Lee

PDA

floydster
April 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
I like my Lee Classic Turret so much I bought another one.

Is this normal??:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boom boom
April 26, 2013, 11:56 AM
Well, you do have two hands to operate dual Turrets but synchronization might be a problem.

floydster
April 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
Boom, well now I have two turrets and Lee Classic single stage, a Hornady LNL and a C/H, I may have to use my feet also:)
I maybe going crazy.

TennJed
April 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
I have only been reloading for 3 years, but it has been exclusively on a classic turret. I love it. I typically load 500-1000 rounds a week and I cannot imagine a better machine for it. It is a good balance of speed and control.

I don't load volumes that would require a progressive. The pace of the turret is just right.

higgite
April 26, 2013, 12:12 PM
floydster, floydster, floydster, :banghead: read the instructions again. You're supposed to buy multiple turrets for one press, not multiple presses for one turret! :evil:

StretchNM
April 26, 2013, 12:16 PM
LEE is a Great American company making the best deals on reloading equipment in America. It's a shame more guys won't try them based on their low prices and the bad mouthing they get from guys who probably have never even used them (except for maybe on old little C-style press). And..... Lee doesn;t charge for an insurance policy on their equipment.

Good for you. Maybe you'll have three by this time next year(?) (((:D)))

Gadawg88
April 26, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm no doctor, but you may be suffering from O.C.T. Obsessive compulsive turret syndrome. :) I love mine too.

45lcshooter
April 26, 2013, 12:28 PM
They are nice. Get 2 more and use your feet. Good work out.

GT1
April 26, 2013, 12:29 PM
Hahaha! :D

I'd just get more turrets myself, like higgite said.

Of course if I had separate summer/winter residences, I'd definitely buy another. I love my LCT over my XL 650 any day.

On the other hand, it sure wouldn't hurt to have a replacement in case they get discontinued some day(Unlikely, it has to be a top seller for Lee). But the things don't wear out very easily, maybe if I was a young man. :p

Beentown
April 26, 2013, 01:25 PM
I may buy just another press to keep at the farm. That way all I have to take with me are dies, scale and components to work up loads.

SSN Vet
April 26, 2013, 02:53 PM
I second getting more turrets .... and setting each one up with a PAD

ljnowell
April 26, 2013, 03:41 PM
LEE is a Great American company making the best deals on reloading equipment in America. It's a shame more guys won't try them based on their low prices and the bad mouthing they get from guys who probably have never even used them (except for maybe on old little C-style press). And..... Lee doesn;t charge for an insurance policy on their equipment.

Good for you. Maybe you'll have three by this time next year(?) ((()))

Yep, thats fact. I started reloading on one of the cheapo Lee, C style presses(25 dollar press). I loaded many thousands of rounds on it before stepping up to a Lee Turret press. I love my Lee Equipment. With the exception of a single Die, all my die sets are Lee. I have the auto primer, setup, and I use the Lee scale that everyone whines about day and night. It works perfectly.

splattergun
April 26, 2013, 03:55 PM
shhhh... you're gonna wake up the bashers.

Constrictor
April 26, 2013, 05:47 PM
Probably not normal. I got rid of all my Lee presses except my hand press

StretchNM
April 26, 2013, 05:54 PM
I love my Lee Equipment. With the exception of a single Die, all my die sets are Lee. I have the auto primer, setup, and I use the Lee scale that everyone whines about day and night. It works perfectly.

I could have written that too. My only other than Lee die is a Redding neck sizer for 300 Savage. And the little Lee scale cannot be beat (at least, not for accuracy). Some guys will say they hate them, but it's really just a matter of learning how to use that scale properly. It's a little fussier than others, but the payoff is in the accuracy. (((:D)))

shhhh... you're gonna wake up the bashers.

I hear you, Splattergun, but I personally can't help it. Somebody has to wake them up! (((:D)))

frankenstein406
April 26, 2013, 05:56 PM
Yes lee stuff seems really nice for the money. Hopefully I can pick up a few more lee stuff like their simple c style press. Hopefully components come back in stock and I have extra spending cash at the time lol.

KansasSasquatch
April 26, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm not a big Lee fan but their products do have their uses. When someone asks me what press they should start with, my answer is always the same, Lee Classic Turret. It's affordable, it will allow you to learn slowly as a single stage, and when you have the process figured out it lets you produce good ammo at a fairly quick pace. There's always the possibility of "upgrading" in the future but they seem to be a good value from the start.

FROGO207
April 26, 2013, 06:04 PM
Lee is good stuff----especially for what it costs.:) You will find in short order that no matter what color the press or accessories are that they will seem to multiply all around you as time goes by.:D I have 8 presses at present time of various colors and vintages and will NOT part with any of them.:cool: FWIW a backup is always a good plan.

