Info on the Browning 1911 22lr requested.

PDA

Orion8472
April 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
How have the new Browning 1911 22lr pistols been doing? Does anyone have any information on this pistol, as well as the compact version? Looking for reports on how they have been doing in the real world. Any failures or issues to know about? Has there been any differences between the 4.25" barrel version compared to the 3.62"?

Thanks for the info!

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on the Browning 1911 22lr requested." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TEAM101
April 22, 2013, 08:38 AM
Wanted one, went to buy one, held one, no longer want one.

Orion8472
April 22, 2013, 11:10 AM
I realize they aren't built like an actual 1911, and have held one and know that, . . . but I'm needing real world reports on this pistol. Functioning, reliability, issues, etc.

eisenhower
April 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
I have one. It is the most reliable .22 auto I have ever owned. Their not cheap for what they are but you only have to buy it once.

browneu
April 22, 2013, 11:41 AM
You could look at the Rock River XT22. Similar price point built on a full size 1911 frame.

I have one and it's been great.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Teachu2
April 22, 2013, 12:13 PM
I bought one for the grandkids to shoot. The 80% scale fits little hands, and the 15oz weight is also a plus. Mine has been perfect. It's the 4.25, as I wanted the longer sight radius.

weblance
April 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
I passed after looking at them. The sights are terrible. The front sight completely fills the notch in the rear sight, so that there is no light on either side of the front sight. Fail.

Pilot
April 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
I was going to get one for my wife as she will only shoot my .22's. I have to admit, I got sticker shock as the ones I have seen are pushing $600. I decided she could shoot any of my four Ruger MK II's or CZ Kadet conversion. I may still spring for an SR22 for her though.

It does seem like a nice little pistol, however, and I guess you can justify the cost based upon the savings in shooting more .22LR, but then again we can justify anything when it comes to buying more guns. :)

Teachu2
April 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
If you want/need a full-sized pistol, this isn't it. If you want/need a 4/5 size one, it fits the bill nicely. It's not a "practice my 1911 skills with .22LR" gun. It's not a scaled-down Gold Cup, it's a scaled-down G.I., but it's a fine rendition of one. I own a Kimber 1911 .22 conversion, and it's too large for the grandkids. The Browning is too small for me.

CSG
April 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
They're cute, feel good in the hand, but there are a lot better choices IMO for less money. I ended up with the Kimber conversion kit so now I have 5 1911 .22's for the price of the kit ($320 from Brownell's). The little Browning is an expensive one trick pony.

Teachu2
April 22, 2013, 05:02 PM
How have the new Browning 1911 22lr pistols been doing? Does anyone have any information on this pistol, as well as the compact version? Looking for reports on how they have been doing in the real world. Any failures or issues to know about? Has there been any differences between the 4.25" barrel version compared to the 3.62"?

Thanks for the info!
To return to your questions, I have yet to see a post or speak to anyone who has had problems with the Brownings.

Orion8472
April 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Sounds good guys. My mother [older and has a hard time with heavier recoil spring pistols] was wanting one, . . . mostly because it is a Browning, but also because she likes the looks of it, so I wanted to get feedback on these. I guess I will say that they are generally known as being well made, reliable, but a bit costly. I'll leave it at that and see if she gets it [and she probably will].

Thanks for the info, guys.

Peter M. Eick
April 22, 2013, 06:19 PM
Have one. Love it. Accurate, reliable but the trigger is a bit heavy. Easy to shoot, but hard to shoo to shoot well because of the sights are classic style (small) and the gun is very light in the hand. It is an excellent trainer though and a lot of fun as a plinker. It is actually one of my favorite 22's for just blasting.

1KPerDay
April 22, 2013, 06:33 PM
I finally got to shoot one. Cute, felt kinda cheap and plasticky. Worked perfectly. Fun to shoot.

I prefer my "normal" size 1911 with Advantage Arms .22 Conversion upper or Colt Conversion Unit.

bigfatdave
April 22, 2013, 10:15 PM
You could look at the Rock River XT22.Rock ISLAND (AKA Armscor)
Mine is nice too, but it isn't an adorable little mousegun the way the Browning is.

I want a Browning, I just can't justify the initial cost and magazine cost - maybe those will come down at some point.

Teachu2
April 23, 2013, 05:14 PM
Or maybe Browning will discontinue it and the price will shoot up....

Coyote3855
April 24, 2013, 01:57 PM
I have one. Cute, but as others have noted the trigger is heavy and gritty. Sights are very small. The double diamond checkered grips are plastic. I wanted a 1911ish pistol to celebrate the 100 years and settled on this one. It won't replace my Ruger Standard or my KelTec PMR 30 for practical use.

Orion8472
April 24, 2013, 03:18 PM
I looked at one at Bass Pro, the other day. I found the trigger to be pretty decent, actually. Seemed to be quite 1911-ish. Maybe it is one of the better ones? As for the grips, maybe someone will make actual wood diamond grips for this pistol.

