just bought a m&p 15 sport.....now for the goodies

PDA

marine 97-03
April 25, 2013, 06:19 AM
Ok...I found the sporty in a store paid 699$......a little high but not bad....I put a vert grip and quad rail ....might get some off set sights and mount a 4x scope.....

If you enjoyed reading about "just bought a m&p 15 sport.....now for the goodies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluekouki86
April 25, 2013, 06:32 AM
The sky's the limit with AR accesories. You could ask 10,000 people what to put on an AR and no two would be the same.

My personal taste in ARs is a very simplistic one. I hate vertical grips, and even quad rails for that matter. If I wanted to lug around a 10 lb rifle I'd pull a Garand out of the safe.

Enjoy shooting and modifying your new rifle!

breakingcontact
April 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
$700 is a perfectly good price.

As far as accessories, that's up to you. A lot of guys put way too much on ARs. It's kind of like backpacking, big bags allow you to fill them up, full and bulky and heavy. A smaller bag forces you to think about what you really need.

ARs are the same way. You can cover the rails in gadgets or just keep things minimal.

It's supposed to be easy to customize, configure for the mission at hand. Supposed to be lightweight too. I'd just say be thoughtful in how you set it up.

M&P Sport is really a great AR though, enjoy.

marine 97-03
April 26, 2013, 12:21 AM
I may just go with a light and vert grip

marine 97-03
April 26, 2013, 12:23 AM
But.........

I have heard that the m&p sport has a great barrel on it.....and I'm curious to what kind of accuracy it can achieve

Reloadron
April 26, 2013, 09:58 AM
My opinion and just my opinion. I would find a few flavors of ammunition for your new addition. Then I would take it out and shoot it. The S&W barrel (I may be wrong on this) starts out long and finishes with a 1:8 twist, know as "Gain Twist". Nothing new but considered by many to be a good way to go in an AR barrel. I would try different ammunition in some various bullet weights.

Being somewhat of a purist I am not real big on making a rifle tacticool. I like to see how a rifle performs sans all sorts of things bolted to it. Unless you have a need for a flashlight I wouldn't be putting one on a rifle.

Take it out, shoot it and enjoy it.

Ron

mdauben
April 26, 2013, 10:53 AM
Ok...I found the sporty in a store paid 699$......a little high but not bad
I'd actually consider that a fairly good price, especially right now. I've certainly seen them selling for much more in the last few months.

I put a vert grip and quad rail ....might get some off set sights and mount a 4x scope.....
Before I got my Sport last year, I was thinking in terms of quad rails, vertical foregrips, light mounts, etc. In the end, the only thing I've done to my Sport is add a red-dot sight and I've been perfectly happy with it. I guess that's one of the joys of the AR platform, you can modify it as much, or as little, as you want! ;)

gotigers
April 26, 2013, 08:57 PM
My 15-22 is the most accurate 22 i've owned. It is better than my '81 Marlin mod 60. That with a Weaver 1-3x, I head shoot squirrels past 30 yards easy. I also use it for 3 gun practice.

I loaded mine up with OD green magpul goodies, OD ladder rail covers and the weaver scope. The 15-22 is a winner.

mf-dif
April 26, 2013, 09:32 PM
Congrats and enjoy. I say find some ammo and shoot it before modding too much. Find out what you like and don't like and address it one at a time.

gotigers
April 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
yeah, mf-dif is right. Shoot it. The mods you need personally will reveal themselves as you shoot it. Accessories are personal.

MarshallDodge
April 26, 2013, 11:40 PM
I second mf-dif. Your next accessory should be lots of ammo and a training class on how to use what you have.

There have been a few times in classes where I have seen guys pull stuff off their AR and stash it in the trunk because it actually made the gun too heavy or got in the way of what they were trying to do.

marine 97-03
April 27, 2013, 05:16 PM
I second mf-dif. Your next accessory should be lots of ammo and a training class on how to use what you have.

There have been a few times in classes where I have seen guys pull stuff off their AR and stash it in the trunk because it actually made the gun too heavy or got in the way of what they were trying to do.

