Is "The High Road" a bit lower than it was

PDA

bushmaster1313
April 20, 2013, 11:49 PM
I am disappointed by many of the posts.
Lots of rants and "Low Road" stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is "The High Road" a bit lower than it was" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
avs11054
April 20, 2013, 11:50 PM
Some people, yes...overall, no.

TurtlePhish
April 20, 2013, 11:51 PM
It's the internet. Relative anonymity and such, and everything that comes with that.

THR is still the best firearms forum I know of.

TheSaint
April 21, 2013, 12:03 AM
Overall, I've seen that most folks on here are fairly civil. There's been a few foul things here and there when people's tempers become inflamed with all the comments by the politicians/media that really get under the skin of some. While I understand their anger, we have to keep in mind that people that are on the fence about firearms should see us as a well-armed, but civilized bunch. There's no reason why we should do the anti-gunner's work by acting in an unbecoming fashion. Keep it classy folks, as my grandpa used to say. :)

Tomcat47
April 21, 2013, 12:04 AM
THR .. best Forum on the net regarding firearms and all aspects of them, up to and including rights and freedoms! (MO)

Now as far as low load road type stuff, I believe what we have witnessed here on THR as a group and in whole is:

Due to current circumstances in this country and an all out attack on freedom and liberty.....

The Bar Has Been Lowered.......... :uhoh:

And thanks to THR and its members, we will reunite to raise it back up!

Proof positive 4/17/2013 .... 54 in favor 46 against!

We must continue our progress and return this country to The High Road

orionengnr
April 21, 2013, 12:04 AM
Yes, and it's a shame.

Gallstones
April 21, 2013, 12:14 AM

Can you be a little more forthcoming with examples of what you have found to be objectionable?

bluetopper
April 21, 2013, 12:23 AM
The moderators here are aggressive enough. No need to clamp down further on members.

April 21, 2013, 12:29 AM
I think that THR is as good as it ever was.

Sure, there's the occasional 'spat', but the Moderation seems to be even-handed in the way that they handle it and THR is by far better than one of the larger firearms forums that I know of that has become darned near an "anything goes" sort of venue.

nwilliams
April 21, 2013, 12:50 AM
I don't see anything too unusual and I've been a member here for a number of years.

keep in mind that the last couple months have been incredibly stressful on many in the shooting community and that stress is bound to show up on here. Now that the threat seems to have diminished in the past couple days I think there will be more calm now.

BigBore44
April 21, 2013, 12:52 AM
Bushmaster,
By "low road" are you specifically referring to the rants about ammo and politicians?

I believe it has been a very emotional time for 2A supporters. Some handle it better than others. Even myself became overly aggitated with another member on here. But it was something i was VERY passionate about. But I believe that showing emotion (frustration and anger) is healthy. We need to be civilized in our discussions but being stoic only shows a lack of importance on the issues we face. Remember that not all members are well educated, well off, well to do. Some are millionaires execs. Some border on poverty. My belief is that all opinions matter. And we have a "Duty to inform" those that are misguided or ignorant of certain aspects of matters relating to the 2A. I always considered myself very knowledgable and educated when it came to the 2A. But I have learned so much from members. And I'm very thankful to them.

Then there are the humor threads. I believe that those are very important. We need to be able to "kick back" and "unwind" every once in awhile.

I am a fairly new member of THR. But I believe, without a doubt, that this is the absolute best 2A/Gun forum there is.

Shadow 7D
April 21, 2013, 12:55 AM
No, not really, remember, while there is NO free speech (if you check the header, I think they still have Oleg's explanation, 'this is my house, you can say anything you want, but I have final say')

THR is known for NOT having flame wars, that said, there are lively discussions, if you frequent other places, um, not nearly as lively as such would be received other places...

Don't believe me, go post a bubba mauser on one of the XXXmauserXX.XXX boards
Tell them what you're going to do next, and make sure you wear your Asbestos undies...

fanchisimo
April 21, 2013, 01:00 AM
The only gripe I have is a lot of the recent threads about low ammo and conspiracies about low ammo. Now that the legislation has failed, it'll probably return to normal. Other than that, I still enjoy the site immensely. I also like the humorous threads that show up from time to time.

Arkansas Paul
April 21, 2013, 01:11 AM
I agree that such an accusation needs to be accompanied by examples of what you mean, otherwise, we have no clue what you're talking about.

