lakes of the middle part of the state and in Mark Twain resevoir up north towards Iowa. Also some good fishing in southern Illinois. I'm not much of a hunter, but saw some good deer up north by the state line as well and took a lot of squirrel (fox and grey) from many of the state run wilderness areas. St. Louis has a lot of problems and ammenities common to big cities, and if you're moving from Dallas your used to those things. Traffic can suck at times, especially if you'll need to cross a bridge in your commute. It is a state that has been inching closer to blue as St. Louis and Kansas City get more and more of the voting population. The winters are not that bad, but there will be winters when the snow may stick around for a few weeks and the ponds will freeze hard enough to skate on - too cold for me.

CZguy
April 21, 2013, 10:17 AM
Just move to Ky Sooner or latter you would any way . Were way better than Mo.

You do know that you said that out loud don't you? :scrutiny:

bhk
April 21, 2013, 11:17 AM
Missouri is a great state for firearms ownership and for hunting. I believe a shooting magazine just rated us #9 for quality of gun laws, much better than Texas. Our legislature is very conservative and is on mark for making our gun laws even better (significantly) this year.

I now live quite a bit west of the St. Louis area right now, but went to high school in suburban St. Louis area and have relatives that live there now. While St. Louis itself (actually very geographically small) has a high crime rate, most of suburban St. Louis has low crime and is often rated as one of the best places in the country to live. West St. Louis County and St. Charles County are top places to live.

The Ozarks have over 2 1/2 million acres of National Forest and the best float streams in the country. Our conservation department is arguably the best in the nation. Deer regulations are liberal with no limits on does (three bucks, two with a bow and one with a gun). Turkey hunting is great. Missouri has several huge reservoirs (Lake of the Ozarks, Truman, Mark Twain, etc.) for fishing, boating, and vacationing.

There are LOTS of gun stores in the St. Louis area and several indoor ranges. The conservation department operates several outdoor ranges, some manned and some unmanned. These usually go to 100 yards. There is a private range west of the St. Louis area (Benchrest Rifle Club of St. Louis) that has many ranges on its hundreds of acres that include multiple handgun ranges, a shotgun range, and three rifle ranges (one that goes to 600 yards).

I am now retired and have the freedom to move anywhere I want. I have considered Wyoming, Arizona, Colorado, Maine, etc. In the end I have decided to spend lots of time VISITING those wonderful places and staying right here in good old Missouri. Good state!

Drail
April 21, 2013, 11:34 AM
I am from Missouri and it is a beautiful state (south of I 70 anyway) I grew up in St. Louis in the 60s and 70s and would not go back there if you put a gun to my head. Crime is bad and a lot of the cops down in the city are into some kind of power trip and don't believe that "citizens" should be able to carry.

vamo
April 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
A lot of people are saying stay rural, as far as I know the only local control of firearms in missouri is whether or not to allow open carry. Though communities do set the price for a ccw license I know of nowhere in the state it is over $100, which is a bit pricey imo, but not prohibitively expensive. From a legal standpoint you're fine living where ever, the mayors of KC and STL might complain all day about lax gun laws, but they can do nothing about it. I personally live in a conservative leaning city about 20-30 minutes from downtown STL. There are some city policies I don't agree with in STL, but none of them have much to do with guns.

Superlite27
April 21, 2013, 12:12 PM

Carry laws good?

Bench Rest Rifle Club is about an hour west of downtown. I believe they have a 600 yd range, a 100 yd range, and a pistol range. I know they hold IDPA shoots, and the membership is in the $200 - $300/yr range (or at least it was last time I checked several years ago.)

There are several indoor ranges. Three of which are:

1. Ultimate Defense in St. Peters which I am a member, and is very nice with lots of different offerings including marksmanship competitions, defensive pistol competitions, and lots of classes from beginner to advanced.

2. Bullseye in midtown, which although old, still is a quality range. I've only been there a few times.

3. On Target in Imperial, a little south. Pretty good place. Great range, but fairly out of driving range for me. Only been there twice.

Many great gun stores. St. Louis has a pretty good shooting community, and if you hit the ranges often, you'll start seeing familiar faces at different events. It's kind of cool when you go "picket" a stupid "gun buyback", and run into several other like minded individuals you know from the range. I often see folks at gun shows who look familiar. Then, when saying hello, find out they were the person in the booth next to you last time you went shooting.

The laws are also pretty good.

