Burrrp! Anyone else feeling OVERstocked?

PDA

GLOOB
April 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
When everyone else feels like me, the shortage will not only be over, but prices will drop thru the floor.

Due to the shortage, I decided to buy a 5k sleeve of primers and 8 lbs of rifle powder that I normally wouldn't have felt I needed.... And I also drastically reduced my shooting/reloading. Heck, I haven't had a loading session since before the holidays.

It's been so long, I don't even feel like reloading anymore, lol. So somehow I've ended up with the most amount of primers and powder I have ever had at one time.... and I'm loading and shooting less than ever! If CCI 400's went on sale today for $15.00, I don't think I would even care. :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Burrrp! Anyone else feeling OVERstocked?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1SOW
April 24, 2013, 11:42 PM
I shoot 9mm often.
I'm okay for some time on components except bullets.
No burping yet.

ohioshooter
April 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
Yep I'm good to go too

beeenbag
April 24, 2013, 11:48 PM
I'd be good for a while if I could only find some h335.

And of course some .22lr!

GT1
April 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
I am bloated also. I probably have enough supplies to last me to my final days on this rock. At least I got it all for regular pre-panic prices.
Due to my local circumstances I haven't shot 1/10th of what I planned to in 2012 and haven't had the heart to much in 2013 yet either.
Now I'm relocating and I haven't a clue when I'll have a place to reload set up again. :(

Constrictor
April 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
I look at my stock and sometimes get embarrassed. Course it's mostly stuff bought before the panic. I'm getting married in a couple months and wonder how I'm gonna explain all this stuff.

GLOOB
April 24, 2013, 11:59 PM
^GT1:
+1+1. For me, also, a recent move and other circumstances have contributed to reduced shooting and reloading. Fortunately, I also got my stuff at pre-panic prices, including my last panic-induced bite.

I probably have enough supplies to last me to my final days on this rock
Well, I suppose I could say the same. But that's cuz I have a 2-3 year supply.... based on a year where I did more shooting than most people do in a lifetime (that first year after learning how to reload). :)

KansasSasquatch
April 25, 2013, 12:24 AM
If this keeps up I'm either going to have to start swaging jacketed rifle bullets or trade a jug of powder. Plenty of powder and primers but low on most bullets. I have 100+ lbs of lead but I need to find some bullet molds.

bullethead
April 25, 2013, 01:04 AM
I have always tried to keep 2 years worth of supplies on hand. Figured it would get me thru the tough times without having to worry about cutting down on my shooting. So far it has worked out just fine.

Arbo
April 25, 2013, 01:07 AM
I think I'm good for a little while... don't have loads of money to spend so I get what I can when I can... if I pick up something each paycheck I might be good by the end of summer.

blarby
April 25, 2013, 02:29 AM
Sad part is, I cant find one thing I really want- and one thing i'm going to need as soon as possible to get ready for the fall :

HS-6, and STEEL powders.

Beyond that, life is good !

KansasSasquatch
April 25, 2013, 02:35 AM
Sad part is, I cant find one thing I really want- and one thing i'm going to need as soon as possible to get ready for the fall :

HS-6, and STEEL powders.

Beyond that, life is good !
PV has 1lb jugs of Steel in stock. They must not have any backordered on HS6 because it shows up from time to time unlike Unique, W231, and other very popular pistol powders.

Lerk
April 25, 2013, 02:46 AM
I have a full cabinet and shelf of compenents. Partially due to the panic, I picked up a bunch of different powders I had never tried before to make some loads for it in case I can't find my normal ones, I have backups. Plus it's always nice to have a selection of loads and making them is always a blast (no pun intended).

bds
April 25, 2013, 04:23 AM
I really want- need as soon as possible to get ready for the fall : HS-6, and STEEL powders.
Can't help you with HS-6 but 3rd Generation has STEEL in 1/4 lb containers - http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,3632.html

Mag_357TX
April 25, 2013, 05:23 AM
My cousin and I are planning to inventory all his guns, ammo, and reloading components over this coming weekend. We're expecting it to take a little while lol....he's got more than the average person I'll just leave it at that.

