Powder Truck

PDA

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 29, 2013, 04:17 PM
This s the powder truck making deliveries to Friendship. There will be plenty
Of powder at the shoot in June.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/120c92f62e69345357373d1f29fe8aa4.jpg
This is just Swiss and Schuetzen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Truck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdauben
April 29, 2013, 05:57 PM
Dang! Wish I was going... :(

BlackNet
April 29, 2013, 06:42 PM
They make pit stops? :)

4v50 Gary
April 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for posting the picture. Interesting how it is compartmentalized into several boxes.

JerZsquid
April 29, 2013, 10:53 PM
Friendship?

EljaySL
April 29, 2013, 10:57 PM
@JerZsquid - Friendship, Indiana. They have a bunch of muzzleloader events there.

TheOld Man
April 29, 2013, 11:00 PM
RE:Friendship?
@kwhi43@kc.rr.com...This is your chance for a free plug. Tell us about Friendship...Where?..When?..What events..? Advance tickets..? Etc..? Etc..?

BlackNet
April 29, 2013, 11:20 PM
http://nmlra.org/

http://nmlra.org/nmlra-bp-preorder/

The NMLRA is accepting preorders for black powder sales during the June National Shoot. Simply purchase your powder now and pick up your powder during your time in Friendship for the June Spring Shoot. Powder must be ordered by Friday, May 24th. You will receive an email later announcing when you can pick up your powder starting on Saturday, June 8th.

ivankerley
April 29, 2013, 11:27 PM
i'll be there hopefully, if not then in the fall (only went once last year)
Thats an awesome sight, i recommend going there at least once if possible
really cool and an interesting mix of people:D
Gene

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 30, 2013, 01:05 AM
I have been going for over 20 years. First went there and shot in 1977. We
Stay all week. You can find me on the pistol line.

Busyhands94
April 30, 2013, 01:51 AM
Phil, when you said powder truck something totally different came to mind.

I was thinking more of an ice cream truck setup, only for gunnys like us. What I'm thinking about is a truck nearly identical to an ice cream truck, except it sells black powder, lead and caps. If it plays "To Arms in Dixie" instead of the usual ice cream truck tune that would make finding it easier. ;)

Just like being a kid all over again. Sept' I wouldn't chase that powder truck on my one speed Schwinn bicycle. Noooo, I'd chase it in my 89 Silverado yellin' "YEEEEEHAWWWW!!!" :D

A man can dream can't he? :rolleyes:

BlackNet
April 30, 2013, 01:53 AM
I was thinking more of an ice cream truck setup, only for gunnys like us. What I'm thinking about is a truck nearly identical to an ice cream truck, except it sells black powder, lead and caps. If it plays "To Arms in Dixie" instead of the usual ice cream truck tune that would make finding it easier.

That is just it, he *DID* post the ice cream truck :)

Jim, West PA
April 30, 2013, 08:29 AM
I never gtot to haul nothin that cool :(

4v50 Gary
April 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
Jim, I wouldn't want to haul anything like that. Then again, there's plenty of worse things on wheels today. I wonder if those shipping containers are insulated and what the DOT regulations are with respects to the Holy Black?

BlackNet
April 30, 2013, 10:13 AM
These appear to be type 4 powder magazines. The inside is all 100% WOOD. They also have options for HVAC setup for precise temp/humidity control, obviously these do not.

BlackNet
April 30, 2013, 10:28 AM
Low Explosives

Low explosives deflagrate producing a large volume of heated gas. Low explosives, such as black powder, most display fireworks, safety fuse, igniters, igniter cord, fuse lighters, etc., must be stored in:

Type-1, -2, or -4 permanent, portable or mobile indoor/outdoor magazines.

Type 4 magazines: building, igloo, tunnel, dugout, box or mobile facility. fire/weather/theft-resistant; masonry, metal-covered wood, fabricated metal, or combo; walls and floor must be constructed of, or covered with, non-sparking material or latice work. doors/covers metal or solid wood covered with metal. foundation: brick, concrete, cement block, stone, or metal or wood posts. if piers or posts used in lieu of continuous foundation, space under the building must be enclosed with fire-resistant material.

WALKERs210
April 30, 2013, 10:54 AM
My niece and her late husband drove for a company that hauled explosives every day. She explained how the truck was setup with the different compartments which made it more safe than I would have expected. One thing she did say was "You only Get ONE mistake" but then you would never know anything about it.

Jim, West PA
April 30, 2013, 06:24 PM
Jim, I wouldn't want to haul anything like that. Then again, there's plenty of worse things on wheels today. I wonder if those shipping containers are insulated and what the DOT regulations are with respects to the Holy Black?

Oh, i have indeed hauled worse Gary. Or , should i say more dangerous.
I have no clue what today's regulations are but i can tell you that 20+ years ago
there was a list of 'em.
No tunnels, no residential areas,no schools, driver never allowed to be more than 100 feet from the truck and the truck was NEVER allowed out of your sight,truck never within 500 feet of any occupied building, very strict logs showing exactly your time behind the wheel and asleep, no smoking by the driver.
Must be plackarded on all 4 sides as you can see.
No clue what today's regs are.

Hard to imagine that that load is all goiing to one place. IF, each of those containers are full and say each container empty weighs 1000 pounds. That's 40,000 pounds of black powder.( depending on what the wagon weighs. Not sure 'bout a drop deck )
It's hard to even fathom that 40,000 pounds of black powder would even be shipped all at once. Just imagine if that driver wrecked and they started to explode. Even just one container of 5000 pounds going off. :what:
Then again, i'm not sure if a container of black powder is subject to sympathetic detonation. Anyone know ?

