RCBS hand priming tool

PDA

Rem700CDLSF3006
April 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
hi all does anyone use on of these? Been seating on my press does it work better than a press , And are they any good

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS hand priming tool" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bwana John
April 26, 2013, 10:47 AM
I like mine, it is much easier to use.

Rem700CDLSF3006
April 26, 2013, 10:57 AM
is yours the new or older model

Walkalong
April 26, 2013, 10:59 AM
I much prefer to hand prime. I have an older RCBS. I had an old Lee hand primer and it worked well too.

DM.Logan
April 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
If its the big metal monstrosity i use it. It good but after a few hundred it will make your thumb raw!

JoeDaddy
April 26, 2013, 11:32 AM
I have the newer one (square loading tray) and I agree that it's much preferred to priming on the press. However Mr. Logan is certainly correct in that 200 rounds is about max before my hands get tired and a bit beat up.

Rem700CDLSF3006
April 26, 2013, 11:35 AM
is the new one a well made product ? thinking of picking one up at wally world later

JoeDaddy
April 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
I think so. I've done over 10k rounds with mine and it's still going strong.

jmorris
April 26, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have an older one but like the fact that the new one doesn't require you to change shell holders out.

Walkalong
April 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
200 rounds is about max before my hands get tired I have done 800 in one spell before with mine. Sure, the hand gets tired before then, but I routinely do 300 to 600 at a time. 200 is a snap. I did smooth a couple of spots on the tool with sandpaper.

Captaingyro
April 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
Put me in the hand-priming camp also. Priming by hand doesn't take much longer than feeding primer tubes on a progressive, and allows for much better feel.

If you hang around reloading forums long enough, you'll start to realize that about half of the problems people have with progressive presses involve the priming system. Eliminate that hassle, and progressive reloading becomes a real pleasure.

Don McDowell
April 26, 2013, 01:06 PM
I have both the old style and the new style RCBS hand priming tools. The old style is the one to use if your doing cartridges larger at the base than 45-70 etc as it's not quite wide enough to take the larger cases. It's great not having to change shellholders, you can prime a bunch of different rifle cartridges and never slow down.
The old style that uses the shellholder works good except for having to change the shellholder to switch cartridge, and you have to be careful about laying the thing down the priming rod will take off and wander aimlessly and become hopelessly lost.:banghead: Fortunately a call to rcbs will get a new one on its way to your door:D
I also have the lee tool, the old tool had a bad habit of breaking the thumb levers, and you can't get those anymore, and the new tool while it's thumblever is much beefier, uses a two stage lift system that is a sure way to play let's find the live primer rolling around on the floor:eek:

Rem700CDLSF3006
April 26, 2013, 02:14 PM
just went and bought one feel like a nice peice maybe use it later

slamfirev10
April 26, 2013, 02:25 PM
i used to take mine in the car whenever i had to wait for my kids piano lessons etc. and would pass the time priming, made the wait quite relaxing

witchhunter
April 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
Hand prime, I have a couple of old Lee models. They work great, I have used the new RCBS it is fine also.

renomedia
April 26, 2013, 10:35 PM
I also use the "newer" RCBS hand primer for my bottleneck cases except 223. I use the Dillon for them. I used to use the on-press primer tube setup with my ancient Pacific 07 press. After 35 years with that press/primer setup often going out of whack, I'm glad that I got the hand primer.

When I'm working up loads I can set up the different primers very easily. The old hand gets tired but it eliminates having to prime in the reloading room.

BYJO4
April 26, 2013, 10:36 PM
If you are not priming on your press, the best priming tool available is the RCBS Bench Mount Priming Tool in my opinion. It requires no leverage on your part and seats primers perfectly every time. It is also very fast and can change primer size in 2 seconds.

Match10
April 27, 2013, 02:36 AM
It's easier. Most of all it is safer because if you touch off a primer, it is not contained within your belling/sizing die and you can point it away from you. In the 600,000+ rounds I have reloaded for almost 50 years, I have had two primers go off.

FM12
April 27, 2013, 04:32 AM
Tried onw, went back to my Lee.

Reloadron
April 27, 2013, 06:54 AM
I have one and like it, as well as a few older Lee hand priming tools.

You may want to give this thread a read (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8890031). I think it demonstrates that when it comes to priming it becomes different strokes for different folks. Some like to hand prime while others prefer using the press.

Ron

Boxhead
April 27, 2013, 07:38 AM
I have one but I much prefer my ancient Lee Auto Prime though I am told the latest Lee device is ****e. I bought the RCBS because I could not prime 416 Rigby with my old Lee AP.

kelbro
April 28, 2013, 01:04 AM
Been using them for nearly 40yrs. Tried the new one a couple of years ago. Sold it and went back to the old one.

engineermike
April 28, 2013, 04:02 AM
I like mine, especially the one I have that dose not require shell holders.

biogenic
April 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
I use my rcbs for rifle loads, but I find my Lee turret does it a lot faster when I load pistol.

Rem700CDLSF3006
April 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
used it today worked great better than priming on press like that I can feel the primer seat

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS hand priming tool" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!