Colt Official Police price?

PDA

LivewireBlanco
April 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
Found a Colt Official Police 38 at a local pawn shop. I don't know the year but the serial number is 493XXX. Lockup is tight and barrel is in excellent shape. Light surface rust like it was in a leather holster for years but most of the bluing is still on it. They have a $599 tag on it... What do ye experts say?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Official Police price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tom327
April 24, 2013, 10:26 PM
I was watching Gun broker to get an idea what my Colt OP is worth. An auction for one in good condition closed at $410.

Old Fuff
April 25, 2013, 02:08 AM
The Official Police is a great revolver, but keep in mind that it's getting harder to find new (not used) repair parts if something breaks, and fitting them requires a skilled and experienced 'smith that's qualified to work on them. Noways they don't grow on trees.

$600 ($599 + 1.00) is much more then I'd pay for one that wasn't mint/like new.

The posted serial number should be an Army Special made in 1923. Maybe it was rebarreled with a different one.

Coyote3855
April 25, 2013, 04:11 PM
OPs are excellent guns; I have a couple. $600 seems very high.

LivewireBlanco
April 25, 2013, 04:21 PM
Yeah, the serial number is too low for a regular OP. Army Special with a replacement barrel might be right. I'll see if I can't haggle down to at least the $400 mark. Thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Official Police price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!