Why do I need primer flipper tray?

PDA

Katitmail
April 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
I see videos how you shake a tray and flip and pick up with tube (in case of Dillon presses).

I just got 2k of Federal primers and they all in trays of 1000 oriented one way. I'm sure I can flip them up without shaking using 2 cardboards or something.

Is there primer brands where they not oriented the same and flipper tray needed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do I need primer flipper tray?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
April 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
CCI primers are the best. You gotta flip/orient those.

SuperNaut
April 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
Is there primer brands where they not oriented the same and flipper tray needed?
Yes. Most primers are oriented in different ways in their trays.

Remington = Sideways
Wolf = Primer Cup Down
Federal = Sideways
Winchester = Primer Cup Up

etc. etc.

Katitmail
April 28, 2013, 02:21 PM
Wolf = Primer Cup Down

Even better - just slide into smooth surface and pick up. No need to flip it.

SuperNaut
April 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
Even better - just slide into smooth surface and pick up. No need to flip it.
Yep, Wolf definitely makes for a good workflow for me: Place hand-primer tray on top of Wolf packaging tray, flip over, remove Wolf packaging tray, put on hand-primer tray cover, attach to handle, rock out.

JohnM
April 28, 2013, 02:42 PM
Don't know how Wolf primers are packed since I won't use them; not USA made.
But, what's the sweat with a primer flipper?, it's just part of reloading. :confused:

bds
April 28, 2013, 02:48 PM
Don't know how Wolf primers are packed
My batch of Wolf LP primers are packed anvil side up.

Remington = Sideways
Federal = Sideways
Too funny.

CCI = Cup side up
PMC = Anvil side up
Tula = Anvil side up

Magtech = Mixed

JohnM
April 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
My CCIs, in the newer boxes, are packed normal. Some up, some down.
Don't know if I've ever seen any brand, either packed flat or on edge, that all faced the same way.
Course, I never pay much attention, they all get dumped in a primer flipper tray :neener:

ranger335v
April 28, 2013, 03:20 PM
"Why do I need primer flipper tray?"

If you ask that, you don't need one.

2bfree
April 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
Lately my CCI, SPP and LPP have them both. I just pick up all the anvil down ones first then flip for the others. Just faster for me than shaking :D

45lcshooter
April 28, 2013, 04:10 PM
I don't use a flipper tray, because I use Lee Auto Prime. It takes a step out of the process. I use a single stage press for quality not quantity.

Katitmail
April 28, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm sure I will need to figure out how to automate process a little without paying lot's of money. I didn't get flip tray from Dillon but I'm thinking I will do Lee tray mod to fill tube automatically. Any suggestions on how to fill tubes best/fastest way on a budget?

I've seen videos where guys attach vibrator to tube and it auto-fills tube. Later, they take tube and drop into press.

Is there any way I can just attach "primer filler" to press and dump let's say 500 primers at once?

Otto
April 28, 2013, 05:08 PM
I've seen videos where guys attach vibrator to tube and it auto-fills tube.
Is there any way I can just attach "primer filler" to press and dump let's say 500 primers at once?
I guess that would depend on your vibrator.
For me, I went all-out and spent $3 on a flip tray.

GLOOB
April 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
I just got 2k of Federal primers and they all in trays of 1000 oriented one way.
Yeah, they're all one way - sideways.
I'm sure I can flip them up without shaking using 2 cardboards or something.
When you figure out how to flip them all up using just 2 cardboards, let us know! That seems like it would take very steady hands.

beatledog7
April 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
Every tray of CCI I've ever opened had at least 3 or four turned anvil up. I use the tray and/or lid of my hand primer to orient them the right way.

orionengnr
April 28, 2013, 07:34 PM
You probably don't need a tumbler, either.
Actually, all you really need is a Lee Hand Loader and a mallet.

But all of those "nice to have" items really make hand loading faster, easier and more enjoyable.

A flipper tray is probably a $10 item bought new. I've bought several at gun shows for $2-4 each, and given them away.