TheSaint
April 25, 2013, 05:48 AM
I have 16 lbs of powder and 24,000 primers on backorder and it has been that way for two months. I zero supplies on hand because I am a new reloader, but once it all arrives, I'm going to be good for several years. I refresh my MidSouth order page daily to see if anything comes in. :(

dap22
April 25, 2013, 07:35 AM
It's been so long, I don't even feel like reloading anymore, lol. So somehow I've ended up with the most amount of primers and powder I have ever had at one time.... and I'm loading and shooting less than ever!

Strangely enough same here. Pretty well stocked but somewhat disinterested because of the frenzy going on.

JRWhit
April 25, 2013, 08:09 AM
I've been pretty well set through all the panic. I'm not sitting on mountains of stuff, but I had enough of this that and everything else to keep loading and shooting and have bought very little since this all started. Occasionally I'll grab a pound of powder if on the shelf, or a box of bullets, but for the most part I've sorta been trying to stay clear of the madness. I've refused to go anywhere near a gun show since as I don't care much for standing room only and long lines. Hardest thing to get that I was almost out of was small pistol primers. Thought that may be it for a while but was surprised to find them locally quite easily. Just had to find the right store. Cheers to all, I think it's nearly over.

Walkalong
April 25, 2013, 08:35 AM
Not me. There are still a couple of powders I want to try, but cannot get right now. I am low on a couple of bullets I like as well, and out of one.

USMAGator
April 25, 2013, 08:36 AM
I was fortunate enough to place a sizable order of powder and primers through PV about 2 weeks before the Sandy Hook murders and the following scare, so I'm much better stocked than I would have been! Certainly not felling overstocked, but not panicked either!

sota
April 25, 2013, 08:49 AM
assuming you aren't paying through the nose for materials, I don't think you can ever get to the burp stage with consumables/disposables.

keep in mind while prices (hopefully!) come back down to pre-sandy hook values they will never STAY there. prices always go up over time. if you can afford to make the investment now in consumables/disposables then over the long term they'll pay dividends in terms of NOT paying higher prices later. not to mention the next Crisis that comes along you could "cash out" on some of those consumables/disposables.

Wildbillz
April 25, 2013, 09:14 AM
Its sort of like what the Old Sarge said back in the Army. "How many Troops can you get in a duce? Allways ONE MORE"..

There is some stuff that I am lacking but I am good to hook for the next year or so.

WB

Lj1941
April 25, 2013, 09:27 AM
:I am OK on most components,but I just got some lead hard casts for the 9.They make a good plinking load and no leading-SO FAR! I am actually shooting more now.:)

capreppy
April 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Other than Fed 205M, I am good on all my cartridges through the end of next year which is what I typically keep in stock. I have 10k on back order at MSS and have enough to last a couple of months.

I just built a 260 Rem and had powder (8# jug). Recently snagged 500 NIB RP brass, 15# more of H4350 and 1k 142 SMK / 2k Hornady 140 Amax (blems).

I can now focus on shooting and not worrying about whether or not I will have anything to shoot.

Muddydogs
April 25, 2013, 10:24 AM
I'm shooting the same if not more. Reloaded all winter and have been able to replenish my stock at pre panic prices. I might be worried if I only had 5000 primers but in the last month I have purchased well over 5000 locally. Ok I might be worried a little as I have not been able to find CCI LRM primers and I'm down to 2500.

Constrictor
April 25, 2013, 10:41 AM
I learned years ago to stay 1 election cycle ahead on components including .22 LR. Since the bullets are the most expensive part, and the easiest to get in cast lead anyways, i am happy if im only 2 years ahead on those.

rodinal220
April 25, 2013, 11:34 AM
You can never be overstocked. I will not pay the current insane prices on reloading components,thats if you can find what you need or want anyways. I currently use my reloading time to make some obscure ammo and cast lots of lead bullets,I didn't invest in gold and silver,they make terrible bullets anyways.

Piratesailor
April 25, 2013, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty well full up in 7.62.. I had a stock well before the elections and murders.

So so with 9mm. We shoot every week so for quite awhile we had a budget and bought a bit more than we shot. Left me ok, not great. Mainly for range ammo. All set on sd ammo.

