Powder Burn Rates...

PDA

jstein650
April 29, 2013, 09:27 PM
Nothing really new here, but after seeing a lot of newbie reloaders' questions, burn rate often comes up. What struck me about this one is that it's probably the most comprehensive one I've seen that's up to date.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Burn Rates..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bds
April 29, 2013, 09:56 PM
Well, W231 and HP-38 has been the same powder since 2006 and the burn rate chart shows them to be different (they should be right next to each other) and the chart does not include Winchester AutoComp or Alliant e3.

I think Hodgdon's powder burn rate chart (http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html) may be more up to date as they list W231/HP-38 next to each other and also lists AutoComp and e3.

Here's another powder burn rate chart I reference but it doesn't show AutoComp or even WSF - http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/burn_rates.pdf

Walkalong
April 29, 2013, 10:11 PM
They are all relative.

Hondo 60
April 29, 2013, 10:16 PM
Ya, unfortunately it doesn't include one of my favorites either
(Accurate #5)

I like Hodgdon's chart too.

jstein650 - didn't mean to rain on your parade. :(

jstein650
April 29, 2013, 10:24 PM
No. 5's not on there??? Hell.. No, some rain's OK. I guess a 100 percent accurate, complete and up to date chart is not so simple. Stuff changes.

bds
April 29, 2013, 10:27 PM
But I do thank you for posting as Walkalong indicated powder burn rate charts are very useful in comparing "relative" burn rates when a particular powder is not available and another "relative" burn rate powder is.

When I couldn't find W231/HP-38, I used the burn rate chart to verify Green Dot as "relatively" close to W231/HP-38 and ZIP to be very close.

Jesse Heywood
April 29, 2013, 10:43 PM
The charts are not only relative, but powder burn rates vary with each batch. With as many powders as there are, the differences can be miniscule.

Mr. Farknocker
April 30, 2013, 09:29 PM
I'm no rocket scientist here but it would seem to me that burn rates might be just one characteristic of a powder for comparative purposes and the reliance on rate of burn, alone, is insufficient to match powders, grain for grain. It would seem to me that amount of energy per volume (measured in Joules?) released would also be a significant factor in matching alike powder.

1911Tuner
May 1, 2013, 06:10 AM
They are all relative.

This! The factor that many don't understand is that charts only provide a small part of the answer.

In a standard closed bomb test, two powders that are next to each other on a chart can either be very close in burn rate...or very far apart.

And how quick or slow a powder burns in a cartridge depends a few things, too. A given powder will burn faster as peak pressure goes up. i.e. 4 grains of Bullseye with a 158-grain lead bullet in a .38 Special case will burn faster than 3 grains, all else equal.

bigdaa
May 1, 2013, 10:20 AM
The fastest powders are a study for me. I'm still back in the Bullseye years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Burn Rates..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!