CNBC AR documentary this thursday

PDA

jamesjames
April 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
A CNBC documentary, "America's Gun: The Rise of the AR-15" will premiere this Thurs., Apr. 25 at 10pm ET... re-airing at 1pm ET.

I got involved with this a bit on background about three months ago (about a month after Sandy Hook) with the producer. I don't know what the final content will be, but i tried to explain that the AR was a well-designed, general purpose rifle and should not be demonized.

If you enjoyed reading about "CNBC AR documentary this thursday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigBore44
April 23, 2013, 12:04 AM
Great, I will set my DVR. I've been wondering when they were going to do this. Should either be interesting/informative, or just another "anti-gun documentary" Thanks james.

gym
April 23, 2013, 11:11 AM
I set mine also, thanks

InkEd
April 23, 2013, 11:34 AM
I hope it is a historic factual documentary but expect it to be anti-gun propaganda.

Ryanxia
April 23, 2013, 12:52 PM
If anyone finds a way to stream it online let me know, I don't bother with cable.

jamesjames
April 23, 2013, 01:23 PM
Here's a link to the cnbc.com website about the broadcast... to give you a taste of it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100606839

Grassman
April 23, 2013, 01:53 PM
I'll give it a try, no way in hell it's un biased. This will be a slam piece. Hope I'm wrong.

DeathByCactus
April 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
I hope it's at least a moderate view. I am so tired of the far left and far right. I wanna see some common sense if they get political.

AlexanderA
April 23, 2013, 02:10 PM
CNBC, unlike its sister channel MSNBC, is fairly conservative. I expect a factual documentary on the AR-15.

shaggy430
April 23, 2013, 02:12 PM
"The AR-15 is the most popular and, some would say, misunderstood, rifle in America: an estimated four million are in circulation. You can even buy one at Wal-mart, if they're not sold out. It has been used in a number of high profile mass murders, yet it is also the preferred rifle of law-abiding homeowners, hunters, and sport shooters across America."

The tag line seems fairly well balanced. Let's see if the story is.

Twmaster
April 23, 2013, 02:18 PM
After watching a couple of the videos posted at the CNBC link I'm optimistic this might be a fair representation of the gun we all love so much.

holdencm9
April 23, 2013, 03:19 PM
Sweet. Based on some of the other videos on the link, they seem to approach it fairly. Unfortunately I don't have cable, so I may have to watch at the gym. I'll have to pace myself on the treadmill :)

Arkansas Paul
April 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
I don't expect the media to be pro gun, but from watching the video on the link, at least they seem to have both sides equally represented. That's better than we usually get.

JTHunter
April 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
InkEd said:I hope it is a historic factual documentary but expect it to be anti-gun propaganda.

That makes two of us!

Twmaster
April 23, 2013, 04:39 PM
And I spotted James Yeager in a clip. (Not trying to stir any pots. Just saying I saw him)

Akita1
April 23, 2013, 05:13 PM
I'm hopeful as well - know some people over at CNBC and they seem to be decent guys. We'll see...it's the producer that drives the content; get one with an agenda and it doesn't matter who narrates the show/does the reporting.

r1derbike
April 23, 2013, 05:53 PM
Hope it is well-balanced as well, but hope it isn't a smear job or slam fest. I don't know. If I expect the worst, I won't be surprised if it is a smear job. If it turns out balanced, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Media and guns. From what I've seen, they go together like oil and water. I've just got a bad feeling about this one...

CNBCPrime
April 24, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

Our team wanted to understand the AR-15’s immense popularity on both sides of the debate and go beyond the clichés. Portraying the AR-15 negatively is not the objective of the documentary and we can reassure all owners and enthusiasts that we aren’t choosing a side. Here’s a clip from the special: http://cnb.cx/Zg19V7.

“America’s Gun: The Rise of the AR-15” premieres tomorrow Thursday, April 25th aat 10p ET/PT.

