What is your favorite animal to hunt and why?

PDA

ldlfh7
April 24, 2013, 01:28 PM
Just wandering how others spend their time hunting. I like all types of hunting but find myself small game hunting most of the time. I do prefer small game hunting for one reason - its cheap. Ammo is cheap (.22 or 20ga/.410) there are lots of seasons and choices of animals to hunt and there are no bells or whistles needed.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your favorite animal to hunt and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chevelle SS
April 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Bear hunting because bear sausage tastes so good.

Pete D.
April 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
Ruffed Grouse. Why? 'Cause when I get one, I know that I have earned it.
pete

BP Hunter
April 24, 2013, 02:03 PM
Coyote is my favorite hunting animal. There is no bag limit and is year round.

CoRoMo
April 24, 2013, 02:10 PM
Elk

They are phantoms that haunt my dreams.

They are also a large bag of meat wrapped up in one hunting tag.

mcdonl
April 24, 2013, 03:05 PM
Coyote... they are far better hunters than man so they make for the biggest challenge.

Arkansas Paul
April 24, 2013, 03:21 PM
I like hunting white tail deer best myself, but I figure that's only because I've never hunted elk, moose, caribou or bear. I would love to try hunting those.

Patocazador
April 24, 2013, 03:25 PM
Ducks, doves, and deer. Ducks and doves because I love wingshooting and use my dog for retrieving. Deer hunting because they are almost everywhere and provide good sport and LOTS of meat. I love to eat the meat of all three.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll33/docjawbraker/IMG_1040web.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/docjawbraker/media/IMG_1040web.jpg.html)

Teachu2
April 24, 2013, 03:27 PM
I have hunted far more ground squirrels than anything else. Plentiful, destructive, small targets, and lots of farmers are happy to let me hunt them.

ngnrd
April 24, 2013, 03:36 PM
Ovis dalli dalli, otherwise known as Dall sheep, or Dall's sheep.

My favorite and most memorable hunt ever was a 10-day solo sheep hunt in the Chugach Mountains. It was also the most brutal. The two day hike up the mountain with a 70 pound pack was nothing compared to the two day hike back out with 150+ pounds strapped on my back. But, there's nothing like spending 10 days alone in the mountains, with only the gear and provisions that you can carry, to get a person centered. By the time I came home, the harvest was just a delicious bonus. Everybody should do something similar at least once in their life.

dirtykid
April 24, 2013, 03:41 PM
Coyotes for sure,
If I travel an-hour south, they are so despised that the township will pay me $15 for every male / $25 for females ,, then I take them home and strip-off their fur-jammies and sell the pelt for another $20-$35 each !
Pile the carcass's up and snipe the crows that come to that pile

josiewales
April 24, 2013, 04:03 PM
Whitetail Deer. Cause arhery season is the best time of the year to be out there!:)

climbnjump
April 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
Elk

They are phantoms that haunt my dreams.

Yeah, me too. There is nothing that compares to the incredible sound of a bull bugle during the rut.

JerZsquid
April 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
Squirrels aka tree rats.

Keeps my short attention span happy.

Get a nice walk through the woods, don't have to be particularly quiet, can use shotgun or 22 so my wife can come.

jrdolall
April 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
Man I have hunted almost everything in the USA from Washington to Florida and everything in between. Never done any hunting in the Northeast though.
I guess I always go back to my roots and enjoy Whitetail hunting more than anything though duck hunting is beginning to catch up. Hunting EASTERN turkeys is awesome though Rios and Merriams don't really do much for me. I have hunted them but in my experience they have been so much easier than Easterns.
Elk is a blast to hunt but it requires an investment of time that I can't do often enough to really learn to love.

Basically I enjoy having a gun on my shoulder and spending time in the woods. Alone is best for me though I enjoy the "camp" atmosphere. Come to think of it I can't think of anything I DON'T enjoy hunting.

jmr40
April 24, 2013, 05:58 PM
Depends on the time of year. Right now it would be turkey. Seriously I'd have a hard time picking one. As soon as one season starts drawing to an end I start looking forward to the next. Even get excited about small game.

An elk is on my bucket list. Living in Georgia it isn't going to be easy or cheap, but possible. I've taken deer, turkey, black bear, waterfowl and most all small game. Sheep, goats, moose, and brown bear would be nice, but realistically are out of my budget. I'll never see Africa, but I'm content with what I can hunt.

I'll probably spring for a guided waterfowl hunt in a good area someday.

oneounceload
April 24, 2013, 06:00 PM
Quail, ANY species.......best tasting game bird, IMO

jmr40
April 24, 2013, 06:03 PM
Depends on the time of year. Right now it would be turkey. Seriously I'd have a hard time picking one. As soon as one season starts drawing to an end I start looking forward to the next. Even get excited about small game.