Missouri recognizes ALL state's CCW's.
Missouri's CCW is recognized by the most other states (I believe. I could be wrong, but it is recognized by 35, or some such.)
Castle doctrine extends to PRIVATE PROPERTY. Such as the inside of your vehicle.
Since your vehicle is considered private property, Missouri has a "peaceable journey" law. If you are lawfully allowed to posess a firearm (regardless of residency), you may carry it INSIDE your vehicle IN ANY MANNER YOU CHOOSE. Just be careful if you choose to CC inside your vehicle without a permit. One step outside, and you will be breaking the law.
"Gun Buster" signs (no guns) have no weight in law. You may ignore them at will. However, if asked to leave an establishment and you refuse, you may be prosecuted for tresspassing. (Myself, I refuse to spend my money at a place that doesn't want me there.)
Some may find it a bad thing, but it is perfectly legal to be intoxicated while armed in Missouri. However, you may not carry in an establishment that derives over 51% of its revenue from the sale of alcohol. As far as intoxicated while armed, I personally believe drunk people should not be required to die helplessly, and that if it is illegal to use a gun in a particular manner, it is illegal regardless of whether you're drunk or not, therefore why make it illegal to SAFELY and RESPONSIBLY carry while you are inebriated. (NOTICE: I did not say it was a GOOD thing. Carrying while intoxicated would probably raise many questions about judgement if you ever DID have to use lethal force while drunk, so I do NOT advocate it. So I'm just pre-empting those who are inevitably call me a kook for "saying drunk carrying is a wonderful activity". I never said that.) However, I have been at Bar-B-Ques where I've had a few too many and had to call a cab. Thank God I didn't really have to worry about becoming a criminal simply because my BAC went over .8%, and could responsibly leave my gun in its holster while I rode home instead of drunkenly fumbling with it in a parking lot trying to lock it in my vehicle hoping nobody stole it before I could make it back the next day just to be legal. (Now watch all the holier-than-thou's pile on about the irresponsibilities of even turning my eyes towards a picture of a bottle of beer while armed.) Stuff it. I'm from Missouri. Don't like it? Change the law.

As far as wildlife, outdoor activities, and hunting....Missouri is pretty good. Squirrel season opens May 22nd. Deer (firearm) is usually the two weeks prior to Thanksgiving. (Bow) is Usually from Sep 15th to Dec. 31st. We have early "Youth" Turkey and Deer seasons for the kids and a couple of black powder seasons. Dove season is Sep 1st.

There are many Conservation/Wildlife areas including August Busch which is only about 1/2 hour west of downtown. Mark Twain Lake which is about two hours North, and many others.

As far as crime, I have to admit St. Louis is pretty far up on the list. Lot's of shootings on the North Side. As with any city, staying clear of the bad areas cuts your chances of violent encounters down pretty much. However, I can't say that areas other than North County are just fine. There were a couple of shootings in Schnuck's Grocery store parking lots in several nicer areas of town. Denny's in St. Charles. A couple in O'Fallon which is usually a pretty safe place. However, crime is everywhere. If you use your head and keep your situational awareness, St. Louis isn't any more dangerous than any other highly populated city.

I hope I've provided some useful information. Remember, this is just my opinion. However, I love Missouri and have grown pretty fond of the St. Louis region.

Oh yeah, we have some pretty good baseball, too.

vamo
April 21, 2013, 12:25 PM
I will say that one thing I do not like is businesses are free to prohibit guns in their parking lots. As in not even unloaded in a locked trunk, if you're a patron no biggie you'll be asked to leave at worst. However, I work for such a company, I don't want to lose my job just because somebody saw something in my trunk, or if my car was broken into and I reported it.

il.bill
April 21, 2013, 01:18 PM
There is a great zombie thread on THR that goes back over 10 years. Check it out for info on St. Louis area gun shops and shooting: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=527&highlight=st+louis+gun+shops.

we are not amused
April 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
The only problem with Missouri is that it is full of Missourians!:D

Okay, just kidding, other than their driving habits, Missourians aren't half bad, and where else can you find a liquor store that also sells guns? (or was it a gun store that sold booze?)

fanchisimo
April 21, 2013, 02:11 PM
We are not amused,

You just don't like our driving habits because we have hills and curves in Missouri instead of straight, flat roads that are always next to a corn field. Lol.

460Kodiak
April 21, 2013, 02:13 PM
Heat, humidity, insects, and more humidity

BSA1
April 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
Ditto. The drivers in Missouri are horrible!!!

vamo
April 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
We are not amused,

You just don't like our driving habits because we have hills and curves in Missouri instead of straight, flat roads that are always next to a corn field. Lol.