Six years as a combat infantry marine......I think ill pass on the "training" course ......I was wondering what everyone else liked on there ar's....

ngnrd
April 27, 2013, 06:51 PM
With six years under your belt as a combat infantry Marine, I'd think you would have a pretty good idea of what you would want hanging off of your rifle.:rolleyes:

MarshallDodge
April 27, 2013, 09:27 PM
Six years as a combat infantry marine......I think ill pass on the "training" course ......I was wondering what everyone else liked on there ar's....

After 20 years of playing with different setups, shooting matches, hunting varmints, and taking a couple training classes, this is my current AR-

16" barrel with midlength gas system. I like midlength because it shoots a little softer and is supposed to be easier on the action. 1:8 twist because I want to be able to run 50-69 grain bullets.

VTAC free float handguard. Not really necessary for most carbine shooting but I do shoot mine out to 400 yards and try to eliminate any variables when the gun starts to warm up.

Trigger is a standard mil-spec trigger that has been touched up a little.

Optics are Burris 1-4x TAC30 with Larue mount. I also have an Aimpoint H-1 as an option. The Aimpoint Pro or T-1 wouldn't be a bad choice either and some like Eotech.

Front sight is a Yankee Hill folding sight for backup purposes. It wouldn't be my first choice but I got it in a trade and has worked out well for the last couple years. This type of sight uses a clamp-on type of arrangement but pinned is always better. I have a carry handle and the Aimpoint in my drag bag if I need to pull the Burris.

Stock and grip- collapsible Magpul MOE and a MIAD. The MIAD allows for adjustability which I like. Sling is a Blue Force Gear padded adjustable 2-point.

Some like flashlights, lasers, AFGs, foregrips, rails...all good things if you really need them. You never really know unless you get out and shoot the gun in a dynamic scenario.

marine 97-03
April 29, 2013, 12:48 AM
With six years under your belt as a combat infantry Marine, I'd think you would have a pretty good idea of what you would want hanging off of your rifle.:rolleyes:

You must not have read the previous post....what stuff does others like on there ar's:neener:

ngnrd
April 29, 2013, 02:46 AM
Fair enough.

'Course, preferences will vary based on how the rifle will be used... which you haven't mentioned. For instance, I have a Burris 3-9x50mm Fullfield E1 scope mounted on the R-15 I plan to use for predator hunting. But, irons would be a better choice for a home defense rifle. And a red dot or holo sight may be a better choice for some folks. I may find a bipod and free-float tube handy, but a vertical grip and a tactical flashlight would probably just get in the way.

So, what is your primary use for the rifle?

ford8nr
April 29, 2013, 10:10 AM
Marine. I picked up a Sport last year - love the rifle. I DID do a bbl break in of 20 shots, cleaned with copper solvent brush and patch after each shot for 5, after 5 for next 15. The bbl was dull and rough enough to start that it pulled fibers from a bore swab on the initial cleaning of the factory oil. After 20 shots the bbl was smooth and shiney. With a 2x7 scope off of bags I can hold under 1.25" 5 shot groups at 100 yds, repeatably. Limiting factor would be the creepy trigger, have stoned it twice, better but not great by any means. I shot 6 or 8 brands or 5.56 and 223 ammo and it did favor 2 brands, one 55gr and one 60gr. It does like my 68gr handloads.

lpsharp88
April 29, 2013, 04:17 PM
I have an M&P 15 Sport as well, and here's what I did:
Put a Magpul MOE Hand Guard on it - It is lighter than a quad rail, and rail sections can be added as needed
Added a vertical fore grip
Aimpoint PRO on top
Magpul MBUS rear BUIS

As far as accuracy, I haven't done any extensive or long range testing, but mine is minute of pumpkin and minute of balloon at roughly 50 yards. Good enough for me

SabbathWolf
April 29, 2013, 05:44 PM
Red dot and a light.
Maybe a sling.

marine 97-03
April 30, 2013, 12:28 AM
Fair enough.