An elk is on my bucket list. Living in Georgia it isn't going to be easy or cheap, but possible. I've taken deer, turkey, black bear, waterfowl and most all small game. Sheep, goats, moose, and brown bear would be nice, but realistically are out of my budget. I'll never see Africa, but I'm content with what I can hunt.

I'll probably spring for a guided waterfowl hunt in a good area someday.

Yeah, me too. There is nothing that compares to the incredible sound of a bull bugle during the rut.

I've been all over Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana including RMNP and Yellowstone in the summers. Seen thousands of elk there, but never heard a bugle because of the time of year. They released about 100 elk in the Smoky Mt NP, which is only a 3-4 hour drive from here. I've made a couple of camping trips there in Oct. just to say I've heard them bugle. I had an elk hunt planned for last fall, but had to scrub it at the last minute.

The Grand Baboon
April 24, 2013, 06:39 PM
Elk.

I love the terrain they (usually) call home, how ridiculously smart they are, how good they taste, and how fun each elk hunt ends up being.

I've never hunted them for anything other than meat. No bulls for me.

Takem406
April 24, 2013, 06:43 PM
Geese! I'm sad when I have to give up goose hunting to go full deer tags!

In God and Glock we Trust

CarolinaChuck
April 24, 2013, 06:46 PM
Fish... Why? They aint gamey taste'n...

Best wild game I have had in NA is Pheasant; a fine eat'n bird; makes Chicken taste like Dog...

CC

avs11054
April 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
I've been all over Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana including RMNP and Yellowstone in the summers. Seen thousands of elk there, but never heard a bugle because of the time of year. They released about 100 elk in the Smoky Mt NP, which is only a 3-4 hour drive from here. I've made a couple of camping trips there in Oct. just to say I've heard them bugle. I had an elk hunt planned for last fall, but had to scrub it at the last minute.

Not to get off topic, but go to estes park in CO the first weekend in october if you want to hear bugling. I think they call it elk fest. It is the sight, and sound, of a lifetime. Oh, and you can be mere feet from huge wild elk that are so used to humans they dont even care. Literally, im talking you could touch them.

wally247
April 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
I used to say pheasant, more so just watching my now deceased English Pointer do his thing. There was nothing like watching that dog work a trail then turn to stone. I miss that dog more than anything.

My favorite instance was shortly after I got him I had taken him out solo maybe 3-4 times before I was ready to let anyone come with us. I took him out with two of my cousins to show him off. We walked maybe a quarter mile before he had a good solid point. I stomped a little to get the birds to break and a mix of 10 or so hens and roosters came up. I had my limit of three roosters on the ground, Buddy retrieved two, and I grabbed one myself. My cousins just stood in awe at what we had just done. :)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/74_ironhead/IMG_4469.jpg

Without him around bird hunting has lost its luster. Since then I have moved around a bit and don't have the room for another "outside dog." At least I have my beagle pup to keep me company and we're starting to work on rabbits.

But right now if I were hunting anything I would go for whitetail deer.

BigN
April 24, 2013, 07:51 PM
Coyote, because there are way too many here and also because the season is 6 months long and I can use any rifle I have, don't have to stick to one caliber that's big enough or small enough.

Double Naught Spy
April 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
Hogs. Decent eating, sometimes challenging to hunt, and every one killed helps save the planet!

MCgunner
April 24, 2013, 08:10 PM
Ducks. I've been doing it a long, long time. Growing up on the Texas coast as a po boy, it was the only thing I could do that I didn't need land for. I had a 12 ft boat and a 3HP Evinrude. :D

Don McDowell
April 24, 2013, 08:13 PM
Antelope, the little buggers can drive you nuts. When you get out on foot and take them on in their territory they are an absolute blast to hunt. I really enjoy sneaking up on them to with in archery distance and poking a hole thru their rib cage with a cast handgun bullet. Flintlocks can put a whole new dimension in frustration when you go up against them. And lately the sharps rifles and paper patch have taken up most of my hunting time.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/Hunting2010004.jpg

v8stang289
April 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
My favorite are Whitetail deer because season is during my favorite time of the year to be in the woods, it can be challenging at times and they taste great.

ridgerunner1965
April 24, 2013, 09:04 PM
the majestic whitetail buck deer! in many ways the king of north american game animals.hunted by more people than probably any other animal in north america.i can walk out my back door and hunt him for over 2 months a year during various seasons for just a few dollars a year.

jim in Anchorage
April 25, 2013, 04:27 AM

My favorite and most memorable hunt ever was a 10-day solo sheep hunt in the Chugach Mountains. It was also the most brutal. The two day hike up the mountain with a 70 pound pack was nothing compared to the two day hike back out with 150+ pounds strapped on my back. But, there's nothing like spending 10 days alone in the mountains, with only the gear and provisions that you can carry, to get a person centered. By the time I came home, the harvest was just a delicious bonus. Everybody should do something similar at least once in their life. You beat me to it, even the same mt. range. Shame the Chugach are now a drawing hunt.