Pretty dry with reloading though. Can't find primers for the life of me and by the time I get an "alert" they are gone.

bigdaa
April 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
I'm OK. Got plenty of slugs, powder and primers. Cases too.

The ammo crib is happy and I got enough to keep the fam happy at the range for way past the "catch up" date.

jim243
April 25, 2013, 01:32 PM
Primers, powders and cases, maybe a little overstocked, bullets are so so only thing short on is JHP 40 S&W bullets. But I sold off my 2 40 S&W guns, so I didn't think I would need more, well bought a Hi-Point 4095TS and guess what, now I am looking for some more bullets. It can wait till the panic passes.

Jim

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
No such thing unless you're a speculator.

rg1
April 25, 2013, 02:35 PM
I don't have nearly enough but much more than I'll probably ever need. Glad to see many others are well stocked and sympathy for new reloaders for the lack of components today and high costs. I do enjoy reloading and it bothers me when I can't get materials for my hobby. I was caught with only a couple items that I am still looking to stock up on, powders.

morcey2
April 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
I would buy powder, bullets, primers, and cases as I found them in local gun stores starting last summer. I have enough to keep me shooting for a while. I was kicking myself for not picking up some CFE 223 to try in my 8x57. I was moving stuff around in my powder cabinet last Sunday and guess what I found? A 1 lb jug of CFE 223. Now, either my wife is psychic and picked it up for me, or I bought it and totally forgot about it. :) I've found enough Clays here and there to keep me busy in shotshells and a lb of Varget a couple of weeks ago for the 7.62x54R loads. The only thing I'm running low on is IMR4064, but I think I have enough other stuff to keep me going.

Matt

returningfire
April 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
Primers? Check
Powder? Check
Boolits? Nope
Brass? Check
Shot shells? Check
Lead shot? 25lb bag $50 dang it.

jmorris
April 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Shortage, what shortage.

It wasn't the first election year I have been reloading.

Here is a photo of my bench last October.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1256.jpg

Yeah, that's 45,000 primers on the bottom right and that's just the Winchester primers I have for metallic cartridges.

I don't know about "over stocked" but I don't need anything.

Constrictor
April 25, 2013, 03:56 PM
I would buy powder, bullets, primers, and cases as I found them in local gun stores starting last summer. I have enough to keep me shooting for a while. I was kicking myself for not picking up some CFE 223 to try in my 8x57. I was moving stuff around in my powder cabinet last Sunday and guess what I found? A 1 lb jug of CFE 223. Now, either my wife is psychic and picked it up for me, or I bought it and totally forgot about it. :) I've found enough Clays here and there to keep me busy in shotshells and a lb of Varget a couple of weeks ago for the 7.62x54R loads. The only thing I'm running low on is IMR4064, but I think I have enough other stuff to keep me going.

Matt
my local gun shop has at least 20 pounds of cfe223

One78Shovel
April 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
I need H335 (down to 5 pounds now) but picked up 5# of BLC-2 in the meantime. Heard that works will in 223 as well.

-178S

oldpapps
April 25, 2013, 04:28 PM
I'm sort of OK.

I normally play with only one 'gun' at a time. After I have had my good times, it get sold or traded so I will have a new 'gun' to play with.

I was having a good time with a .300 AAC Blackout build on a PSA lower. Opened my mouth at a Christmas dinner and my son-in-laws brother said he would buy it. I figured his wife wouldn't go along, so I agreed. She didn't but his good friend had the cash. I still have the cash. I set my dealer to work looking for my new 'gun'.... Still looking. Not that it matters. Have a new granddaughter in the house. Ever try shooting 40 feet from where a new born is sleeping with out gathering the ire of a mommy?

So, all of my unused components are just setting, like me. :mad:

Vlad357
April 25, 2013, 04:45 PM
I have a pretty good supply of what I use but every time I shoot something I wonder if I will be able to get more this decade.

Last week I got 4000 9mm and .357 bullets I ordered earlier at a pretty good price. On Tuesday I was driving back to WI from a funeral in GA and stopped by the Outpost Armoury in TN. I picked up 6 pounds of assorted powder (at pre shortage prices I might add), as well as a new Lee press and some primers. Did I need them, maybe not, but I have not seen anything on any shelves or online for several months, and it makes me feel better to know I have the supplies for another 4000 to 5000 rounds.