Use one, just once, and the reason for that small investment will be obvious. You will wonder how you ever got along without one.

Canuck-IL
April 28, 2013, 07:45 PM

Probably yes - not smart though. If an accident occurs, and they do with surprising regularity even to reasonably experienced users, you'd rather have a small number of primers involved.
/Bryan

SuperNaut
April 28, 2013, 07:52 PM
Magtech = Mixed
LOL yeah, Magtech = AOFP*

*All Over the Freakin' Place

Bush Pilot
April 28, 2013, 10:48 PM
I guess that would depend on your vibrator.
For me, I went all-out and spent $3 on a flip tray.
You are a big spender LOL

noylj
April 29, 2013, 01:09 AM
Like almost all the other reloading tools, they just aren't needed--but they can make life easier.
You certainly don't need to shake 'em.
Put primers in tray.
Load all that are anvil up.
Flip tray over.
Load rest of primers which are all anvil up now.
I have seen people sit there for almost 5 minutes shaking to get that last one or two primers to flip over.
Believe it or not, I consider the Dillon to be the worst for flipping primers and the old Lee hand primer to have the best tray for flipping.

Bush Pilot
April 29, 2013, 11:10 AM
Like almost all the other reloading tools, they just aren't needed--but they can make life easier.
You certainly don't need to shake 'em.
Put primers in tray.
Load all that are anvil up.
Flip tray over.
Load rest of primers which are all anvil up now.
I have seen people sit there for almost 5 minutes shaking to get that last one or two primers to flip over.
Believe it or not, I consider the Dillon to be the worst for flipping primers and the old Lee hand primer to have the best tray for flipping.
If it takes someone almost 5 mins to flip the last two primers they probably shouldn't be reloading.

ny32182
April 29, 2013, 11:27 AM
I load about 1500/month of 9mm on a Dillon 650... everyone is different I guess, but I don't see loading primer tubes as anywhere near being the bottleneck in the process. I have 8 tubes and can load 800 primers in front of the TV in just a few minutes.

I find Wolf are the easiest to work with since they come packaged perfectly... Remove from sleeve, cap it with half of the Dillon flip tray, turn it over and remove Wolf tray, and you have all 100 oriented perfectly for picking up with a tube.

For Federals I pour them into the Dillon tray, shake... this will flip 90% of them anvil side up. Flip them, then pick up correctly oriented ones with a tube. Flip again and pick up the remainder. Takes a little more time than Wolf, but I'd have to be loading many thousands of rounds a month before I'd be thinking about buying automated primer loaders and dealing with the headaches on them that I constantly read about.

fguffey
April 29, 2013, 11:40 AM
“Believe it or not, I consider the Dillon to be the worst for flipping primers and the old Lee hand primer to have the best tray for flipping”

Then there was the problem getting all those primers from the ‘large’ Federal tray into the Lee flipper to flip.

I use the flipper tray to flip primers for primer tubes, not a problem, but, to load the primer tube the primer must have the bevel side up, and the anvil down, meaning to load primer tubes the primers must be flipped/upside down.

F. Guffey

Certaindeaf
April 29, 2013, 12:11 PM
Primer tubes.. never mind. I find it funny how many say "I can load x rounds in x time".. after I tumble, prime.. yadda yadda. No, add that time to that time and that's the time to load those x rounds.

John3921
April 29, 2013, 12:17 PM
I have a nice RCBS round green flipper tray I've had for years. Works fine - other than its diameter is about 2 primers smaller than the diagonal of a winchester or cci primer box. grr.

fguffey
April 29, 2013, 12:57 PM
I do not find ‘it’ funny, I am not even allowed to ask “How do they do that?” like ‘bumping the shoulder back .001”. I can not bump the shoulder without running into the case neck, shoulder and case body.

"I can load x rounds in x time".. after I tumble, prime.. yadda yadda” I am not a member of the claims department, I make it very clear there is nothing about reloading that drives me to the curb, and, I do not get into mortal combat with reloading, no anxieties. I work with a very few very disciplined reloaders, some build their rifles, some build, blue and make stocks, etc.. Some make mistakes, some determine the mistake made by reloaders, some determine mistakes made by those that do not read instructions.

