Which 1911

PDA

buddhas
April 21, 2013, 12:43 PM
I am torn between the purchase of a Springfield TRP 1911 and a SW Performance Center 1911. I realize i may have to wait a bit to purchase the mentioned models, but that is OK at this point. It will be my first 1911.
Might an STI be a better choice ?

Does anyone in the THR family have comment,advice, experience,or an opinion on either pistol to help me in my dilemma?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WoodchuckAssassin
April 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
While I don't have experience with these two 1911's, both companies produce a very high quality product. I recommend flipping a coin, think about which 1911 you HOPE comes up, put the coin back in your pocket, and go buy a new gun. Haha!

huntershooter
April 21, 2013, 09:11 PM
I can recommend STI.
I have their 5" "Lawman" which has held up quite well, is accurate and is one of my range guns that sees use a couple times a week. The STI is a few months old and I have over 6K rds. through the gun at this time.
I have made several mods to the pistol, primarily to make it identical (in controls/safety, sights, grips, etc.) to my other range guns.
I have several Baers that are great guns that have tens of thousands of rds. downrange to date. However, the STI has been the pistol I throw in the range bag since finishing the mods/refinishing ("Melonite").

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/STI/still005.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/STI/still013.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/STI/still008.jpg

surjimmy
April 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Have had the TRP, can't commit on the STI. Get a Les Baer.

Sauer Grapes
April 21, 2013, 10:42 PM
I don't know that there is a wrong choice. The three you mentioned are solid manufacturers.
I'm more a purist, so the external extractor would be a last resort for me most likely.

tarosean
April 22, 2013, 09:54 AM
TRP is regarded as one of the best production 1911's out there.. Florida Gun Exchage sells them well under retail. If I was forced to pay MSRP thou I would probably pick up a slightly used Baer instead.

Skylerbone
April 22, 2013, 11:49 AM
I have a question...what would you like to do with it? Are there specific aspects of these few examples that attract you or is it a price ceiling you're looking at?

I have an opinion...that while both S&W and SA are known for excellent customer service, Springfield will work tirelessly to make sure you are satisfied after the sale. They will also offer a more extensive line-up of 1911s and aftermarket sight options thanks to non-proprietary cuts. Something to mull over. If STI makes a model you find appealing, I feel they would be another great choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!