I beg to differ Missourians think what this state has counts as hills and curves. Trust me drive around the Appalachian region and you'll know the difference.

ErikO
April 21, 2013, 02:27 PM
Or he was driving in St Louis. ;)

Love it here, just a couple of steps to seeing everyone equal here in the eyes of the law.

fanchisimo
April 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
Trust me drive around the Appalachian region and you'll know the difference.

I have driven through them and I know the difference. We have hills, the Appalachians are mountains. :D

SabbathWolf
April 21, 2013, 03:54 PM
I have family in Missouri and Kansas both.
I HATE St Louis.....and I'm not fond of KC either.

Bad Andy
April 21, 2013, 04:10 PM
I live in the Ozarks. Love it here, except in the summer. Great hunting, fishing, floating, hiking and camping. I work for the USFS as a Seasonal Ranger in the Rocky Mountain States during the summer. I hate the summer humidity here. Bugs, snakes, poison ivy and humidity. In my opinion St Louis sucks. Most of us down here would like to give St Louis to Illinois and KC to Kansas. St Louis is full of Liberal nutbags. Missouri is one of those states that is SOLID RED except for the urban areas, St Louis, KC and Columbia, the I70 corridor. Down here in the Ozarks, a man can still live free so long as you're not hurting someone else, you can do your thing without being hassled.

Drail
April 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
Yup. The Ozarks are the best thing in Missouri. I spent a lot of my youth down there. Table Rock in the 70s was cool.

Kim
April 21, 2013, 05:14 PM
I was in the Cassville area with a guy. We went in a quick stop to buy
some items. He was asked to leave not because he had a gun on his hip but the ole no shirt,no shoes no service!! I thought it was funny. He did not. I think the guy in the store was just jealous cause he looked great without the shirt!!!

Deltaboy
April 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
Pretty state got kin in Springfield. I never been to St Louis but I have been warned more than once to stay away.

wow6599
April 21, 2013, 05:32 PM
Lot of crime in St. Louis.

St. Louis city only has around 300,000 residents; St. Louis County / Metro area has around 3,000,000 residents. All of the crime rate statistics are skewed because of the small population of the city, but large population of St. Louis County.

From Wiki - "On August 22, 1876, the city of St. Louis voted to secede from St. Louis County and become an independent city"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_County,_Missouri

Missouri is an outstanding state. Just stay away from parts of St. Louis (northern STL) and you will really like.

UKWildcatFan
April 21, 2013, 08:34 PM
It's a great state, lived here 30+ years, in West suburbs. Illinois sucks in general, but you don't go there in less you wanna lap dance. St. Louis is made up of very tight, small neighborhoods. Good hunting, fishing, great place to rise a family, carry a pistol, and watch baseball. KC is good if you're into fat chicks.

Walt622
April 21, 2013, 10:19 PM
I am a displaced Californian, living in the Ozark's for 20 years now. It's a great place! Just remember, when driving, if you see a car with its signal light on, figure it was left on at the factory!:neener:

marksg
April 21, 2013, 10:39 PM
Check out the conservation departments "Outdoor Missouri " map. Lots of conservation areas that offer hunting.

Clippers
April 21, 2013, 10:44 PM
You guys are forgetting the greatest part of Missouri, thats the northern third. We live the good old country life up here and only travel down to KC or St. Louis if we have to. I do love Missouri, but I could move anywhere in the Midwest and enjoy it just as much. Just as long as I'm not near a large city, I'm happy.

PRD1
April 21, 2013, 10:51 PM
there is Mark Twain's story of the little girl whose family was moving to that state - she went out into the yard and said:

"Goodbye trees, we're goin' to Missouri!"
"Goodbye house, we're goin' to Missouri!"
"Goodbye God, we're goin' to Missouri!"

But Twain corrected himself, and said that her final statement was actually:

"Good, by God! We're goin' to Missouri!"

PRD1 - mhb - Mike

kimberkid
April 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
Ever since Sany Hook things have taken a turn for the worse as far as gun rights in MO.

Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms - Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons

Missouri Democrats introduced an anti-gun bill which would turn law-abiding firearm owners into criminals. They will have 90 days to turn in their guns if the legislation is passed.

Here’s part of the Democratic proposal in Missouri:

4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:

(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;

(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or

(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations.