Derek Zeanah
April 24, 2013, 05:33 PM
Our team wanted to understand the AR-15’s immense popularity on both sides of the debate and go beyond the clichésI hope so. I like CNBC (and am watching it now -- it's the default here during the day, at least when not doing Boston bombing coverage during earnings season.)

But, Comcast and NBC have taken public stances that lead me to worry a bit about editorial control. IIRC NBC recently banned all ads from retailers who sell firearms, for instance.

We will know tomorrow. My fingers are crossed.

Twmaster
April 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

Our team wanted to understand the AR-15’s immense popularity on both sides of the debate and go beyond the clichés. Portraying the AR-15 negatively is not the objective of the documentary and we can reassure all owners and enthusiasts that we aren’t choosing a side. Here’s a clip from the special: http://cnb.cx/Zg19V7.

“America’s Gun: The Rise of the AR-15” premieres tomorrow Thursday, April 25th aat 10p ET/PT.
CNBCPrime,

Thank you for taking the time to join us and talk directly to us. I'm looking forward to seeing your program.

Beentown
April 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
DVR is set. We will see. I highly doubt it will not be biased but I will give it a chance.

If it were MSNBC airing it, well no one would watch it as they have no audience, but they would have the AR's doing all kinds of "evil" on their own.

Akita1
April 24, 2013, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to join CNBC Prime - this forum is true to it's name and the moderators due a great job of keeping us all truly "High Road" and on topic. I am traveling overseas but have my DVR set to record. And please send regards to Scott Wapner - he's a good man.

The_Next_Generation
April 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
Doesn't CNBC run the risk of infringing on Paul M. Barrett's copyrights for his book titled, "Glock: The rise of America's Gun" ?

Buzzsaw46
April 25, 2013, 12:31 PM
DVR set, thanks for the heads up!

fanchisimo
April 25, 2013, 12:37 PM
I like that the video showed some normal guys enjoying an AR-15, not someone who comes off as a gun nut. It's hard to demonize an everyday Joe/Jill doing something safely.

Solo
April 25, 2013, 01:15 PM
It worked with pot...

Solo
April 25, 2013, 01:16 PM
Will this be available online?

Derek Zeanah
April 25, 2013, 01:52 PM
Well, from the way they're pitching it now it sounds like it won't be that bad. If they try to be objective I'll be happy, even if they get some things wrong (hint: it's not a ".22 gauge." ;) Of course, we know what the speaker meant...)

Double Naught Spy
April 25, 2013, 01:53 PM
CNBC has a brief intro on this right now. It looks interesting.

You saw the .22 gauge as well? LOL.

26point2
April 25, 2013, 03:41 PM
Saw a clip on MSNBC (I know, but it was on at work so I stopped to watch the piece) where they had the law school student doing some 3d printing of an AR lower and magazines.

The host said he even shot one of the 3d printed AR's (in the MSNBC piece, I don't know if he is shown shooting in the CNBC documentary).

He mentioned in the MSNBC piece that less than 3% of gun crime is committed by the person that bought the gun.

It was on Morning Joe...maybe they have the clip online.

Edit: Yea, it's on the Morning Joe webpage: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3036789/. Just scroll down in the Latest Clips section and you'll see it.

R/
Craig

DeadMoneyDrew
April 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
Aye aye aye.

This is showing some promise, but the shot of the dude with the 2a tattooed onto his forearms was a bit much.

InkEd
April 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
C'mon! Hire a dude that owns one to preview it for terminology errors. .22 gauge :rolleyes:

InkEd
April 25, 2013, 10:20 PM
15 minutes into it and they have the cute blond victim of the Aurora shooting, she says "her organs came out" .... now the ER doctor is talking about how horrible the wounds were from the AR.

The STUPID doctor just said the damage done with the AR-15 couldn't be done with a shotgun. What an utter moron!

Now some Mayo clinic guy is explaining yawing.