'Course, preferences will vary based on how the rifle will be used... which you haven't mentioned. For instance, I have a Burris 3-9x50mm Fullfield E1 scope mounted on the R-15 I plan to use for predator hunting. But, irons would be a better choice for a home defense rifle. And a red dot or holo sight may be a better choice for some folks. I may find a bipod and free-float tube handy, but a vertical grip and a tactical flashlight would probably just get in the way.

So, what is your primary use for the rifle?

This is where I'm torn .... I may set it up as a home defense gun.....or see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it....

MarshallDodge
April 30, 2013, 12:32 AM
You should be able to get 2" groups or better at 100 yards. Not match grade but still a solid shooter.

breakingcontact
April 30, 2013, 12:42 PM
It's a simple, stripped down gun, I'd keep it that way. Add what you need, but not any more. Sling, light, small optic and call it good. I too prefer the Magpul forend over quad rails. But, I like the M&P Sport stock handguard as well, much smaller than the Colt M4 style.

Cooldill
April 30, 2013, 12:56 PM
Well it's whatever but the M&P-15 feels good naked. I like light when it comes to a rifle especially. I would put on a Bushnell TRS-25 with Magpul BUIS co-witnessed and throw a GI web sling on it. That is all I would need for anything I would ever need it for, saves weight and $$$ for training ammo. My Dad has a Bushmaster patrolman's carbine loaded with rails and bipods and this and that on it while my uncle has an M&P-15 essentially with the setup I just mentioned. You wouldn't believe how much handier the M&P is, it's about 50% lighter easily.

I don't really expect you to care about my setup or anyone elses, to each his own. The sky is most truly the very highest limit for what many call "the black rifle", know to most as the AR-15!!!

marine 97-03
April 30, 2013, 10:00 PM
I think a sling is a great option

readyeddy
April 30, 2013, 10:34 PM
I think you can set up your gun for both HD and accuracy shooting. A light weight 2-7X scope should offer decent eye relief at 2x and long distance capability at 7X. Or if you prefer to go with open sights for HD, use a quick detach mount with BUIS.

justice06rr
April 30, 2013, 10:54 PM
$699 is a "little high"? That is actually a steal! I bought one also for $839 last month. That is MSRP for the Sport and I gladly paid it. Congrats on your purchase.

My only recommendations are a better hanguard, a sling, and a light. The handguards are cheap plastic with no insulation at all. Buy a dual-heatshield one or a Magpul MOE. A sling is a must; I'm sure you know this being a Marine. Last is a light. Every HD/SD gun should have one. Its cheap and effective.

Here is my setup. Iron sights, quadrail with vertical grip and light.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/eiji81/E95075A3-BE27-48E2-839C-7D811C9D7A7B-801-0000007E838E9FED.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/eiji81/media/E95075A3-BE27-48E2-839C-7D811C9D7A7B-801-0000007E838E9FED.jpg.html)

Warp
April 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
Training/ammo
Sling
Training/ammo
Light
Training/ammo
Optic
Training/ammo

Yes, I read your follow up posts where you mentioned some of the things that maybe should have been in the OP.

Asking people what they like on or in their rifles is going to entirely depend on what they DO with that rifle.

But the above list is a pretty standard go-to for a general purpose/defensive rifle, although you could stop after the sling, if you really really wanted to go KISS

justice06rr
May 1, 2013, 12:12 AM
Training.. well I'm sure he can out-shoot most people out there. The thing with training is that you usually need ammo LOL.

Ammo of course is a must if you don't mind paying the premium right now.

If you have the dough I definitely recommend an Aimpoint

marine 97-03
May 1, 2013, 06:12 AM
Ammo is the thing....14.99$ for 20 rounds of wolf. FMJ .....ouch....

Reloadron
May 1, 2013, 06:20 AM
Ammunition will come down in price. Several stores like Wal-Mart are beginning to see some 223. So while bulk ammunition in 1,000 round lots have yet to appear given time things should get back to normal.

Ron

Warp
May 1, 2013, 11:02 AM

That price can EASILY be beat.

