When Cheap Works Great

PDA

WALKERs210
April 22, 2013, 01:23 AM
Last week I purchased an older model 60 by by Marlin, from looks it shoed someone used 80-100 grit sand paper to start to rework the stock. Also the front hold down screw was missing, rear hold down screw was there but bent very far, rear sight was missing the adjustment blade. And when I dissasmbled it my best tool was an 8 lb hammer to move things around. Anyone that has as many years on them as I do know that for some reason most 22's never and I mean never get cleaned, this one was no exception either. Took me about 4-5 soaking in Nito Blast o break to start moving the crud in the weapon.
First thing was to attempt the cleanup of stock, took a while but finally got the major gouges taken care of and had to fill a couple places with wood puddy. I will openly admit that the stock is no whee near perfect but much better than what I started with. Took me almost a full day to clen up the action and then had to replace a couple sdrews also. Took the little rifle out today for a testing, last night before bed time I used both lazer sight and bore sight to just et it on target
Today I did a final assembly, put a cheap Gamo scope on it and out the back door. Must admit that I didn't a single paper target or even a soda can but hey finding a target is easy. First few round where hard to determine exactly where it was hitting. Ok then found out where the rounds were hitting so it was eazy from there. All I can say is THIS MARLIN Is hot, And shoots better than some of my high end rilfes could ever do. After reloading th 17rd mag 5-6 times I feel like I could have hit the eye of a flea at 50 yrds. So Who Says' Cheap is wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "When Cheap Works Great" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigBore44
April 22, 2013, 01:50 AM
Walker,
I too have a Model 60. Paid $60 for it at a pawn shop a few years back. Was dirty and grimy as all get out. Felt like the reviever had sand in it. Spent some serious time with some B-12 chemtool and a brush. Now I clean it every few months. But my first trip to the range I was hitting shotgun shells laid facing away from me @75 yards. It's not a pretty gun. But man does it shoot. And it cycles flawlessly. There's nothing like bringing an old gun back to life.

bluekouki86
April 22, 2013, 01:52 AM
I got a Marlin/Glenfield 75 (shorter barrel than the 60) for free. Replaced the recoil spring behind the bolt and it is still my best shooting .22

rio nueces
April 22, 2013, 07:20 AM
Picked up a 1963 made H&R single 20 gauge for $40 at a pawn shop.
It's a favorite.

Chevelle SS
April 22, 2013, 08:32 AM
I bought a Western-field semi auto 22 for $40 with a broken stock and missing a magazine tube. Ordered the tube from Numrich for $27 shipped and glued the stock back together, so I have a nice little plinker for $67.

rduchateau2954
April 22, 2013, 08:39 AM
I've got a new Marlin 60 that out shoots me every time I go to the range. Plus it does it with bulk packs of ammo. Add to that the fact that it feels like I'm dragging a pickup backwards with my trigger finger when I shoot it and it still amazes me.

I bought it so I had something to dink around with at the range when I didn't feel like being all that serious with expensive .270 ammo.

Hunterdad
April 22, 2013, 12:45 PM
I have a newer 60 and got my wife a older (1970's) Glenfield 60 and both are crazy accurate for what they are. Give me a 60 over a 10/22 any day of the week.

Randy in Arizona
April 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
:D
You are gonna hate me for this.
Some years back I went to a NMGCA mini gun show, (part of the monthly meeting) and a gentleman had a Ruger 10-22 and a model 60 for sale.
I asked how much for the Ruger, he said $75 for the Ruger and the Glenfield. Not a bad price as it had a walnut stock and no lawyer inspired drivel on the barrel.
How much without the Glenfield? I asked. $75 he sez.
I paid the $75 without any argument.
Both shot well, and such a deal!

NMGCA = New Mexico Gun Collectors Association

If you enjoyed reading about "When Cheap Works Great" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!