Jim, West PA
April 30, 2013, 06:28 PM
One thing she did say was "You only Get ONE mistake" but then you would never know anything about it.

Amen to that WALKERs.
But, i would haul explosives any day over flammables just for that reason.
I'd much rather go BOOM than burn.

EljaySL
April 30, 2013, 06:42 PM
When my wife worked with high explosives I was very happy that they were in very small quantities. Micrograms or something like that. She's kind of a klutz...

BlackNet
April 30, 2013, 07:44 PM
I am wanting to say 500 pounds per magazine but I am not 100% positive on that.

WALKERs210
April 30, 2013, 08:00 PM
Company I drove for didn't haul explosive or that much HazMat material, however we were constantly picking up and delivering to several chemical companies all over the US. At one place we had to attend a safety meeting prior to going onto company property. Told us to remove our clothing and boots before going into our homes. In 2007 I found out I had cancer, and in 2009 I found out that 7-9 drivers I ran with also had cancer. Makes you wonder just what all crap we were exposed to. Think it would have been much better with one big BOOM rather than this long slow process.

newbuckeye
April 30, 2013, 08:08 PM
Here is a write up about a powder truck that crashed in Utah back in 2005. They found parts of that truck a mile away and the 2 drivers got out alive.

http://www.donnunn.com/spiel/2005/08/utahs_highway_6.html

Busyhands94
April 30, 2013, 08:36 PM
WALKERs210, I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Cancer is a really unfortunate condition and I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Newbuckeye, that's a pretty interesting article. It's surprising how nobody got killed, definitely a warning of the power of explosives. I wish they'd specified what kind of explosives were being carried.

BlackNet
April 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=92793

You know it’s incredible when even the firefighters are taking pictures.

Sounds like a good tag line :)

WALKERs210
April 30, 2013, 10:00 PM
If someone can use Photoshop or other type software and zoom in on the placards you can get an idea as to what the truck is carrying. It looks like two different colored placards one orange the second yellow, and with my eyes it looks like an oxidizer.

Lunie
April 30, 2013, 10:49 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=92793

Sounds like a good tag line :)
"The driver of the truck was flown by Air Med to University Hospital, to the burn unit to be treated for his injuries. He is listed in stable condition tonight and is not expected to be hospitalized for much longer.

Of course, the good news that we can report tonight is that everyone survived this terrible accident. The Transportation Department now faces a huge reconstruction project on Highway 6, the likes of which it's never seen."

April 30, 2013, 11:49 PM
newbuckeye

That is absolutely incredible.

FWIW: as a newly retired professional firefighter: if we were taking pictures of anything, on duty, we would be facing possible termination. But, with something like this, they might make an exception.

Jim, West PA
May 1, 2013, 12:03 PM
If someone can use Photoshop or other type software and zoom in on the placards you can get an idea as to what the truck is carrying. It looks like two different colored placards one orange the second yellow, and with my eyes it looks like an oxidizer.

Orange would be EXPLOSIVES.
OXIDIZER would be yellow.
I can't see a yellow one with my bad eyes but that doesn't mean it aint there.
Those signs are 'flip' signs and one could have flipped from EXPLOSIVES to OXIDIZER.
They all look orange to me.

JessieAMorris
May 1, 2013, 12:18 PM
BlackNet asked me to post here.

I'm a Spanish Fork native. I lived in Spanish Fork at the time that truck exploded. Here's (https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Main+St&daddr=US-6+E%2FU.S.+89+S&hl=en&sll=40.005703,-111.504117&sspn=0.251407,0.528374&geocode=FVoWZAIdhEhY-Q%3BFdRpYgIdU8Za-Q&t=w&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=12&z=12) a Google Maps link to about where I live and where the explosion happened. If you look at the point "B" you can see how it blew out the side of the mountain. This was a big explosion.

Luckily, somehow, no one died. It was a pretty incredible thing, though. You could hear it down in the valley, 15 miles away, easy.

Highway 6 is also a large traffic highway. It carries a large majority of the traffic heading from the west to Colorado area.

Patocazador
May 1, 2013, 02:01 PM
Exactly what was the truck carrying in the way of explosives (Utah)?

Jim, West PA
May 1, 2013, 02:28 PM
Exactly what was the truck carrying in the way of explosives (Utah)?
According to the article that will not be disclosed.

newbuckeye
May 2, 2013, 12:12 AM
The only thing that has ever been said as far as the cargo was "Industrial grade explosives". They won't disclose it because they don't want to scare the holy bejeasus out of the public. If people only knew what those colored diamond shaped signs meant......

I used to travel that road a lot, and yes, it was an incredible scene. Those rail road tracks were blown out of place and twisted, a feat not easily done.

Jaymo
May 2, 2013, 06:54 PM
I agree with you, Jim. If I had to pick between those two ways of dying, I'd pick the kaboom. Burns are the worst, whether chemical, radiant, flame.

That powder truck is impressive. If I had that much powder, I'd go to the range every day, and hunt every weekend.

Gaucho Gringo
May 4, 2013, 12:17 AM
Busyhands94, you are an incredible young man. Your prior post shows that. You are compassionate, knowledgeable, articulate, intelligent, curious and adventurous. I have been following your posts for a while and if there were many more young people like you, the future of this nation would be in good hands. Just wish there were more like you. Oh I am sure you sometimes stray from the straight and narrow, but who hasn't in their lifetime. Anyone who says differently is a liar, it is all a part of life. It is how you conduct yourself the other 99% of the time that counts. I will end this post and hope it doesn't destroy your humility.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Truck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!