Bobson
April 25, 2013, 04:34 AM

My favorite and most memorable hunt ever was a 10-day solo sheep hunt in the Chugach Mountains.You beat me to it, even the same mt. range. Shame the Chugach are now a drawing hunt.I read about a Dall Sheep hunt in American Rifleman last year (I think it was AR anyway). It sure sounds like an amazing hunt.

Me personally, I don't have enough experience to have a favorite prey lol. So far, I like rabbit hunting... I think just getting out there is most of the fun, whether it's a successful hunt or not.

theblakester
April 25, 2013, 05:47 AM
I'm surprised that I'm the 2nd one to say hogs. They have potential to grow huge. They are a nuisance to land owners. They can be very smart and have crazy good noses. There is no season and you can night hunt them.

caribou
April 25, 2013, 06:17 AM
Caribou, because they can give me most anything I need, and are huntable all year round.

I am what I eat.:D

Bobson
April 25, 2013, 06:20 AM
I'm surprised that I'm the 2nd one to say hogs.
Probably only because they aren't all over America. Yet? :evil:

Seems like many people who don't live in areas infested with hogs wish they did, and most people who do wish they didn't. :p The grass is always greener, right?

Davek1977
April 25, 2013, 08:28 AM
I love hunting mule deer. I love hunting in general, but nothing gets my heart racing like seeing a wide antlered mule deer on the horizon. I grew up on a ranch that many mule deer call home. I've literally hunted them in my childhood back yard, and EVERY mule deer I've shot has been within 5 miles of my parent's house, with the vast majority taken on our land. Some consider mulies "dumber" than whitetails....and maybe, on average, thats true. However, I have hunted enough big mulies in my day to honestly believe that a big mulie is every bit as smart, if not "smarter" than a crafty whitetail.

WoodchuckAssassin
April 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
Crows. Why? Because I hate them. Haha!

MCgunner
April 25, 2013, 11:05 AM
I trap hogs. If one comes out when I'm deer hunting, I'll shoot it. If one comes in my back yard I'll shoot it. :D But, I'm sort of passionate about wing shooting and especially ducks and geese. There's so much I enjoy about duck hunting, the calling, the art of the decoy set, or just the morning in the marsh. :D

303tom
April 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
Rabbit, and if you have ever been & with a good dog you would know WHY.................

DM~
April 25, 2013, 12:13 PM
Everybody should do something similar at least once in their life.

I did, more than once...

http://fototime.com/3D1AA2E50E9626B/standard.jpg

I liked crawling through the alders or slowly walking bear trails, tracking brown bear even more, and then there's hunting caribou! (mostly because i really like the place i hunt caribou)

BUT, my fav is hunting deer in the temporate rainforest, on the islands along the coast of Alaska. I found some fantastic places to hunt those deer and never tired of hunting those spots!!

DM

Paul7
April 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Hogs, taste great, can hunt hear round, challenging, and a relatively inexpensive hunt.

Savage99
April 25, 2013, 12:41 PM
dirtykid,

You wrote: "Coyotes for sure,
If I travel an-hour south, they are so despised that the township will pay me $15 for every male / $25 for females ,, then I take them home and strip-off their fur-jammies and sell the pelt for another $20-$35 each !"

It's interesting that there is a bounty on coyotes. I have talked to farmers here in CT and NY and they like the coyote as it has rid the pastures of woodchucks!

The lack of woodchucks has ruined by favorite hunting.

I have only got a few coyotes and hunting them has not been easy, good or fun for me.

Don McDowell
April 25, 2013, 12:54 PM
Don't underestimate the coyote. They are a lot smarter than many people think. They get call smart almost instantly. So changing up calls, locations and times will up the odds of finding them.
It's been said by many a sheepman, that the only thing that for sure would of withstood a nuclear attack by Russia was the coyote. And those guys ought to know because nukes are about the only thing they didn't try, and the coyote still flourishes..

vincyr
April 25, 2013, 04:05 PM
I like hunting squirrels. Especially with a rimfire or airgun, though I admit that I have gotten lazy lately and opted to use a shotgun for most of my squirrel hunting.