I must complain too much because my wife encouraged me to buy these supplies while we were in the store because she says I am always complaining about not being able to find these supplies around home.

Beentown
April 25, 2013, 05:03 PM
New loader here that is fat in some aspects but emaciated in others. Doesn't help that I load 9mm, 223 and 308.

morcey2
April 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
my local gun shop has at least 20 pounds of cfe223
I got an email from my cousin that works at an LGS and he said that they're getting Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester stuff in pretty regularly. Mostly Hodgdon, but they did get some (2 x 1lb jugs) of 4064 last week, but it was gone real quick. Everyone seems to have Hybrid 100V, so I may have to pick up a couple of them.

Matt

BullRunBear
April 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
At my usual amount of shooting, I have enough ammo and reloading components for several years. Been building up the supplies since the first Obummer election. But I DO NOT think I'm overstocked, just well prepared. :D

It helps that an increasing part of my shooting is with muzzleloaders. Hard to burn through a lot of ammo with front stuffers.

Jeff

Matt Dillon
April 25, 2013, 08:29 PM
I have only one pound of H335, and can't find it or any other .223 powder in the Houston Tx area. I am going to try some 4064 to see if it works.

hentown
April 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
I have about 80k primers on hand. Wish I had 800,000. Would love to buy 50k 55gr fmjbt .223 bullets and the same amount of brass.

clutch
April 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
I used some CCI 200 primers last night that I paid 1.79/100 for. I can't remember which panic that came from. I have primers from other panics waiting their turn.

Powder is good, 36 varieties, many duplications if it is a powder I like.

tbob38
April 25, 2013, 09:28 PM
I'm good, saw this one coming after being caught a little short in 2008.

Otto
April 25, 2013, 09:37 PM
Assuming I shoot 1000 rounds a month, I'm good for the next 10 years.

KansasSasquatch
April 25, 2013, 10:32 PM
I have only one pound of H335, and can't find it or any other .223 powder in the Houston Tx area. I am going to try some 4064 to see if it works.
powdervalleyinc.com Accurate Arms LT-32

-Gadsden-
April 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
my condolences to all in this thread suffering! :p

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 11:31 PM
Sounds like time for a BBQ!

gonefishin1
April 26, 2013, 12:43 AM
umm I have plenty of brass about 10,000 primers 20 lbs of powder and if I am lucky 600 bullets... I think I need to start casting.

jfremder
April 26, 2013, 09:14 AM
I'm covered for this year's shooting, and most all my components are loaded up. I've been trying to restock components to load next year's inventory...

Mostly just waiting on Bullets and Primers, but won't need them until fall. I hope things are more back to normal by then.

bigdaa
April 26, 2013, 10:04 AM
Shortage, what shortage.

It wasn't the first election year I have been reloading.

Here is a photo of my bench last October.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1256.jpg

Yeah, that's 45,000 primers on the bottom right and that's just the Winchester primers I have for metallic cartridges.

I don't know about "over stocked" but I don't need anything.
So, THR is the place where the Big Dogs run!

Beanie-Bean
April 26, 2013, 10:29 AM
Components are good here. I actually put in an order for more MTM Case Gard boxes. I'm pretty much covered for 2013, and have some interesting powders to run some tests with for all of the calibers.

Good luck to those on the hunt. Remember to always pick up something (box of ammo, sleeve of primers, 1 lb. bottle of powder, extra ammo boxes...) when you have the opportunity to do so once the prices level off and availability returns to normal.

jack44
April 26, 2013, 12:07 PM
I cant even find a 40 cal die set you people are to much!.

Peter M. Eick
April 26, 2013, 06:54 PM
I am in good shape. Maybe another years worth of supplies till I am tapped down. I don't figure I will start buying again until 3rd quarter sometime. I hate to tap it completely out but I would like to rotate it out though. Some of my c-34 primers are almost 10 years old now.