Inazone
May 1, 2013, 01:03 PM
I bought my Sport on Black Friday for just a few bucks less, and to date, I haven't really modded it. I bought a cheap NcStar 3-9x42 "armored" scope and UTG QD mount (so my crappy eyesight doesn't ruin my fun beyond 50 yards,) a Blackhawk two-point sling, and most recently, a BeamLOKR light that mounts to the barrel rather than to a rail. Total investment on those additions barely cracked $100, leaving more cash on hand for mags and ammo. The scope will probably be coming off soon now that I have another AR with a better scope, as I want to work on my accuracy with the factory sights anyway.

Speaking of ammo, reliability has been excellent with everything except Tula, which routinely fails to cycle the bolt. No problem with Wolf, Bear or any of the "name brand" store-bought stuff.

joeponds
May 1, 2013, 09:59 PM
Great S&W it's my go to.

marine 97-03
May 2, 2013, 12:09 AM
I can find plenty of wolf steel case ...but I'm worried that steel cased ammo could damage the chamber

Warp
May 2, 2013, 04:52 PM
I can find plenty of wolf steel case ...but I'm worried that steel cased ammo could damage the chamber

No.

If you want to do some good reading on cheap steel case ammo vs quality 5.56, try here:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

breakingcontact
May 2, 2013, 05:20 PM
I don't need to do lots of "training" with an AR15. Rifles are so much easier to shoot than pistols and I did plenty of government sponsored training with the AR. No I'm not some super 3-gun competitor, I just focus on training more with handguns, which are much more likely to be used for defense and harder to be proficient with.

So train and kit out your gun to whatever level you find necessary for YOU.

marine 97-03
May 3, 2013, 12:26 AM
No.

If you want to do some good reading on cheap steel case ammo vs quality 5.56, try here:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Ok thanks....good stuff Warp

TheHomelandSoldier
May 3, 2013, 01:07 AM
1) Ammo and sling. 2) Red Dot and BUIS. 3) Rails/VFG/Light if you desire. 4) More ammo. Cheers and congrats.

meanmrmustard
May 3, 2013, 07:10 AM
This is where I'm torn .... I may set it up as a home defense gun.....or see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it....
Mine prints sub MOA, five shot groups, with M855.

M193, not as good.

Barnes 55 gr. VorTx is on par with the 855, and kills deer well.

I suggest an Aimpoint Pro, good sling, lots of ammo.

meanmrmustard
May 3, 2013, 07:15 AM
Keep looking. I just bought Lake City M855 at $6.99 per 20.

The Sport will shoot steel, but why go that route? It's an unnecessary evil.

NOLAEMT
May 3, 2013, 09:24 AM
where did you find it??

Al Thompson
May 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
About the only thing mandatory on my ARs is a different pistol grip. My first carbine course, that M16A2 grip beat my hands to pieces....

For HD, I find a light is needed and a good RDS helps bunches.

As for training, you may be surprised at the gaps Uncle Sam has in his POI. With Shootrite just up the road, you have a local resource many of us envy.

http://shootrite.org/

meanmrmustard
May 3, 2013, 07:56 PM
where did you find it??
LGS, Warrenton Missouri.

If mines got it, others do too.

My Walmart has 55 gr 556 for $9.

marine 97-03
May 6, 2013, 12:49 AM
LGS, Warrenton Missouri.

If mines got it, others do too.

My Walmart has 55 gr 556 for $9.

Its coming back

Slowly but surely .....

Zardaia
May 6, 2013, 01:06 AM
I'd suggest a gripod forgrip. I love em, nice bipod when you want it built into the grip. Gripod in particular's nice, the ones my unit issued split the grip in two when deployed as bipod, and had a habit of accidental activation with little bumps. Gripod does neither.

justice06rr
May 8, 2013, 01:51 AM
Its coming back

Slowly but surely .....

Yes.. very slowly.

I bought 100rd bulk pack of American Eagle 5.56 for $50 at Dicks last week. That's still $.50/rd but I'm not complaining because its in stock. Walmarts in my area have not seen any 223/556 that I know of.

If you enjoyed reading about "just bought a m&p 15 sport.....now for the goodies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!