I for one, think THR is as good as I've ever seen it.
Sure there's crap i don't agree with. I just move along and ignore it. It's really not that hard.
Any time you get this many people together, there's going to be posts and threads you don't agree with. That's when you hit the back arrow and find one you do agree with.

Shadow 7D
April 21, 2013, 01:13 AM
Another thing about THR that many complain about (quietly here, not so elsewhere)
any really good examples of this disappear in MINUTES...

And finally, if you want to bitch about this, notice the little red triangle next to your online status, USE IT MORE (but not to much cause the mods do get rather grumpy over abusing it) Fixes thing VERY fast

holdencm9
April 21, 2013, 01:13 AM

:scrutiny:

Frank Ettin
April 21, 2013, 01:18 AM
A bunch of off topic posts have been deleted. Let's please stay focused.

lpsharp88
April 21, 2013, 01:27 AM
Whenever I'm curious about anything firearms related, this is the first place I turn to. Why? People here are very knowledgeable and polite with discussion. Admittedly, no place is going to be perfect, but THR is well regulated when necessary, and has done an excellent job of establishing a professional culture

HOOfan_1
April 21, 2013, 01:30 AM
If pointing out the flaws in the anti-gun agenda is "low road"....then squashing those discussions would make this a very boring and pointless site.

Grassman
April 21, 2013, 01:35 AM
I think it's a very even keel site Bushmasher1313. Nothing like malcontents to screw up a good thing. I don't get your beef? Explain?

Arkansas Paul
April 21, 2013, 01:50 AM
this site has the most heavy handed moderation I've ever witnessed

Which is exactly why a lot of us are here. If we wanted to deal with the anything goes B.S., we'd go elsewhere. Which sounds like what you may need to do.
Membership here is voluntary. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I didn't like it here, I'd go somewhere I did like instead of bitching about how it was here.

And HOOfan_1 is correct. The posts deleted weren't even on the same planet as this one. I know. One of them was mine.

CSG
April 21, 2013, 01:56 AM
I run an active forum in another field. I know what it takes (mine has been around 14 years so far). The folks running this site are doing just fine IMO.

No complaints at all. I have noticed a bit of trolling going on recently but it seems to be handled properly.

Kiln
April 21, 2013, 02:10 AM
I'm on lots of forums who are way less strict and they're a lot more fun. This site is very active though and that is why lots of us are here. Large numbers of random people in the same place increases the numbers of jerks.

That said, to have such an active member base the owners are doing something right.

Where some see jerks, I see honest people just telling it like it is.

Welcome to the real world where everybody isn't a nice person that tries carefully not to step outside the guidelines of what is socially acceptable.

leprechaun50
April 21, 2013, 08:22 AM
I will admit that I have made a couple of posts that the mods have called me out on. I will also say that they were 100% right!

As has been said before, we have read the rules when we joined and should follow them. (Myself included)

bikerdoc
April 21, 2013, 08:40 AM
See something low road, hit the report button.

I have only been a Mod 12 days, ya'all would not believe the amount of trolling, and spams that only last a few minutes thanks to vigilant members.

OilyPablo
April 21, 2013, 08:50 AM
I've had more than a few posts deleted. NEVER an attack on a fellow member, never spam, never completely off topic - more just bad lingo and attack on a politician or three. No excuses - I was WRONG for violating the rules - my emotions and anger got the best of me. So to answer the question - I think there are more than a few of us that just open up and vent when we are being attacked as innocent gun owners.

bikerdoc
April 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Pablo is right. It is not what you say, but how you say it.

BullRunBear
April 21, 2013, 09:59 AM
Haven't noticed the forum getting 'lower'. The weapons sections are as informative and helpful as ever. Disagreements seldom become disagreeable. I recently had a correction posted to something I wrote. They didn't say I was stupid, just mistaken. No offense given or taken. (It was, in fact, a stupid mistake on my part and I appreciated the poster's tact.)

The areas dealing with politics and legality are, of course, a LOT more active the last few months. While these are very emotional times (for good reason) the discussions have been more informative than just vitriolic, tempting as the vitriol is. Considering what I see elsewhere, and think to myself, these sections have been rather mild but on topic. That's a tribute to the moderators or the members showing restraint, probably both.