788Ham
April 27, 2013, 12:52 AM
I'm sitting pretty for now.... still want a couple lbs. of powder and another 1500 LSWC bullets for the .38. I'm just waiting for this crappy weather to break so I can get to the range and bust a cap or two! Won't get caught like I did this last time, have a couple other friends keeping an eye peeled for me. Good luck guys! :cool:

thump_rrr
April 27, 2013, 05:52 AM
I've only been shooting and reloading for 2 years now so I don't have the stockpiles some of you have.
I have on hand 6,000 small pistol, 4,000 small rifle, 4,000 large benchrest, and 2,000 large pistol primers.
I try to only buy components at regular or reduced prices and as far as primers go I've been pretty successful considering I found the SPP's for $26.00/1,000 in January.

I would like to get my primers up to a minimum of 10,000 per type over the next year.

I have at least 10 lbs of each rifle powder in stock but I'd like to get that to 24lbs per type.

I'm starving in only one area and that's in projectiles.
I have 1,000 .30 cal SMK's but only 1,000 .224 55gr FMJ's.
I have no pistol bullets since I reload them all during the winter for the following year.
I ordered 2 crates or 12,000 Hornady 55gr FMJ-WC but I doubt they will come before 2014.
My club has plenty of pistol bullets so I don't worry much for the moment.

Sgt. Stiglitz
April 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
I'm good to go.......31K of Primers, 36lbs of powder, bullets for everything and several hundred pounds of lead wheel weights and linotype if things get really bad! Oh, 14K of quality .22 LR.......Bought all mine before the crazyness. Old gun locker makes a good powder magazine.

I am bloated also. I probably have enough supplies to last me to my final days on this rock. At least I got it all for regular pre-panic prices.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/Sapo60/DSCN0831.jpg

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/Sapo60/DSCN0833.jpg

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/Sapo60/DSCN0834.jpg

Arbo
April 27, 2013, 01:08 PM
I'm glad many are bloated. Hopefully they quit buying stuff since they are bloated so there is stuff for those of us that are not bloated.

thump_rrr
April 27, 2013, 02:08 PM
I'm glad many are bloated. Hopefully they quit buying stuff since they are bloated so there is stuff for those of us that are not bloated.
The bloated are in the position that they are in because they do not stop buying as long as the price is right.
One member at our club bought 100,000 small pistol primers and 50,000 .40 cal bullets.
Why did he do it?
Because he can afford to do it and he got a great volume discount.

Arbo
April 27, 2013, 02:22 PM
Which is part of the reason prices are still up and availability is still low.

gab909
April 27, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sorry to the haters, but we are not the ones buying in this panic. If you must complain, please go to any auction site and complain to the gougers. We are merely prepared, well stocked for what we do. 90 dollars for a pound of Varget.... Yeah that seems about right.

Sgt. Stiglitz
April 27, 2013, 04:59 PM
90 dollars for a pound of Varget.... Yeah that seems about right.

Bought an eight pounder of LilGun before the Panic, got it for less than a $100.00. Now the same thing goes for almost $150.00.

Arbo
April 27, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sorry to the haters, but we are not the ones buying in this panic. If you must complain, please go to any auction site and complain to the gougers. We are merely prepared, well stocked for what we do. 90 dollars for a pound of Varget.... Yeah that seems about right.
What a confused mess. It was suggested that if those that were 'overstocked' were no longer buying, that would be good for everyone else, the response to that was that those who are 'overstocked' are still buying. Um, either they are, or they are not. If they consider themselves 'overstocked' and are still buying, then they are hoarding and adding to the problem.

Nobody is hating, so that tactic of attempting to demonize is a failure.

gab909
April 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
Personally I am not buying just to buy, but if the Items that I need and like are available, I will for sure pick up an 8 pounder or 5K primers. Reloading components and grocery shopping are pretty much the same to me. I have two freezers and they are full of meat and other essentials. I have storage for the materials, so I am purchasing in bulk for the savings. I am not sitting on 32 pounds of Reloader 25 because that was all I could get. Just like my freezer is not full of Roadkill, because it was there and if times got bad enough, I would eat it. That being said, I would never have over 24 pounds of a single powder for a specific caliber. Even 16, except for maybe Varget and Unique, but those are pretty much universal powders for me. Let me know if anyplace has 24 pounds of either for a reasonable price.