Rex B
May 6, 2013, 09:55 AM
Orion, is mom going to be OK with a single-action pistol?
I would suggest a Ruger SR22 for $200 less and DA/SA. If my mom wanted a pistol that's what I'd buy. I did buy one for my daughter for the same reasons.

But I'll buy a 1911-22 for myself. I can't resist mini-1911s.

Orion8472
May 6, 2013, 11:25 AM
She already purchased the Browning. Yes, she's fine with SA only. Mostly, she wanted it because she liked the way it looked . . . . and "because it was a Browning". She wants what she wants. My mom is a bit strange when it comes to guns. She likes having them, but is only moderately interested in shooting them. However, I will make sure that she has the first shots out of it.

rickrobe
May 21, 2013, 02:40 AM
Have 2. Love them both. The light weight works well with my arthritic hands.

Excellent craftsmanship compared to others. The extra coin is well worth it

Rick

Orion8472
May 21, 2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry, . . . should have updated this thread.

Took it to the range last weekend. Put several rounds through it. Didn't have any issues and it seemed to be pretty accurate, even with the small sights. It ran with bulk ammo, too, . . . which is a big plus. Good buy!

redterror
May 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
I have 1, it had some minor issues at 1st, but now runs 100%. it always goto the range w/me, along w/my P22.

DM~
May 21, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mine is still off to Browning to see if they can get it to shoot to point of aim and do something about the 5" groups at 15 yards... (5" is the best group i got)

I can only hope they get it right AS IT SHOULD BE for the pile of coin they cost!

DM

bannockburn
May 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
They sort of remind me of the mini-1911s Llama use to make in .380 and .22 some time back. The price on the new Brownings is right now a bit much for my budget and I think I would also wait to see if they come out with a model that has better sights (sort of like a mini-Gold Cup).

TennJed
May 22, 2013, 04:17 AM
Something I have never understood. Why SHOULD a high quality 22 cost less than other centerfire guns? A quality gun is a quality gun.

Orion8472
May 22, 2013, 09:59 AM
Agreed, Jedd. And the Browning 1911 22 seems to be a quality built firearm. Caliber really shouldn't matter. Now, because of the lower pressure of the 22lr round, SOME pistols have resorted to using cheaper materials [ie. zamak] in their construction. That would be a case where they should not bring a high price. Materials used in the Browning are good, from what I understand.

Pilot
May 22, 2013, 10:06 AM
My question is why can Ruger, S&W, Beretta, and even Browning's Buckmark subcontractor make a high quality .22LR pistol with "good" materials and charge around $300 or so for many models yet this 1911-22 has to be pushing $600 in many areas. It is almost twice the price of other quality .22's. Do you really want to pay more than you have to pay to shoot a .22 pistol?

Teachu2
May 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
The Browning 1911-22 is unique piece - it's the only 4/5 scale 1911 I'm aware of. As such, it makes a great pistol for folks who want 1911 styling but need a small grip. I bought mine expressly for my grandkids to shoot. It fits their small hands well, has minimal recoil, and mimics a 1911 very well. It's too small for me.

Will my 22/45 outshoot the Browning? Yes, in my hands. Can my grandson shoot the 22/45 as well as the Browning? Nope.

The Browning was twice the price of some .22LR handguns, half the price of others. It was, by far, the best scale model of a 1911 that would fit the grandkids (and wife, for that matter) that I could find. Mine has been 100% reliable, and I have no regrets about buying it.

DPris
May 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
Browning's Buckmark "contractor" makes both pistols.
Denis

TennJed
May 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
My question is why can Ruger, S&W, Beretta, and even Browning's Buckmark subcontractor make a high quality .22LR pistol with "good" materials and charge around $300 or so for many models yet this 1911-22 has to be pushing $600 in many areas. It is almost twice the price of other quality .22's. Do you really want to pay more than you have to pay to shoot a .22 pistol?

Why does a H&K or Sig 9mm/40/45 cost so much more than a Ruger? Plenty of center fire guns cost 2x as much as other quality center fires but it seems to be accepted. My point is there is no reason to expect a 22 to be priced and sold different just because it is a 22

Your last sentence "Do you really want to pay more than you have to pay to shoot a .22 pistol" why would you not apply it to all calibers?

Lots if people would never consider a 45acp 1911 for $550 because it is too cheap, yet that is considered too much for a 1911 22???????

Pilot
May 22, 2013, 05:30 PM
An HK is an imported pistol subject to exchange rates and a very weak dollar. Sig has similar issues, albeit many are now assembled here. They are both higher quality pistols than Ruger semis, although the Rugers are serviceable. In that example you get what you pay for. My point is that for close to $600 you can get an all steel target pistol rather than a plinker. I LIKE the Browning 1911-22, but for me it is not worth $600. I can buy a more accurate, nicer Buckmark, made by the same subcontractor for half the price.