So much for not going for the cheap shock and unbiased viewpoint.

kyhunter
April 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
:cuss:yup. 15 minutes in and im done. :barf:

InkEd
April 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
The blonde girl, who was shot, was telling the ER doctor the AR-15 shouldn't. E banned! Good for her! The doctor you can tell is an anti-2A.

Next, that idiot Yeager is going to be coming on showing one of his courses.

Think I'll change it now. So far, I would say it has "Anti-2A undertones in the narrative but gives counterpoint facts afterward." The script the narrator is reading is overly dramatic.

akv3g4n
April 25, 2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah. Now they're showing the Yeager video of him talking about shooting people if an assault weapons ban goes into effect.

I'm done now.

InkEd
April 25, 2013, 10:45 PM
Sullivan (a Eugene Stoner lackey) during the Armalite development time... "It was never designed to be a hunting rifle."

Blah, Blah, Blah... Neither was the Mauser, Springfield or Enfield. Now go into the hunting camp and try not to find at least one rifle not based on one those actions.

The snarky host is really piling it on thick.

OilyPablo
April 25, 2013, 10:57 PM
I'll pass. Boy it had promise too.

GCMkc
April 25, 2013, 11:02 PM
Most owners are like the dentist. Rational, normal, law abiding citizens.

That doctor was an idiot. A shotgun or handgun can't do as much damage as a rifle? Please.

Overall theme:
People can use an AR15 for defense, fun, and sporting purposes but its' sole purpose is for war and killing.

Pretty damn biased if you ask me.

DeadMoneyDrew
April 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
The STUPID doctor just said the damage done with the AR-15 couldn't be done with a shotgun. What an utter moron!

I didn't understand that statement either.

Am I to understand that a tumbling round will do more damage than a center of mass blast from a 12 gauge loaded with the Remington law enforcement reduced recoil buckshot that I have stashed away in my closet?

I'm no doctor but somehow I don't believe that statement.

Sol
April 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah, that wasn't slanted at all...just kidding.

r1derbike
April 25, 2013, 11:19 PM
Hi all,

Our team wanted to understand the AR-15’s immense popularity on both sides of the debate and go beyond the clichés. Portraying the AR-15 negatively is not the objective of the documentary and we can reassure all owners and enthusiasts that we aren’t choosing a side.Shock, bias, crazy individuals, incompetent doctors spouting untruths. It was apparent in the first 15 minutes that it wasn't a balanced production. I'm not surprised, however, as I expected a slamfest, weapons of war slanted broadcast. I said as much in my post before yours above, before it aired.

I have a sixth sense about sniffing-out media facades, even before they are broadcast.

Akita1
April 25, 2013, 11:25 PM
I was optimistic. Have some friends at CNBC and was hoping....stupid me.

holdencm9
April 26, 2013, 12:01 AM
Yeah I was disappointed too, really hoping for more pro-gun, sensible gun-owner exposure. But considering I was expecting it to be a complete slam fest, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Somewhere between what I hoped for and what I expected, is what we got.

Sensible, everyday guy, Dentist AR owner +1
Aurora victim saying her organs fell out -1
Same victim saying she doesn't believe they should be banned +1
Doctor saying handgun and shotgun could not have created wounds -1
Other doctor implying the AR is the only gun that can shatter bone? -1
Way too much exposure to the antics of Yeager/survivalist mindset -1
Showing that every day men and women own AR's/ take courses +1
Sullivan saying it was meant to be a machine gun/never hunting rifle -1
Cody Wilson and 3D printing potential for lower receiver (scare tactics) -1
General undertone of it originally being a weapon of war (what gun wasn't?) -1

That Diaz guy was irritating, but his nonsense was balanced out by the NSSF president, so I'll call that a wash. So, by my count -4.

fanchisimo
April 26, 2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah I was cautiously optimistic about this. I'm not really surprised about how they skewed this report.

AlexanderA
April 26, 2013, 12:48 AM
The upside is that the late-night audience for CNBC is minimal. People watch CNBC during the day, for market reports. Whoever was tuning in for this particular show already had a strong opinion on the subject.

