You Think You Can Shoot??

PDA

Leanwolf
April 25, 2013, 12:36 PM
Watch these men from "the old days."

Any of you LEO men practice this anymore?? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDP8BRSEjrA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

L.W.

If you enjoyed reading about "You Think You Can Shoot??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 12:43 PM
Rodney knew what they were going to do to him.. true story!

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 12:51 PM
I like how back in the old days they had boxes of revolver ammo divisible by six.

medalguy
April 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
Very interesting video. Do you trust your partner this much today? Hmmmm.......

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 01:07 PM
I've seen some retarded things done first-hand.. don't do that.

c4v3man
April 25, 2013, 01:08 PM
The reloading part starting at 12:25 was pretty neat to watch. The brass collectors on the shooting benches were pretty slick, if inpractical with today's autoloaders.

While I can understand the etiquette of "muzzle sweeping" changes with the cylinder unloaded and removed from the frame, I still found it comical that the rangemaster muzzle-swept the rookie several times after scolding him for the same thing. Granted when the rookie did it, it was loaded, but still...

Are they using ear-plugs, or shooting without ear protection?

An entertaining find nevertheless. Notice how during the "demonstration" portion in the beginning, the guy with chalk in his mouth and ears nearly loses his right ear when it's shot. Crazy... You couldn't pay me to do that even with an expert/grand master ranked shooter taking deliberate fire.

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
Nothing sucks more nor is better than a .38. witness

Jim, West PA
April 25, 2013, 01:54 PM
Man, that was a pretty slick setup.
I liked the old Herters resizing press.

.50 a box for reloads. :D

c4v3man
April 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
I think it was .55 cents (unless the .05 was tax). I'm sure they were reflecting on the good old days when it was .50 though... People will always manage to gripe about the price of anything.

19-3Ben
April 25, 2013, 02:53 PM
I think it was .55 cents (unless the .05 was tax). I'm sure they were reflecting on the good old days when it was .50 though... People will always manage to gripe about the price of anything.

Based on an online inflation calculator (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi), $0.50 is the same as $8.17 in 2012 dollars. I'd go out of my way to buy reload ammo at that price, but it's nowhere near as low as it sounds when you say that it's $0.50 for a box of .38spl.

Keep in mind that this video was labeled as being the LASD pistol team. Not a sampling of average beat cops.
They were darn good shooters, but wow some of those tricks made me cringe just at the thought. Jeff Cooper would have reamed them up one side and down the other!

gym
April 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
Ahh the good old days

Kiln
April 25, 2013, 03:25 PM
Wow. Wouldn't want to be the guy holding the targets or having a cigar down range of modern Cali cops.

c4v3man
April 25, 2013, 04:03 PM
The other thing I noticed is that they don't show us the distance of the trick shots. While I still stand by my position of not wanting to be downrange, whether it's at 2 feet, or at 20 yards, there is alot of difference between making those shots at 6-10ft vs 15 yards. The "dual wielding" trick shot looks to be at about 6-10 ft.

Vector
April 25, 2013, 04:47 PM
Very interesting video. Do you trust your partner this much today? Hmmmm.......

As good a shot as those guys were, I'd not trust anyone with some of those demonstrations.
That is especially true today where they hire any and everyone to be a LEO. Heck their is a female cop out there who's hands are so small she could not hold the handle and reach the trigger to pull it.
They let her on the force anyway, and she holds the handle with her right hand and pulls the trigger with her left finger. :eek:

MICHAEL T
April 25, 2013, 05:50 PM
I like fact they hit the targets That seems to be missing in todays shootings . Like boston over 200 rounds fired last week. The LA cops that fired a 100 rounds at the 2 old ladies in a PU truck . That stunt cost LA over 4 million on news other day.
Seem we have a fire as fast as you can and you might hit something attitude today.

Cosmoline
April 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
Love it! Classic stances, excellent shooting. Though it does remind me of this exchange from "Super Troopers"

Mac: How's your shooting, Thorny?

Thorny: Good. I've been dead on all morning.

Mac: What about that little guy?

[points to a bullet hole in the shooting target's neck]

Thorny: Who, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy.

Poper
April 25, 2013, 06:46 PM
Seem we have a fire as fast as you can and you might hit something attitude today.Probably comes from having a hi-cap auto loader and carrying 3 extra mags. :rolleyes:

Poper

Akita1
April 25, 2013, 07:59 PM
Wow...and one-handed! My fav was the two clay pigeons with a revolver in each hand.

gym
April 25, 2013, 08:07 PM
You only had 6 chances back then. You wanted every shot to count. Those old 38's with the full size barrel were very accurate, and they were usually the only gun that they had, not like today where we may have several in a year or two. It was the same gun everyday for 20-30 years.

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2013, 08:23 PM
That was a sweet old double-gang mold.. can't say I ever even seen one of those.. pretty cool.

mac66
April 26, 2013, 03:44 PM
Very cool video. Loved the guy who cleaned the gun for you. Also no eye or ear protection (though the rookie and instructor did put cotton in their ears).

When I was in the police academy in the mid 70's we were trained with revolvers. All shooting was done double action, no single action allowed. We did also trained with shotguns ((Hi-Standard pumps) and Tommy guns (very fun)

We were issued S&W Model 10 HB. Our firearms instructor was old school (1950s old school but not 1930s old school). He put on a exhibition for us the first day. No, we didn't hold stuff in our ears or mouths but he did shoot the edges of playing cards, strike anywhere matches, two targets at once, that kind of thing.

I love old films like that.

bergmen
April 26, 2013, 04:50 PM
Check out this trick shot at 1:24. The shot just BARELY misses his ear lobe.

Dan

JohnBT
April 26, 2013, 05:40 PM
I like the range fee sign at 9:37 - 25 cents.

dagger dog
April 26, 2013, 06:35 PM
Great link thanks !

Japle
April 26, 2013, 08:04 PM
My fav was the two clay pigeons with a revolver in each hand.

I did that trick when I was Wing Firearms Training Officer in the Air Force, except I used 25 yd bullseye targets at 10 yds.

The trick is to line up the sights on one gun and try to hold it still while you line up the other gun. When you have the 2nd gun set, look back to the 1st gun. It will have wandered a little. Get it lined up and go back to #2. Keep doing that until you look from one gun to the other and find it's still on target. Then you fire both guns. You can get some pretty good scores that way.

Shooting .38 wadcutters makes it easier to fire both revolvers at the same time. And you have to fire them at exactly the same time. No flinching allowed!

Rom828
April 27, 2013, 12:13 AM
I wish I could find out more about the last scene with the cops walking towards the targets with 1911's. LA must have been a beautiful place back then, unlike nowadays. Had to watch it over to see if they were using Smiths or Colts, yep, Colts.

Elkins45
April 27, 2013, 10:39 AM
GASP! Those guys reclaiming the bullets weren't wearing respirators or hazmat suits!

I've never seen a double gang bullet mold like the one they were using.

bigdaa
April 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
What a find. I enjoyed that immensely.

sub-moa
April 27, 2013, 11:36 AM
Weren't cops, they were USN Officers...

Ryanxia
April 30, 2013, 07:03 PM
Pretty neat. "The good ol' days". :)

If you enjoyed reading about "You Think You Can Shoot??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!