Constrictor
April 27, 2013, 06:35 PM
Those that are well stocked or overstocked are zero part of the problems. we have had our stuff for years, adding slightly every year to keep supplies up. We stock up for shortage AND price. We just laugh when the prices on primers go up even 5% and refuse to pay it. I would guess the normal overstocked shooter is actually helping the problem now by refusing to pay the current pricing.

Walkalong
April 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
That's about it. I could not have said it better myself, but.........

...... if this stays on the path of, it's your fault, no it's your fault, it won't last much longer. ;)

GW Staar
April 27, 2013, 07:45 PM
That's about it. I could not have said it better myself, but.........

...... if this stays on the path of, it's your fault, no it's your fault, it won't last much longer. ;)

:) The predictable and not so veiled warning!

My 2 cents and worth every penny......probably only to me.:) This is temporary.... Unless Obama and his lemmings make it permanent. (Read, outlawing sales) If that happens, all the stashes may eventually become hangman's nooses. People will be unloading the stuff and the authorities will be making bon fires, and putting "deviants" in jail. A lot of money will go up in the bon fires won't they?

I hope with you all that that won't happen, but I'm going to continue putting most of my money into food not ammo, and anything I can spare goes to the NRA. If we win.......it'll be them that win for us. Maybe there's a small minority who want to buy high and gouge others willing to buy even higher....for such....a good worthwhile thing to do with your loot is to give it to the NRA.:D

I have a couple of lbs of powder & a couple of 1000 count boxes of primers of each type I use. I'll shoot it up with my Grandkids before the year is over. But, you folks who like to store a lot....all powder to you (pun intended). Shooting and reloading is a way larger part of your whole life's experience than it is to me, so I don't begrudge you your stashes. That said, I've bought a 50 round box of Nosler 308 bullets, and a 100 round box of Hornady plinkers in the same caliber since January. (last week) Primers? One box of 1000 Sm. Rifle CCI's....unfortunately not APS. (they aren't making any until all you folks are burping up the regular kind)....maybe in 6 months or so. I'm patiently waiting. Meanwhile I shoot about the same as usual....maybe waste less making noise with the AR's.

wgaynor
April 27, 2013, 07:52 PM
I cant even find a 40 cal die set you people are to much!.
Jack, I just found a bunch on ebay with a simple search.

Yarddog
April 27, 2013, 09:00 PM
I got 4 9mm JHP bullets, 3-22LR & 1-00 Buck shot.. I'M Set ; ) PS Darn them Boats
Y/D

TheSaint
April 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
The bloated are in the position that they are in because they do not stop buying as long as the price is right.
One member at our club bought 100,000 small pistol primers and 50,000 .40 cal bullets.
Why did he do it?
Because he can afford to do it and he got a great volume discount.
Wow, that's a lot. Where did he get them from that was willing to give him a huge discount for such a large order? Also, what time was this? Pre-SH, or post? Some more details would be appreciated. I'm a first-time reloader and am having a hard time getting an order of 24k primers filled, much less four times that amount. :O

dg803
April 27, 2013, 09:26 PM
I have been buying a box of factory ammo on the even weeks of the month for the past 23 or 24 years. On the odd weeks I buy reloading components. Stockpiling, no. Preparing yes. I didnt start reloading until this month. I bought in anticipation of times like we just went through. Not hoarding just being prepared. :uhoh:

Peter M. Eick
April 27, 2013, 09:33 PM
The problem you get into with buying in bulk is meeting the fire code. We bought 70,000 primers and had to divy them up between neighbors and friends to get everyone down to fire code. Now that we figured out how to do it, our next order will be 100,000 primers between the 3 of us with Pro2000's.

50,000 bullets is a reasonable order. I have done a few of those myself.

wgaynor
April 27, 2013, 09:57 PM
Components are available here at the same price they've always been. Sometimes you have to go to the store earlier than usual to beat the rush, but it's not that bad. Even the small gunshop that is closest to me (it's always hard to get stuff there when the buying frenzy is on) has plenty of AR's at pre panic price, powder, some primers, brass, projectiles, and bullets (including .223, 9mm, .30-.06, and 7.62x39). I feel the end is near for this time around.

Now, I am anxious to see who learns and prepares, or who will go through this again with the same mindset of not being prepared.