Jeff

LevelHead
April 21, 2013, 10:17 AM
You guys crack me up talking about the good ol' days. ;)

rbernie
April 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
This topic comes up every six months or so and it seems that posts in these threads can predictably be sorted into two buckets - the usual bunch of old timers who are never happy with anything that doesn't align with what they'd say and how they'd say it, and a handful of the newer guys who want THR to become a cage match.

Dunno why the fact that neither approach works doesn't become obvious after a while, but it never does.

Shadow 7D
April 21, 2013, 03:52 PM
WAIT
Everyone's forgotten Art's Grandma (and from the implications Art's offered, not a woman to be crossed lightly, unless you like the taste of bar soap)

Sol
April 21, 2013, 04:20 PM
Low road? Having been on the Internet since 1996 I can tell you that this forum is rated "Y7" (even more family friendly than PG-13) when compared to the whole web...in it's entirety almost.

You'll see offbeat comments and spams but this is the 'net, not a house of worship.

Steve CT
April 21, 2013, 06:12 PM
THR is a well moderated forum. A lot of information, and a wide range of opinion and point of view.

A BIG forum is a BIG target, the management and Moderation is entirely appropriate. I am a Moderator on a smaller forum, I tend to model my behavior along the lines of what I see here.

krupparms
April 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
I disagree that things are fine. And that is the problem! If your opinion is unpopular or not in line with the mod.s., your opinion is attacked & derogatory remarks are made! Alot of time it's the mod.s who are guilty of this! I don't expect people to agree with me. But as long as my opinion is leagle &rationale then I should be able to have it! That is not the case right now! There are other reasons, but I cannot discuss them in open forum! As long as things remain the same I will call it The low road! Or am I not allowed that opinion eather? If anyone wants to discuss this send a p.m. as I am not inclined to talk in open forum! JMO.

Inebriated
April 26, 2013, 03:55 PM
I've used a few forums where me and many moderators did not see eye-to-eye, and I've been a moderator on a forum... But I truly don't mind THR's heavy moderation. It keeps discussions from dissolving into name-calling and such. I think most members know that, so when someone DOES resort to stupidity, no one really feels the need to respond, because we know they'll be gone shortly. It is kind of nice, actually.

But really, go to ARFcom for a few hours... you'll be glad to be here. My ban was a blessing. lol

I have only been a Mod 12 days, ya'all would not believe the amount of trolling, and spams that only last a few minutes thanks to vigilant members.

I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY!!

I saw your name in bold and thought "huh.... coulda sworn he wasn't a mod".

bikerdoc
April 27, 2013, 10:19 AM
But really, go to ARFcom for a few hours...

We don't do forum wars here, but you are right.

I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY!!

No your not, but I am. :)

It is a tremendous amount of work to keep this thing of ours "High Road"
and without good members hitting the report button it would be even harder.

OilyPablo
April 27, 2013, 10:31 AM
The High Road does have pretty darn good mods.

Seems to me the people who crank about the mods here are mainly (not always) angry about not being able to post whatever (non-gun) political views they want. I just say there are so many other forums that you can do that on. Stick with mellow ferocity of the topic at hand on the High Road and keep on high, above the common fray.

OptimusPrime
April 27, 2013, 11:11 AM
I use THR to learn about firearms and all their details. I have learned a LOT and hope to continue. The level of expertise amongst the members here is amazing and I hope it continues forever. No complaints from this guy.

Art Eatman
April 27, 2013, 12:23 PM
I note en passant that the right to an opinion does in no way create validity for that opinion. :D

KCAce
April 27, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm another member who's been on for years and feel like THR is as good as ever. In fact, I recommend THR to shooting friends all the time as the best place to get info on shooting in all respects. I appreciate the work the mod's do, and I appreciate the other members here from whom I've learned MUCH and happily bought a few things.

KCAce

Onward Allusion
April 27, 2013, 01:02 PM
It's as highroad as ever. Sometimes, a bit too high with folks getting on their soapboxes on things like: car-guns, clearing one's own house, mental illness, drinking & carrying...etc..etc. The controversial list goes on........

Some folks need to be called out at some point. They are entitled to their opinion but when they start browbeating, of course things can get nasty. Heck, we're a bunch of hairless apes, ya know.