5. Unlawful manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale, or transfer of an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine is a class C felony.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/02/14/missouri-democrats-introduce-legislation-confiscate-firearms-gives-gun-owners-90-days-turn-weapons#ixzz2R9cjIWRi

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/02/14/missouri-democrats-introduce-legislation-confiscate-firearms-gives-gun-owners-90-days-turn-weapons#ixzz2R9c15U00

wow6599
April 21, 2013, 11:27 PM
Ever since Sany Hook things have taken a turn for the worse as far as gun rights in MO.

Not even close to being true! Your links are from 2/14, and got laughed out of the house . We (Republicans) have a super majority and NOTHING anti has even come close to being passed. Get your facts straight before you start rumors about our great State.

But, this just got passed by the House (115-42)

"Second Amendment Preservation Act"

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills131/biltxt/intro/HB0436I.HTM

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?13404-Missouri-s-2nd-Amendment-Protection-Act-Holy-Crap!

SabbathWolf
April 22, 2013, 01:53 AM
Not even close to being true! Your links are from 2/14, and got laughed out of the house . We (Republicans) have a super majority and NOTHING anti has even come close to being passed. Get your facts straight before you start rumors about our great State.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?13404-Missouri-s-2nd-Amendment-Protection-Act-Holy-Crap!
I hope a lot more states do the same thing. That's awesome!!!!!!

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t532/479WAbd/Smilies/529eb8d6_zpsb6a90a43.gif

vamo
April 22, 2013, 01:57 AM

Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms - Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons

You do realize republicans have a super majority in both houses and that legislation was going nowhere from the start? Just because someone from a very liberal part of the state wants to introduce a terrible bill doesn't mean it has even a glimmer of hope of becoming law.

As a matter of fact pro gun bills have received far more support since the events of December, though it does not remain clear if they would get enough support to override a veto by our democratic governor,

Cee Zee
April 22, 2013, 03:09 AM
I live in the St. Louis burbs for a while back in the early 1980's. The only thing bad about it was the mosquitoes. They were horrible where I was staying. They're about 3 times the size of the type we have in eastern Kentucky and their bite is "far" worse.

Of course my first month in the area was spent living in a campground / swamp during the worst heat wave in 100 years. People were dropping like flies. Ordinarily living in a tent wouldn't bother me at all for the few months I was supposed to be there working. But the heat and the skeeters drove me into a cheap motel (which was one with hourly rates because there was nothing else). Eventually we rented a house from some bikers who wanted us to provide a keg for a party every weekend. That worked out real well - not.

So many of my memories of the area aren't so good but I also have some really good memories. Like people taking our whole crew in to stay in their house on one of the worst of the hot days. We just met those people in a bar and 6 of us ended up spending the night in their house. We got to spend a week in another house where the people were on vacation at the time because it was the gf's parents house of one guy on our crew. The parents knew of course and were totally cool with it. The people treated us well actually. Except when we drove through town. Almost every time we drove through town a Caddy full of gang bangers would pull up next to us and follow us side by side until we got out of the area. That was one of the first times I realized that sometimes carrying a gun and risking jail was better than getting caught with your pants down. Luckily those days are over. I rarely ever carried a gun in the car in those days especially in a strange town but I felt like I needed one there. And whatever you do, don't drive down along the river on the west bank right in the middle of town. It was like a war zone when I was there. The only exception was the route to the arch. They kept that pretty well cleared of problems. But wow if you went south off the first exist across in MO. It was like a battle ground really. Once was enough for me you can bet on that.

I've been back once or twice since then and it looked like nothing had changed much. I drove across MO to Kansas and the people were very nice out in the rural areas. But the rural areas were big spaces so don't forget to fill up on gas whenever you can. I know things have grown up since then but there are big areas without much around. We found that out when we just took the scenic route wandering the country side. We had taken a coon hound back to a place in Kansas where my brother had ordered it and we were interested in the hunting areas in the state. It appeared to me that you really needed to know the landowner well and get solid permission to hunt there because things were so flat if your coon hounds got off the property where you were hunting the owner of the farm you went to would surely know you were there. Most places it's legal to retreive your dogs but we didn't really know about MO. We hunted in Kansas anyway.

kimberkid
April 22, 2013, 09:57 AM

I'm in Kansas and had only heard about the dem's had been up to.

Thanks for the correction and update ... after seeing Colorado fall to the dems was shocked to hear what was going on in MO but not too suprised because of the liberals concentrated in KC and St Louis and know how they can sway state politics.

Our governer signed a 2nd Ammendment Protection act last week ...

jrdolall
April 22, 2013, 10:05 AM
The fact that someone "introduced legislation" means that there is at least one Liberal in the state government.