TennJed
May 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
An HK is an imported pistol subject to exchange rates and a very weak dollar. Sig has similar issues, albeit many are now assembled here. They are both higher quality pistols than Ruger semis, although the Rugers are serviceable. In that example you get what you pay for. My point is that for close to $600 you can get an all steel target pistol rather than a plinker. I LIKE the Browning 1911-22, but for me it is not worth $600. I can buy a more accurate, nicer Buckmark, made by the same subcontractor for half the price.
I may have misunderstood you then. You don't think the browning is a $600 gun quality wise. The caliber is irrelevant. My point is that a gun should not cost less just because it is a 22.

Pilot
May 22, 2013, 06:22 PM
I may have misunderstood you then. You don't think the browning is a $600 gun quality wise. The caliber is irrelevant. My point is that a gun should not cost less just because it is a 22.
I understand what you are saying. I think a typical .22 plinker should cost less than a quality centerfire pistol. I would not want to pay HK, Sig, or even Beretta, or Glock prices for a Ruger MK III or Buckmark, and I don't think the 1911-22 is any better made or a better pistol than the MKIII or Buckmark.

Browning is over charging for these because they can. The market, for now, wants a unique little, quality downsized 1911. It is worth what the market will pay. Whether it can sustain that price point is another matter.

Teachu2
May 22, 2013, 09:08 PM
I understand what you are saying. I think a typical .22 plinker should cost less than a quality centerfire pistol. I would not want to pay HK, Sig, or even Beretta, or Glock prices for a Ruger MK III or Buckmark, and I don't think the 1911-22 is any better made or a better pistol than the MKIII or Buckmark.

Browning is over charging for these because they can. The market, for now, wants a unique little, quality downsized 1911. It is worth what the market will pay. Whether it can sustain that price point is another matter.
The few that have made it to dealers here have all been sold, leaving Buckmarks, SRs, and M&P 22s still in stock. The market, at least here, has yet to react equilibrium. There are no Mark IIIs to be had, either.

There is a Kimber rimfire in the $1100 range, though....

Everyone has different wants, needs, and desires. The Browning 1911-22 is not my first choice to shoot, but it will see plenty of use from the wife and grandkids. I still might have bought it, just 'cuz it's so darn unique. OK, ok, it's CUTE...there, I said it!

Orion8472
May 22, 2013, 09:12 PM
My mom really didn't care about the price. She liked the way it looked . . . and because it was a Browning [for what that's worth]. I thought it shot quite well. Better than some [P-22, SR-22], not as well as others [my Mark II]. Still, price wasn't really a part of the equation, and fortunately, it ran quite fine!

Jed Carter
July 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
Sights are tiny, I get pretty good hammer bite, shoots and runs well enough to be a back up pistol. Mine is the 3.6" compact, bought it used, well worth the price. Hope my wife never sees it, I never will again.

Orion8472
July 18, 2013, 11:21 AM
Sometimes, a husband needs to have secrets, . . . when necessary. Yeah, I'd keep it from her. :D

Pilot
July 18, 2013, 01:25 PM
I will say this. It is a unique pistol in the marketplace due its size and 1911 styling. It gives us another choice which is good. If I find one used at a decent price I may pick one up someday. I always wanted one of the little Llama 1911 style .22's to go with my Llama XXI .380 (same gun just in .380). They are "cute" little buggers.

Orion8472
July 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
The one my mom has shoot quite well. Takes down just like a basic 1911, which is rather fun. I recommend one if you can find one at a price that you're good with.

Speedo66
July 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
"Subcontractor" has been used in 3 different posts to describe the maker of the 1911-22 and the Buckmark.

Could someone please explain this, and let us know who this mythical company is? They seem to do good work.

Pilot
July 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
"Subcontractor" has been used in 3 different posts to describe the maker of the 1911-22 and the Buckmark.

Could someone please explain this, and let us know who this mythical company is? They seem to do good work.
Browning is a marketing, and distribution company. They don't make ANY guns. Other manufacturers make guns for them. FN in Belgium makes the Browning Hi Power, and a subcontracting firm (I don't have the name) makes the Browning Buckmark in the U.S. I forget where Browning rifles and shotguns are made, but they are NOT made by Browning.

Orion8472
July 20, 2013, 11:16 AM
That makes me wonder who is making the 1911 22lr now. :scrutiny:

danez71
July 20, 2013, 01:50 PM
That makes me wonder who is making the 1911 22lr now. :scrutiny:

The name of the company escapes me right now but its the same mfg as the Buck Marks

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=90

United States
Buck Mark 22 Pistols, Buck Mark 22 rifles and 1911-22. The facility for these firearms in just south of here in Salt Lake City.

DPris
July 20, 2013, 02:09 PM
ATI in Salt Lake City makes the Buckmarks & the little 1911/22 pistols for Browning.
Denis

Orion8472
July 20, 2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on the Browning 1911 22lr requested." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!