X-JaVeN-X
April 26, 2013, 01:19 AM
I didn't catch it from the beginning, but from the little I saw (bits and pieces from second half), it looked like they portrayed it as a military born weapon and then found a couple of the more controversial 2a supporters (3d printer guy and some guy that they showed claiming he would start shooting people if Obama tried to use executive power for AWB). That was all I needed to see to know they were trying to lean in the typical anti-gun direction. Trying to portray the AR as a military only weapon and portraying AR owners as extremists or wackos.

rduchateau2954
April 26, 2013, 03:53 AM
10 mins in and they have stated that the burst option on a military version ar is "full auto machine gun" and now they just flat out said that there are no background checks at gun shows.

I'm gonna hit play, but I'm not sure for how long.

rduchateau2954
April 26, 2013, 03:55 AM
"Those are the kinds of wounds that folks in afghanistan are seeing"

I'm done, should have known better. Disgusting.

TheSaint
April 26, 2013, 03:57 AM
Comcast was allowed to merge with NBC, which was allowed to merge with G.E. Honestly, those are three of the biggest anti-freedom entities in the United States. Sad to say this, but what do you expect?

Rembrandt
April 26, 2013, 04:37 AM
Anyone that participated in this anti-gun hit piece got duped.....most owners were portrayed as fringe paranoids, those against the AR were reasonable well meaning citizens. Gun was made the object of evil, maiming, death, and destruction. Any gun owner who participated in this hit piece did more harm than good for our side.

Blackstone
April 26, 2013, 05:41 AM
It's all in the editing

OilyPablo
April 26, 2013, 06:00 AM
Hi all,

Our team wanted to understand the AR-15’s immense popularity on both sides of the debate and go beyond the clichés. Portraying the AR-15 negatively is not the objective of the documentary and we can reassure all owners and enthusiasts that we aren’t choosing a side.

Not even close. Certainly you chose a side and rode it home. What I want to know, is it willful or ignorance?

Jim, West PA
April 26, 2013, 06:14 AM
Portraying the AR-15 negatively is not the objective of the documentary and we can reassure all owners and enthusiasts that we aren’t choosing a side.

Shame on you CNBCPrime...you lied to us.

JFtheGR8
April 26, 2013, 06:59 AM
Anyone that thought this would be an honest unbiased piece of journalism is in denial of the battle American gun owners face. The lesson we need to learn is to stop funding progressive think tanks. Get involved in the school board, promote colleges that don't push a progressive liberal agenda on our children, support businesses that are run by people who share our values, take someone new to shooting to the range, etc... I'm surprised they didn't tell everyone the AR 15 is responsible for the mass extinction of unicorns. We'd really be in trouble then.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Midwest
April 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
If anyone wants a decent program about firearms, check the Military Channel for
"Triggers: Weapons That Changed the World". I saw a good one the other day about the AK47.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triggers:_Weapons_That_Changed_the_World

itchy1
April 26, 2013, 07:17 AM
Typical slanted approach. Show a couple of positive aspects about your subject to feign balance, then a whole lot of negative examples and conjecture to attack it. Any time that raging moron Yeager gets camera time, it only adds to the negative sterotype that the MSM tries to craft for all gun owners. He is the last guy we want representing us.

Bruno2
April 26, 2013, 07:17 AM
We should probably encourage Fox to do a piece on the AR. Then we could have them show all the crazy anti gunners that suggest things like dragging all NRA members out in the street to kill them. You know just the typical anti gun mentality.:barf:

Beentown
April 26, 2013, 07:35 AM
Better than I expected but it had a definite slant towards anti. Imagine if this was ran on MSNBC...an AR would have committed multiple pre-med murders on set. Nobody behind the trigger...

TarDevil
April 26, 2013, 07:54 AM
Hi all,

"...if his lips are moving!"