I lived in Missouri for 2 months many years ago and I cannot advise anyone to move there. It may be the coldest place in the world! Holy Crap it was cold! A biting wind and maybe 100 below zero every day. The people were nice but did I mention it was COLD?

Arkansas Paul
April 22, 2013, 10:36 AM
This is enough reason to move to St. Louis right here. Best pizza on the planet. lol

http://www.pirronespizza.com/

Drail
April 22, 2013, 10:44 AM
Yes indeed. About the only thing I really miss from St. Louis is the food. Some truly great places to eat in that town. Especially all the Italian places up "on da Hill".

303tom
April 22, 2013, 10:46 AM
Greatest State in the Union, but you don`t want to live in the St Louis area or KC area & that`s all I got to say !......................

trailgator
April 22, 2013, 11:11 AM
Hey, Josie Wales was from Missouri. ;-)

Water-Man
April 22, 2013, 11:15 AM
The weather is even worse than in Dallas.

griff383
April 22, 2013, 11:29 AM
Thank you for those that took the time to offer insight and experience. I should know next week where my hat will hang. If I am indeed headed north I think Im going to have a hard time picking a place to live, it would appear that there are many fine places to choose from.

303tom
April 22, 2013, 11:31 AM
Thank you for those that took the time to offer insight and experience. I should know next week where my hat will hang. If I am indeed headed north I think Im going to have a hard time picking a place to live, it would appear that there are many fine places to choose from.
We would be glad to have you..............

BigBoreJay
April 22, 2013, 11:31 AM
You'd be close to MidwayUSA.

Midway is half way across the state, in Columbia. And I don't think they have a showroom/sales floor, so moving to Missouri means OP would start paying tax on purchases there :(

griff383
April 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
Midway is half way across the state, in Columbia. And I don't think they have a showroom/sales floor, so moving to Missouri means OP would start paying tax on purchases there

And it was just starting to look so good....

BigBoreJay
April 22, 2013, 11:39 AM
Sorry 'bout that...;)

Papadoc1701
April 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
Midway in Columbia, mo does have order pickup area. Graf & Son's in Mexico, MO has both. Both Columbia and Mexico are approx. 35 miles apart.

For the record I was born in and live in Mo. Also, someone mentioned that we have a Democrat Gov. However he is on his second term and has signed a considerable number of pro-gun legislation without any hesitation.

gego
April 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
In one study at George Mason University, Missouri is ranked as the 7th most free state in the union.

But like all states, where there is population concentrated in big cities, there is an element that believes in government control instead of freedom. My son-in-law who lives rural describes it by saying that Missouri would be the best state to live in if we could give St. Louis to Illinois and Kansas City to Kansas.

I have lived out in the boonies in South Central Missouri since 1982 and love it. The gun laws keep getting better. We got rid of the requirement to get a security check by the local sheriff before buying a handgun (originally this was a racist law to prevent minorities from getting handguns). Concealed carry is shall issue. Many towns have open carry and are prevented from prohibiting it if they already did not when the new law was passed. In rural areas people are independent and friendly. A large number of sheriffs notified Obama that they would not allow enforcement of new gun laws in their counties. There are regular gun shows throughout the state and plenty of gun shops and pawn shops that deal in guns. Hunting is great; deer, turkey, ducks, rabbits, squirrels. And of course the ticks and chiggers hunt us. The farms in this portion of the state are mostly small scale.

I have one of my daughters who lives in the Creve Coeur / Laude area which is a suburb of St. Louis, and it is very pleasant. In that area the schools are good, the crime is low, but the traffic is not fun when compared to the rural area where I live, and their property taxes seem high to me.

You could do a lot worse that Missouri.

Sniper66
April 22, 2013, 01:51 PM
I visited St Louis a lot and it's an OK city, as cities go, but if you like rural, stay away from St. Louis; too big, too spread out, too many people, too much crime. Also have family in Springfield and spent a lot of time there. Better than St Louis in terms of access to rural areas. Someone mentioned Cassville...one of my best friends lives there. Good area for rural access. Politics in Missouri are....well....curious. I don't get the liberal bent one sees as issues arise, given the conservative leaning of most of the dual population. Hunting and shooting is mostly good in Missouri. yep...you could do worse than Missouri.

Zeeemu
April 22, 2013, 01:58 PM
"Not sure I'm looking forward to the humidity though..."

