cant post in classified's

PDA

wolverine_173
April 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
So it says i have too many post in the classified's so i cant post anymore. Is there a way to delete my old ad post's. Everything i have in the classifieds is old an no longer needed

If you enjoyed reading about "cant post in classified's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikerdoc
April 28, 2013, 07:39 PM
Wolverine,

You have reached the 12 post limit in a rolling year. When you are eligible again you will be able to post.

I hope you are not suggesting we delete previous posts to give you an advantage over other members.

wolverine_173
April 28, 2013, 10:18 PM
i dont understand why you would limit how many ads a person can have.

Hilljun
April 28, 2013, 10:24 PM
i dont understand why you would limit how many ads a person can have.
I would also like to know that. It makes it hard to help each other out with parts we need.
I have not posted enough so I can't list anything.

bikerdoc
April 28, 2013, 10:37 PM
The limit of 12 is quite generous and is a benefit of productive membership.

As you can see from the forum rules we are a discussion board with a mission, not a flea market.

Code of Conduct
Welcome to The High Road, an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership. It is the declared mission of this board to achieve and provide the highest quality of firearms discussion on the Internet, a standard set by the discussion board "The Firing Line"

wolverine_173
April 29, 2013, 12:14 AM
still a dumb rule

I just wanted to post a want to buy ad

JShirley
April 29, 2013, 01:01 AM
hilljun, if you notice someone mentions they need something, you're welcome to PM them so you can offer to help them out.

Sam1911
April 29, 2013, 06:42 AM
still a dumb rule

I just wanted to post a want to buy adUnderstood. However, buying and selling in the trading post is a benefit we provide for our forum members who are regularly contributing to the discussion threads. The discussion threads are the reason-to-be of THR. The trading post is just a side benefit.

If you're here participating in discussions (adding your questions, observations, opinions, experiences, etc. to the knowledge base of our forum) then you're welcome to do a little buying, selling, and trading on the side. If you aren't here to promote the primary focus of our forum then you'll have to find some other place to buy, sell, and trade.

Creature
April 29, 2013, 06:54 AM
still a dumb rule

I just wanted to post a want to buy ad

I would counter that "dumb" is allowing hit-and-run forum members create drive-by posts to hawk their garbage here on THR.

mavracer
April 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
Wolverine,
What makes you think you should be entitled to more free threads to buy, sell or trade here?

hso
April 29, 2013, 09:05 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=681133

The limit was set to differentiate between people PRIMARILY using THR to make money as opposed to those members that had the occasional item to sell or trade or looking to find. Since those folks are using THR for commercial purposes they needed to have a commercial membership, but they don't usually want to do that ("...milk for free" and all that). So, a limit of 12 BST threads in each category in any 365 day period was established so the people using the site to make money would be motivated to change their membership or blocked from using THR as a street corner to hawk their wares and the average member with a few things a year wouldn't be affected. It was far fairer than making everyone pay a fee when they made a deal to just cut the folks primarily selling out from the rest of us into that commercial category.

It may surprise some folks to know we have some members who have 100+ BST posts for every real discussion post.

Arkansas Paul
April 29, 2013, 09:55 AM
still a dumb rule

There are forums that don't have that rule. Why don't you check them out?
As far as I know the Castboolits site doesn't have such restrictions, though they do have a minimum post requirement and maybe a time you have to be there too.

I would counter that "dumb" is allowing hit-and-run forum members create drive-by posts to hawk their garbage here on THR.

Allowing people to post hundreds of BST posts per discussion post opens the door to members being cheated. I know I'm very hesitant to buy from someone with a low post count. You are just taking a risk IMO.

I realize that this isn't what you're doing, but it's why the rule is there.

blarby
April 29, 2013, 10:23 AM
Still no sticky on the rules, eh ?

JShirley
April 29, 2013, 12:19 PM
Was that sarcasm towards the OP, or did you mean some other sticky than the Exchange's ( http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=148953)? :confused:

hso
April 29, 2013, 12:26 PM
blarby,

You mean the stickie at the top of this forum that I provided the link to?

klw1911
April 29, 2013, 09:36 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=681133

The limit was set to differentiate between people PRIMARILY using THR to make money as opposed to those members that had the occasional item to sell or trade or looking to find. Since those folks are using THR for commercial purposes they needed to have a commercial membership, but they don't usually want to do that ("...milk for free" and all that). So, a limit of 12 BST posts in any 365 day period was established so the people using the site to make money would be motivated to change their membership or blocked from using THR as a street corner to hawk their wares and the average member with a few things a year wouldn't be affected. It was far fairer than making everyone pay a fee when they made a deal to just cut the folks primarily selling out from the rest of us into that commercial category.