Hacker15E
April 26, 2013, 08:00 AM
Portraying the AR-15 negatively is not the objective of the documentary and we can reassure all owners and enthusiasts that we aren’t choosing a side.

So, now we can see the left-slant media version of "not choosing a side".

Buzzsaw46
April 26, 2013, 08:43 AM
Most of the talking heads on fox are left of center on the gun debate as well. O'reilly has on many occasions called for a gun registry and a ban on heavy weapons like the AR15. The only person I have seen on Fox that truly supports the 2nd A is Hannity.

benEzra
April 26, 2013, 09:03 AM
O'reilly has on many occasions called for a gun registry and a ban on heavy weapons like the AR15.

It takes a special kind of ignorance for O'Reilly to call a civilian non-automatic centerfire .22 a "heavy weapon."

Pilot
April 26, 2013, 09:12 AM
What did you expect it is CNBC? NBC is one of the most overtly, and covertly biased, far left networks in the U.S. Along with sister companies, MSNBC, and owner Comcast. They are power grabbers, control freaks that support far left, statist politicians with money they get from their viewers.

Research Brian Roberts, and David Cohen, both of Comcast.

holdencm9
April 26, 2013, 09:27 AM
10 mins in and they have stated that the burst option on a military version ar is "full auto machine gun" and now they just flat out said that there are no background checks at gun shows.

To be fair, I am pretty sure they said "many" of the transactions at gun shows are private sales, and don't require background checks. Not all, or most, but many. Which is technically true, but could definitely have used some clarification. And previous versions of the M16 did have full auto, so maybe they just got confused on the full auto versus burst thing? Not that it would be portrayed a whole lot better to have stated it shoots 3 rounds for every trigger pull!

Another good thing they did was show the gun shop owner who explained how the features were arbitrary and banning them was stupid, and comparing the AR to another more "traditional-looking" semi-auto rifle and that there is no functional difference.

So yeah, definitely slanted, but some people are making it out to be a total hit piece, which I don't think it was. Skewed, yes, they gave way too much air time to the extremist/wackos (and I don't even think they are that extreme, but came off that way).

ny32182
April 26, 2013, 10:38 AM
To the 99.99999% of AR owners, such as the dentist and the "girl with a gun" woman, they gave about 15 minutes.

To the Yeagers and "my organs fell out" shooting victims of the world, that you can count on about two hands, they gave the other 45 minutes.

Yeah, no bias there.

At least they got some facts right... some is better than the usual none I guess.

TennJed
April 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
I am assuming CNBCPrime has read the responses, I would like him to reply back. What is your response to the fact that you used extreme example and people telling false information and flat out lies?

InkEd
April 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't expect a follow up.

gym
April 26, 2013, 11:34 AM
It didn't change anyone's mind about the rifle or it's use. If anything it made them more aware how many people have them, weather that's good or bad remains to be seen. And that idiot who "raised an army" should have never been on TV.
It's yokels like that that give pause to "normal and undecided people".

hillbilly
April 26, 2013, 12:07 PM
I cannot believe how many folks actually "looked forward" to this thing, and actually thought that maybe, this time...THIS TIME....a national network would do something else besides a biased, agenda-driven hatchet job.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

This is what 2,459 times now?

TarDevil
April 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't expect a follow up.
Exactly. "Drive-by."

Can't imagine why he/she posted here in the first place, knowing it would be so slanted.

BigBore44
April 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
Why? That's easy. To get us to watch it. So they could slap us in the face. So they could show that facts really don't matter. To show they can do or show the public what they want. Did they completely demonize the rifle? No. But it was just barely enough for some uneducated people to say it was a balanced report. But we know it wasn't. And what's gonna happen to them? Nothing.

BullfrogKen
April 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
I didn't watch it. I didn't plan to watch it.

NBC can suck eggs. I won't even watch football on their network after what occurred during that Sunday night football commentary.