Yep, August can be tough but my year in San Antonio tells me Summers will be easier to take than in Texas. You'll get used to it. :)

SabbathWolf
April 22, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hey, Josie Wales was from Missouri. ;-)
Yep, but he lived in a rural area and didn't like St Louis either....lol

trailgator
April 22, 2013, 05:05 PM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by trailgator
Hey, Josie Wales was from Missouri. ;-)"

"Yep, but he lived in a rural area and didn't like St Louis either....lol"

I bet Captain Redleg would've liked St. Louis.

SabbathWolf
April 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by trailgator
Hey, Josie Wales was from Missouri. ;-)"

"Yep, but he lived in a rural area and didn't like St Louis either....lol"

I bet Captain Redleg would've liked St. Louis.

Hard to say for sure.
I had family on both sides of that war.
Crazy world....

J-Bar
April 22, 2013, 10:29 PM
Missouri has water. Yes, some of it is in the air as humidity, but a fair amount is in rivers and streams. Fishing, boating, etc. Remember, Bass Pro Shops started in Missouri, and the mother ship is in Springfield. If you get tired of shooting you can fish for bluegill, bass (large and smallmouth), stripers, and trout. Deer in the fall, turkeys in the spring and fall, and waterfowl along the Missouri River, Mississipi River, and farm ponds all over the state.

I'm a transplanted Colorado native, been a Missouri resident most of my adult life, I'm content.

Texshooter
April 22, 2013, 10:38 PM
Would love to visit, but live there?

M c C a s k i l l :barf:

That being said, I am sorry for my state's contribution - jimmah cahtur

fanchisimo
April 22, 2013, 11:50 PM
I really think that McCaskill was only elected because her opponent, Todd Aiken, said some really dumb stuff before the election. I think her next opponent will knock her out.

SabbathWolf
April 23, 2013, 03:47 AM
I surprised Aiken didn't get out there and start talking about burning witches next.
That guy is a total nut ball.

wow6599
April 23, 2013, 09:46 AM
I really think that McCaskill was only elected because her opponent, Todd Aiken, said some really dumb stuff before the election. I think her next opponent will knock her out.

Yeah, Aiken was destroying her in every poll until he said women could prevent getting pregnant from being raped if they didn't want to - or something to that tune. Something like the female body has a way to "shut down" if it wants.....

The more gun friends in Missouri, the better. Come on over.......the water's fine.

eagleno49
April 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
I read some of the responses but not all. I would like to clear up why st louis gets a bad rap for the crime level. St louis is a split metropolitan area. St louis city being one part and St louis county being the other. The government is separate and so are the crime records. The city because of its smaller concentrated area that happens to cover some bad areas has a bad crime rate per capita while much of the county has good neighborhoods. Other major metropolitan cities are all one whole. I hope I was able to convey my thoughts correctly on paper. There is some great hunting and fishing here!

trailgator
April 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
St. Louis county is not bad at all. I have 2 sons and their families who live and work there. Also, there is Bass Pro and Dunn's Sporting Goods in St. Charles, and Denny Dennis's in Fenton.

vamo
April 24, 2013, 12:04 AM
St. Louis county is not bad at all. I have 2 sons and their families who live and work there. Also, there is Bass Pro and Dunn's Sporting Goods in St. Charles, and Denny Dennis's in Fenton.

Also a cabelas in Hazelwood which usually has a far better gun department than the basspro. Not that I don't also like the Basspro, but the cabelas tends to have better ammo selection and more used guns.

Great place to live imo, and don't believe everything you hear about st. louis city its safe for the most part as long as you stay away from the North side at night, the mayor is an anti, but most state gun laws preempt any of the local laws so it doesn't really matter what he thinks.

Like I mentioned above I live 25ish minutes from the city and love it I am both 25 minutes from downtown of decent sized metro area and at the same time 25 minutes from the middle of nowhere.

788Ham
April 24, 2013, 12:24 AM
I've got a very good buddy that lives in Springfield, born SO. of there someplace. Bill and I met while serving aboard the same ship in Viet Nam, one hell of a nice guy! We email one another about every day, have for several years. Bill talks about going for walks out by "The old homeplace", his Mom still lives there. I realyl had to laugh when I first met him, he told about a letter he'd just gotten from his Mom, she finally decided to get electricity to the house, and an inside toilet, something he'd never had when he lived there! Would like to go back through MO. some time, too muggy during the summer months though, it gets hot in Denver too, but humidity ain't like down there!

Cee Zee
April 24, 2013, 02:11 AM
The city because of its smaller concentrated area that happens to cover some bad areas has a bad crime rate per capita while much of the county has good neighborhoods.