It may surprise some folks to know we have some members who have 100+ BST posts for every real discussion post. How does that work if the limit is 12?

hso
April 29, 2013, 09:53 PM
I don't understand.

Sam1911
April 29, 2013, 10:01 PM
How does that work if the limit is 12?The limit is NOW 12. That's new. Before, some folks went for years just posting in the trading post without actually participating in any of the discussions that are our raison d'etre. With 100s of posts in the buy/sell/trade forums, their actual content post count was still 0 or just a handful.

Mal H
April 29, 2013, 10:03 PM
The limit is on 12 new threads created per forum, not on the number of posts. We don't impose a limit on posting by anyone in an existing thread. Also, as pointed out, the limit wasn't put in place until late last year. Some members got a huge head start with literally hundreds of for-sale threads under their belts.

[Edit]
Sam and I were simulposting. ;)

klw1911
April 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Its not letting me post but i have before, and i in no way have had anywhere near 12 post in BS&T.

JShirley
April 29, 2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, but you get an explanatory message explaining exactly why you're not being allowed to post. What's your question?

blarby
April 30, 2013, 12:34 AM
blarby,

You mean the stickie at the top of this forum that I provided the link to?

No, I was referring to the rules sticky in the trading section that mentions absolutely none of this- the one that says :

" FORUM RULES FOR POSTING, ALL MUST READ BEFORE POSTING"

That mentions nothing about the cap, its reason, or its implementation.

That might be a swell place to put such a rule.

That way folks might understand how it works, and plan accordingly.

I understand that the link provided by you now explains the limit- it certainly didn't before- and its still not in a place someone would go looking for rules on the trading forum- thats all.

Mal H
April 30, 2013, 02:10 AM
blarby, when was the last time you actually opened the rules thread you mentioned?

(It was the thread John linked to in his post #14. And, no, the thread wasn't changed or added to recently.)

9mmepiphany
April 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
No, I was referring to the rules sticky in the trading section that mentions absolutely none of this- the one that says :

" FORUM RULES FOR POSTING, ALL MUST READ BEFORE POSTING"
Have you even looked there before posting this?

The notice explaining all this is the first thing under the heading.

hso
April 30, 2013, 01:45 PM
klw1911,

I see a S&W Shield thread that didn't fly because you forgot to put the state in the title. Is there another that you're having problems with?

blarby
April 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
I stand corrected- as of 04/21 it appears it is there !

*takes the beating*

It wasn't there when my ban went through- it looks like it was added in the middle of that week if I remember my dates correctly.

Mal H
April 30, 2013, 03:31 PM
No, it was actually added to the rules threads on 4/6 by me. The last-edited timestamp you saw is for a minor edit bikerdoc made to the thread.

Moparnut
April 30, 2013, 11:42 PM
Can anyone look at the classifieds? I have looked for it before and could not find it. Does the post count go towards the ability to see the section?

Moparnut
April 30, 2013, 11:45 PM
I don't know how I could have missed that. Maybe I wasn't logged in at the time.

Mal H
May 1, 2013, 12:55 AM
That was probably the case. The Trading Post forums are visible only to logged in members.

bigdaa
May 1, 2013, 11:20 AM
I also wanted to post in classifieds but was denied.

Was I frustrated? Yup. Did it ruin my day? Nope.

I was directed to a thread that went on and on and on about the subject.

That never happened to me on any other forum I visited that had inherent classifieds.

Sure, there was one Motorcycle related forum I belong to that had a 25 post requirement to "enjoy" the classified privilege.

I never came here with the explicit idea of using it as a marketplace. I've got GA and GunBroker for that.

But I did have an item that is totally germaine to the reloading section in terms of supplies in a tight market. That was the frustrating thing for me. I couldn't offer it to specifically fellow loaders.