A very fine group, and on occasions one will ask for help, as with the one that builds bench rest type rifles, he was informed by a very savvy reloader the necks on his 308 type bench rest chambers were too large, and I ask “How accurate are the rifles?” and he said “One hole groups”. I loaded up a few pieces of equipment then proceeded to correct the perceived problem, I reduced the outside diameter of the necks of his fired cases by .006”, he was left with case neck expansion of .004”, then I offered to return with a box of reamers, just in case the tighter necks were reluctant to release the bullet.

F. Guffey

JohnM
April 29, 2013, 01:03 PM
I have a nice RCBS round green flipper tray I've had for years. Works fine - other than its diameter is about 2 primers smaller than the diagonal of a winchester or cci primer box. grr.

Yeah, I wish they'd get around to making a bigger tray. Everybody's primer boxes have gotten bigger.

gacajun
April 29, 2013, 01:20 PM
I've got a Dillon 650 and 5 small primer tubes. I used to be a "primer pecker." Then I invested in one of those "vibrators" and it sure makes filling a tube with 100 primers fast...takes about 8 seconds. I load 500 rounds at a time...that's about all I'd want to do at one time. Sure makes it easier.

I have a Dillon flipper tray and they work well, its just the pecking of the primers that was persnickity.

howlnmad
April 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
I do not find ‘it’ funny, I am not even allowed to ask “How do they do that?” like ‘bumping the shoulder back .001”. I can not bump the shoulder without running into the case neck, shoulder and case body.

"I can load x rounds in x time".. after I tumble, prime.. yadda yadda” I am not a member of the claims department, I make it very clear there is nothing about reloading that drives me to the curb, and, I do not get into mortal combat with reloading, no anxieties. I work with a very few very disciplined reloaders, some build their rifles, some build, blue and make stocks, etc.. Some make mistakes, some determine the mistake made by reloaders, some determine mistakes made by those that do not read instructions.

A very fine group, and on occasions one will ask for help, as with the one that builds bench rest type rifles, he was informed by a very savvy reloader the necks on his 308 type bench rest chambers were too large, and I ask “How accurate are the rifles?” and he said “One hole groups”. I loaded up a few pieces of equipment then proceeded to correct the perceived problem, I reduced the outside diameter of the necks of his fired cases by .006”, he was left with case neck expansion of .004”, then I offered to return with a box of reamers, just in case the tighter necks were reluctant to release the bullet.

F. Guffey
Could you please explain what this has to do with primer flipping trays?

dickttx
April 30, 2013, 12:49 PM
You don't really need a primer flipper.
I started without one. I would carefully dump ten out of the box onto the bench, then use a tweezers to pick each one up and place it in the seater.
Then I blew a dollar and found it was much easier.
All these gadgets we use were not born at RCBS, Pacific, Lyman, C-H, etc. Some individual came up with an easier way to do things.

Jim Watson
April 30, 2013, 12:55 PM
An early use of the flipper was to get all your primers anvil side up so you could inspect and be sure they all HAD an anvil. QC seems to have improved and the tray is now mostly used to fill primer feed tubes.

hang fire
April 30, 2013, 04:24 PM
Don't know how Wolf primers are packed since I won't use them; not USA made.
But, what's the sweat with a primer flipper?, it's just part of reloading. :confused:

If you won't use non US made reloading components, you choice of powders must be very small.

American companies may label the containers, but chances are the powder was made in Australia or other countries.

Katitmail
April 30, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hey, OP here :)

I broke down and ordered primer tray :)

JohnM
April 30, 2013, 04:54 PM
If you won't use non US made reloading components, you choice of powders must be very small.

I'm very choosy about what I buy. There's some non US, but not if there's a choice and Russian made components aren't on the list, along with Chinese.

Walkalong
April 30, 2013, 05:30 PM
I broke down and ordered primer tray Excellent way to end this. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do I need primer flipper tray?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!