Question for grip makers

PDA

g_one
April 22, 2013, 01:48 PM
I have some wood - well, they're actually thick branches cut from a tree that has sentimental value to the family. The branches are from a tulip tree, so the bark is thin, but with the bark these branches are about as big around as an average Louisville slugger - definitely wider than a 1911 grip. But when I look at professional 1911 wood grips, my amateur eye sees the grain on the wood and thinks that they were cut from some huge, trunk-sized piece of wood. The limbs that I have are tough, and they've dried properly so they're not weak or rotted in any way, but again they're only about as big around as a baseball bat.

Would I be able to cut some 1911 grips from these, or is there something about woodcutting that I'm ignorant to?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for grip makers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Comrade Mike
April 22, 2013, 01:51 PM
From my limited wood cutting experience Id say give it a go. A good friend of mine used to make 1911 grips out of furniture scraps before he shipped off to the army. He never had trouble with grips formed from say a 6 x 6 x 3 block.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for grip makers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!