Now, I do not need nor do I want further moderator or administrator guidance on this, but I did want to make it public for educational purposes.

It's just my 2.

hso
May 1, 2013, 02:00 PM
Odd, you don't have anything remotely close to the limit and there wouldn't be any reason for the system to block you.

Jackal
May 1, 2013, 02:02 PM
It is well known that we need a "middle ground" approach to this limit of 12. I dont like scalpers who spam forums with sale ads anymore than anyone else does. However, long time contributing members should be allowed some way of overcoming the anti spam 12 limit. Either through a nominal annual fee ($10-20) or by a join time/post count ratio. Many folks like me are regular posters on the discussions, but are also collectors. As collectors, we are prone to fancies and buy/sell all the time. This is actually fun, due to the fact that many times we get to meet other members face to face and make friendships outside of the online boards. I for one have reached my sale limit (quite quickly, due to selling parts of my collection quickly, at good prices, to pay for my divorce). This negatively affects me, hurts my experience on the forum (who doesnt like to log in and see a PM saying "I'll take it"):D, ruins another members chance of picking up a nice gun/ammo/accessory at a good, reasonable price and the ability to meet a fellow member for a sale/cup of coffee.

Long story short, there needs to be a way around it, through contributions, either monetarily or by adding to the knowledge base/continually improving this online community. It would be good for everyone.:)

bigdaa
May 1, 2013, 02:05 PM
Well, here is what I get:

NOTICE - if you are seeing this notice, you are not eligible to create any new threads in the Trading Post forums.

We have made some changes in the Trading Post to prevent abuse from members who are here primarily or solely to sell their items in those forums.

Two types of members will be able to create new threads in the Trading Post:

1) Commercial Members who help fund site costs will have access to their own section of the Exchange.

2) Other Members who have reached a certain number of posts and who have been members for at least 30 days will be able to create threads in the Private Sales section of the Trading Post. To prevent meaningless posts such as "me too!" posts, we will not say how many posts are required to gain Trading Post privileges. Posts such as that may be deleted at the discretion of the THR staff. Please don't attempt to bypass the criteria in any way. Doing so may result in a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

THR is primarily a discussion forum and the Trading Post is only a side benefit for good established members; it was never meant to be the only benefit. This long overdue change corrects that oversight.

Note that all members in good standing will still be able to post in all threads in the Trading Post forums, the new criteria only prevent the creation of new threads. The number of new threads allowed over a 12 month period as detailed in the Trading Post rules remains unchanged.

Does this make sense to you given your observations, hso?

And I don't have anything remotely close to the limit because I've not used the classified for the reason that I am blocked........................for some reason. Maybe it's because a mod chose to "give" me a point for what was considered one "drive by" posting.

bikerdoc
May 1, 2013, 02:29 PM
Bigdaa,

You joined on 4/12/13 on 5/13/12 you might be eligible. that is the only reason you are blocked
See below

Other Members who have reached a certain number of posts and who have been members for at least 30 days

bikerdoc
May 1, 2013, 02:36 PM
Jackel,

You realize it 12 per category.

You may have reached your limit in parts (accessories), but not in rifles.

Handguns is also 12, as is reloading.

That totals 48 opportunities to post in a rolling calendar year.

And as a collector there is no limit on purchases only sales.

bigdaa
May 1, 2013, 02:37 PM
"Other Members who have reached a certain number of posts and who have been members for at least 30 days"

That makes total sense and thank you bikerdoc!

Dave

PS..................bikerdoc of what species?

If motorcycles, I never met a bike I didn't like.

Arkansas Paul
May 1, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mods, I'd stop trying to explain it.
You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time.

It does suck for guys like blarby, who have a few thousand posts and obviously contributes a lot to the forum.

Beentown
May 1, 2013, 02:54 PM
Ratio of posts to sell threads solution?

Jackal
May 1, 2013, 02:55 PM
You realize it 12 per category.

You may have reached your limit in parts (accessories), but not in rifles.