Texan Scott
April 25, 2013, 04:52 PM
Axis deer. TASTY.

mnhntr
April 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
I love bowhunting whitetail. Duck hunting is a close second, and predator calling makes my top three.

toiville2feathers
April 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
Prairie Dogs! Lots of shooting, 500-600 shots a day, I use 3-4 rifles, I have 3 cooling down while I'm warming one up. shots range from 100 yrds. to 500 yrds. Its what we call the celebration of the "Red Mist Society".

Lethal Threat
April 25, 2013, 10:30 PM
Wild Hogs for sure. Year round no bag limit. And I like busting caps in their @$$.

H&Hhunter
April 25, 2013, 10:52 PM
Cape buffalo. They offer everything there is to offer in an animal that makes it a game animal. They are smart, dialed in, tough, dangerous at times and almost never react to a bullet the way you think they should. Sometimes they flop over dead from a well placed .375 round and sometimes an equally well placed .400+ round just pisses them off. I also love all of the country they inhabit from the mountains of central Africa to the plains to swamps from desert to rain forest to bush veld.

In North America it has to be elk followed by the high mountain species such as sheep and goat.

From a pure fun stand point I love hog hunting and pronghorn hunting too.

kwg020
April 25, 2013, 11:04 PM
Quail. Nothing beats a busted covey of the little buggers. Well, maybe except watching a good dog find that covey. kwg

Inebriated
April 26, 2013, 06:38 AM
Coyotes, because they're jerks.

tomrkba
April 26, 2013, 08:04 AM
Rabbits because I like to hear my dog sing.

I do like shooting prairie dogs, but that's not really hunting.

eastbank
April 26, 2013, 08:41 AM
deer and turkey,turkey and deer. eastbank.

Deltaboy
April 26, 2013, 10:45 AM
Small game and deer.

Ankeny
April 26, 2013, 11:38 AM
I like hunting elk in the smaller management areas. Huge numbers of animals, terrain ranges from moderate to difficult, see animals on a daily basis, etc. I also like to hunt pronghorn, but the license is difficult to draw.

Geno
April 26, 2013, 11:06 PM
I'm like the tiger...if it flees from me, I'm on it, and Immabe shootin' it. Last boar I hunted, I must have tracked for nearly two hours before I could get a decent shot. I am a very persistent kinda hunter. I don't know if I put the two rounds of .375 H&H through that boar for the hunt, or because I was POd that I had to pursue it that long. I have to review that hunting video from time to time. Boar are my favorite. Ram and whitetail deer are certainly exciting too, but boar get me going. Hopefully my next hunt, or one soon, will be black bear. In terms of winged game, pheasants. For varmints, woodchuck and crow. Heck, I just like hunting.

I would love to hunt cape buffalo, and warthog. Pipe dream, or possible.

Geno

gbran
April 28, 2013, 01:06 AM
While I still hunt all manner of big game, I hunt upland game birds and small game the most. I do this 2-3 times per month in the fall thru January. Quail is my favorite, especially mountain quail.

03Shadowbob
April 28, 2013, 08:29 AM
I love to hunt anything and have gone through different phases in my life. Growing up I loved rabbit and squirrel hunting since it was cheap, you had to be a reasonably good shot with iron sights on pistol and rifle, all my friends could join in and we'd hunt for hours and shoot all day. Then got into deer hunting and I love the hunting cabin comraderie with the same group of friends as much as the hunting itself. Most of us boys have been shooting and hunting together for 20+ years. Got into hogs for a while and i like their pack mentality so i can practice my cowboy shooting skills :). Now it's either turkey hunting or bow hunting for deer.
I guess it doesn't much matter to me as long as I can unplug from the rat race, relive memories and make new ones and occasionally put some meat on the table.

JERRY
April 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
wild hogs.

no season, no bag limits, no gun restriction, good eating.

Collects
April 29, 2013, 07:16 PM
Black Angus.

Tastes great when grilled.

Gunnerboy
April 29, 2013, 07:36 PM
Blacktail deer in the jungles of Washingtons coast haha, Nothing quite like almost stepping on a buck due to the dense brush.

Hokkmike
April 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
Used to LOVE groundhog hunting but the coyotes have eaten most ALL of them where I live.

H&Hhunter
April 29, 2013, 08:09 PM
Used to LOVE groundhog hunting but the coyotes have eaten most ALL of them where I live.

Sounds like you'll need to shift your passion over to yote poppin..

wyohome
April 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
Blacktail deer in the jungles of Washingtons coast haha,
Gotta agree with that. I hunted them for many years, no comparison to shooting a mulie in Wyoming.

adelbridge
May 5, 2013, 12:35 AM
White tail. Hogs are right up there as well since I can hunt them all year and at night. Used to hunt pheasant when I lived up north.

pps
May 5, 2013, 05:06 PM
Wingshooting...be it duck, goose, dove, quail, turkey. Makes for a very relaxing day with friends.

