Tristar Tec 12?

PDA

barnbwt
April 24, 2013, 08:37 PM
It's billed as a Turkish clone of the Benelli M3, but with the ability to switch into pump action mode at the turn of a lever. All for <700$. My LGS got a couple in, and they sure seemed excited by them. Can't for the life of me find a real review from an owner on these newly imported shotties.

Any opinions? I'm not sure, but I think these may be the guys making or importing that funky UTS-12 bullpup.

http://www.tristararms.com/TEC-12-tactical-shotgun.php

TCB

If you enjoyed reading about "Tristar Tec 12?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
April 25, 2013, 11:00 AM
Never had much use for a repeating shotgun that didn't know what it wanted to be. 'Pump OR semi, same gun' seems to be one more answer to a question I never asked. Answers so far to that question have been the M3 and the Franchi SPAS-12, the most aptly named shotgun I can ever recall.

YMMV of course...

barnbwt
April 26, 2013, 10:50 PM
I thought the M3 was generally very well received :confused:. It's only problem was difficulty cycling light loads (I had a similar Franchi I12 with the same issue) but was very reliable and simple with hunting loads. Compared to the SPAS gas-contraption the inertia system is stupid simple and very lightweight; it just chokes on soft clays loads, and can't be cycled manually easily. The Turkish gun seemed simple enough, and the pump cycled easily. I think the knob in the pump slide basically hooks it to the charging handle and unhooks the buffer spring somehow.

Pics, in case anyone's interested in being an early adopter:
http://www.tristararms.com/ckfinder/userfiles/images/TEC%2012.jpg
Not crazy on the pistol grip necessarily, though I do believe they have their place (on a shorter barrel defense setup). If it's a good bit more reliable than the SPAS, it seems like it should be a viable contender, especially since it runs half the price of the competition, and 1/4th the SPAS ;). I recall it didn't weigh much different from a BPS they also had, although the plastic stocks felt more cheap (hollow, not flexible)

TCB

NewYork
April 29, 2013, 05:14 PM
I have the Tristar Tec 12 and have fired almost 1000 rounds through it and it does great. The recoil on it is amazing, for as light as it is I was assuming that it would take a tole on your shoulder but it actually kicks a lot less then my buddie's Remington 870 cuz that inertia semi takes most of the hit. I tried the lightest load I could find (2 3/4 dr. Eq. #8) in semi-auto to see how well it cycled and couldn't have been more impressed, it only didn't expend 2 shells out of 100 and they were both the lasts in the magazine tube. Anything heavier then that and it cycled fine. The only thing I don't like is nobody knows anything about it. As far as being able to switch between semi and pump, it actually comes in handy at the range when you're competing with someone and they think you have an advantage with the semi. All you have to do is twist the collar and everybody's happy and you didn't have to buy two different guns.

brimaddy
June 21, 2013, 10:07 PM
Just won this gun on gun auction.com, factory new for $230 dollars. Excited to say the least. My question is for New York. Have you purchased any add ons for this yet?

barnbwt
June 22, 2013, 12:47 PM
Arise, Necro-thread! Arise!

Glad to see someone finally bit the bullet (small though it may be) and took a chance on one of these. Be sure to post a full report with lots of pics for the rest of us. That has to be the deal of the year. I thought I did good with an Ithaca M37 last December for 150$, but 230$ for a ~500$ gun is ridiculous.

*sarcasm*
What kind of fool doesn't use reserve pricing in online auctions, these day? I always start at .01$ with a reserve 10% over what I would take, just like everyone else :D

TCB

If you enjoyed reading about "Tristar Tec 12?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!