Didn't want to Hijack the Aussie thread on gun ownership

PDA

Wachtelhund
April 23, 2013, 01:18 PM
I did not want to hijack the Aussie thread on gun ownership, but this is related. I recently read some polls that said if gun registration and confiscation was implemented in the States, 65% of the people would not turn their guns in.

I also read when the new handgun laws were implemented in AU, the government figured 25% were turned in. In GB 28% were turned in. Is this true? I think the Aussies and Brits are more likely to obey confiscation laws than US residents who have a Constitution right to gun ownership. The 25% and 28% seem low, but if correct, a significantly smaller percentage of the US population would surrender their guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Didn't want to Hijack the Aussie thread on gun ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
April 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately any reply will likely be pure speculation, as those numbers are likely guesstimations at best and any real numbers would be almost impossible to track

Blackstone
April 23, 2013, 01:32 PM
By turned in, do you mean simply surrendered, or does that include those that were sold? I don't have any figures for that, as I was 6 when the handgun ban was passed. I do know of people that buried their guns. Others shipped them abroad to places like France and Switzerland.

There were rumours that there were worries of trouble in police circles because many diehard pistol fans continued to shoot their guns as the date of the ban approached.

If you enjoyed reading about "Didn't want to Hijack the Aussie thread on gun ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!