Larger game is fun too, just WAY more work.

DesertFox
May 5, 2013, 08:45 PM
Antelope. Love the spot and stalk hunt. 2nd would probably be bear on the spot and stalk, never over bait or with dogs.

As much as I love elk hunting, it is a lot of work. I put in for a bison tag this year, which I have already enlisted assistance for.

Love hunting gophers but since 22Lr is so scarce, I'm holding off so far this season.

And if I happen to be down south, either boars or nutria are an excellent way to practice dispatching vermin.

red rick
May 5, 2013, 09:53 PM
From Nov. to Jan. whitetail, Jan. to Feb. squirrels, Feb. to Mar. rabbit. I like them all.

flyingfeathers
May 6, 2013, 01:28 AM
Anything I can legally shoot. I wish some other things were legal.

Hanshi
May 6, 2013, 08:11 PM
Since I hunt exclusively (now) with muzzleloaders (flintlocks), hunting is quite different from years ago when I used modern rifles. First and foremost I like deer. I don't get to hunt exotic game so deer - black bear included - are the most interesting. So - deer. 1st

I cut my teeth on squirrels and they are probably the most fun. I use a small caliber flinter and prb. I like squirrels because you get to really HUNT and shoot a lot. Also by moving around chances at other game are a possibility. Squirrels at 2nd place but very close to deer. So - squirrels 2nd

I'm actually new to turkey hunting but see how easy it is to get addicted to it. I need a couple more seasons under my belt but already turkeys are equal with squirrels. So - turkeys 2nd also.

yzguy87
May 6, 2013, 10:33 PM
Squirrel is my favorite because of my short attention span! I do enjoy whitetail hunting and I can't wait to coyote hunt here in Ohio! I have been wanting a perfectly good reason to take my AR in Ohio's woods and coyotes fit the bill!

Coop45
May 6, 2013, 10:37 PM
Peeps?

Jaxondog
May 6, 2013, 10:42 PM
Coyote's, cause I have'nt killed one of them sneaky sucker's yet, but I know they are here. And I am persistent.lol

Captcurt
May 6, 2013, 11:16 PM
Whitetail Deer. Cause arhery season is the best time of the year to be out there!:)
This!

I start in mid September and quit in February. Last year I took 2 with a bow, 1 @ with muzzleloader, rifle and revolver. Absolutely love to hunt them.

okiewita40
May 7, 2013, 01:21 PM
I like white tail deer hunting the best. I get plenty of time in the woods and away from people for the most part. And as a bonus the wife can't nag at me when I am there.

T.R.
May 8, 2013, 09:17 PM
I prefer northern California coastal blacktails as most fun to hunt.

TR

WTBguns10kOK
May 9, 2013, 10:46 PM
Bear, because they'll still be around when the wolves get done with everything else

TexasPatriot.308
May 9, 2013, 11:32 PM
never be any greater quarry than humans, 40 years ago, they hunted me and I hunted them. the greatest cause one of you is gonna lose, animals are gonna lose in the long run, humans are on the same level as you. no greater challenge. and Uncle Sam paid me, though very little at the time.

627PCFan
May 10, 2013, 10:29 AM
Wood Ducks and Teal when they are flying like a bat of hell :D

trapper1
May 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Waterfowl

Hard to beat the first ten minutes of shooting time in a marsh

Nalgi
May 12, 2013, 01:49 PM
we can shoot ground squirrels all years long in CA so thats great practice. Big game: Archery Elk! most exciting and most bang for your buck in amount of meat

a-sheepdog
May 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
I enjoy the simple things, I like hog hunting with my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Hogs are a pest though I also eat them so its a win win situation. I do enjoy many other animal hunts, but I can hog hunt year round day or night. To me thats worthwhile.

tahunua001
May 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
my fav is deer. you get to walk around, look around, enjoy nature and if you get nothing then it's not your failure, there just wasn't a lot going on.

with elk your nature walks turns into a death march up mountainsides and if you can't get within 300 yards then you probably aren't coming home with meat and if you do get something then odds are you will be packing it out for the next 2 days in peices.

with turkeys you get to talk to them but if they don't talk back then you are pretty much stuck road hunting and what's the fun in that?

with bears you pretty much have to bait and if nothings coming in then you just wasted an entire trip sitting on your rear.

that's just my experience with hunting those big game animals... different areas may be a different story.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your favorite animal to hunt and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!