fun targets

PDA

taliv
April 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
i was messing around today and decided to set up some mid-range hostage scenarios. these are 3 spin drift auto poppers. the last pic is through an S&B MSR reticle on 25x at just past 600 yards. The heads on the two smaller targets are just a hair under 3" square.

http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/spindrift2.jpg

http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/spindrift3.jpg

http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/spindrift4.jpg

anyone else set targets up like this? or do something with steel targets to simulate "cover" or "hostages" like IPSC uses black paint and white targets respectively?

If you enjoyed reading about "fun targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chaser_2332
April 28, 2013, 10:37 PM
looks like a blast Tom, only bad thing i see is that your practicing way too much for the FL match this weekend!!

taliv
April 28, 2013, 10:54 PM
heh no, actually i only shot 7 rounds this weekend. solid rain except for a few min this afternoon.

MarshallDodge
April 28, 2013, 11:00 PM
Who makes the targets?

Are they auto-resetting?

chaser_2332
April 28, 2013, 11:02 PM
spin drift is the name of the company, they do auto reset

BullfrogKen
April 29, 2013, 12:45 AM
I do like those targets.

esheato
April 29, 2013, 01:14 AM
I want an MSR reticle sooooo bad. Anyone need a 5-25 P4F? :scrutiny:

Demos
April 29, 2013, 10:38 PM
I use 40% scale steel targets and clay holders to do something similar, but not nearly as fancy. We mount the clays on either side of the steel at head height and set back a few inches so they don't get broken by splatter from the steel. One clay will have the orange side facing us and the other the black side. We then paint the steel different colors so when we walk back to the line it looks like we have either a black or orange "bad guy" with only his head showing over the "hostage" steel's shoulder. We then alternate shots with the other calling out something like "orange bad guy with the green hostage" and the quickest shot wins, hitting the hostage loses, and loser has to walk down range to put up a new set of clays.
I also have some 3" square steel targets that I would like to use instead of the clays so we don't have to reset as often, but I haven't found a good way of cheaply mounting them.

taliv
May 12, 2013, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnudopyZ47k&feature=player_detailpage

video of shooting this setup. goal was for first shooter to shoot the white target, and the second to hit the black target behind it.

targets are 600 yards from the shooters

Walkalong
May 13, 2013, 08:22 AM
With the auto reset you have to be quick. Looks like fun.

MtnCreek
May 13, 2013, 09:54 AM
Bing doesn't know where to find Spindrift. Anyone have a website address?

Thanks!

LNK
May 13, 2013, 10:15 AM
Bing doesn't know where to find Spindrift. Anyone have a website address?

Thanks!

Try here....
http://forum.snipershide.com/s4-sniper%92s-hide%AE-equipment/88548-blackhawk-targets-now-spin-drift-tactical.html

LNK

Sorry,you are right. Here is what I could find...I don't have facebook, I think they hava a facebook page...

Beentown
May 13, 2013, 10:23 AM
Link goes to a dummy site.

taliv
May 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
huh, bummer

it used to be spindrifttactical.com i think, but that's dead. and the google links all point to snipershide.com threads from before they switched forum software so those all take you to the main page instead of the specific thread.

walkalong, yeah you do have to be fast!

MtnCreek
May 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
Probably best that I couldn't find those targets; they look expensive.

I'm still inspired. I'm going to try hanging an IPSC target w/ a 6" circle behind and off to the side of the head. The down side to the little circle targets is the time it takes for them to settle down after a hit (hung from chains).

chaser_2332
May 13, 2013, 11:46 PM
Tom has all the cool stuff!!

loose noose
May 14, 2013, 03:20 PM
Good looking targets Tally, I've got one popper that was homemade using old bed springs to reset the target, and a whole bunch of swinging targets, that I set up at different distances, as well as a shooting tree. It tis a kick to get out and hear the clang of the steel. Just out of curiosity what did one of your poppers cost if ya don't mind?:D

taliv
May 14, 2013, 03:54 PM
two of them i paid $5000 for (total) but that included a remote control so that from up to 1000 yards, i can press a button and make the target come up and another button to put it down (so i can do stuff like hide the target and make it appear in a field for 30 seconds and then put it back down, as a practical challenge so the shooter has to find and range and shoot unknown distance)

the two little ones i got used for a lot less.

btw, i think larue still sells similar targets on his website, but i don't think they're remote control at all, so somewhat cheaper. i could be wrong on that

edit: yeah, i know that's a lot to spend on targets, but i do host matches. i wouldn't spend that just for me plinking sunday afternoons

taliv
May 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
on a semi-related topic, anybody know how to get better video off an iphone? the pic in the first post and the video are the same 25x on the scope. what am i doing wrong? aren't these things supposed to take HD quality video?

If you enjoyed reading about "fun targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!