This is pretty much what I said in my post. Downtown St. Louis is pretty rough but get away from the downtown area and things improve quickly. And if you live like in St. Charles you're generally in a pretty nice area. Or at least that's how things were when I was there 30+ years ago. People around town treated us very well in fact. But just driving through town on the interstate was an adventure and convinced me I needed to start carrying a gun with me.

I've been back to the area since that time I stayed there a while and it seemed to be like everything was about the same. I can still remember that drive south from the interstate along the river. Heck I've seen that street in tv shows and movies when they wanted to show a rough part of town. But again, most of my experiences in the area were very good. And all my experiences outside the city were good even though I was mostly just passing through. I did stay out of town but close to the metro area for a while and that was nice too.

Ken70
April 24, 2013, 05:06 PM
Summer weather just sucks. If you're in an AC environment, you can live with it. Make sure every place you go is air conditioned. Did I mention it's humid?

CZguy
April 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Summer weather just sucks. If you're in an AC environment, you can live with it. Make sure every place you go is air conditioned. Did I mention it's humid?

Sir, may I inquire what climate that you are used to?

vamo
April 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
Yep people do sure love to complain about the weather here. The complaints are about as bad as the weather itself. This horrible wasteland is cold in the winter and hot in the summer, imagine that.

Superlite27
April 24, 2013, 11:27 PM
Well, if you don't like St. Louis weather, just give it ten minutes. It'll change.

NorthBorder
April 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
Yea, I spent my formative years in the KC area; Boones Farm, Red Man, and the girls I drank with. Then I went and spoiled it all by heading for Leonard Wood. But one word sums up why I never want to live there again...chiggars!

Bimmer
April 25, 2013, 03:44 PM
Superlite27 had a good posting...the best place I have found to shoot outdoors is the St. Louis Benchrest Club with the website www.shootingstl.com

It is a high quality range with facilities that will host the Nationals next year as well as Pistol and 3 gun events. It stresses range safety and has separate pistol, rimfire, rifle and shotgun ranges as well as archery. The clubhouse has a lounge area and space for reloading and classroom, as well as men's and women's shower facilities.

All in all, well worth checking out.

There is also a world class shooting facility in Sparta Illinois that hosts national and world shotgun events in skeet, trap and international trap.

As mentioned by Superlite27, there are a lot of indoor facilities...some of which are brand new and state of the art in filtering/ventilation and in-between lane barriers.

Welcome and as a shooter, you will enjoy the advantages that the area provides.

Bimmer

unspellable
April 26, 2013, 10:37 AM
Any requirement to notify the officer you're carrying in a traffic stop or such like Michigan or Ohio?

Superlite27
April 26, 2013, 11:41 AM
Any requirement to notify the officer you're carrying in a traffic stop or such like Michigan or Ohio?

No. No duty to notify. However, I believe the CCW endorsement shows up on their MULES. (I might be mistaken.) If it does, I am also uncertain whether or not it shows up if you choose to get the endorsement on a seperate I.D. card instead of your driver's licence, which I do.

In either case, even though it isn't reccommended, I have chosen to inform the two times I've been pulled over (both by state troopers) and in both instances, the trooper just said, "Hmmmm. O.K."...then went about his business.

Now, if it weren't troopers, I'd probably just keep my trap shut.

Another thing about Missouri is, we do have some very professional State Troopers. I have never seen one looking unkempt, and everyone I've encountered has been nothing but polite, yet very focused on his or her JOB. I never get "opinions" foisted on me, unreasonable authoritarian thugs, or bullies with badges. Every one of them that I've ever met has been "no B.S.".

I am also no fan of the police. Most Sheriffs are merely "alright". Some are idiots. And city cops are the most inconsistent. I've encountered good city cops, but more than a fair share of "thugs with a badge".

Yeah. If I commit a traffic violation, I'll hope for a Missouri State Trooper if the lights go on in my rear view mirror. I'll trade the definite ticket from a professional who simply does his job for the pot-luck of whatever flatfoot I might get from a municipal department.

ConstitutionCowboy
April 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
I can only think of two reasons not to move to Missouri ... Oklahoma and Texas. :)

Woody

Superlite27
April 26, 2013, 11:46 AM
I can only think of two reasons not to move to Missouri ... Oklahoma and Texas.

You hate trees?