Lately, the anti-trolls are as rampant and that is why I think this place gives off the vibe of being a bit low sometimes. Heh, it ain't low at all... Just go to one of those fanboy or survivalist sites. We're down right Victorian!

Resist Evil
April 27, 2013, 02:06 PM
This is a good forum site. I go to others, but I visit here the most often. This place is hardly low road.

taliv
April 27, 2013, 03:49 PM
from my perspective, i haven't noticed any trend toward name-calling, insults or other generally boorish behavior. i'd say we've even gotten quite a bit better as a female-friendly atmosphere.

for obvious reasons, since the elections and sandy hook, we've allowed many threads to continue that would have received off topic infractions this time last year. and so the general mood and topics have changed. i'm hoping everyone is about ready to go back to talking about guns. i'm sure sick of politics

backbencher
April 27, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hmm. I ask questions here & the thread gets locked, or ridiculed, I ask the same question on Arfcom & get immediate help. I've not been back here for months, so let's see how my new thread goes.

bobinoregon
April 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
One of the main attractions to The High Road for me is that the moderators are good at shutting down threads that drift off topic. Every discussion about guns doesn't have to be a political statement. I also look forward to when it's more gun discussions than politics and paranoia.

Owen
April 27, 2013, 07:56 PM
backbencher, I haven't gone back and looked at your history, but your threads getting locked may have nothing to do with you, but with a series of posts that were deleted.

Some of the mods have been here for a long time, and we have seen the same topics being covered over and over so many times that we can generally predict on which page the thread will go off the rails with near clairvoyant accuracy.

Again, if a thread you started has been closed it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you, unless you received and infraction or warning for it.

PRM
April 27, 2013, 08:26 PM
It's definitely changed over the past few months. Recent events have brought a lot of emotions into play on the part of members, that's understandable. The mods also seem to be more aggressive/abrasive. Although, it's still one of the best forums out there - I, personally don't plan on posting or being on it as much as I have in the past.

Upstater
April 27, 2013, 08:37 PM
While I have a tougher than most skin, I must say it was a little disheartening to see so many posts regarding the citizens of some states being solely responsible for the elections and enacting of certain infringing gun laws, as if these pols ran on a gun rights abolishing platform and it was known in advance their agenda. Make no mistake about it, these particular states' pols were just waiting for a tragedy to happen to strike. It didn't take repubs or dems.

Shadow 7D
April 27, 2013, 08:44 PM
Lets not forget the 3 page rule...

But yeah, after a while, it just get boring to keep seeing the same ol' stuff that never goes anywhere but south...

Larry Ashcraft
April 27, 2013, 08:49 PM
Upstater, exactly. Several times I've seen posts accusing CO THR members of voting the antis in.

How exactly, do they know how I voted?

And while we're at it, why don't we divide the community a little more. :mad:

Resist Evil
April 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
I want to say that I appreciate the allowance for some political discussion at THR. Conversations solely about hardware, devoid of the human context, makes for dry reading.

JShirley
April 27, 2013, 10:21 PM
backbencher, this is a firearms forum. A thread asking for business legal advice was clearly off-topic.

John

Kiln
April 28, 2013, 05:41 AM
With great anonymity comes great ridiculousality. Yes I made up a word, welcome to the internet.

JShirley
April 28, 2013, 08:07 AM
It's nearly impossible to be completely anonymous on the internet. The trouble often comes when people are willing to say things they would not say in person.

There have been a number of members over the years who lost their posting privileges by claiming clearly untrue things about themselves.

saltydog452
April 28, 2013, 12:56 PM
I visit and occasionally contribute to a post. Unless banned, I wll continue to do so. I've made contacts that I'd rather not loose.

But 'The High Road' is now a shadow of what it once was.

salty

JShirley
April 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
Yes, everything is a shadow of what once was, by definition. :)

Creature
April 28, 2013, 02:33 PM
I have been around for a while. I do not see what the OP is seeing. Quite the contrary in fact. THR even has a commemorative knife...what more do you seek in a forum?

Perhaps you seek different pastures as you have become familiar with all the rocks on this side of the fence?

huntsman
April 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
I think this site is strong as ever, the Mods are doing a great job in a very charged climate and I've been around since the first TFL days. It's the Republic that I'm concerned about.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is "The High Road" a bit lower than it was" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!