April 26, 2013, 03:15 PM
What did you expect it is CNBC? NBC is one of the most overtly, and covertly biased, far left networks in the U.S. Along with sister companies, MSNBC, and owner Comcast. They are power grabbers, control freaks that support far left, statist politicians with money they get from their viewers.

Research Brian Roberts, and David Cohen, both of Comcast.
Exactly! It's amazing to me that many gun owners are so naive. Participate in the gun haters' game, then cry foul. Remember Piers Morgan and the moron owner from Tactical Firearms in TX recently?:mad:

gym
April 27, 2013, 12:19 AM
By now you would assume that everyone that is asked by these biased media outlets would know that no matter what they say or do, or how well meaning their intentions were, it's going to end up on the cutting room floor and turn into a circus.
At this point in time unless it's being screened by the NRA or a responsible party on the side of pro 2a, or at least neutral, it isn't worth doing.
We always come off looking less than appropriate. And they are really just making fun of all the people who try to help get the truth about guns out there. They make us all look bad, some day they may need the help of a neighboor with a gun, maybe then they will get it.

The_Next_Generation
April 27, 2013, 01:36 AM
I can't believe how much they pushed the "window into America's gun culture" line! That is not what America's "gun culture" is, in fact I don't even think there is any kind of "gun culture". There are people who own firearms and that's it. Some train, some collect, and some just like to go to the range for a Sunday afternoon after church and go through a few boxes of ammo with the guys.

An equal representation, this was not :fire:

For those of you that missed the airing on primtime, here is a YouTube channel that has uploaded the entire documentary: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheJagman1971/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Also, at the end of the documentary the narrator says, "Its something more than a rifle designed for recreation, self - defense (etc. etc.)..its something more, a weapon originally designed for the fields of war." Yeah, way to go CNBC..after that closing statement there is no way I'm going to watch any NBC-affiliated programming again.

Bruno2
April 27, 2013, 01:51 AM
Has Piers Morgan left the country yet?

Blackstone
April 27, 2013, 05:02 AM
Has Piers Morgan left the country yet?
We fobbed him off to you guys for the long term :D

Pilot
April 27, 2013, 08:44 AM
I would be interesting to get a response from the OP or CNBC rep, but I doubt that will happen. They don't want honest, rational debate. They want emotional, rhetoric. In other words, lies.

TheSaint
April 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
We fobbed him off to you guys for the long term :D
I'll trade you one Piers Morgan for one Dianne Feinstein. We'll ship her FedEx Air at no extra charge.

ngnrd
April 27, 2013, 02:44 PM
Also, at the end of the documentary the narrator says, "Its something more than a rifle designed for recreation, self - defense (etc. etc.)..its something more, a weapon originally designed for the fields of war."

Like it or not, every firearm can trace its heritage to the fields of war. Every. Single. One. Some just have a closer relationship than others.

Every firearm is designed to kill. Some people accept that fact, some people are appalled by it. But denying it puts a person squarely in the Fudd camp, saying foolish things like "They won't ever come after my deer rifle or duck gun.", and "Nobody needs an AR-15. Buy a shotgun... buy a shotgun.".

But, the fact that the producers chose that particular quote to punctuate their program is a clear sign that they never intended this to be anything other than a political statement, an opportunity to continue the demonization of a scary looking tool.

The scary thing is, they're getting pretty good at it. To the casual observer, this was probably viewed as a balanced investigative piece, even though it obviously had an anti-AR tilt.

KTXdm9
April 27, 2013, 08:29 PM
I didn't bother watching. CNBC only looks centrist next to it's socialist brother MSNBC. I knew it was going to be crap from the beginning. I'm not sure why so many are surprised.

HOOfan_1
April 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
If anyone wants a decent program about firearms, check the Military Channel for
"Triggers: Weapons That Changed the World". I saw a good one the other day about the AK47.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triggers:_Weapons_That_Changed_the_World

and if anyone wants a real history of the AR...watch "High Impact:M-16"

If you enjoyed reading about "CNBC AR documentary this thursday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!