Expander issues

PDA

MagicD
April 23, 2013, 11:48 AM
Bought a used RCBS die set for use in reload .32 H&R. With new Starline brass can't get adequate expansion despite a humongous number of die adjustments.
When expansion is adequate,there is significant binding of case in the die.
Small scratch marks canbe seen and afterbullet seated small bulge below bullet incase. Will seat in revolver cylinder?

If you enjoyed reading about "Expander issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drail
April 23, 2013, 02:24 PM
It is possible that RCBS packed the wrong part with your die or a previous owner mixed up die parts (happens all the time). Call them and tell them what you're seeing. They do make mistakes but will make it right at no charge. Measure the plug on the expander and compare it to your bullet dia.

gamestalker
April 23, 2013, 05:56 PM
I just experienced the same exact thing a few days ago with new IMI brass (.357 mag.) through my RCBS expander. It was binding and by the 2nd or 3rd case it would nearly get stuck in the die. Strangest thing, I've never experienced this in all my years of reloading?

I did two things to get around it. Some of the brass i have evenly chamfered the inside of the case and just seat with belling at all, and the other thing that worked is I staggered the new brass and did every other one with already fired brass, this seemed to help quite a bit.

I tried polishing the plug because there was evidence that brass was piling up on the plug, but that didn't help at all.

GS

germ
April 23, 2013, 06:04 PM
Maybe first dipping the case mouth into mica or graphite will help?

Otto
April 23, 2013, 06:31 PM
Go here and read the first review.....http://www.midwayusa.com/product/494544/rcbs-carbide-3-die-set-32-s-and-w-long-32-h-and-r-magnum-327-federal

MagicD
April 23, 2013, 06:43 PM
Great link thanks...I jumped the gun and ordered a Redding expander,in the past had great luck with their sets though a bit spendy.
Found a great load using a favorite powder 4 gr . N340(Vihtavouri) and Hdy 85 grXTP...super clean and seems spunky but no chrono.

If you enjoyed reading about "Expander issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!