StretchNM
April 26, 2013, 06:04 PM
When speaking of upgrading if you own a Classic series (turret or single-stage) is to buy another Lee Classic, as Floydster did. Or....maybe buy a Forster Co-Ax. Other than that, you'll get less press for more money. Insurance costs money, so I don't blame the other makers for passing that on to their customers. When it comes to Lee Classic presses, a buyer has to get past the adage: "you get what you pay for".

KansasSasquatch
April 26, 2013, 06:14 PM
Or you'll get the same/better quality and more speed if you upgrade to a progressive. Another turret isn't a step forward, it's a side step.

StretchNM
April 26, 2013, 06:18 PM
I have never used or fondled a Lee Progressive, but I trust many of those who have. I have reloaded on a Dillon, so I think maybe that would be a genuine step up from either of the Lee progressives. I think, anyway.

GT1
April 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
Other than that, you'll get less press for more money.

I think one isn't going to improve over a LCT for three times the money. There isn't anything out there in the turret market to compare(As far as I'm concerned the other turrets are a joke, overbuilt and over-priced because they are a mechanical compromise in design. The lighter ones are wobbly because of the same inferior center post design.), let alone a single stage. The coax is a nice high end press, but as far as making better ammo, it would be hard to measure a difference.

Some folks like to hate on Lee because they are priced at a point that it is hard to accept one is getting good value, many of their products do an amazingly good job for the price. I am thankful they exist, I'd have never tried reloading if I'd had to spend twice the money to start.

foolsgold80z
April 26, 2013, 09:38 PM
I just upgraded to the Lee Classic Turret Press from the Deluxe and I'm very
pleased with it. I knock off 50 rounds every day after work in around a half hour
without hurrying to relax. For $186 I think it's a tremendous value and rock solid.
I have a 9mm turret set up and a .45 ACP turret set up and can switch them out
in a couple minutes due to changing the auto-disk.
Would I like a Dillon 650? Sure. It's just not necessary for the volume of
shooting I do.

Bush Pilot
April 26, 2013, 10:42 PM
No, buying a second Lee press is not normal. It just proves some people are slow learners :D

jerkface11
April 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
I used mine for about 6 months before giving up on it. I have nothing positive to say about that POS.

StretchNM
April 27, 2013, 01:27 AM
I just upgraded to the Lee Classic Turret Press from the Deluxe and I'm very pleased with it. I knock off 50 rounds every day after work in around a half hour without hurrying to relax. For $186 I think it's a tremendous value and rock solid.

I'm curious, who charged you $185 for a Classic Turret? Top street dollar would be $120, I think, and many vendors down around $108.

I used mine for about 6 months before giving up on it. I have nothing positive to say about that POS.

That's really too bad. It bothers me to hear that a Lee Classic press let someone down. Oh well, you can;t go up any higher, so you're now stuck with inferior products and a whopping insurance surcharge to boot. Maybe you might give the Classic another try(?)

floydster
April 27, 2013, 09:43 AM
In my opinion, if you are a reloader and don't know Lee, you don't know Jack:)

edfardos
April 27, 2013, 10:50 AM
I got a Lee taper crimp die the other day for 12 bucks. It shaved off more brass than it crimped. The insides looked like the surface of a record. Incredibly rough, no polishing whatsoever. It's in the trash.

anyhow, that's my first and last lee experience,

edfardos

joecil
April 27, 2013, 11:19 AM
I use Lee dies and with most cast bullets it works fine but their are exceptions such as WFN rounds. For those mostly 45 Colt and 45-70 I use RCBS Cowboy dies designed just for that type of bullet. Lee's are mostly designed for standard jacketed or close to spec lead cast. I've never had a problem with Lee using say a 405 gr L-RNFP for 45-70 or for 45 Colt a 255 gr L-RNFP nor any round nose shaped bullet.

floydster
April 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
My bench.

Bmac1949
April 27, 2013, 12:20 PM
I agree with Stretch about the Lee scale. I've gotten to where I actually like mine. I prefer it over a digital and it is amazingly accurate for an inexpensive scale. I will admit it is an acquired liking. I didn't think much of it at first.

Certaindeaf
April 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
floyd
Heh, I really like your clear dust covers so one can enjoy the beauty.. I just use a lame deathshroud/pillowcase.
Nice setup

splattergun
April 27, 2013, 12:31 PM
I got a Lee taper crimp die the other day for 12 bucks. It shaved off more brass than it crimped. The insides looked like the surface of a record. Incredibly rough, no polishing whatsoever. It's in the trash.

anyhow, that's my first and last lee experience,

edfardos
the shaving was a matter of adjustment. As for the polish, I would have given Lee a chance to make it right.
But I'm glad you have enough money to throw it in the trash.

floydster
April 27, 2013, 02:06 PM
Cert, the dust covers are very easy to make, heavy 25 mil vinal from the home store, this is used for covering windows--very strong and will not deteriorate from U/V rays and clear as glass.