Thanks for letting me know bikerdoc, I actually did not know that. How about this. Make a new category in the User CP that shows the dates/sale thread count that a user has left on the sale threads. Such as "handgun sales- 2 of 12, rifle sales 5 of 12, etc" and list the starting date of the first sale thread (so folks know when they can post another after 365 rolling days pass by)? That would be an easy way for members to track their progress and remove some of the mystery involved. :)

Beentown
May 1, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for letting me know bikerdoc, I actually did not know that. How about this. Make a new category in the User CP that shows the dates/sale thread count that a user has left on the sale threads. Such as "handgun sales- 2 of 12, rifle sales 5 of 12, etc" and list the starting date of the first sale thread (so folks know when they can post another after 365 rolling days pass by)? That would be an easy way for members to track their progress and remove some of the mystery involved. :)

:thumbup:

Great idea!

Mal H
May 1, 2013, 04:13 PM
A great idea that is impossible for us to implement in the vBulletin software. If each individual can't keep track of their own threads in the Trading Post forums, then they aren't putting much effort into it.

klw1911
May 1, 2013, 09:30 PM
So i can't post because i forgot to put the state in the thread even though it is in my location,sounds kind of petty to me.

Sam1911
May 1, 2013, 09:36 PM
The rules for posting in the Trading Post are very clearly presented at the top of each sub-forum. If posts don't meet the requirements, we usually just remove them. We even have a SECOND sticky thread that just says "Did your thread disappear?" And inside, "Then read the rules, please!"

The Staff assigned to that area of the forum doesn't make enough to be tasked with editing to fixing errors or sending a personal message to everyone who goofs it up. So we provided a guide, and then we provided a signpost pointing back to that guide to try to help people figure out how to get it right on the second try.

bikerdoc
May 1, 2013, 09:47 PM
So i can't post because i forgot to put the state in the thread even though it is in my location,sounds kind of petty to me.

Nope nothing to do with forgetting the state. Everything to do with only 19 posts in 14 months.

Walkalong
May 1, 2013, 09:48 PM
So i can't post because i forgot to put the state in the thread even though it is in my location,sounds kind of petty to me.Not petty, just too much time involved to try to fix them. There is also no way to be 100% sure what state the poster is selling from, even if there is a state after location: under their user name. It may be outdated info.

Then of course there is the post minimum and thread limit.

9mmepiphany
May 2, 2013, 12:38 AM
That might make sense if we were to look beyond the thread title...we don't.

What we do is delete every thread which doesn't have a state in the thread title.

However, it is moot until you attain the threshold of posts to gain access to the Trading Post...the same threshold applies to all members equally

Rangemaster
May 8, 2013, 06:39 PM
I have some stuff to sell but I still can not post to the classifieds.
What do I need to do in order to post?

I have not posted anything yet, keeps saying I don't have permission.

9mmepiphany
May 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
Re-read the conditions you need to meet to post in the Trading Post; you don't meet both of them

Rangemaster
May 9, 2013, 08:41 AM
I re-read and it states being a member for 30 days and a certain number of posts.

What is that number?

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 10:05 AM
Undisclosed.

Just participate as normal and it will open up for you.

(No reason to encourage folks to pad their post count to hit some "magic" number.)

Rangemaster
May 9, 2013, 09:06 PM
Ok thanks

fallout mike
May 10, 2013, 08:37 AM
I have a question too. Can a mod just give me a call so I wont have to read the guide? Thx

Robert
May 10, 2013, 09:27 AM
Please read the rules and if you still have a question we would be happy to help.

hso
May 10, 2013, 09:53 AM
Can a mod just give me a call so I wont have to read the guide?

You forgot the ;) indicating you were making a joke.

Someone might mistake that for a serious request that an unpaid volunteer moderator spend even more time to call at their expense to explain to a member that doesn't pay for a free service what is readily available to be read at that member's leisure. But I suppose no one would actually ask such an absurd question so the inherent humorous nature is apparent. ;)

fallout mike
May 10, 2013, 02:59 PM
HSO, well, in person I would not indicate it was a joke. I would leave you to wonder if I was being sarcastic or not. Which obviously I am in this case. Your response is hilarious! You guys have more patience than I. And y'all do a great job.

Al Thompson
May 10, 2013, 04:58 PM
Can a mod just give me a call so I wont have to read the guide?

We do sell a deluxe printed version for $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

:eek:

;)

hso
May 10, 2013, 05:20 PM
A fellow fan of the deadpan delivery.
:D

If you enjoyed reading about "cant post in classified's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!