ConstitutionCowboy
April 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hey! We have trees! Not as many as Missouri, mind you, but I have 23 in my yard alone! (I had to plant them all, but ...) :D

We have big sky!:)

Woody

Bad Andy
April 26, 2013, 12:40 PM
Oklahoma is nice but screw texas. the reason it's so windy in Oklahoma is because texas sucks so hard.

BigRugerLover
April 26, 2013, 02:40 PM
If you live outside the city, Missourians seem to be relaxed about guns. Two examples: I recently saw a guy open carry in a bank in Cameron; and until last month, there was a wonderful place in Clinton called "Kreisler's" that was a drug store, liquor store, and gun shop, all in one (the drug store got bought by CSV or Walgreens and closed, though the gun shop is still going--and had a good selection of ammo!).

If you get west of the city, its a short drive to Columbia where there are lots of competitive shooting opportunities and MidwayUSA, where you can pick up heavy purchases instead of having them shipped.

Ditto to all of the comments about natural beauty and hunting opportunities.

BlisteringSilence
April 27, 2013, 01:50 AM
Might be moving to the St Louis area soon, any reason not to?

Carry laws good?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Carry laws are good, shooting ranges are multiple and available, hunting is great. It doesn't matter what discipline you want to shoot, there's a range or club to fit your need.

And I've never been somewhere that has the support for the shotgun community, as far a leagues and breadth.

If you're headed to metro STL, I'd suggest either west St. Louis County or St. Charles County. The gentrified areas of south city are cool, but you'd have to live in St. Louis.

Not to mention, you have the Cardinals!

"did you live close to Cassville?"

I've been to Cassville. It's not far from Shell Knob, SW of Springfield. I was born at home in Mt. Vernon at the beginning of WWII. Spent my teenage years living just east of Springfield. Lots of great memories from my time there. Hunted, fished and camped the area. Drove the two lane Rt-66 to St. Louis in my 1949 Ford Coupe when I was 17 and saw I-44 being built. Joined the Air Force and returned to attend college. After all these years, crossing the Mississippi and driving past the arch always makes me feel that I've once again returned home. Now living in the east but my heart will always be in Missouri.

Mount Vernon! My mom and dad still go there every year for the apple butter making days and ship me a couple of cases. It's awesome.

Traffic circles/roundabouts are getting unreasonably common in Little Rock. Not a good thing with our drivers, either. I once saw someone back up in one because they missed their turn. There's no way they could handle that bridge in Branson.

Just a few miles north of that bridge is the big Bass Pro Shops, and there's a Cabela's west of St. Louis. I haven't been to any, but I'm sure there are some good local gun stores. The state, overall, is very gun friendly.

You think they're getting bad in Little Rock, try driving through Conway. At least 15 operating circles, with many more on the way.

Also, check out this animation of the "diverging diamond" interchange layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6X23qnOtk&feature=youtu.be

cwo2lt
April 28, 2013, 01:36 AM
One of the biggest mistakes I (we) made was moving away from St. Louis. Had a good job offer in SC, took it, sold the house and been kicking myself in the butt since.

22-rimfire
April 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
I like SE MO. St Lous is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter if I have a choice of where to live. I have family there. Like most big cities, there are bad areas, but the suburbs are just fine from a crime perspective. With the rivers, it is certainly an interesting geographic location.

griff383
April 29, 2013, 11:35 PM
Officially got the word that we are not headed that way, the deal just did not have what was needed for us to pack up and move.

Its good to know that there is much support for someone to move blindly, thank you all for the information and support.

Infidel4life11
April 29, 2013, 11:38 PM
You know I like it here in Mid Mo. Life is slow people for the most part are easy to get along with. I have posted things online and lil old ladys have called me to give me a bible lesson do to my screen name of Infidel. I've had more offers to eat and go to church than anywhere in the world. Gun laws and laws in general are light and common sense. I'd live here forever if I couldn't go back home to OK.

Texshooter
April 30, 2013, 12:33 AM
Yea, I spent my formative years in the KC area; Boones Farm, Red Man, and the girls I drank with. Then I went and spoiled it all by heading for Leonard Wood. But one word sums up why I never want to live there again...chiggars!
My gosh, being from Ga I do know of chiggars!

I dated a lady from NYC that had moved here at one time.

We were talking and the subject turned to mosquitos and I told her about chiggars.

Honest to goodness, she tried to say I was bringing up something racist. Ya know, because of the pronunciation of the word?

As it turns out, she was alllll NYC - meaning everyone in the United States not from NYC is racist, bigoted, uneducated and uncaring. Very typical do as I say not as I do person. ;

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Any reason not to move to Missouri?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!