Certaindeaf
April 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
Cert, the dust covers are very easy to make, heavy 25 mil vinal from the home store, this is used for covering windows--very strong and will not deteriorate from U/V rays and clear as glass.
Did you heat gun glue those to shape or sew or what? Does that lamp shade spin around? I really like your setup!

StretchNM
April 27, 2013, 03:04 PM
VERY nice bench there, Floydster! Impressive. On edit, I just noticed the alum channels so you can slide your presses. Hehe, very good! I should cover my equipment too, but I don;t.

I always love the guys that had a problem with a Lee die and "threw that POS in the trash". One guy even said one day he threw ALL of his Lee dies in the trash. Nobody reads the instructions or calls Lee, but everybody that has a problem with a piece of Lee equipment throws it... "in the trash".

I just want to know: Where are these trash cans and can you at least tell us right away that you threw some Lee stuff in there? I mean there's getting time off from work, driving time, increment [sic] weather, all this stuff in the way of getting there before the garbage man.

I suppose one of the downfalls of owning Lee equipment is that you have to be ready for the occasional tantrum. Warn other family members, I guess - "Honey? I just received some new Lee equipment! You and the kids steer clear of the shop just in case I can't figure this thing out, and I want to scream and strike someone!". I got my first piece of Lee equipment circa 1978 and so far, I've been spared any fits or seizures. Knock on wood.

Lee honors their products (just like the "others", only without the premium insurance payment) well beyond their stated "2 years".

kingmt
April 27, 2013, 03:35 PM
I've had a few dislikes with Lee stuff but add for problems they have always made good. When I've broke something they still replace it & refuse to let me pay.

I didn't like the hand press & really don't like the handles on my molds but for the cost difference I'll love with it. One of my handle sets keep sliding off & so did the one on the sprue plate but a call to Lee & new ones were in the mail. Now I have a few thousand dollars in Lee tools & love everything else. I don't guess I can like everything they make.

StretchNM
April 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
I agree. Not everything Lee makes is for mass consumption. I've used Dillon progressives before and I've read reviews on Lee's machines. I do not think I would order one. They occasionally fall short on other "less major" items too.

One day a couple of years ago, I broke the little pot metal handle on my Lee safety prime (hand primer). I called Lee and told them it was several years old, beyond warranty, and I broke it. "How much for just the handle?", I asked. No charge. I felt guilty. Anybody that sells quality equipment at those prices should not be giving away things for free. But it's a nice testament.

kingmt
April 27, 2013, 04:01 PM
I actually love the progressive presses. I have both the Pro1000 & the Load Master. I have never had the first problem out of ether. There powder measure is by fat better then the Uniflow & LNL I have owned. The case feeder comes with the press also & is just simple.

I did try the bullet feeder & didn't like it at all. I may have not of given it a proper chance tho.

StretchNM
April 27, 2013, 04:04 PM
.......if you are a reloader and don't know Lee, you don't know Jack

Can I borrow that for my "signature' line? (Eh.....That's a serious question)

foolsgold80z
April 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
I'm curious, who charged you $185 for a Classic Turret? Top street dollar would be $120, I think, and many vendors down around $108.

That's really too bad. It bothers me to hear that a Lee Classic press let someone down. Oh well, you can;t go up any higher, so you're now stuck with inferior products and a whopping insurance surcharge to boot. Maybe you might give the Classic another try(?)
I should have been clearer. It was the Classic Turret Kit with Safety Primers, Pro Auto-disk,
etc. Mid-South Shooter's Supply.

joecil
April 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
That is a good price for a kit depending on what is in it. FS Reloading has a Classic Turret kit for $235.49 and $108 for the press only.

StretchNM
April 27, 2013, 04:44 PM
I should have been clearer. It was the Classic Turret Kit with Safety Primers, Pro Auto-disk, etc. Mid-South Shooter's Supply.

I hear you. I kindly thought it was a package of some sort.

I actually love the progressive presses. I have both the Pro1000 & the Load Master. I have never had the first problem out of ether. There powder measure is by fat better then the Uniflow & LNL I have owned. The case feeder comes with the press also & is just simple.

I did try the bullet feeder & didn't like it at all. I may have not of given it a proper chance tho.