TheSaint
April 27, 2013, 09:58 PM
@Peter M. Eick:

Could you answer the same exact questions I asked in my previous post aimed at thump_rrr? Where did you get them, when, etc? If I could find a couple of locals who are interested in doing likewise, I might put something together. Thanks for any advice you can give on bulk ordering. :)

cwo2lt
April 28, 2013, 01:52 AM
I'd be good for a while if I could only find some h335.

And of course some .22lr!
What is up with the run on 22LR?? Did they stop making it or cut back production?

Found a couple of sealed boxes of Stingers. Price tag was still on them, $2.44!

Reefinmike
April 28, 2013, 02:07 AM
I havent spent a dime on anything during the panic, in fact ive made some good money to set aside for components when they come back to normal. I periodically pick up 223 brass at the range and sell it on armslist for a fair price(110/k during full swing panic, $90 most recently)

Regardless, I do powder valley orders twice a year, june and december. I was barely able to get in my planned order of 10k primers and 5lb powder dec 26th. I have enough ammo on hand to do my normal weekly shooting for six months. Enough primers and powder to last another 6 months. Once a month I run down the road and collect about a half bucket of lead wheel weights from the local tire shop. I usually shoot into a trap so i never loose my lead. As long as im able to get my tula primers for normal $21/k price by late june I'll be happy. I can hold out until 2014 with my normal shooting but I certainly expect things to bounce back by then

thump_rrr
April 28, 2013, 09:25 PM
Wow, that's a lot. Where did he get them from that was willing to give him a huge discount for such a large order? Also, what time was this? Pre-SH, or post? Some more details would be appreciated. I'm a first-time reloader and am having a hard time getting an order of 24k primers filled, much less four times that amount. :O
First of a I'm in Canada and the USA requires export permits and Import permits for anything firearms related.
This prevents Americans from easily getting their hands on reloading components or ammunition from Canada.

The other thing is that American companies which sell firearms, ammunition, and/or reloading components to Canadian or other international distributors have agreements in place which they still need to respect.
I know for a fact that regular shipments are coming in from some bullet makers and all brands of .22LR are readily available.
The only thing that is hard to find that I'm interested in is .224" 55gr FMJ bulk projectiles.
I can buy boxes of 100 for $16.95 and I can even get a 5% discount if I buy 10 boxes but that's more than the $100.00/1,000 I'm used to paying so I don't buy any.
Our club brought in 1,000,000 rounds of Remington UMC .223 ammo and is selling it at $8.95/20 with no bulk discount which is still higher than the $7.00/20 we were paying for PMC before Sandy Hook but at least there is still ammo to shoot for now.
We also have access to Chinese ammo and Non Corrosive Norinco M885 is available for $499.00/1,600
One Canadian distributor who shall remain nameless told me he has an allotment of 40 AR-15 rifles per month. 40 rifles is not a huge number but in a small market it keeps things rolling.
As far as the 100,000 primers is concerned this was in February and the primers in question are Sellier & Bellot which say Made in Czech Republic on them.
I bought 5,000 for $126.00/5,000
I will buy another 5,000 in large pistol this week when I go by the range.
I hope this answers some of your questions.

Peter M. Eick
April 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
Question from theSaint

I ordered the APS primers from Powder valley. We did the most you could put in one 70 lb UPS hazmat box. I am not sure when, maybe Feb of last year? We bought 70 or 75,000 primers.

I ordered the powder also from powder valley. We did several 70 lbs shipments. Next time I will do more. My last big order was August of 2012. I always try to fill it right to the limit where I would take another box.

Bullets come from whomever is having specials. Lasercast, MBC, Midway, Midsouth, Natchez. I always try to buy in big blocks. 10,000+ bullets or more per shipment is kind of my goal. Brad and MBC ran a couple of specials and I stocked up in 12,000 bullet lots. I think I did 4 or 5 of them last fall before the election.

The key is to recognize a good price and a deal, have the money to spend at the time and have a place to pawn it off or store it. Right now I have so many bullets stocked up in my storage area it is actually a problem. I really don't know for sure what is in the pile. I am now just reloading what is on the face and digging my way back in. I figure if I have bullets, powder and primers/brass, just load it up and worry about what you need to order once the pile is worn down and the rush is over.