It's good to hear more praise for their progressives. Alot of guys that own them love them, but I have read some reviews that were not as kind, and from men who are usually sincere and fair. As I said, I have never used or even fondled a Lee progressive, so maybe the criticism from me is unfair. However, I was very impressed with the Dillon which I reloaded on more than once in the early and mid-nineties. The price is.... substantially more than either Lee.

kingmt
April 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
I have helped a lot of people get theirs going. Sadly there it's almost as many that I couldn't get then to listen to me & they have up. Some people just refuse to follow institution even after asking for it.

floydster
April 27, 2013, 06:12 PM
Cert, on the covers I just folded the ends over and stapled them, work very well.

under_dawg
April 28, 2013, 10:16 AM
I got mine in 2007 from Cabelas as a kit. I really like it. People get bent about who makes the best STUFF. It really depends on what you require from it. The guys shooting IDPA etc need lots of bullets every week or two for practice and competition. I don't blame them at all for getting Dillons and such. I am in no particular hurry, I don't compete, and I enjoy reloading. So the LCT is great for me. I take indexing rod out and put in rifle dies and load single stage when I want.

I am guilty though of buying the Auto Disc Pro powder dispensers everytime Midway has the on sale. I am going to put one every turret I have set up with dies. That along with the adjustable charge bar makes changing calibers very quick.

kostner
April 28, 2013, 01:50 PM
VERY nice bench there, Floydster! Impressive. On edit, I just noticed the alum channels so you can slide your presses. Hehe, very good! I should cover my equipment too, but I don;t.

I always love the guys that had a problem with a Lee die and "threw that POS in the trash". One guy even said one day he threw ALL of his Lee dies in the trash. Nobody reads the instructions or calls Lee, but everybody that has a problem with a piece of Lee equipment throws it... "in the trash".

I just want to know: Where are these trash cans and can you at least tell us right away that you threw some Lee stuff in there? I mean there's getting time off from work, driving time, increment [sic] weather, all this stuff in the way of getting there before the garbage man.

Lee honors their products (just like the "others", only without the premium insurance payment) well beyond their stated "2 years".

That has been my story for the last twenty five years the wife and I had side by side turret presses and after supper we would reload and talk.
Fast forward we now have one classic turret press and reload about a dozen different calibers on it. Lee has been good for us.

Lost Sheep
April 29, 2013, 01:42 AM
Please share with the rest of us specifics of your dissatisfaction. It would be helpful to anyone considering one.

I am a fan of the Lee Classic Turret but do recognize that is has shortcomings. If those shortcomings might be important to a user, you would be doing a service to anyone considering a purchase.

Or, perhaps the shortcomings can be overcome by a change in usage technique; our collective knowledge might be helpful.

Thanks

Lost Sheep

Reefinmike
April 29, 2013, 02:07 AM
Dillon 650 with automatic case feeder and bullet feeder or go home, Everything else is pure garbage

actually kidding, one year lee turret owner with well over 20,000 reloads and zero complaints on the press. 250 rounds an hour is pretty easy to do while paying full attention, I honestly dont know if I could ever trust myself behind a progressive press... just too much going on at once to keep track of.

splattergun
April 29, 2013, 12:20 PM
I have helped a lot of people get theirs going. Sadly there it's almost as many that I couldn't get then to listen to me & they have up. Some people just refuse to follow institution even after asking for it.

Agreed, kingmt. And therein lies the biggest "problem" with Lee gear, failure to follow instructions.

Before I ever bought any press I spent months researching different products. One thing I learned was that the vast majority of complaints of Lee presses was because of a 'defective operator'. I decided to take the chance and save money and bought Lee. Lee posts all the instructions to all their products on their website. I read the ones for the tools I bought before I placed my order. I knew how to assemble and operate the presses I bought before they even showed up on my doorstep. I have not had a single problem with Lee that was not my own fault. When I did break something, Lee sent me replacement parts quickly, at no charge.

If anyone is going to throw Lee products in the trash, message me first. I'll pay the postage so they can send it to me.

flipajig
April 30, 2013, 01:20 PM
I learned on a Lee Classic Turret Press and couldn't be happier I've loaded every thing from pistol to rifle ammo on it. I was given a RCBS Rockchucker II and I'm now useing it for my rifle ammo. I also have several sets of lee loading dies and Boolit molds along with a 4-20 and a 10 smelting pot. Out of all the Lee equipment that I have and use the problems that I have encountered have been very minimal when you stop and think of the several thousands rounds of ammo that I have loaded over the years any problem that I have called Lee about they have taken care of it promptly.
Flip

stavman11
April 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
I just purchased my 2nd Lee Pro 1000...

One for .357
One for .223

works Great and easy to use... Love the case feeder for .223 I can Size and de-prime 300 cases in a very short time.... then swap turret and can prime, charge and bullet......

never a hickup yet

hang fire
April 30, 2013, 05:34 PM
I had a lyman OC SS, but bought the Lee Classic cast iron, and chucked the Lyman in the corner.

kingmt
April 30, 2013, 08:27 PM
splattergun
I do the same thing.

Blows my mind people won't follow the manufactures instructions but if they find something posted in a forum they will do that. lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!