The true advantage of this system is this weekend. I shot 1900 rounds of 357 magnum in the last 9 days and really did not think much about it. I figure I roughly spent about $150 for lots of fun. It was cheaper than a few rounds of golf or so my friends say.

Beentown
April 28, 2013, 11:16 PM
Some buy just to buy. I know of two gents each with over 200k primers (powder was over 400 pounds for one plus all the other items)...they shoot maybe once a week, couple boxes at a time. They are still buying. They are hoarding but they always have. I think they get a satisfaction out of the purchase, more than most do when purchasing a "want".

It would help if these folks would slow their purchases if they can. Feels like we are starting to turn a corner anyway. I hold no will ill towards them at all for their obsession.

HOWARD J
April 29, 2013, 12:06 AM
I think I have enuf reloads to keep the kids & grandkids busy for 2 maybe 3 years.
Enuf components to reload all our calibers for 3-4 years.
I have asked them what will they do when I am gone---will you read some of these books & finally start reloading or will you buy your ammo if it is available.
Some of them have said "" let's sit down & show me how to do it BUT something always comes up & it never happens.
I gave up worrying about them & reloading.
I have enjoyed the hobby for about 40 years & it keeps me busy.
Happy reloading,----------------:):)
HJ

thump_rrr
April 29, 2013, 12:07 AM
Some buy just to buy. I know of two gents each with over 200k primers (powder was over 400 pounds for one plus all the other items)...they shoot maybe once a week, couple boxes at a time. They are still buying. They are hoarding but they always have. I think they get a satisfaction out of the purchase, more than most do when purchasing a "want".

It would help if these folks would slow their purchases if they can. Feels like we are starting to turn a corner anyway. I hold no will ill towards them at all for their obsession.
Just like some women with purses and shoes.
If I could get up to 10,000 bullets per pistol caliber and .223 I'd be at the point of saying I have a big enough reserve.

Peter M. Eick
April 29, 2013, 10:56 AM
Interesting you say that. 10,000 bullets per caliber was my goal also. That is what I tried to order lots in.

thump_rrr
April 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
Interesting you say that. 10,000 bullets per caliber was my goal also. That is what I tried to order lots in.
I usually load 2,000 rounds at a time which keeps caliber swaps to a minimum.
I hate messing around with the bullet feeder and case feeder to get everything perfect.

My routine was to load 2,000 rounds per caliber and when that would get down below 1,000 rounds I would load another 2,000.

This meant that I always had between 1,000 and 3,000 rounds of any given caliber at any given moment.

I would buy my pistol bullets at our club which stocks Zero Brand Bullets.
I would usually buy them once a year when there was a national shoot at the club.
They usually had a 15% discount during the event.

This year due to everything that has transpired since Sandy Hook and a major flood due to a broken sprinkler main at our club there was no special on bullets so I've been holding off on buying.

This is the time of the year where I make most of my play money so I guess I will be starting to load up on bullets pretty soon.

GLOOB
April 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
No problem, really. Unless they're burying these primers in their backyard, all their excess eventually finds its way back into the supply stream through estate sales.

The shortage really is caused by pretty much everyone, equally. It's just your average shortage, compounded by some unfortunately timed media and political stuff.

Beentown
April 29, 2013, 08:24 PM
Completely agree Gloob. Your screen name is just fun to say.

bds
April 30, 2013, 11:00 PM
Since I have plenty of reloading components on hand (I learned my lesson from the last shortage ;)), when the current shortage started, I have worked to help others in need obtain their reloading components.

I'll admit I did buy more of my favorite bullets (Montana Gold 40S&W 165 gr JHP) but I just couldn't help myself when they were in stock. I promise I won't buy anymore of the same bullets until the "shortage" improves. :o :D

Hondo 60
May 1, 2013, 03:58 PM
I'm OK on everything except Small pistol primers.
I bought 5K last August & have about 500 left.
I should've ordered 10k
So I'm beginning to sketch a bit about that.
I hope to find 2 or 3k within the next month or so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burrrp! Anyone else feeling OVERstocked?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!